Demon's Souls Page 5

• Page

of 507 First / Last

• Widge Moderator 8 Feb 2009 13:56:52 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    you ARE looking for every glimmer of shittiness...

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 8 February 2009 16:57:00
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    disc wrote:
    And yet again you do it. Just get out.

How ungrateful! I thought you would be interested in the comments of someone who has played the game and I even linked to his video for you.

DJMizuhara is an excellent contributor to Blim's Gamersyde. It's worth at least following his video's and his comments tend to be quite insightful. You're a mate of his?

I didn't know this was a From Software title. They're doing some oddball exclusives, with this and Ninja Blade on Xbox!
  • uiruki 8 Feb 2009 17:16:19 3,766 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You know, the more I see of and read about this game the more interesting it becomes. After playing King's Field I can really see the appeal too. Might pick this up and delay getting SF4 til next payday (7200 yen at my local shop? Really?) as Ryu ga Gotoku 3 is a dead cert this month of course.
  • JinTypeNoir 9 Feb 2009 02:35:06 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    I don't have a grudge against this game per se, I just think this game is a good example of how far behind many Jp developers are. TBH, I'd lost interest in this game until I saw the comment of the guy on my Friends List.

And this post is a good example of why you're behind in cognitive ability development when compared to your peers, if you're fundamentally not interested in the game, don't post in the thread, K? Why would it matter who had an unhelpful comment that doesn't expand on anything meaningful? It wouldn't.

Look, if you're tired of Uncharted getting blasted because it's shitty and you are too, there are much better ways of dealing with that, like becoming less shitty of a person.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2009 03:01:42
    I didn't say I was fundamentally not interested, I said I had lost interest ie. my interest had waned. My interest in the game stems from being a PS3 owner and the game is a PS3 exclusive which had potential. I'm a shitty person because I posted what someone who has actually played the game said about it? Lol. FFS, grow up.

I used Uncharted as one example of what Jp developers should aspire to in terms of narrative and graphics. For a shitty game it scored pretty well on Famitsu: 9,9,9,9, significantly better than DS's 7/9/6/7.
  • JinTypeNoir 9 Feb 2009 03:58:56 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed, it works from a hub and you can go explore huge environments at your will from said hub. Much like a 3D Mario game, once you complete a certain amount of objectives, then a main thrust continues and so on, but you can go through a lot of the game, missing or taking in as much as you like. There are some cool little sidequests and NPCs to discover as well.

The atmosphere you describe works even better with the souls system. When you see ghostly presences and weird, cryptic warnings, it really helps the atmosphere shine even further. Like the ones pre-created in other games that you come across, but this time, they are user-created.

This game is an example of a truly compelling place that gaming can go that is not actively, right now being courted. In that case, it's more of a sign of what's right with Japanese developers than what's wrong with them. I think it's a pity there aren't as many RPG developers who are willing to sacrifice saleability for a more unique atmosphere and focus like this game.

Unfortunately, though, there are locks on doors with signs that say, "Shitty people cannot pass." You can't open the doors unless you're a non-shitty, which is unfortunate for Kenshin should he ever want to play it.
  • Scimarad 9 Feb 2009 07:25:26 8,638 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kenshin001 wrote:
    I don't have a grudge against this game per se, I just think this game is a good example of how far behind many Jp developers are.

For a game that's supposedly 'behind' it seems to be attracting a lot of interest in this thread.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2009 14:53:20
    Just a quick question lads : Does anyone know for sure if Renchi.com ship Sony products to Europe unlike Play-asia.com ?

Pre-order : http://www.renchi.com/renchi/PS3_Games_Asia_Demon_s_Souls_AS.htm

Is that a good price to begin with for an Import or would it be better to get it from Ebay?

Thanks
  • Aretak 9 Feb 2009 15:01:17 10,376 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, Renchi will ship Sony stuff to Europe AFAIK. YesAsia are another company that will. It's really only Play-Asia that won't I think.

As for the price, it seems about right for an import with the current exchange rates. I doubt it'll be any cheaper on eBay.
  • I_AM_THE_DOCTOR 9 Feb 2009 15:06:40 111 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just try and place an order, if it goes through then you are fine.
    I am pretty sure that they do send to EU though, read it somewhere but can't remember where.
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Feb 2009 15:07:29 4,259 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hadn't thought to try Renchi, thanks Klem.

It works out a little cheaper than ebay ($70 incl shipping to the UK) , but at least ebay sellers promise to mark items as 'gift'. I doubt Renchi or Yesasia would, and that's what concerns me. Could end up a lot more expensive.
  • johnlenham 9 Feb 2009 15:13:31 4,000 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This game has piped my interest but I imagine its going to cost me nearly 50 to get it lol
  • I_AM_THE_DOCTOR 9 Feb 2009 15:14:56 111 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dr.Haggard wrote:

It works out a little cheaper than ebay ($70 incl shipping to the UK) , but at least ebay sellers promise to mark items as 'gift'. I doubt Renchi or Yesasia would, and that's what concerns me. Could end up a lot more expensive.
    There is an option to put a fake price, and it goes up to 60% of the value, so only 40% of the value would be printed on the invoice. which is not so bad, you end up paying almost no customs.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2009 15:20:35
    Much appreciated guys , cheers for the info :)

PS : Fecking hell, SF IV, Demon's soul , Killzone 2 (and a couple of other things) - another wallet-raping month i'm afraid...
  • Dr.Haggard 9 Feb 2009 15:27:16 4,259 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I_AM_THE_DOCTOR wrote:
    Dr.Haggard wrote:

There is an option to put a fake price, and it goes up to 60% of the value, so only 40% of the value would be printed on the invoice. which is not so bad, you end up paying almost no customs.
    Ah! Cheers, never ordered from Renchi before. I think I might preorder with them in that case.
  • OnlyMe 9 Feb 2009 15:30:09 3,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really want the game, but I don't want to spend a fortune on it then finding out it'll be released in the US a couple of weeks later. I think I'll give it a couple of weeks before deciding.
  • Cappy 9 Feb 2009 16:07:44 12,119 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't wait for the US release (I'm hoping anyway) so I can start decrypting messages from other players.

"If U die here U R ghey."
  • Deleted user 9 February 2009 16:48:28
    Cappy wrote:
    I can't wait to for the US release (I'm hoping anyway) so I can start decrypting messages from other players.

"If U die here U R ghey."

UBER-lol, i think i love you Cappy ! (in a very manly and Platonic way).

Seriously now, i know what you're saying, same thing is with every online game though, isn't it mate? (fucking faggot, fucking n*gga, fucking immigrant,your mom etc - you know the drill...)

Anyway, is there an option guys for the game to display only messages from guys from your friends list?

Mr Disc is going to get it and Dr. Haggard too, now, if we can find other lovely EG peeps that are interested in the game maybe we could actually enjoy the online bit, correct-o?

It's either that or try to learn some Asian language (most unlikely)...
  • Deleted user 9 February 2009 23:27:14
    Having watched some of the feeds you put up, disc, I'm almost annoyed I'll miss out on this. It reminds me of some of the more obscure PC games you often come across which have everything down pat but just looks a little low-budget and weird, yet somehow comes across as more interesting. Frankly imo it looks rather dull visually, but its elevated somewhat by the otherworldlyness... may give it a rent when it comes out just to see how it plays. Anything like Castlevania is a win.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2009 23:32:44
    I think it's something they HAVE to be doing to win the oddball Japanese market. :p Kinda like Ninja Blade on the 360, it's got that really dull metallic gloss to it that marks it out as being a bit cheap, but somehow compelling. The From Software look... shame they're not developing either for both consoles.
  • Cappy 10 Feb 2009 09:54:43 12,119 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It seems messages are user reviewed and disappear if they're not considered useful by other players.

As a soul, the multiplay aspect is you can leave messages for other players scribbled on the floors. People can give the messages points... 0 point messages eventually fade away. When you die, you leave a puddle of blood on the floor and other players can touch the pool and watch the last few moments of your life. This is really cool! You can tell when you are entering a dangerous area because the floor will have several blood pools on it, and you can get an idea of what is coming up by watching the ghosts that come out of the blood pools. I've also seen clear white ghosts which must the other players playing through the game. It doesn't seem like you can interact and they fade away quickly.

Some interesting stuff there, in particularly dangerous areas there are bound to be lots of blood pools around so you'll have opportunities to get hints about traps and the challenges you will face.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2009 13:51:14
    disc wrote:
    It really looks like a game that Sony shouldn't be doing at the moment hehe because it really doesn't look suited to the mass market.

Yeah, but precisely the types of games that interest us nerdy types who want something that is a little leftfield. Will seem especially new for those of us who are unfamiliar with King's Field and other niche offerings.

Hoping the wonderful 'earthy' look (for lack of a better word) they've given it and third person perspective will help secure it a western release, possibily from Ubisoft who published Armored Core 4 Answer *fingers crossed*.
  • Cappy 10 Feb 2009 13:56:59 12,119 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it's going to be published overseas we'll probably have to wait for Sony since I understand they partially funded the title.

Which could be a very long wait indeed for a Euro release, SCEE don't do quick.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2009 13:59:55
    I didn't know about the financing arrangement of Demon's Soul I'll admit, but I recall Ubisoft published Wild Arms 3, so even if SCEE pass on it (would make for a good summer/autumn release to fill a gap in the schedule) maybe it'll be possible for someone else to pick it up.
  • Dr.Haggard 10 Feb 2009 16:29:22 4,259 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ordered from Renchi, came to 48 including shipping. The only drawback to having them mark down the value of the shipment is that if it gets lost in the post they'll only refund that amount, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't end up 30 out of pocket with no game.

They send it registered though so I'm not too worried.

/twitches
  • Dr.Haggard 10 Feb 2009 16:39:08 4,259 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disc wrote:
    It reminds me so much of Ico/Sotc that I have to have it.
    Just watching another video (this one) and it's still just screaming Severance at me. I'm completely smitten with this game now, there's so much I like in the videos I've seen I don't know where to start.
  • Aretak 10 Feb 2009 16:39:16 10,376 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The online aspect of it sounds fascinating. It seems like a really well thought-out and implemented system.
  • Cappy 10 Feb 2009 16:45:37 12,119 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Brace yourselves for the 5/10 EG will give it.
  • Dr.Haggard 10 Feb 2009 20:57:01 4,259 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually meant the environments too, but you've almost certainly seen a lot more of this than I have (I haven't allowed myself to watch any videos all the way through, hehe).

Nothing I've seen yet has brought Ico/SotC to mind other than the general bleak atmosphere and vastness of it, but Demon's Souls feels more cold and imposing. I'm happy either way, since I adore all three of those games.

I've seen a lot of a large castle which is reminiscent of a number of levels in Severance, and it's brought back such fond memories I think I may reinstall Severance tonight :)

Love the fact that weapons in DS actually clip with the environment, sometimes causing your swing to be interrupted and bounce back if you're fighting too close to a wall. That's pretty rare in my experience, but little details like that (albeit time consuming to implement and probably quite hard to get right) make a lot difference in a game where the realism and weightiness of the hacking and slashing is pretty important.
  • Widge Moderator 10 Feb 2009 21:51:42 13,746 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hm, I saw our hero fighting a giant with a massive sword and its sword was happily slicing right through columns and pillars.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Page

of 507 First / Last