Breaking Bad Page 85

• Page

of 96 First / Last

• Deckard2 30 Sep 2013 20:15:08 3,680 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought that was a good, if not great ending to the show. It was a little bit too A Team for me, but I loved his admission that he did it all because he liked it.

Plus what was Gus's secret past?
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 30 Sep 2013 20:17:58 141 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    And now to do my absolute best to avoid anything and everything to do with the fucking awful Saul spinoff idea. One of the best shows I've ever had the fortune to experience and they want to Joey up the memory with 'on another episode of Saul and his crazy adventures!'. Fucking stupid idea.
    I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt but I more or less agree. I mean I like him, and he's had some superb lines, but he's never jumped out at me as a character I simply must have more of.

I'll give it a chance myself, but keeping my expectations very low.

[New page quoting bonus edit]

Edited by Bedders at 20:18:57 30-09-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 30 Sep 2013 20:20:04 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know Walt is 'evil', but I still had a lump in my throat as the camera slowly panned upwards.

... for those who say it was tidied up a little bit nicely, just look back at the number of poor finales (for a popular television series) in the past decade!

There's not much else to say that you folks haven't already said really.

I am feeling that empty feeling I had after The Wire finished.

What's the point in watching television after something like Breaking Bad comes to an end?

: (

p.s. Nice to see Jesse go free ... was glad he ended Todd's life too.
  • The-Bodybuilder 30 Sep 2013 20:27:41 14,439 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fantastic ending to a fantastic and best tv show. Probably responsible for so many new uptake of Netflix. How domestic channels missed it, I don't know.

Happy with a tied up ending, found it satisfying to have a conclusive ending (only other show for me to have that was Spartacus). And considering I'm still smarting over how Lost ended, it feels good to watch a show with a clear end game.

Nothing else to say other than I loved the general directing and cinematography (if that's the right term). Little things like the blood splatter when he shot that Nazi, to the camera panning in the kitchen to reveal Walt. Great stuff.
  • Bedders Content Editor, Gamer Network 30 Sep 2013 20:46:48 141 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Nothing else to say other than I loved the general directing and cinematography (if that's the right term). Little things like the blood splatter when he shot that Nazi, to the camera panning in the kitchen to reveal Walt. Great stuff.
    Oooh yes, also the camera-work at the beginning with Walt's reveal to Gretchen and Elliott.

Absolutely precision Breaking Bad tension-building. I think I made noises during that bit.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2013 21:00:06
    p.s. the next person to mention the fucking Shield as something to watch after this is getting a kick in the nuts. Decided to watch it again as I couldn't think of anything else to put on and it is entertaining but in no way shape the same league as this. It seems to get mentioned in discussions re mature, clever shows like BB and the Wire because it involves heavy issues like murder, sex crimes, drugs etc. Completely ignoring the awful acting, cheesy script, tired direction and all round channel 5/Bravo feel of the show. By all means watch it, it is great entertainment but let's not pretend it is in the same league.
  • Tuffty 30 Sep 2013 21:03:48 1,746 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^ I would disagree, but then it is one of my favourite shows. It's just as shocking and like BB, has a pretty much perfect series finale. And I will not have you talk ill will about Walton Goggins acting. I won't.

Not much to say than what's been said already, but I think it's a perfect ending to one of my favourite shows of all time.
  • David_Richardson 30 Sep 2013 21:05:36 640 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    p.s. the next person to mention the fucking Shield as something to watch after this is getting a kick in the nuts. Decided to watch it again as I couldn't think of anything else to put on and it is entertaining but in no way shape the same league as this. It seems to get mentioned in discussions re mature, clever shows like BB and the Wire because it involves heavy issues like murder, sex crimes, drugs etc. Completely ignoring the awful acting, cheesy script, tired direction and all round channel 5/Bravo feel of the show. By all means watch it, it is great entertainment but let's not pretend it is in the same league.
    The Shield has the best final episode of any quality show I have watched.
  • Vice.Destroyer 30 Sep 2013 21:29:38 5,943 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't appreciate Mowgli talking shit about The Shield in the official Shield thread and I dislike it even more now.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 30 Sep 2013 21:37:43 2,308 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not seen The Shield (but I'm going to) but I'm surprised 24 hasn't been suggested in the 'things worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Breaking Bad' discussion. I watched the first 18 episodes in one day. I woke up one lazy day, put Episode 1 on, said 'just one more' a dozen or so times, and went to bed. It was excellent from start to finish in my opinion (yes, even season 6) and is currently fighting Breaking Bad in my head for position of best thing of all time ever.

Seriously, watch it!

EDIT: Sons of Anarchy isn't bad either, but it's not that good.

Edited by midnight_walker at 21:41:51 30-09-2013
  • Vice.Destroyer 30 Sep 2013 21:51:20 5,943 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @midnight_walker Actually, there was a thread about this very thing a few years ago. (click and read:) )
  • urban 30 Sep 2013 22:13:26 11,068 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, at the end where the guy Policeman takes Walt's pulse and nods to his colleague, is that a yes he's dead or yes he has a pulse? CONSPIRACY YO!

Fucking amazing episode. 10/10 show, nothing more needs to be said
  • TheSaint 30 Sep 2013 22:25:42 14,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As good as Braking Bad is it still had some less than fine actors (Jnr. the breakfast king and Marie come to mind). I'm also sure you wouldn't have to read too far back in this thread to find plenty of people moaning about Anna Gunn as well.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2013 23:02:11
    TheSaint wrote:
    As good as Braking Bad is it still had some less than fine actors (Jnr. the breakfast king and Marie come to mind). I'm also sure you wouldn't have to read too far back in this thread to find plenty of people moaning about Anna Gunn as well.
    Yeah its not going to be a popular thing to say but Jesse wasn't a particular good actor either. A distinct growl to his voice giving him the impression he was doing a better job that he was and masking the fact that he spent 75% of the show silent, day dreaming or shouting. Which is a fart above extras for acting. Walt and Skylar stole the show for acting.

Edited by mowgli at 23:20:22 30-09-2013
  • muttler 30 Sep 2013 23:07:23 4,286 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Great finale!† Highlights for me:

1. The dialogue with Badger and Skinny Pete. "Yo, I dont know if I feel good about this, from like a moral standpoint, yo" "How do you feel now?" "Better, definitely better". Funny and classic B & SP dialogue, a good and fond outro for the two characters.

2. The scene where Jesse is daydreaming about making the wooden box that he told Walt about making when he was at school, the only thing he'd done that he was really proud of.† It was sad and potent because it was of course obvious that the scene was a daydream he was having while he slaved away making meth.

3. Jesse's drive to freedom.

4. That Walt was finally 100% honest and humble, and able to earn forgiveness from Skyler and Jesse.

5. The final scene with Walt in the meth lab and the accompanying music, near perfect ending.

Only two things I didn't quite like so much was Walt's confrontation with the two Gray Matter people and also the nazi gang, I was hoping for more of an ingenious Machiavellian scheme to fuck them all entirely over from Walt.† The mechanical machine gun was kinda cool, but it was a bit of a gamble from Walt that he would be able to position the car and that the room they would take him to would be the front room in the house.† He didn't exactly have a Plan B up his sleeve, and the protection of his family (and thus his final act of redemption) hinged on his success.

Overall one of my fav tv series of all time, however sorry but one last downer from me, and that's that I have to very respectfully disagree with the view that the quality of the show was consistent over the whole series.† The first season is (imo) in a whole other league above and beyond the following seasons.† Season two was noticeably lesser (imo) and seasons 3 & 4 while very good were not quite the same level, although it was still very good and totally compelling all through.† For me it only picked back up to almost the level of season 1 in the final episode of season 4, and season 5 a&b.

For me the comedy of Walt and Jesse stumbling through their early escapades was funnier than anything after, and Tuco was a better enemy than Gus, the Cartel, or the nazi gang.

If the whole series were as good as the first season, it would possibly beat The Sopranos and even equal Star Trek as the best tv ever.
  • jablonski 30 Sep 2013 23:14:04 4,866 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Loved it, but I'd rather it didn't have to be violence that ended it.

Also, the last 10 mins was seriously close to Taxi Driver - including a near identical ceiling crane shot as the cops come in.
  • The-Bodybuilder 30 Sep 2013 23:14:41 14,439 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bedders wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Oooh yes, also the camera-work at the beginning with Walt's reveal to Gretchen and Elliott.

Absolutely precision Breaking Bad tension-building. I think I made noises during that bit.
    Yes that whole scene was excellently directed.
  • The-Bodybuilder 30 Sep 2013 23:19:05 14,439 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I thought the actress that played did it really well. playing an annoying aunt isn't easy, and she got it just right, lol.
  • Vice.Destroyer 30 Sep 2013 23:20:54 5,943 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's all very subjective, Muttler. Thinking back, every single season played its part in making the payoff in the last three episodes as epic as it was. Taken as a whole, the entire run was brilliant. But again, that is just my opinion.

Just as it is my opinion that The Sopranos does not belong in any serious conversation about "the best show everô".
    Because it was distinctly average. With only the downfall of Vito (the gay gangster) actually being interesting. And that ending? OH GOD!!!! But that is just my opinion. As contrary as it is.
  • Skynet 30 Sep 2013 23:23:30 170 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aww it's over :( I hate this empty feeling after a TV show ends, it's like 2007 all over again when Sopranos ended (which I still think is slightly better show IMO)

Some great moments:
    -Walt like a ghost creeping around the grey matter owners house
    -laughing at the Skinny Pete and Badger reveal
    -Walt shooting Jack mid-sentence

Well I guess I'll have to wait to another great TV show comes along.
  • localnotail 30 Sep 2013 23:30:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Radio waves, bitches.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• OllyJ 30 Sep 2013 23:36:49 3,303 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good ending, glad there's no questions left unanswered.

And yeah I'll echo what others have said The Shield has the best ending to a series ever, sure the acting and scripting isn't to the same standard but I was emotional for days after. I think the most I feel with the BB ending is "yeah, that was cool", which it was.
  • mcmonkeyplc 30 Sep 2013 23:39:40 39,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I will forever remember the name Heisenberg.

Now I suppose I should watch the Sapranos.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• ResidentKnievel 30 Sep 2013 23:50:31 6,291 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    YoshiMcTaggis wrote:

Plus what was Gus's secret past?
    He was from Chile

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ResidentKnievel 30 Sep 2013 23:52:19 6,291 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's my only disappointment, for a show that ties up loose ends so brilliantly they completely forgot about all those hints to Gus's past.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• oceanmotion 1 Oct 2013 00:09:10 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Satisfying finale for me which is a TV change. Superb scenes and directing. Going to miss it. Off to bed, will catch up tomorrow.
  • Iain815 1 Oct 2013 00:36:55 441 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • localnotail 1 Oct 2013 00:42:06 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When it came down to it. I didn't want to watch it, because I knew that would be it, it was all over. And much as I wanted Walt to find rest, I didn't want the story to end.

Don't know what to do with myself now. A lot has happened in 4 years, and I will miss looking forward to the next chapter.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Page

of 96 First / Last