Star Trek Page 48

• Page

of 82 First / Last

• BinaryBob101 26 Aug 2013 16:17:20 24,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought these partworks had a nasty habit of not finishing the complete run, as people become less and less interested, so demand decreases hugely.

I might be wrong though.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• DFawkes 26 Aug 2013 16:23:46 24,045 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least it's not a model that you get parts of each month. If those stop, you're stuck with an unfinished thing. With this, you just end up with fewer ships :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• RichieTenenbaum 26 Aug 2013 16:24:37 2,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd probably buy more copies if the magazine was any good. Shame it's so content free.
  • bad09 26 Aug 2013 16:26:13 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    I'd probably buy more copies if the magazine was any good. Shame it's so content free.
    Yeah the magazine is fairly light reading, but lets be honest, no one is buying these for the magazine.
  • RyanDS 26 Aug 2013 18:33:44 9,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bastards.

Thanks to this thread I asked my wife to pick me up a copy of the magazine if she saw it as I was intrigued.

I am now going to have to buy them all aren't I? They can sit in front of my entire DVD collection.

Such a waste, expensive, cheap shit and a very light magazine.

BUT I MUST HAVE THEM ALL!!!!

Damn you.
  • bad09 26 Aug 2013 18:40:12 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS

:)

We are the useless tat collectors. Existence as you know it is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own and collect loads of pointless plastic shit. Resistance is futile.
  • Jacksie66 26 Aug 2013 18:46:12 574 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was going to order the magazine but canceled the subscription. Cant bring myself to pay 15 Euro every 2 weeks for a little ship.. Plus im going to New Zealand in a few weeks for work..
  • bad09 26 Aug 2013 19:43:36 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Jacksie66

Little?
  • CosmicFuzz 26 Aug 2013 19:50:05 25,590 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Jacksie66 26 Aug 2013 20:26:46 574 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought it was going to be true to life size...
  • DFawkes 26 Aug 2013 23:46:20 24,045 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just been looking at a few pics of what to come and saw this pic:

Not the biggest of images, but there's definitely a DS9 there so I guess it's in :) The same post also posted this longer provision list, from the trial run:

1-11 Same as newer confirmed list
    12 Ferengi Marauder (now changed to Akira)
    13 Akira (now Jem'hadar Cruiser)
    14 Same
    15 Prometheus (now Equinox)
    16 Valdore (now Ferengi Marauder)
    17 Equinox (now Dauntless)
    18 Same
    19 Enterprise-E (now Stargazer)
    20 Xindi Insectoid ship (now V'orcha)
    21 Raptor (now Enterprise E)
    22 Jem'Hadar Fighter (now Krenim ship)
    23 Same
    24 Surak (now Xindi Insectiod ship)
    25 Delta Flyer (now Prometheus)
    26 Breen warship (now Tholian)
    27 Krennim Temporal Weapons ship (now Romulan BoP)
    28 Enterprise-C (now Maquis Fighter)
    29 Galor (now Jed'hadar Bug)
    30 Stargazer (now Nausican Fighter)
    31 Borg Queen's ship
    32 Dominion Battlecruiser (I think this is 13 now but I'm not sure if Jem'hadar Cruiser = Dominion Cruiser)
    33 Maquis Fighter (now 28)
    34 RBoP (now 27)
    35 Hirogen Hunter
    36 T'plana Hath
    37 Proto KBoP
    38 Enterprise-J
    39 Son'a Command ship
    40 Runabout
    41 Klingon D-5
    42 Romulan Drone
    43 Enterprise-B
    44 Dominion warship (I think this is now 29, again not too sure)
    45 Malon Freighter
    46 Starfleet Scout Ship (Insurrection)
    47 Scimitar
    48 Relativity
    49 Tholian ship (now 26)
    50 Goroth's Klingon Ship
    51 Kelvin
    52 Son'a Collector Ship
    53 Xindi Reptilian ship
    54 Oberth
    55 Suliban Cell ship
    56 The Phoenix
    57 Fesarius (glowing pearls)
    58 Steamrunner
    59 Xindi Aquatic Cruiser
    60 Vulcan Warp Shuttle
    61 Saber
    62 Hideki
    63 Enterprise-A
    64 RBoP (2150's)
    65 Dauntless (now 17)
    66 Holoship
    67 Scorpion Fighter
    68 Norway
    69 Enterprise (TOS)
    70 Species 8472 Bioship

NO NUMBERS
    Borg Probe
    Enterprise-E Captain's Yacht
    Borg Cube (we now know that's a subscriber bonus)
    Galileo Shuttle

SPECIALS
    Deep Space Nine
    JJ-Prise
    Space Stations

Some interesting (I know, I'm finding new meanings for the word interesting again) bits and pieces. Some cooler ships have been moved until later, others moved forward. They sure know how to keep people in the game until late though - TOS Enterprise at issue 69! Enterprise A at 63. DS9 whenever they feel like it, really. I'm a bit disappointed at no Narada too, but then again it is a very early provisional list that's already changed (All Good Things Enterprise has been added, for starters).

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• RichieTenenbaum 27 Aug 2013 00:37:36 2,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You don't have to buy it all. I know I'll just get the TOS, DS9, Voyager and the NX-01. Would look nice enough on display. Could do without the rest.

I know the magazine is never going to be good. But Trekkies are gonna pick this up. Making the magazine interesting to trekkies might just tip me over the edge of buying some of the other issues. I mean, it really is just buying a model at the moment as the magazine is nothing. I imagine putting together a real magazine might just be too expensive, though.

Would be nice if we saw some reprinted comics. Some more shots from the TV show. A few interviews with the cast...

Edited by RichieTenenbaum at 00:38:20 27-08-2013
  • gammonbanter 27 Aug 2013 00:47:43 1,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why oh why isn't there trek Lego!? I know there is that other brick brand that has the license - but it's shit!
  • RichieTenenbaum 27 Aug 2013 00:54:18 2,226 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, it's awful.

To be honest, if you look in Forbidden Planet most Trek merch is bit second rate. Guess it's just not as cool as Star Wars.
  • bad09 27 Aug 2013 15:54:18 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Just been looking at a few pics of what to come and saw this pic:

Ah man I need the DS9 model, all the models I've found where crappy small things or big airfix stuff and I've never been the type to paint those things well.

Also, look at the size of that borg cube, it has lights in it to apparently! May have to subscribe to get that and the future Enterprise. :)

FYI I've just seen a TV ad and the same company are doing one with Doctor Who characters as well.
  • LeoliansBro 27 Aug 2013 15:59:41 44,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, how would one buy a particular copy of that magazine if one wanted a particular model? (Sorry if that's a very dense question).

Keen on getting myself an Oberth. And I'm intrigued to see what they do with the Norway model, given that it was the Defiant skin stretched over a mesh which has since been lost.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• bad09 27 Aug 2013 16:06:37 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

You basically have to wait for that issue. They come out fortnightly on a Thursday and it only started last week so you are in for a wait I'm afraid.
  • LeoliansBro 27 Aug 2013 16:11:15 44,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I see. And where would one keep an eye on which release was currently available to buy?

• bad09 27 Aug 2013 16:26:36 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

Well you could keep an eye on their website

http://www.startrek-starships.com/eng/index.asp

I don't know how set in stone that order Dfawkes listed is but you could work out when it's likely to come and mark it on a your calender.
  • LeoliansBro 27 Aug 2013 16:43:09 44,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oooh ta.

• oldschoolsoviet 27 Aug 2013 17:52:27 5,549 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, good luck finding specific issues.....

Years spent running News+Mags sections tells me you'll be lucky to find partworks on general sale past the 3rd or 4th issue. Past that, sellers will only take them in for specific orders/subs made by customers. Not to mention the frequent cancellations as the profits drop off - those 200pt ship models that are cancelled after the 79th issue etc linger in my memory leaving folk with nowhere-near-complete models. :D

So, I'd check whether you can order them direct from the publisher, or get really pally with a local newsagent who'll order for specific weeks.
  • bad09 27 Aug 2013 18:33:19 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:those 200pt ship models that are cancelled after the 79th issue etc linger in my memory leaving folk with nowhere-near-complete models. :D

Not that it matter with this kind of collection but can they really do that legally? Surely the fact they sell those things as a "complete" model from the beginning means they have to complete it?
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Aug 2013 19:11:18 5,549 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nope.

The ship one I recall was in the Raw Deal/Sunday Post, where they offered the guy the remaining parts at a ridiculous cost, without magazines, and they only relented because the paper was involved.

They're designed to maximise initial subs, knowing full well people will lose interest after a while. No profit writing/editing/publishing a tat rag purely to attach some bits to it for a circulation of a few hundred/thousand. The number of die-hard OCD types I've seen burned......lots.

DeAgostini was one of the worst. 100+ issues 'planned' which would 'mysteriously' be cancelled by the 60/70th issue several times, or desperately padding out installments past the 50th just to squeeze a bit more money from it (Jewellery box one, where the boxes shrank significantly or were repainted repeats).

Sigh, partworks are evil. The quality of these might be above average, but I'm willing to bet you'd be better taking a small chance with a decent Chinese eBayer for comparable models at a far cheaper cost.
  • bad09 27 Aug 2013 19:24:22 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet

Wow that's pretty crap, surprising they get away with it actually but I suppose if they offer the rest of the parts for a price (even if silly) legally they are covered. Glad I normally ignore partworks stuff though. :)

I'm not to bothered about that with this one myself as said above the choice for Star Trek models are surprisingly poor compared to something like Star Wars so I'm up for this one and if they do cancel early 70 is a bloody lot anyway and most of what I want is pretty early on anyway :)
  • RyanDS 27 Aug 2013 19:45:29 9,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Same here.

Although if they cancell before the DS9 special I will be pissed.
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Aug 2013 19:56:27 5,549 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    25/26 a year ? I'll be surprised if it reaches 50.

@LeoliansBro

Awww, it's soooo cute !
  • bad09 27 Aug 2013 20:01:58 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS

Yeah all the others are really nice but as long as I can at least one model of all the Enterprises, Defiant, Voyager (all of which I'll have by issue 10) and that sexy DS9 to go with my DVD/blu collection I'll be happy enough.
  • RyanDS 27 Aug 2013 20:19:56 9,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    @RyanDS

Yeah all the others are really nice but as long as I can at least one model of all the Enterprises, Defiant, Voyager (all of which I'll have by issue 10) and that sexy DS9 to go with my DVD/blu collection I'll be happy enough.
    For me the must haves are...

From TOS: Enterprise - Bonus of Warbird and Bird of Prey
    From TNG: Enterprise, Bird of Prey, Warbird, bonus of Borg
    From DS9: Defiant, Jem Hadar cruiser, Ferengi cruiser, The DS9 station itself. Ferengi as bonus.
    From Voy: Voyager.... Actually no other ships really at all.
    From ENT: Enterprise, I haven't watched the series yet, so not sure what else I want.

Then stuff like the Breen, Ferengi, the Shuttlecraft etc are just icing on the cake.
  • bad09 27 Aug 2013 20:23:05 6,254 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS

They'll be a chance you may have to make do with the TMP refit Enterprise as TOS is issue 69 :)
  • RyanDS 27 Aug 2013 20:25:45 9,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyway, back onto the series, I am halfway through season 5 of Voyager and it is the most fun I have had in Star Trek in years.

Partly it is new, when I watch DS9, TNG, TOS etc, I am watching old friends, but for me late Voyager is like having a new series. And it is actually rather good.

When it is bad, it is the worst Star Trek ever, and I genuinely despise half the crew. But some of the stories and plots are just so fucking good. Just watched Thirty Days, Counterpoint, Latent Image and Bride of Chaotica! 4 episodes on one disk and all are 8/10, a first for any disk so far.

DS9 for me was mostly 7/10 with dips to 5/10 and some 10/10. TNG was 3/10 to 9/10.

Voyager is some 0/10, some 10/10 and some negative numbers which are genuinely hateful, but when it hits those highs, it is fantastic.Such a random quality show.
  • Page

of 82 First / Last