of 504 First / Last

• Hokum 23 Jan 2009 17:05:11 157 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well said Jin, I agree with you.
  • Gazza_UK 23 Jan 2009 17:15:33 289 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So.... ..... .. . . ... .. Demon's Souls eh?
  • JinTypeNoir 23 Jan 2009 17:30:08 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope Demon's Souls really does inherit King's Field's charms. We'll be able to tell this if you can die in your first few steps. In most the King's Field games, as a way of teaching you the lay of the land, if you're not careful, it's very possible you'll die with the first step you take. How is that fair? Well, you're supposed to look down at your feet to make sure of where you're going.

Because King's Field basically lets you explore huge areas with the only restriction being your ingenuity in getting past them, it's very interesting. Unlike a lot of RPGs that let you do this, it doesn't have a system to neuter hard areas so you can go to them from the start, but it does allow you to survive, some how, some way if you mess around and really dig into its mechanics. Thus, the King's Field motto is, if you're careful you can survive anywhere in the non-linear world. Yet at the same time it's real time, so you can never be too slow. The tension in these games never seems to die. It never seems to get easier. And yet, as you experiment (and the price for failure is almost always death or a state close to it) you'll find yourself coming up with brilliant uses for weapons, magic and items that make you feel like they your own makeshift ideas, not ones that the game hardcoded into problem you want to solve.

If I had to guess, judging by King's Field, those impressive bosses they show in the trailer will probably kill you in one hit if you directly to them without exploring, expecting a game that will let you proceed easily just by following the basic route. The old King's Field games would laugh in your face if you tried that. They would intentionally throw things that looked safe and then kill you instantly for being such a idiot. This might seem like bad game design and indeed, some times it is kind of cheap, but what makes the old ones good games is that there is almost always something you could have done to prevent before hand.

That said, again if Demon's Souls is like King's Field then, it will not be obvious how to proceed against the game's overwhelming difficulty unless you use lots of trial and error. Not the kind of trial and error where you try the same thing over and over again in different ways, but the trial in which you explore the wide open land, looking for secrets and ways to further open up the RPG elements you have on hand. But as you do, that just opens up more problems as you'll run into other death traps because in these games there is no place in the world (or relatively few) that is a safe haven or not mad, corrupt, depressing or dangerous.

People who are expecting Oblivion should be careful, if Demon's Souls is anything like the same, it's not interested in giving you tons of NPCs and character interaction, rather it's more about a very, very depressingly dead and lonely world with only a few sane denizens left in it. That doesn't mean there isn't plot scraps or some development, just that it's almost all of the "figure it out on your own, we're not going to give it to you" variety. You couldn't find an RPG series as opposite as you can get from, say, Final Fantasy.

If Final Fantasy VII had been more like King's Field, I probably would have liked it a lot better. :p
  • Deleted user 28 January 2009 03:36:55
    disc wrote:
    I think it's very likely Demon's Souls did inherit some of the qualities of King's Field.

Famitsu Review Score:

Demon's Souls 7,9,6,7 - 29/40

One guy apparently loved it while the others didn't really care for it at all.

Wow, what a shit score. Guess I was right! Game will get crucified when it releases in the west.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2009 04:22:43
    I said in October the game looked shit. Second post, this thread. No, I'm not really happy that yet another exclusive game is mediocre but I hope poor scores will be a wake up call to lift their game.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2009 10:46:19
    http://www.ps3center.net/news/2234/first-reviews-of-demons-souls-are-in/

WTF, dangeki think it is very good and famitsu say its 1 point better than White knight chronicles
  • Cappy 28 Jan 2009 10:56:38 12,024 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They've got to use that for a box quote on one of the releases.

"1 Point better than White Knight Chronicles in Famitsu!"
  • LeoliansBro 28 Jan 2009 10:59:33 44,506 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I could use JTN's posts as wallpaper in insane asylums.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 2 February 2009 02:27:17
    disc wrote:
    Also:

Why did Famitsu not like it as much? Too macho American for their tastes? This could be the first Atlus title that intrigues me.

Atlus? It's a From Software title.
  • Retroid Moderator 2 Feb 2009 02:29:57 45,010 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like From's stuff.
  • JinTypeNoir 2 Feb 2009 03:04:44 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What did I tell you, eh? King's Field successor here we come, woooo! Did I call it in that post above where I described the gameplay or did I call it? \o/

BTW, the older King's Field games (except for Additional on the PSP, which was an ill-judged spinoff) all got similar types of reviews from Famitsu and other publications.
  • uiruki 2 Feb 2009 03:06:57 3,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds interesting. BTW, which King's Field game would work best as an introduction to that particular series? I see the first three are available on the PSN Archives.
  • JinTypeNoir 2 Feb 2009 03:14:15 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any of them. None of them is any easier to get into than any of the others. The only really big difference is that of course the graphics get better as time goes on. Some people feel that King's Field II was the best in the series though it's really old, like 1995 ancient old. So graphics whores who somehow (I don't know how) can't stand outdated graphics should play the later one, while if that doesn't matter II is the most widely regarded as the best scenario.

Also be careful:

King's Field the original only came out in Japan as far as I know.
    King's Field II (Japan) saw a release as King's Field in the rest of the world.
    King's Field III (Japan) saw release elsewhere as King's Field II.

There's also King's Field: The Ancient City on the PS2 and the King's Field Additional games on the PSP. Out of all those, you want to stay away from only King's Field Additional, the rest are sweet.
  • gohda 2 Feb 2009 03:16:06 6,642 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yducucuc
  • uiruki 2 Feb 2009 03:21:57 3,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers Jin! I'll give the second game a shot.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2009 10:12:51
    Ok, it seems like they really tightened up the game (performance wise).

Methinks it's going to take bloody ages for this to get released over here, do we know if there's an Asian version with English voices/text coming out soon?

Cheers

PS: Does the game feature any other backgrounds besides dungeons? :p
  • Cappy 2 Feb 2009 10:24:24 12,024 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Asian version is confirmed to have an English language option and looks like it's being released on the same day as the Japanese version, I doubt it will have an English dub though. I'm tempted to give the Asian version a try but I think I'll wait and see for now.
  • Cappy 2 Feb 2009 20:56:43 12,024 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sneaky. It was still the 5th last time I checked. Oh well, no matter.

Are you still taking one for the team and getting the Asian version disc?
  • Scimarad 4 Feb 2009 07:16:30 8,567 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well it certainly moves a bit faster than a Kings Field game.

Defintely seems more 'actiony' than 'rpg'. Was quite impressed by how corpses seem to get tangled up in his legs when he runs over them...shame he doesn't trip up!
  • Aretak 4 Feb 2009 07:29:07 10,366 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It seems quite hard. This Japanese gaming ninja has died twice in the 15 minutes or so I've been watching.
  • Scimarad 4 Feb 2009 07:35:00 8,567 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If I saw that bloody huge mace thing sticking in the floor I think I'd run in the opposite direction:)
  • Widge Moderator 4 Feb 2009 07:35:20 13,698 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This seems alright you know....

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Scimarad 4 Feb 2009 07:38:00 8,567 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Definitely not what I expected...but in a good way. Certainly seems okay from a performance point of view.

Oh, it was a spear not a mace.
  • Widge Moderator 4 Feb 2009 07:39:26 13,698 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That lunging stab is rather effective, he has the measure of these guys.
    If this game was shown to me I certainly wouldn't point to Japan as its origin. Wonder how the story, roaming aspect lives up?

Looks like:

Health
    Mana
    Fatigue

at the top left. Very Elder Scrolls.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Scimarad 4 Feb 2009 07:40:23 8,567 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would have laughed if the stairs had caught fire!
  • Widge Moderator 4 Feb 2009 07:41:55 13,698 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ITEMS GALORE

oh and is this a day night cycle I see?

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Scimarad 4 Feb 2009 07:44:06 8,567 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hah! Heal from that, you armoured twat...
  • Widge Moderator 4 Feb 2009 07:45:06 13,698 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No music gives it that Ico feel of desolation

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Scimarad 4 Feb 2009 07:47:36 8,567 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's actually quite addictive watching this so I'm stopping now...
  • Aretak 4 Feb 2009 07:51:04 10,366 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This castle level seems absoloutely massive.
  • Page

of 504 First / Last