Star Trek Page 40

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2013 09:58:28 78,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Voyager is the best trek series, by a mile
    No, DS9 is the best. Voyager and TNG are somehow roughly equally naff for completely different reasons.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• StarchildHypocrethes 14 Apr 2013 10:00:30 25,914 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 10:00:51 14-04-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 14 Apr 2013 10:02:35 24,378 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Voyager is indeed naff, but TNG has the nostalgic factor for me and the better sense of family that Voyager lacked.

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2013 10:15:15 78,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Voyager's characters were absolutely terrible and most of them became completely obsolete by around halfway through the series. Banana Tores would just be the annoying bint whose only purpose was to spew technobabble to explain the flimsy premise of some plot mechanic, Chipotle never really had any purpose. Tom Paris and Harry Kim were the horrific combination of smug and perpetually naive. 7of9 and the Doctor were pretty much the only reason to watch, well, that and the utterly sterling writing, while the characters were bargain bucket, and I've said this before I'm sure, the stories were by far some of the best trek has had. Saying that, it also had some of the worst as well.

TNG had the characters down pat, there were a few weak people in the mix, like the Krushers, but on the whole they were solid, even if it did take a few seasons before most of them became likeable, the problem with it was it ignored it's own rules far too often, and the quality of writing was by far the worst of all the series. It also feels heavily dated, even for it's time. If anything, it was carried by the quality of the acting.

DS9 is easily the best though, great stories, great story arc, amazing characters and character growth, some of the darkest, most experimental and most thought provoking episodes in trek. The thing about it was that while it wasn't so much a good trek series, it was undeniably great TV.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:21:02 14-04-2013

• Dirtbox 14 Apr 2013 10:19:21 78,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, and Enterprise was fucking awesome. It would have been at the top of the list if it wasn't so horribly let down in the last season when they dropped the axe.

• Jmek 14 Apr 2013 10:44:44 1,328 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The original series was by far the best. I've been watching all three seasons recently and it's pretty mind blowing just how far ahead of it's time and yet very much of it's time the show was. And the holy trinity of Kirk Spock & McCoy is just unbeatable.
  • M83J01P97 14 Apr 2013 11:08:10 6,661 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deep Space 9 was the best Trek series simply because the producers and writers were pretty much left to it. While Voyager was by no means 'bad' I did find it to be terribly hit and miss, but you could often tell there was a great idea struggling to burst out of the series if it wasn't strangled by the tight control the network had over the show.

I remember reading somewhere that the Year of Hell two parter was originally pitched as a season long story arc for the show whic I imagine would have been handled in a similar way to the Xindi story one from Enterprise, by mixing gradual story arc development with weekly episodic stories. That would have been great I think, but sadly the network threw around the dreaded "but what about syndication!" argument but choked Voyagers creativity.

I think Voyagers biggest mistake was not deciding on a ending to their story sooner, they had seven years to think of a way to end the story and get the crew home, but it appears as if they left it to the last minute and ran out of ideas by the time they reached season seven. The slap-dashed ending they gave the show is inexcusable.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 11:28:59 14-04-2013

Edited by M83J01P97 at 11:29:15 14-04-2013
  • malloc 14 Apr 2013 11:23:32 2,346 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It felt like Voyager and DS9 took a while to get going. For me DS9 tapered off, I didn't really love the war or find the crew very credible during it. Still enoyed it though. Enterprise was quite good, but too long to get going and then overshot itself.
  • RyanDS 14 Apr 2013 11:41:10 9,387 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrDigital wrote:
    Why don't you like Voyager?
    From memory?

The cast all hated each other and that showed on the screen.
    Neelix... eeurgh
    The central premise was criminally underused. It would have been awesome watching the ship gradually decay and the tension in the crew mount. However this was rarely if ever actually used.
    Chakotay - Why was he even on the show?
    Reset button
    No arcs, the best thing about DS9 was the arcs, the fact they went back to self contained stories (syndication) was a waste.

Actually, I think I just didn't like anyone on there. From memory I can remember being annoyed by people (Chakotay, Neelixm Belores, Janeway, Neelix, Kim, Neelix, Kes, Neelix) but only remember liking the doctor. Whereas when I think about DS9 I love Dax, Sisko, O'Brien, Bashir, Quark, Nog, Rom, etc. Same goes for TOS and TNG. Those I remember the people I love, but Voyager I remember the people I hate.

But saying that, I haven't watched it since the original run, and I stopped after 2 seasons and then only caught it intermittently, so maybe I'll like it more this time around.

Edited by RyanDS at 11:41:30 14-04-2013
  • MrDigital 14 Apr 2013 11:56:19 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's fair enough. I liked it quite a bit, but I did tend to watch whilst falling asleep, so I'm not sure what that says about my views on it :p

I did a Google search and found this post from another forum which makes quite a fair point.

They're the only Federation ship in an uncharted land, with no means of resupply, no friendly ports, no means to repair or replenish. And yet, on a ship with less than 200 crewmen, they crash a shuttlecraft every other episode, go through photon torpedoes like water, and have enough redshirt casualties to depopulate the ship three times over.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• bad09 14 Apr 2013 12:10:08 5,906 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MrDigital

That is from someone who didn't see it I think :)

They resupplied along the way trading with many friendly races :)

Edited by bad09 at 12:19:46 14-04-2013
  • bad09 14 Apr 2013 12:19:32 5,906 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It seems the crew number is massively wrong there actually which proves his point more they didn't even number any near 200!

From wiki

"USS Voyager was launched with 141 crew on board. After the starship was flung to the Delta Quadrant, several crew members were killed, including several senior officers, namely, Lt. Commander Cavit, the first officer; Chief Medical Officer Fitzgerald; Lieutenant Stadi, the Betazoid Helm Officer; and the chief engineer.
    As of 2377, the crew complement was at 146, having gained some crew from the Maquis, the Equinox, Samantha Wildman's child Naomi, and several liberated Borg drones, including Seven of Nine and Icheb."
  • thelzdking 14 Apr 2013 18:04:23 4,367 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Two words: Elim Garak.
  • DrStrangelove 14 Apr 2013 18:22:03 4,013 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For me, TNG is still the best. One reason may be that it was the one I watched first as a kid, but I think more importantly, it has Picard.

Stewart as Picard is not only a great character, but also acting far beyond anything else in Trek history.
  • MrDigital 14 Apr 2013 20:05:08 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I loved DS9's actors with the exception the first Dax (the one from Becker). She was completely abysmal... Very attractive but out of all the Trek actors I can think of, she was the least convincing, and that is quite an achievement considering some of Star Trek series actors.

• jonsaan 14 Apr 2013 20:17:55 25,352 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ezri Dax is super sexy. PHWOAAAR

FCUTA!

• OptimusPube 14 Apr 2013 20:32:20 3,034 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    For me, TNG is still the best. One reason may be that it was the one I watched first as a kid, but I think more importantly, it has Picard.

Stewart as Picard is not only a great character, but also acting far beyond anything else in Trek history.
    Amen brother.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• jonsaan 14 Apr 2013 20:34:30 25,352 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DS9 for me. A superb series.

Wine me, dine me, Deep space nine me.

FCUTA!

• themanfromdelmonte 14 Apr 2013 21:28:53 580 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jonsaan

I'm knicking that.
  • jonsaan 14 Apr 2013 21:50:44 25,352 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @themanfromdelmonte Greg Proops, not me.

FCUTA!

• Dirtbox 24 Apr 2013 15:43:01 78,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

• LeoliansBro 24 Apr 2013 15:46:47 44,275 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Every Trek has a few stand out acting performances. For me:

TOS: Leonard Nimoy, I guess Kirk and Bones as well if you're stuck in the 60s.

TNG: Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner.

DS9: Garak, Alexander Siddig (special mention to Avery Brooks for his insistence on showing he's angry by BARKING (breath) EVERY (breath) WORD)

Voyager: let's not talk about Voyager.

Enterprise: Trip.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• DFawkes 24 Apr 2013 15:51:55 22,983 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Doctor for Voyager, surely?

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• LeoliansBro 24 Apr 2013 15:52:40 44,275 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah Robert Picardo for sure, but I just don't want to bother with Voyager because it is unutterable shit.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• gammonbanter 7 May 2013 21:27:44 1,499 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well my TNG re-watch continues, series 7 has started strangely.

Sub Rosa was so bad it was funny, what the flip happened there! =/

But, it was then followed by the very touching 'Below Decks' which more than made up for it.

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• OptimusPube 9 May 2013 23:17:07 3,034 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lol.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• BillMurray 10 May 2013 00:28:24 7,744 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its baffling that I've never noticed that before. At first I thought the first couple of clips were outtakes.
  • MrDigital 18 May 2013 02:36:48 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was bartending in Edinburgh today and heard two people talking about Star Trek at the bar. I was desperate to chat to them since none of my friends like Star Trek but it was too busy :'(

• OptimusPube 18 May 2013 08:30:12 3,034 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrDigital wrote:
    Was bartending in Edinburgh today and heard two people talking about Star Trek at the bar. I was desperate to chat to them since none of my friends like Star Trek but it was too busy :'(
    Oh that would have killed me.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• GiarcYekrub 18 May 2013 09:24:35 3,774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hey lay of the Voyager bashing... Latent Image, living Witness, year of hell, scorpions, equinox, futures end, course: oblivion, message in a bottle, raven & real life are some top quality Trek

As for Enterprise I didn't like that they'd diverged from the prime timeline in the first episode but as Trek pilots go it was one of the best but the temporal cold war went on too long. Personally the final season redeemed it in my eyes when Coto got control, that said there is one excellent early episode on a desert planet
  • Page

of 78 First / Last