Star Trek Page 50

• Page

of 82 First / Last

• RichieTenenbaum 3 Sep 2013 20:59:41 2,228 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think Voyager is a bit 'light' for most people. I know that lack of continuity and some of the inconsistent characters annoyed me
  • RyanDS 3 Sep 2013 21:08:41 9,847 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    I think Voyager is a bit 'light' for most people. I know that lack of continuity and some of the inconsistent characters annoyed me
    It has taken me 5 seasons to love it.

The trick is to treat it like the Twilight Zone, with each episode an independent story and no continuity. It was difficult to adapt to after DS9 with the overarching plots and story arcs, but is still quite good.
  • RyanDS 6 Sep 2013 12:55:10 9,847 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So has anyone picked up the second ship? Was supposed to be out yesterday but I could not find it.
  • TarickStonefire 6 Sep 2013 13:09:12 3,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I always thouht Voyager was okay, at the time, but then I never bothered with Deep Space Yawn and apparently that was a mistake. But I prefer the stuff that goes travelling through the universe whereas DS9 was very much (space-)stationary most of the time.

Badum tsh.

Anyway, the missus recently had a bit of a TNG marathon having never seen it before (!) and it was only after we tired of that and tried some Voyager that I finally realised what everyone meant about Janeway being the worst captain ever.

Shouty, bossy, arrogant, divisive, snappy, and prone to ignoring most of the advice she ever received from crew. Gah, I get it now.

EDIT: The missus tried a single episode of Enterprise and turned it off after ten minutes. She almost didn't even make it through the opening theme tune. Was that purposely designed to be the least engaging, least Star-Trekky series of all time, destined from the start to be canned? It sure seems like it :(

Edited by TarickStonefire at 13:10:32 06-09-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 6 Sep 2013 13:16:08 3,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Me too :(

I'd like a nice 12 episode series, with great effects and fantastic characters exploring new worlds and tackling difficult problems. Also set in the future, long after other Trek.
    Wprth noting the rose tinted view of all Star Trek this evokes.
    Oh totally. It's like an old relationship. The bad times melt away and all you have are done memories and emotions. And then suddenly you're crywanking in the shower whilst you tell yourself that Continuum is the only Sci Fi you need in your life but it's not, it's just not the same.
    I've really tried to love Continuum but it's just weak. It's this decade's The 4400 - a grand idea, tenuously scripted and disappointingly executed. It's not Fringe and they know it.

• GiarcYekrub 6 Sep 2013 13:20:20 3,857 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish they'd put X Files on Netflix
  • TarickStonefire 6 Sep 2013 13:21:11 3,430 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    I wish they'd put X Files on Netflix
    It was all there about 6 months ago. We must have got through the lot in about a month, another one the other half had inexplicably NEVER seen.

It's gone now, though, you're right.

• BigOrkWaaagh 6 Sep 2013 13:21:33 2,310 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS o/
  • Jmek 6 Sep 2013 13:25:16 1,358 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well issue 2 of the official starships collection with the Enterprise refit, and issue 3 with the Klingon bird of prey turned up today. The bird of prey is awesome, really well painted with tons of detail. The Enterprise is a bag of shite. The paint scheme is all wrong, there's no detail and the saucer section on mine is poorly fitted and angled to the left. I'm frankly baffled by the drop in quality.
  • PenguinJim 6 Sep 2013 13:35:39 6,010 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    EDIT: The missus tried a single episode of Enterprise and turned it off after ten minutes. She almost didn't even make it through the opening theme tune. Was that purposely designed to be the least engaging, least Star-Trekky series of all time, destined from the start to be canned? It sure seems like it :(
    I tried a second run-through of Enterprise this year (having not seen it since it originally aired), and think I made it into the second season before just... giving up. I'm not the sort of person who gives up like that. It was just unwatchable filth. Every subtlety was slapped into my face. Every tense situation was undermined by actively wanting most of the crew to die. The stories would have been poor and clichéd fifty years ago. And how did T'Pol ever seem attractive? I'd whizzed through Voyager a few months earlier, and decided to replace Enterprise with seasons 3-7 of DS9 instead. So much better. As someone else here said, Miles better.

But I did love the Enterprise theme tune. The first time I heard it, a few hours after the American airing was available to download, surrounded by my geekier friends, I almost fell off my chair laughing as soon as the lyrics crooned in. :D Awful, cheesy rubbish that was the best thing about the show.

Oops, I didn't mean to type any of that. I'd just seen "Zimmerman's Wife Files for Divorce" on the BBC News Website earlier and wondered what had happened to poor Lewis. That was what I wanted to type!
  • LeoliansBro 6 Sep 2013 13:39:37 44,956 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jmek wrote:
    Well issue 2 of the official starships collection with the Enterprise refit, and issue 3 with the Klingon bird of prey turned up today. The bird of prey is awesome, really well painted with tons of detail. The Enterprise is a bag of shite. The paint scheme is all wrong, there's no detail and the saucer section on mine is poorly fitted and angled to the left. I'm frankly baffled by the drop in quality.
    Oooh, decision time. Do I hold out for the Oberth, which could a) be as bad as the Enterprise refit, and b) might not happen at all, or get the BoP.

What position are the wings in?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Jmek 6 Sep 2013 16:17:34 1,358 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Jmek wrote:
    Oooh, decision time. Do I hold out for the Oberth, which could a) be as bad as the Enterprise refit, and b) might not happen at all, or get the BoP.

What position are the wings in?
    Straight out to the sides. "Flight" position I guess? I don't think they move,although I haven't tried to move them.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Sep 2013 16:20:54 44,956 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, horizontal for flight, down for attack, up for landing. Hmmm, might have to get involved.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• DanB24 7 Sep 2013 21:43:04 2,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    DanB24 wrote:
    Is that the one with the "Emergency Command Hologram? :D :lol:
    Yep.

Straight into one of my top three episodes ever.

It is just so much fun! Worthy of sitting alongside the TNG finale and In The Pale Moonlight.
    Awesome. :)
    And found the clip lol

Edited by DanB24 at 21:43:17 07-09-2013

Edited by DanB24 at 21:44:19 07-09-2013
  • gammonbanter 14 Sep 2013 02:34:25 1,519 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can I shock you - I like the enterprise theme tune!

"It's been a long time getting from there to here"
    Isn't that the essence of Trek!? That we will all eventually move away from the way we live now and move to the near as damn it "Utopian" future.

Also, the video montage that goes with surely pleases sci-fi and science fans alike - great images of the Apollo astronauts and mars rovers - love it!

Yeah Enterprise wasn't great but I soldiered through and enjoyed what I could! (Robocop was a such a good baddie they recruited him for the big screen)

TOP TIP - never watch so so sci fi with your better half, they don't have the patience / are too normal to appreciate it =)

/pissed
  • DanB24 14 Sep 2013 07:48:49 2,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thing about Enterprise is if you make it to the final series it's worth it. Almost every episode is a multi parter and all of them tie in to things that will happen in TOS or TNG.
    I felt it had finally found its feet when it got axed.
  • Ged42 14 Sep 2013 19:28:46 7,807 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The thing I hate about the Enterprise theme song, is that I gets stuck in my head way to easily and I end up humming it for the next few days.
  • Whizzo 14 Sep 2013 19:39:08 43,356 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Manny Coto taking charge for the fourth season is almost certainly the reason it was actually worth watching.

Brannon Braga and Rick Berman returned and shat all over it with "These Are the Voyages..."

This space left intentionally blank.

• gammonbanter 15 Sep 2013 16:28:27 1,519 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Braga and Berman should not be let anywhere near Trek anymore - one of them used to go out with 7 of 9 though!
  • DanB24 15 Sep 2013 17:35:01 2,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The final ep was fairly pants yeah but the very final scene was epic though.
  • mcmonkeyplc 15 Sep 2013 19:53:36 39,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :'(

Come and get it cumslingers!

• DanB24 15 Sep 2013 23:23:26 2,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It gets me right there too mate. For me that's pretty much the last scene of proper Star Trek ever. :(

Edited by DanB24 at 23:25:43 15-09-2013
  • Phil-McCrack 17 Sep 2013 05:21:28 3,356 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    https://wilwheaton.net/2013/09/wil-wheaton-wearing-wesley-crushers-sweater/

:lol:

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• DrStrangelove 19 Sep 2013 01:43:15 4,657 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    I always thouht Voyager was okay, at the time, but then I never bothered with Deep Space Yawn and apparently that was a mistake. But I prefer the stuff that goes travelling through the universe whereas DS9 was very much (space-)stationary most of the time.

Badum tsh.

Anyway, the missus recently had a bit of a TNG marathon having never seen it before (!) and it was only after we tired of that and tried some Voyager that I finally realised what everyone meant about Janeway being the worst captain ever.

Shouty, bossy, arrogant, divisive, snappy, and prone to ignoring most of the advice she ever received from crew. Gah, I get it now.

Yep, Janeway is pretty bad. So bad that you could start arguing if she or Kirk was the worst starfleet captain ever.
  • bad09 19 Sep 2013 16:34:48 6,255 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm so hooked on the starship collection, subscribed for freebie crack samples. Gazed at models. Waiting for binder and bird of prey and NX-01 aching for light up borg cube and Defiant like a fucking saddo child git virgin. Installed ST: Legacy and ultimate mod (get in). Watching Trek.

Geek. Love it.
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Sep 2013 16:39:10 25,628 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha, excellent!

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• bad09 19 Sep 2013 16:48:39 6,255 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Haha, excellent!
    If I can find it I have Elite Force 2 somewhere I'm whacking in to. I'm right in Trekkie head right now. Fuck JJ...
  • CosmicFuzz 19 Sep 2013 16:54:41 25,628 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God I loved Elite Force back in the day. Never played the second one. I remember thinking that the CG bits showing Voyager etc were like watching the show the graphics were so good! (I was like 12...)

It also took like a year to load each level, including each individual cutscenes.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• DFawkes 19 Sep 2013 16:59:17 24,053 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What is this Legacy mod you speak of? I quite like a bit of Legacy, though STO overshadowed it for me. Is it a campaign mod or multiplayer?

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• bad09 19 Sep 2013 17:04:56 6,255 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    What is this Legacy mod you speak of? I quite like a bit of Legacy, though STO overshadowed it for me. Is it a campaign mod or multiplayer?

Only way to play
  • Page

of 82 First / Last