Breaking Bad Page 77

• Page

of 95 First / Last

• Deleted user 23 September 2013 21:18:17
    The above is also the reason why Skylar is such a damn important character in all of this. No matter how many big characters come and go, no matter how many scary fucking mentalists Walt it able to stare down, he outright can't keep up the façade in front of Skylar. She sees right through it. She is one of the best and most important characters because if it wasn't for her this would have turned into another gangster - Scarface, Sopranos etc. - show in season 2. Skylar and to a lesser extent Jr are the only 'parts' of Walt left.

Edited by mowgli at 21:20:30 23-09-2013
  • Tuffty 23 Sep 2013 21:26:33 1,561 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brilliant episode. Todd is such a sinister character, good lord.

You know, for one moment, the idea had crossed my mind that the machine gun and all might not actually be for the Neo-Nazis. But for Grey Matter. I mean, that news report is an insult to his ego. With no stakes in Grey Matter they've effectively wiped his name off this huge success. The only lasting impression he has on the world is the blue meth, so why would he go to stop it forever? With Heisenberg's ego, he wouldn't let that by. The machine gun is just a means of going out, as one final fuck you for having the gall to cross Heisenberg.

But it passed. Surely, even after that phonecall with Flynn, it'll be all for his family. He'll remember they stole the money. That they killed Hank. Walt has to go up against the Neo-Nazis, where he'll have a last showdown with Jesse, who will kill him and then Jesse and Brock live happy ever after. Right? RIGHT?!
  • Scimarad 23 Sep 2013 21:43:09 8,537 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All the Jesse stuff was pretty hard to watch. I really want him to get out of this or at least get some payback.
  • Tuffty 23 Sep 2013 21:50:52 1,561 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fictional column mentioned in the latest episode was actually written for the real New York Times
  • Deleted user 23 September 2013 21:57:36
    O_o
  • Trane 23 Sep 2013 22:10:50 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Paragraphs dude.
    Paragraphs, bitch.

^ Would have gone down so much better :D
  • Physically_Insane 23 Sep 2013 22:18:31 8,774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mowgli

I don't think Walts character is as black and white as that. That's my interpretation anyway...
  • localnotail 23 Sep 2013 22:38:50 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Even after everything that has happened, a part of me is still hoping for some tiny redemption for Walt. I cannot view him as completely irredeemably unsympathetic. That's the point of the thing, for me. That's why I keep watching. I know that he's fucked up really badly, so many times. I know that he's now utterly committed to the prideful vengeance of the terminally self-righteous and this is extremely unlikely to end well for him.

But I still want him to be able to die in the arms of his family. And that's the full power of the script and the performances and direction. He meant well... But the road to hell is paved with good intentions. He started off wanting to support his family in a way that was denied to him, despite all his efforts. All the while facing down death, eating him up inside. He's made some huge mistakes, granted, but I still want peace for him. Not for a Hollywood reason, just because he's been falling from grace for so long, it's exhausting.

All the way through this story, everything I imagine will come to pass is torn out from under my feet. Unpredictable, yes. Brilliant.

Poor Jesse. He needs to kill everyone to find even a tiny bit of peace.

tldr: I know Walt has been a total dick, but I don't think he is a total dick.

Edited by localnotail at 22:40:07 23-09-2013

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 23 September 2013 22:46:47
    The Av club review made an interesting point about the situation with Jesse, Todd and Walt

I
    if we put tonight’s storylines about Walter, Jesse, and Todd side by side, we see three different responses to the human propensity to make and use tools. Walter has never respected his tools. He respects the science, sure, but that’s not a tool; that’s knowledge in his head, something that he can own and wield almost like magic. When he uses other people as tools, he fails to recognize their contribution to the victory he claims as his alone, not to mention the price they pay for his manipulation. Tonight, he finds himself with no tools at hand, no one he can use, and he is helpless. His money is meaningless without someone who will allow themselves to be bought. And of course, he’s all out of lies. When Forster asks whether Walter would believe him if he promised to get the barrel to his family after the cancer takes him, he’s asking whether Walter is willing to lie to himself. The answer is no.

Jesse’s revolt against Walter was a response to his mentor’s repeated, shocking, obtuse betrayals. But it was also a revolt against being someone else’s tool—making it all the more dreadful when he ended up as Hank’s tool in a war against his brother-in-law, and then as Todd’s tool, chained up in another superlab. When he breaks out tonight, it’s the most thrilling moment we’ve been allowed to share with him in months. For a moment, it seems that Todd has underestimated him, and that Jesse has learned from Walter the art of improvisation with whatever is at hand (in this case, the paper clip on the picture of Andrea and Brock). Captured after a horribly fleeting taste of freedom, Jesse refuses to cook anymore… but then he’s reminded, brutally, that caring about something inevitably allows those who care about nothing but themselves to reduce you to a mere tool hanging in their workshop.

Todd is the only one who doesn’t mind being someone else’s tool. He eagerly adopted the role when the Heisenberg organization took him on. And now, he promises those for whom he works exactly what they most want; he is the tool, he asserts, that can get it for them. More money for Uncle Jack (“No matter how many millions you got, how do you turn your back on more?” he asks baldly). More money for Lydia (“I think we’re kind of mutually good,” he suggests before picking lint off her back like a primate grooming its mate). For Todd, being a tool is a means to an end, and he’s happy to play the role. It’s his in. Pretty soon, he’s exactly where he wants to be. Just imagine if Walter White had been self-effacing enough to play it that way with Gus or Mike instead of blustering, plotting, and provoking open warfare.
    Great episode enjoyed seeing the porkpie hat hanging on the deer head but Todd, damn they're really showing off the cruel streak with this guy.

EDIT- Spoilers on article just in case.

Edited by WeakOrbit at 22:49:41 23-09-2013
  • localnotail 23 Sep 2013 22:50:47 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    The fictional column mentioned in the latest episode was actually written for the real New York Times
    Your link is broken (bad) - that's really cool.

• OllyJ 23 Sep 2013 23:49:06 3,259 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That thing that Todd did genuinely upset me. I want that guy to take a brutal trip to Belize.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Sep 2013 00:20:15 7,251 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Walt is complicated, sure, and he's not as bad as Todd and co. But redemption? No way. He has ruined so many lives and gotten so many people killed that, for me, it doesn't matter one bit that he did it "for his family".

What a crock of shit. He had the opportunity to take Elliot's money, and multiple opportunities to get out of the drug trade. Did he take those? No. Why not? Pride, probably.

I hope he saves Jesse, and kills some of those nazis. He's less bad than them. I still have very little sympathy for him, though.
  • Salaman 24 Sep 2013 00:33:19 18,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not much of my guesses ever transpired but what the hell:

He frees Jesse and Jesse kills Walt, as he wants him to.
  • localnotail 24 Sep 2013 00:47:02 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can just still see him as he was before, shat on by life. He took a chance in sheer desperation in very dark days and he made it work, incredibly well, for the most part. I admire that.

It was only his pride that has continually fucked him over all along and made some very poor choices. I can sympathise with that.

• Mola_Ram 24 Sep 2013 01:04:33 7,251 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can empathise to an extent, but sympathy is out of the question for me.

Anyway, after seeing Eliot and Gretchen again, what I really need is some indication as to why Walt left Grey Matter. We've had hints, but nothing that explains why he couldn't have just taken a university job, or gone to work for another company. The man is clearly a genius after all, with credentials that qualify him to be quite a bit more than some sad-sack high school teacher.

You could say that it doesn't really matter, but yeah, it sort of does. Walt's resentment and damaged pride is such a central part of his character - to the point where he would do something flagrantly illegal rather than except money from Eliot - and I think it's quite important to know where exactly that came from.

I hope it gets covered somehow in the final episode.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 05:16:37 24-09-2013
  • Futaba 24 Sep 2013 01:08:56 3,507 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I feel greed was also a big part of his downfall, when they started cooking again on a much larger scale working with Mike. They could've got out then (and Jesse wanted to) and been set for life but Walt wanted more. That was the perfect time to quit, he should've taken it.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• TheSaint 24 Sep 2013 01:15:38 14,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It took five seasons but Jnr. finally did something other than eat breakfast.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Sep 2013 01:19:37 7,251 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    He's done a couple of things in the last two!

To be fair, he did also go to Lewis's. Although maybe that's just code for something else.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 01:21:48 24-09-2013
  • Mola_Ram 24 Sep 2013 02:05:36 7,251 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    One small nitpick with the episode. As great as the ending was, I wish they hadn't resorted to the old "barman flicking through channels and just happening to flick through the exposition channel" cliché.
  • askew 24 Sep 2013 08:18:54 12,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does Walt have any dirt on Grey Matter?

With his dilemma of getting money to his family, perhaps they will become benefactors to Walt Jr and Skylar.
  • Sir_Walter_Rally 24 Sep 2013 09:48:26 942 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Amazing shit. Final episode next week?

Who noticed Max Cherry? :D
  • askew 24 Sep 2013 09:58:04 12,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He hasn't aged at all since Jackie Brown!
  • fletch7100 24 Sep 2013 10:30:04 7,236 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just watched 4 episodes in one session. Had a break from the show tried to stay out of this thread, failed somewhere during that time I bet. I'm ready for next week :) loads of great moments. When Walter tells Jesse about how Jane died. How Walters face just changed as he changed characters was brilliant
  • neilka 24 Sep 2013 10:31:31 15,861 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also the guy questioning Skyler was the faux Spacey from the Orange Wednesdays adverts which was a bit distracting.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• axman303 24 Sep 2013 10:50:05 113 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That ending suggested to me, that Heisenberg is going to go full Rambo in the next episode. Not only to take out he Nazis, but also kill off those Grey Matter dudes. They've publicly stripped him of the only remaining thing he could have been positively remembered for. Who knows, maybe he'll also take out Jessie as regards him as responsible for his downfall?
  • Sir_Walter_Rally 24 Sep 2013 11:11:45 942 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    He returns to his boarded up house.
  • customfirmware 24 Sep 2013 11:15:54 783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That episode was shit IMO. Think the writers could have left Andrea out of it, as for Walt, the way how it's set up he's gonna die in the next episode.
  • elephantjuice 24 Sep 2013 11:24:22 648 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He goes back for the Ricin doesn't he? For himself perhaps?
  • Salaman 24 Sep 2013 11:27:27 18,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not a super lots happening episode. They're putting everything in place and setting things up for the last one next week.
    Wouldn't call it shit though.
  • captainrentboy 24 Sep 2013 11:46:52 979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't find it remotely shit myself, slower than last week's yes, but shit is the description you reserve for what just went down in Dexter.
    Anyone know how long the final episode is? An hr+ long one would be a nice treat.
    And other than Talking Bad, has anyone seen anything about any other one off Breaking Bad specials going on?
  • Page

of 95 First / Last