Halo 3: Recon / ODST

• Page

of 147 First / Last

Previous
  • CyberClaw 9 Oct 2008 05:56:43 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    NEW GAME! New trailer on the marketplace. I was playing Halo 3 and Bungie sent a notification directly to my screen.
    New campaign, new multiplayer. I'll post back when I finish downloading.
  • morriss 9 Oct 2008 06:05:46 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Halo 3 Recon trailer stills and movie.
  • CyberClaw 9 Oct 2008 06:07:34 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ok, so this will be a boxed game. Not sure if you can download it as well, as a Halo 3 add-on. But it'll be sold boxed for sure (there is already a cover on the internet).

Bellow is trailer spoilers:
    -You play a new hero. A ODST that survives the landing.
    -The AI seen in the "keep it clean" trailer will aparently serve as some sort of guide or interface - in the trailer we see the AI using electronic bulletin boards to orient the ODST ("go right >>>>" for example)
    -The trailer at least gives a more stealth atmosphear
    -We see a new "vision" which is exactly like the Halo 3 zoom binocular (when not using a weapon with zoom), but the enemies are identified with a red marker
    -The ODST is using a different sub-machine gun. Possibly the one from Halo 3 with silencer
  • CyberClaw 9 Oct 2008 06:08:47 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's always good to know I'm not the only one not sleeping at this god forsaken hour XD
  • morriss 9 Oct 2008 07:09:07 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This will already be the best game ever! ;)
  • BartonFink 9 Oct 2008 08:01:06 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    \o/ Best game ever!!!
  • LeD 9 Oct 2008 08:04:02 6,314 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure about the title though. I mean 'Halo 3 Recon'? Come on. Not that it matters one bit.
  • CyberClaw 9 Oct 2008 08:14:41 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FeZZ wrote:
    Finally a game based around a space marine.
    With shooting.
    We are in an age, where we are more than happy with more of the same, as long as it has quality. Inovation is getting riskier, and harder (in this day and age, inovation doesn't come from ingenuity, but on who gets their hands on technology X to finally do Y that we've been wanting to do for so long). I look at everything, and I can't think of a inovation in years. Wii is a gimmick. I like it, but it's still a gimmick. It's still the same games about jumping arround... Burnout Paradise, offered something outside the box in some aspects, but then again, at your eyes it's probably:
    "Another open city driving game.
    With motorbikes as well."
    Tell me what you played that was so inovative this last few years... It's how the industry is. You just sound ponpous saying that.
    It's like a guy going to a movie forum when Iron man was being made and say "Finally a comic book adapted to the big screen". Fuck that. It's Iron-man. And it was awsome.
    Same here. Fuck that. It's more Halo. And I bet it'll be awsome =D

Besides, what did you want a Space Marine to do? To grab a guitar and rock on at the sound of Guitar Space Marine: Kiss Edition?
  • BartonFink 9 Oct 2008 08:15:17 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Who gives a damn about the title it's Halo.

First one to say Halol should be banninated
  • BartonFink 9 Oct 2008 08:15:54 35,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FeZZ wrote:
    With shooting.
    You forgot to mention brown and bald.
  • ecu 9 Oct 2008 08:16:53 77,338 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Experience the fate of Earth from the brand-new perspective of a special forces ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper), adding a unique outlook and new gameplay elements to the events that unfold in the trilogy’s finale.

I'm expecting a grovelling apology from morriss now. ;)
  • seasidebaz 9 Oct 2008 08:18:20 6,189 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lol Ghost Recon - Ghosts + Halo3

Couldn't they be a bit more imaginitive?
  • morriss 9 Oct 2008 08:18:33 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FeZZ wrote:
    With shooting.
    :D

Quantumtheorykillzone2resistancelol

EDIT: Forgot Haze. Damn!

:)
  • morriss 9 Oct 2008 08:19:50 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    "Experience the fate of Earth from the brand-new perspective of a special forces ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper), adding a unique outlook and new gameplay elements to the events that unfold in the trilogy’s finale.

I'm expecting a grovelling apology from morriss now. ;)
    /grovels

it's Bungie, it looks friggin' awesome from the trailer.

We're just trying to found out if it's gonna be boxed and DLC, or just boxed.
  • morriss 9 Oct 2008 08:21:24 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    seasidebaz wrote:

So you've seen about 1 min of a target render and you know what it is?

Nice one.

/gets all defensive about sprites and pixels
  • ecu 9 Oct 2008 08:24:26 77,338 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It looks amazing. I told you the ODST's were badass enough to carry their own game.
  • morriss 9 Oct 2008 08:26:11 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like the night vision cell-shaded stuff. Also the way the Super' seems to guide you along. I bet you get to really bond with 'it' over the course of the game.

Still, Brutes only and no Elites....so far.
  • CyberClaw 9 Oct 2008 08:26:42 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm unsure if it's a target render. Do you remmeber Halo? Halo 2? Halo 3? Did Bungie ever show a Target Render? All their anouncements are ALWAYS in in game engine, at least they've been so far. Halo 2 even had the same cut-scene.

Now... I'm not saying it's not a target render... But other than the character models showing much more detail, the level and item architecture seems in level with Halo 3. The drop pods, the debris on the street, etc. Even the binocles/vision use the exact same HUD Halo 3 uses (although it can be just consistency). If we look at Gears of War, we know the XBox could come up with more detail. Bungie went for the big levels, lots of vehicles, lot's of stuff going on screen, but if the new game is more tactical, that means lesser confusion, and more GPU left for individual details (like character models).
    This is a big if though.
  • ecu 9 Oct 2008 08:28:52 77,338 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's CGI. Simple as that.

Looks like it was made by the same guys that did the recent Halo Wars trailer.
  • morriss 9 Oct 2008 08:30:38 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yeah. CGI. 100%
  • CyberClaw 9 Oct 2008 08:30:58 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any reason to say it's CGI?
    The weather effects, the character details... we've seen that level of detail a couple of years ago in GoW1...
  • Pirotic Moderator 9 Oct 2008 08:32:05 20,647 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Halo 3 looked pretty nasty at the time, can't imagine how they plan on getting away with an expansion in 2009 using the same engine. post GoW 2 it's just not going to cut it anymore.
  • seasidebaz 9 Oct 2008 08:33:14 6,189 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    seasidebaz wrote:

So you've seen about 1 min of a target render and you know what it is?

Nice one.

/gets all defensive about sprites and pixels

No, not at all, I was just pointing out that this guy will probably be hiding a lot, and the name is very similar to another hiding game... PLus the rumours from before about it being a squad-based shooter...

• morriss 9 Oct 2008 08:33:20 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Halo 3 looked great.

Quick, everyone go to the group. Let's abandon these heretics!!
  • CyberClaw 9 Oct 2008 08:34:18 2,087 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Halo 3 looked great in motion when it had alot of things going. You'd be driving a Warthog, jumping over a couple of scarabs, with some tanks and soldiers in Mongooses also trying to bring them down, dodging the banshees, all at the same time. It felt like a war.
    Gears of War looked great all the time though... But there weren't any big scenes. It was always a focused battle. You wouldn't have more than 10 characters on screen total, and there were no big open maps. They couldn't afford it because of the level of detail...

But people tend to look at one and another side by side. Halo is much less impressive for the untrained eye. GoW has plenty more eye candy, posing for the shot. Halo 3 wins on the sheer scope of things though. You really feel like a tiny part of a giant battle.
  • ecu 9 Oct 2008 08:35:03 77,338 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Halo 3 looked pretty nasty at the time, can't imagine how they plan on getting away with an expansion in 2009 using the same engine. post GoW 2 it's just not going to cut it anymore.

It's only been confirmed as a boxed game so far. Halo 3 looked great at the time, so I imagine they'll slightly tweak and sharpen the game engine to improve it.
  • ecu 9 Oct 2008 08:36:42 77,338 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CyberClaw wrote:
    Maybe the engine is more flexible than you think. If you look at stuff like Steam (HL2 engine, it is called Steam isn't it?), it powered games that looked like crap (Vampire Bloodlust) and games that looked quite good.
    Same for any engine. It's a matter of tweaking.

Yes. But the trailer is still clearly CGI.
  • morriss 9 Oct 2008 08:37:46 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Let's carry it on here. Well away from the unbelievers.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2008 08:43:22
    morriss wrote:
    FeZZ wrote:
    With shooting.
    :D

Quantumtheorykillzone2resistancelol

EDIT: Forgot Haze. Damn!

:)

S'okay morriss, it's got the Halo name which means it's exempt from you having to abuse it. :p

Not really sure how much about the gameplay can be discerned from the trailer but I hope they are taking the opportunity to deliver something clearly distinct in gameplay terms from the other Halo games.

...and before the fanboys start howling I say that because I'd like to see Bungie's considerable talents applied to some different styles of gameplay rather than because there's anything wrong with the earlier Halo games.
  • morriss 9 Oct 2008 08:45:56 71,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    neko: I'm not abusing any of those games, mate. I'm looking forward to playing them all. I'm just pointing out to FeZZ that PS3 has more console exclusive shooters than 360 now.

And yeah, he trolled a Halo thread. Not allowed! ;)
  • Page

of 147 First / Last

Previous