Demon's Souls Page 376

• Page

of 504 First / Last

• Telepathic.Geometry 14 May 2013 08:08:32 11,288 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As for the PS3 question, I personally think that there are enough exclusives on there to make it a worthwhile purchase.

What have we got, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 1, 2 and 3, Infamous 1 and 2, Ratchet and Clank Future 1 and 2, Flower, Journey, Okami HD, Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Pixeljunk Shooter 1 and 2, God of War III (if you're into that kinda thing), The Last of Us, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian (a man has to have hope), Little Big Planet 1 and 2 (again, not my thing but it's undeniably good shit)...

Seems to me that there are a lot of reasons to get a PS3 this late in the cycle if you're into those exclusives and if there are a few other titles you haven't been able to get your hands on yet. Good for importers too.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Widge Moderator 14 May 2013 09:03:54 13,418 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And NEVER forget Valkyria Chronicles. God I love that game.

Oh there are loads of good distinct games. Even swapping to a PC as a primary gaming platform has left me with a fat load of PS3 goodness to switch back to.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 14 May 2013 15:04:20
    Heavy Rain...
  • geeza2020 25 May 2013 12:17:30 1,886 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    World tendency is bullshit.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 26 May 2013 13:30:39 11,288 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why?

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Deleted user 27 May 2013 20:07:46
    @geeza2020 Totes bullshit.
  • monkman76 31 May 2013 10:48:25 4,139 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right, started this last night - anyone kind enough to give me a few basic pointers, must-dos, don't-dos etc? Not wanting too much given away mind.. I've completed Dark Souls so not completely new to the whole thing :)
  • monkman76 31 May 2013 13:17:44 4,139 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks. How do you know which number world you're in? I think I'm in 1-1 (Boletaria Castle?), but haven't seen any numerical references.
  • quadfather 31 May 2013 13:29:44 11,975 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When you complete the first level (1-1), there's an option to go back to the Nexus (hub). When you then go back to the same archstone that you went to to get to 1-1, you'll see the next level has appeared. That's 1-2.

And if you choose the 2nd archstone from the nexus to select the available level (2-1), once you've done that and come back, you'll see the next one available (2-2)

Other tips include tendency. Both character tendency and world tendency. Which are affected by various things. I'd highly recommend reading up on the wiki about tendency - it doesn't spoil that much and can help you avoid messing a few things up

For reference - the more 'good' things you do, the whiter things get. The whiter the world, the easier the monsters are, but the lower the drop rate for items.

The more 'bad' things you do, it's reversed - harder monsters but better loot.

In addition, at pure white and pure black, different things can happen. Certain NPC's appear, or disappear, some gates are open, or no longer open etc etc.

If you want to keep your tendency as it is, it is *highly* recommended that you suicide in the nexus if you are in body form. You get your body form back by killing bosses and using stones of ephemeral eyes. Think hollow/unhollow in dark souls

The reason you should do this, is because if you die in human form in a world, it pushes the tendency towards black. Fine if you're after that, but I'd read up on it beforehand to decide what you want to do.

So when you kill a boss, you will automatically get your body form back. Most people at this point go to the nexus and kill themselves because that doesn't affect the tendency (there's no world tendency events in the nexus).

It's a bit weird, but once you get used to it, you'll be fine

Don't forget you can do any world's first level in any order. So 1-1, and then if you wanted to, say, you could then go to 4-1 for example.

Some people follow a sort of 'route' through the levels, once they find items that would suit their character style in certain worlds.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 31 May 2013 13:31:53 11,975 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think there's more body/soul form variables for invading/helping too, but I don't do much pvp so am not the expert on that

• quadfather 31 May 2013 13:35:29 11,975 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also, forgot to mention, when you're in soulform, your health is reduced to approximately 50/60% of the total (think cursed). However there's an item (in 1-1) that can help with that

Also, the whiter the tendency, the less your health is reduced in soulform

But for black tendency...

you get the picture ;)

• monkman76 31 May 2013 13:39:11 4,139 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather Thanks, that's helpful.
  • quadfather 31 May 2013 13:48:28 11,975 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No prob. Ah, and backstabs are harder (slightly smaller window), but ripostes I find easier, comparing both to dark souls, that is.

• monkman76 31 May 2013 14:26:57 4,139 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh that's odd, I played a good chunk of 1-1 yesterday and managed quite a few backstabs - seemed easier than Dark Souls. Or maybe it's that it's the opening level and I'm a seasoned Souls man :)
  • quadfather 31 May 2013 14:29:00 11,975 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or I'm crap at backstabs :)

I think it's because I didn't really use backstabs or risposte's when I played demon's first time round - only really learnt it in dark.

I can backstab ok now, but I'm sure riposting seems easier now

probably just me though

• monkman76 31 May 2013 14:32:00 4,139 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the ripostes in the tutorial seemed easier. Still too chicken to try them out on the harder enemies, ie. where you need them.. :/
  • quadfather 31 May 2013 14:33:43 11,975 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, have a crack at the first enemy you see in 4-1 and let me know how you get on :)

• EliteAssassin 1 Jun 2013 02:14:15 221 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Playing Demon's Souls, when I encounter Slaves who are fans of Macklemore :confused: :-P

P.S: the game is AWESOME!

Edited by EliteAssassin at 02:14:43 01-06-2013

YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Lusiadas33
    Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/Lusiadas33
    SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.com/lusiadas33

• Widge Moderator 5 Jun 2013 07:51:32 13,418 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Backstabs seem harder in this. Framerate more crispy though!

Just did the tutorial and sped through a load of 1-1 like a cheeky cocky fucker, leaving red eyes knight alone of course.

Just triggered the first chain shortcut and was going down the dark stairwell when I was just given a particularly hard time by some brand wielding grunts. Was looking dicey when PSN signed me out. Looks like another time for that section!

Kicked off game as a magic character, so expecting to go dex. When dark souls 2 appears, I'll do that strength faith build.

EDIT:

Think I might re-roll as Royalty.

Edited by Widge at 11:26:34 05-06-2013

_ _ _

• Tuffty 7 Jun 2013 13:42:35 1,534 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So there's a section in 1-1 that looks like you could clearly get to it, but a door is blocking the way, with no option to open or hinting that you need a key. I assume it's one of these things that happens when the World Tendency has changed? I'll have to read up on how to change it. Is it one of those things that would be better off doing near end game or in NG+ when you have more resources to use? Don't wanna try and experiment with something and make things too hard for myself or too easy and find I want to revert back to neutral but can't because oh look I just used up all my stone of ephermal eyes....

Edited by Tuffty at 13:43:05 07-06-2013
  • Bremenacht 7 Jun 2013 13:50:47 17,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I did it very late on buts that's 'cos I really didn't know what what to do wrt WT. You go blacker every time you die (world or character,can't remember), but by killing yourself in the nexus, you lose nothing. So, the trick to getting full white is to kill yourself in the nexus every time you kill a boss. Oh, and to stay off-line in case the average on-line WT is less than yours.

"Stay off-line?" you're thinking "what's the point in that?" Well, you either stay on-line and enjoy the on-line stuff like invasions and messages and the like, or you stay off-line to get to stuff that unlocks.

I guess you could stay off-line in order to unlock an area and then go back on-line once it's been unlocked. Then repeat for the next locked area. Maybe someone who knows Demon's Souls well could answer that.

Edited by Bremenacht at 13:51:44 07-06-2013
  • Aretak 7 Jun 2013 14:00:49 10,350 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    So there's a section in 1-1 that looks like you could clearly get to it, but a door is blocking the way, with no option to open or hinting that you need a key. I assume it's one of these things that happens when the World Tendency has changed?
    If you mean the one near the start, yes, it requires either pure black or pure white WT. Can't remember what's down there though. A set of armour I think. It also stays unlocked even if your WT changes later.
  • quadfather 7 Jun 2013 14:09:48 11,975 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    For that door -

Start the game and do NOT go bodyform. Kill phalanx. Go to nexus (this updates the tendency) and then go back. Keep going (you may have to kill another boss to shift your tendency further white) and eventually it'll open when you get pure white. It doesn't take that long, but the point here is being in bodyform and being online.

Every time you die in bodyform, it shifts it further black as Bremenacht says. So if you keep popping stones of ephemeral eyes and then keep dying straight after - that's a one way ticket to pure-black-ville.

however, if you are online, you inherit the server's world tendency.

so the important thing to remember is - if you don't care about tendency stuff at the moment, play online.

But if you want to carefully manipulate world tendency events, it is highly recommended that you do it offline

As it's fairly complicated and no-one would be able to guess all this first time (combined with the fact you can gimp yourself quite badly), I would highly recommend getting your head around this. It is a link to the world tendency page on the demon's souls wiki. Yes, it's spoilery, but this is the probably the only thing where you do really need to know about it

There's all kinds of weird and wonderful things that can happen with tendency - including weapons that do lots more damage or a lot LESS damage, depending on the tendency setting.

Read it, trust me - or you'll end up like my first character - Unusable!

• quadfather 7 Jun 2013 14:11:00 11,975 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And for the record, down that gate is Miralda (in body form) if you're in white tendency, or black phantom miralda if you're pure black. plus some other goodies

• Tuffty 7 Jun 2013 14:16:50 1,534 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm I'm starting to dislike it already haha. I think I'll play the game as is right now for the hell of it and just beat it. I can always go back to it later. Hell I know I will!
  • quadfather 7 Jun 2013 14:39:08 11,975 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tuffty - That's what I do - it's no problem and it won't affect your gameplay and like you say, you can always re-visit later on - there's no rush.

The only thing I will say is though, when you kill a boss and get your body back - go back to the nexus and suicide. This would normally affect tendency, but there's no tendency events in the nexus, so you don't get the penalty shift of going further black.

That's all you need to bear in mind really

Course you can play it how you want :)

I just knew that I *had* to see what was through that gate - I was too curious and it bugged me!

• f00b_inc 7 Jun 2013 15:32:13 692 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hello old friends (or at least, anyone that frequented the Dark Souls thread on release!)

I've picked this up (again) courtesy of PS+ after having bought it and never got round to playing it back in the day... Planning to get cracking on it over the weekend in between the tennis I thought I'd be cheeky and ask for a couple of Quick Tips for getting started since there are 370+ pages on here!

I went through Dark Souls multiple times as a pyro that morphed into a bit of a heavy melee (STR/END?) type by the end of the game. I thought for a change of pace I'd try to mix this up with a nimble magic type character for Demon's Souls - presumably there's still a Faith mechanic? Any suggestions on starting character to get me rolling quickly? :-)

Quad I think I'll read up on the World Tendencies too - thanks for that. Looks more complicated than Dark Souls!

/hope this one doesn't kill my PS3 like the sequel did.
  • Bremenacht 7 Jun 2013 15:41:42 17,701 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think a magic character gives you a nice ranged spell to fire, so it'd be one of the easiest characters to start with. How it'd fare later in the game, I dunno.
  • Widge Moderator 7 Jun 2013 15:46:05 13,418 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Royal is the one to start for magic builds...

_ _ _

• Page

of 504 First / Last