Demon's Souls Page 425

• Page

of 471 First / Last

• robc84 1 Dec 2013 22:10:15 4,348 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Fucking maneaters :mad:

Not an expert here but homing soul arrow is pretty cool, if a little slow. If your magic is high enough to have 5 orbs it does some serious damage.

Think there is an area of effect fire spell from yuria which is good. But again I think its on the slow side.

Quad and dan are the experts though so I'd wait for their advice!
  • Dangerous_Dan 1 Dec 2013 22:22:45 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    I had a pretty good run this weekend, with Leechmonger, Old Hero and Storm King down. Also, cleared the way to the Penetrator, saved Biorr & Yuria and had another failed attempt with the Maneater(s).

Which demon souls should I give to Freke and Yuria (I play as Royalty)? And does dexterity speed up casting speed?
    I'd invest in the warding spell, it requires 2 magic slots - it's very helpful for dealing with the maneaters. (As is a bow and shooting the first maneater through the fog wall ;) )

Dexterity does not increase your casting speed but it reduces your fall damage - not that important most of the time. Remember that you can still move while casting spells in Demon's Souls, something which you can't in Dark Souls.

Which souls to use for what?
    It really depends what you want to try. If you have warding then NG shouldn't be a problem. Warding does not scale with magic - so it's very powerful at low magic as well.
  • Dangerous_Dan 1 Dec 2013 22:24:35 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There is a glitch with which you can multiply your consumables, also boss souls, that way you could get all the unique weapons and spells/miracles in the first run. But I wouldn't spoil the game that way, the first time playing.

A very powerful miracle is Second Chance, it requires 2 miracle slots (=16 faith)
  • JonFE 1 Dec 2013 22:47:05 1,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thank you both!
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Dec 2013 14:17:03 8,746 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's here!!

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Dangerous_Dan 4 Dec 2013 14:20:03 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cool, that's the black phantom edition.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Dec 2013 14:22:05 8,746 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    I had it years ago, game kicked my arse so I sold it.
    I recently manned up a wee it and completed Dark Souls so I've rebought it.
    \o/

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• quadfather 4 Dec 2013 14:23:52 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Is that because it says "Black Phantom Edition" on the front?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• robc84 4 Dec 2013 14:25:55 4,348 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    I wondered what that meant!
  • Moot_Point 4 Dec 2013 14:57:18 3,505 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    I had a pretty good run this weekend, with Leechmonger, Old Hero and Storm King down. Also, cleared the way to the Penetrator, saved Biorr & Yuria and had another failed attempt with the Maneater(s).

Which demon souls should I give to Freke and Yuria (I play as Royalty)? And does dexterity speed up casting speed?
    I think the consensus is that DEX does increase your casting speed. As to which spells, surely that's a decision only you could make?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Dangerous_Dan 4 Dec 2013 15:01:51 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Yep, that was a limited edition of the European/Namco version of the game. I like the red colours on it.
  • Dangerous_Dan 4 Dec 2013 15:04:20 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
  • Dangerous_Dan 4 Dec 2013 15:05:37 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    JonFE wrote:

I think the consensus is that DEX does increase your casting speed. As to which spells, surely that's a decision only you could make?
    In Dark Souls it increases the casting speed but not in Demon's.
  • Moot_Point 6 Dec 2013 01:34:20 3,505 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh, was it stamina?

Edit; No, I'm sure it was DEX.

Edited by Moot_Point at 01:37:51 06-12-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• JonFE 8 Dec 2013 10:38:43 1,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    I'd invest in the warding spell, it requires 2 magic slots - it's very helpful for dealing with the maneaters. (As is a bow and shooting the first maneater through the fog wall ;) )
    Thanks DD! That was some solid advice, the warding spell worked like a charm on the second maneater (already knew about the fog-gate trick).

So, last night I got rid of the Maneaters and the Penetrator (thanks Biorr). Based on info from Black Edition's strategy guide, I was expecting the Penetrator to be really slow, but he wasn't - was that patched at some point?

Anyway, still Dirty Colossus, Maiden Astrea, Old Monk and False King to go... In order for the Old Mong to be a human player (not NPC) do I just need to be online or in body form as well?

Edited by JonFE at 10:39:23 08-12-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Dec 2013 11:06:41 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @JonFE That's a good question. I believe one has to be online and in body form but I'm not entirely sure, now that you're asking.

The warding spell is also helpful for handling the false king.

I don't think that the Penetrator's speed was patched, especially not after the Black Phantom Edition was released. That was almost 2 years after the initial Japanese release, or so.

Don't spoil the game by reading a guide! ; )

What are your thoughts on the game, compared to Dark Souls?

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 11:08:54 08-12-2013
  • JonFE 8 Dec 2013 12:20:15 1,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan
    Well, one advancement Dark Souls has over Demon Souls, IMHO, is the load-once-go-anywhere world, which I prefer to the Nexus hub. It makes the world more coherent, solid and connected. Also, the bonfires make it easier to invest your souls without too much risk - of course this can be off-putting to those that loved Demon for the risk aspect.

I've played totally different builds between the two, so can't really compare combat. In Dark I was a tank, based on strength and getting all physical. I relied too much on the Drake sword -which I now know was wrong- and only got around other weapons late in the game and in NG+. In Demon I am a Royal, shooting soul rays and stuff or slashing enemies with my Crescent Falchion, playing mostly from afar. I've died less in Demon, mostly because Dark experience made me far more cautious (shield up etc).

Demon Souls lacks O&S - which is a good and bad thing at the same time. :evil:

Bottom line? Both games are solid, satisfying experiences, great FROM accomplishments and I cannot choose which I liked best between the two, which says a lot. March cannot come soon enough.

EDIT: PSN name is JonFuguE, you are all welcome to invade my world :)

Edited by JonFE at 12:50:42 08-12-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Dec 2013 12:55:38 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You should be careful about that -hehe.
  • dutchspeededup 16 Dec 2013 12:23:04 4,368 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally going to have time to play this over Christmas. Dark Souls remains one of my favourite games of all time.

How many times have people asked for build advice/starter tips?

Well here's another.
  • quadfather 16 Dec 2013 12:42:37 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, you know the combat already from playing dark souls. There are some differences in Demon’s though. Backstabs are harder to pull off, whereas parrying is easier (note, this could very well be me being a spacker and not doing it properly.)

You’ll find it’s more fluid than dark souls too.

Standard combat tips apply – lock on, shield up etc

Scaling seems to be more effective in Demon’s than in Dark.

Intelligence does your ‘attunement slots’, whereas magic dictates the potency of the spell

Need to know what playstyle you’ll be attempting?

Luck is the equivalent of item discovery

A Talisman of God enables you to cast miracles (ie, faith path), whereas a Catalyst does your magic stuff

The main difference is you though – in this game, when you die, you’re reduced to soul form. With reduced health too (though items can help there). Whereas in body form, you have full health (again, items can help getting to body form, along with other means). Think of these as the equivalent of hollow and human.

However, there’s a thing called tendency in Demon’s in 2 flavours – 1 – Character Tendency (Goes darker when you’re an evil sod), and 2, World tendency. It’s important to note that if you play online, you’ll inherit the servers average world tendency. Whereas offline, you can manipulate it to however you like. But when you next go online again, you’ll re-inherit the server tendency. Tendency is a big thing in the game, so it might be worth reading up on it after you’ve got used to the ropes.

Boss souls are valuable, as per dark.

The game isn’t open world as much as dark souls. You start in the nexus (safe-ish) area, and then choose a ‘world’ to explore. There are multiple levels in each world. At the start and end of levels there is an archstone, which, when used, will transport you back to the nexus.

Levelling, shopping, repairing etc is done in the nexus

Trying to think of other stuff while at work – I’ll post more later

• dutchspeededup 16 Dec 2013 19:55:32 4,368 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather Extremely helpful, thank you.

As a first character I shall probably go straight melee. Any further views will be, as ever, welcome.

Really looking forward to this.
  • Rhaegyr 16 Dec 2013 19:59:13 1,110 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Try to do 2-2 as soon as you feel comfortable - the boss soul here is quite important :)

Edit I also avoided 5-1 and 5-2 for as long as I could; Blighttown has nothing on these.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 20:00:33 16-12-2013
  • quadfather 16 Dec 2013 20:14:15 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And you'll hear people say "do 2-1" next or such like. "2-1" is world 2, level 1. Took me a while to work out what the fuck people were on about :)

As with dark souls, jump in and see how you get on. You'll have plenty of questions soon!

The temple knight starts with a heal spell
    The royalty class starts with a spell

Oh, and whatever you do, be extremely wary of anything that has red eyes

And dont leave 1-1 till you have 2 rings

Off you pop :)

• quadfather 16 Dec 2013 20:15:05 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Try to do 2-2 as soon as you feel comfortable - the boss soul here is quite important :)

Edit I also avoided 5-1 and 5-2 for as long as I could; Blighttown has nothing on these.
    Also all of this.

Blighttown is like a tutorial compared to world 5

• JonFE 16 Dec 2013 22:26:47 1,384 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:

Also all of this.

Blighttown is like a tutorial compared to world 5
    Right on! I was doing 5-2 last weekend and ended up lost and confused on numerous occasions - not to mention that those ugly brutes with the huge clubs can move fast and hit really hard... :eek:

Dirty Colossus was roasted pretty easy though...

Edited by JonFE at 22:28:39 16-12-2013
  • robc84 17 Dec 2013 07:03:06 4,348 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Strangely, I found blighttown more of a pain than world 5 in demon's. Although I spent a lot of time in 5-2 on my first run!

Ah red eyes, seems like a lifetime ago....
  • quadfather 17 Dec 2013 09:53:24 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just waiting for Dutch's first post :)

• robc84 17 Dec 2013 09:58:13 4,348 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Heh.

It what will probably be along the lines of "WTF! That red eyed dude just OHK'd me!

I'd agree about 2-2 as well, although the boss is a right bastard. A very nice weapon in that level though, even if the place is a bit of a maze!
  • quadfather 17 Dec 2013 10:05:20 10,547 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Need to know what his playstyle will be

• robc84 17 Dec 2013 10:07:49 4,348 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well he said melee, but I suppose it's whether it's strength or dex based.
  • Page

of 471 First / Last