Breaking Bad Page 88

• Page

of 96 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 7 Oct 2013 01:11:27 8,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For some contrast, here's a negative review of the finale.

I was tickled by the thought that the last half of the episode was Walt's fantasy, and not what really happened. That would have been a cool ending.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2013 02:25:12
    The "it's all a dream" is an interesting theory, but it's already been pretty heavily debunked by Gilligan himself, as far as I know, stating directly that it's unambiguous. I've seen lots of people really really reaching to try and justify it, though.
    "Jesse has a beard and he's dreaming about building a box...a carpenter...HE'S JESUS."
    "Gray Matter donated $28 million! 28 is the atomic number of nickel. Something, something, nickel, meth!"
  • Mola_Ram 7 Oct 2013 02:28:28 8,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh, I know it isn't true. I was just saying, it would have been a cool way to finish, and a nice explanation for why the last episode appeared to be stacking the whole deck in Walt's favor.

On another note about "whatever happened to...", what about Lydia's daughter? Poor kid is going to be an orphan now, same as Brock. :(

Edited by Mola_Ram at 04:14:16 07-10-2013
  • yegon 7 Oct 2013 09:24:29 5,416 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That article, I do agree that Uncle Jack taking umbrage at the suggestion that he was partnered with Jessie, and then wheeling him out to prove otherwise, was out of character. The guy was an ice cold pragmatist who surely wouldn't care what Walt thought based on their previous encounters.

Edited by yegon at 09:24:49 07-10-2013
  • sirtacos 7 Oct 2013 09:43:59 7,378 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    An ice-cold pragmatist wouldn't have let Walt walk away with a barrel of cash after the shootout in the desert, either. The only ice-cold pragmatist in the entire series is Gus.

Edited by sirtacos at 09:44:57 07-10-2013
  • yegon 7 Oct 2013 09:47:36 5,416 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Disagree.
  • yegon 7 Oct 2013 10:03:27 5,416 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fair point, but Uncle Jack seemed so uncaring of Walt's opinion previously, it'd have been more in character imo if he'd shrugged and laughed.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Oct 2013 10:08:19 8,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well yeah, come to think of it, after humiliating a guy, almost killing him, killing his half brother, and taking all his money, perhaps leaving him with 9 million dollars isn't the smartest thing to be doing.
  • Salaman 7 Oct 2013 10:21:40 19,604 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A fair point a friend made the other day.
    Walt has his grey matter chums launder his money for him by setting up a trust fund for Walt Jr.
    Why only Walt Jr? There's Holy too. Shouldn't he have had tie the money into two trust funds?
  • M83J01P97 7 Oct 2013 10:25:36 6,711 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    A fair point a friend made the other day.
    Walt has his grey matter chums launder his money for him by setting up a trust fund for Walt Jr.
    Why only Walt Jr? There's Holy too. Shouldn't he have had tie the money into two trust funds?
    Pretty sure he said "for my children" more than once during that scene. I can see the logic behind what your saying but I'm guessing they want us to assume that Skyler will know exactly where the money is really from and divide it between Jr. and Holly accordingly.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 10:26:09 07-10-2013
  • Salaman 7 Oct 2013 10:28:02 19,604 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not sure how these trust funds work exactly but wouldn't it mean that once Junior turns 18, he gets all of the 9 million. Not Skyler. Sure Junior will look after his mom or sister. It never really registered with me to be honest. I took it as Walt finding a way to get his money to his family.
    This friend pointed out that he's left all his money to his eldest son, whilst he also has a baby daughter and she thought it odd.
  • M83J01P97 7 Oct 2013 10:32:45 6,711 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Not sure how these trust funds work exactly but wouldn't it mean that once Junior turns 18, he gets all of the 9 million. Not Skyler. Sure Junior will look after his mom or sister. It never really registered with me to be honest. I took it as Walt finding a way to get his money to his family.
    This friend pointed out that he's left all his money to his eldest son, whilst he also has a baby daughter and she thought it odd.
    I think it was just the only option Walt could see that wouldn't draw unwanted attention, after all he probably wanted to kill Gretchen and Elliott but saw them as a final way to leave his money with his family. So spared them.

He was probably just hoping the finer details of his plan would be sorted out by either Skyler and Jr. As and when.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Oct 2013 12:12:58 8,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, Skyler has nothing to do with the money. He told her that he spent it all. Maybe he thought that the house might have been bugged or something.
  • Tom_Servo 7 Oct 2013 17:52:27 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    meme wrote:
    The "it's all a dream" is an interesting theory, but it's already been pretty heavily debunked by Gilligan himself, as far as I know, stating directly that it's unambiguous. I've seen lots of people really really reaching to try and justify it, though.
    "Jesse has a beard and he's dreaming about building a box...a carpenter...HE'S JESUS."
    "Gray Matter donated $28 million! 28 is the atomic number of nickel. Something, something, nickel, meth!"
    Norm MacDonald's been really pushing it on Twitter. I don't know why people can't just take things at face value with TV (and some films) these days. Did this all start with Lost?

It was a nice finale, I don't think there's any grand secret to be had. There were no twists, no last-minute curveballs. Almost everything was wrapped up, that's all there is to it IMHO.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2013 17:55:24
    I think it's mostly that everything's so centered around twist endings and hidden subtext and ARGs nowadays that people become genuinely surprised when something's straightforward with no shocks. Which is quite ironic, if you think about it.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2013 19:15:26
    If there is one criticism I can point at the ending, and the show in general Tbh, and one that I've been thinking about quite a bit since is that it felt very much like they were giving us what we want. This sounds crazy as a criticism I know, and it is hard to explain on my phone, but I got the constant feeling that it was written by committee. That they were evolving the story according to Internet reactions/discussions and as a result it isn't strictly the story he wanted to tell. This is of course probably the way all shows do it but bb is the only show I've watched as it happens and not three years later via a boxset.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2013 19:20:12
    Except when shows are written by committee then you nearly always end up with something that doesn't follow through with any real consequences for characters, or if they do they aren't that interesting (see: Dexter, the later seasons amongst many others).

It felt more like the writer(s) wanted to tell a story and not take the easy route whenever they were beginning to back themselves into a corner but writing what made sense.
  • M83J01P97 7 Oct 2013 19:28:02 6,711 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Breaking Bad and The Wire are two of the most realistically written shows in a long time. Yes I know there are many unrealistic aspects to BB... walking away from an explosion missing half your face for one... ;) but the story progression felt very nature and real. Every action had consequences in some way shape or form, and Walt was regularly forced to think his way out of situations in a logical fashion.
  • TOOTR 8 Oct 2013 17:31:15 9,648 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Feels weird not having it to look forward to anymore :(
    This. :(

as the ending continues to marinate in my mind I love the fact that the lottery ticket comes back to a) give skylar leverage. And b) give poor Marie some closure. Also c) the chance for a more fitting resting place for hank (if the dead care about such matter(s))

I don't know of any show that has tied up loose ends so completely.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Deleted user 10 October 2013 08:56:43
    http://www.economist.com/news/business/21586801-best-show-television-also-first-rate-primer-business-breaking-bad-school

Big fan of breaking bad obviously and the economist but what a load of bollocks.
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Oct 2013 09:56:10 39,567 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    http://www.economist.com/news/business/21586801-best-show-television-also-first-rate-primer-business-breaking-bad-school

Big fan of breaking bad obviously and the economist but what a load of bollocks.
    Why is it bollocks?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• neilka 10 Oct 2013 10:02:12 16,531 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BECAUSE MOWGLI SAYS SO

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• mcmonkeyplc 10 Oct 2013 10:04:54 39,567 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah yes the mowgli it's cool to think things are shit scenario.

:p

• nickthegun 10 Oct 2013 10:06:51 61,315 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Every site, newspaper and tv show has had its editor say 'breaking bad is popular, right? Do an article on that' no matter how shoehorned or stupid it is.

Like this, for example: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/breaking-bad-is-over-so-wheres-the-video-game

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• mcmonkeyplc 10 Oct 2013 10:16:32 39,567 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Economist don't do shoehorned. It's not a tiny half page after thought. It's a 3 page editorial in their business section.

• nickthegun 10 Oct 2013 10:27:40 61,315 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry. I forgot shoehorning had a two page limit.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• mcmonkeyplc 10 Oct 2013 11:12:02 39,567 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So breaking bad has nothing to do with starting and maintaining a business empire?

• Ziz0u 10 Oct 2013 11:21:40 8,648 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    and asking where the usually-inevitable shitty video game is valid as well imo
  • Deleted user 10 October 2013 11:38:20
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    So breaking bad has nothing to do with starting and maintaining a business empire?
    No one has said that. But to pretend there is anything more to it than that, or to be precise, that it is an intricate study on empire building is the height of stupidity and is absolutely shoe horning in an article before the hype dies.
  • Page

of 96 First / Last