Demon's Souls Page 366

• Page

of 504 First / Last

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 14:36:46 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right, this is going to sound really stupid, but if I use a meltstone to return an item to its base properties, does that also use up the meltstone in the process? Or can I use it over and over again to return items to their base properties?

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 18:15:19 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never mind, I'm a twat, worked it out

• FanBoysSuck 20 Jan 2013 14:35:46 1,486 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan See this is what I love about the Souls games and the community that surrounds them: you can have a decent discussion without it descending into an argument!

Thinking about it I agree that 3-1 and 3-2 are both brilliantly designed, apart from that phantom at the end of 3-1, she can really mess you up and she comes out of nowhere!

I actually found that they broke the game ever so slightly with 1.06 when it came to PvE. Elemental weapons became next to useless for the most part and they broke the Eagle shield. I play mostly offline so making things more PvP focused was a disappointment.

I'm getting a bit off topic now (I think we discussed the Dark Souls stuff in the relevant thread not too long ago) so I'll leave you guys to have fun ;)

For the emperor!

• quadfather 20 Jan 2013 15:36:19 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, that was a good weekend session.

Got secret dagger, got winged spear, got compound long bow, got leather armour, got heater shield.

Upgraded spear to 6. compound bow is on sticky 2, heater shield is on 6. Crescent falchion is on 2.

Done all of world 2, and even got the dbs now it's on pure white and given flamelurkers soul to ed.

Now it's a case of farming world 2 a bit (razzed through using all the shortcuts) to get the spiderstone for the bow (which is pretty good at the moment, cant wait to get it fully upgraded), then maybe world 5 for the ore for the secret dagger now Ive got decent poison res armour. Though I might wait till I've got better healing items for that.

So it could be world 4 for the falchion upgrades or meander through 3 for a laugh (3-1 is all opened up, just need to do idol)

I've got a healthy amount of crystal lizards too, so beefing up the stockpile

Had to cheese flamelurker though with the bow, as I attempted it last night after a lot of beer late at night, and didn't trust myself :)

so much fun 2 handing the falchion with the extra confidence and skill obtained from playing dark souls to death. Really enjoying it this time round

• Dangerous_Dan 21 Jan 2013 05:37:54 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck I guess people don't mind too much if some Dark Souls flows into the Demon's Souls thread and vice versa.

Yeah the Phantom at the end of 3-2 can be a real pain, I know what you mean ;)

Well, yep in 1.06 the elemental weapons got nerfed quite a bit but actually I think it makes the soul level now much more important.
    You see, a soul level 10 guy with a chaos uchi +5 at 10 humanity did about as much damage as a character who brought his intelligence stat up to 50 and used an enchanted uchi +5. That means that a soul level 10 dude was as much of a damage dealer as a SL 80 dude with stat points put into intelligence. (just one example)

Now the invading mechanic is based on soul level which means that maxed SL 10 dudes got to invade non maxed around SL 10 dudes and destroying them. Which was a big problem.

Now, elemental weapons are still very useful but only for low level chars who don't want to put points into dexterity or intelligence or faith for damage scaling.
    I see much more diversity in builds resulting from that nerf.
    Now at SL 50 your opponent either pumped points into health and endurance and wields a chaos uchi. Or he has lower health and endurance and 40 dex + normal uchi +15.

In other words before 1.06 scaling was useless. It was pointless to have 40 points in dex if a guy with 14 dex points could wield a chaos uchi with around the same damage output. The 40 dex points only got useful again at very high SLs, when people also started to max a secondary damage stat like intelligence and applied a crystal magic weapon buff for example.

The game got definitely harder in NG, because now having put points into dex is very useful, especially in the new content areas. Before that, the smart choice had been to use elemental weapons and pump vitality and endurance, resulting in high damage, high vitality builds at low soul levels.
  • Dangerous_Dan 21 Jan 2013 05:42:01 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather Cheers! Sounds like a well spent weekend :)
    Depending on your SL ... I could drop some blade stones for you, like, how much can you carry?

My blade stone char is at SL 57 which means a char at 43 or so should be within range.
  • quadfather 21 Jan 2013 09:39:03 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @quadfather Cheers! Sounds like a well spent weekend :)
    Depending on your SL ... I could drop some blade stones for you, like, how much can you carry?

My blade stone char is at SL 57 which means a char at 43 or so should be within range.
    Yeah, it was a good run. Although last night (after too many beers!) I completely failed against the adjudicator - got too cocky and was trying to go toe to toe too much.

I've got the herculean ring, so I can carry a fair bit. I think I'm around SL 27-30 at the moment so I need to level up a bit more.

15 vit / end / dex, and 22 str for the compound long bow

• erekose200 21 Jan 2013 11:12:32 81 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dark souls fan here. I've just got Demon's souls after finishing my fourth run through of it's sequel. Any advice for someone who has never played Demon's before?

Edited by erekose200 at 11:12:48 21-01-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 21 Jan 2013 11:14:26 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather Actually you only need 15 strength for the compound long bow...

In Demon's Souls the bow weapons count as always being two handed so you always have that 50% strength bonus.

So at 15 strength when two handed you have 15 + 15/2 = 22.5 strength which is enough to wield the compound long bow no problem.
  • Dangerous_Dan 21 Jan 2013 11:17:39 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @erekose200
    Don't read no wiki on the subject of worlds, weapon upgrades are similar yet much more specific.
    If you wanna do it solo don't connect to the Demon's Souls severs. They ruin your world tendency each time you reconnect to them.

Don't die in body form in any of the worlds or you'll change the world tendency to darker which makes the game more difficult and you may never see the white world effects like certain NPCs or open gates.
  • quadfather 21 Jan 2013 11:20:01 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @quadfather Actually you only need 15 strength for the compound long bow...

In Demon's Souls the bow weapons count as always being two handed so you always have that 50% strength bonus.

So at 15 strength when two handed you have 15 + 15/2 = 22.5 strength which is enough to wield the compound long bow no problem.
    Yeah, I forgot about that

/facepalm

Ah well, it's done now

Crescent falchion is still kicking arse. I might take it to 5, just to see what it's like. Or at least 4, so I don't have to farm for the pure darkmoonstone.

Havent' started using the spear yet - it's still at 6, and I'm at that stage where every time I get souls or ore, there's loads of things to do!

• quadfather 21 Jan 2013 11:27:18 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    erekose200 wrote:
    Dark souls fan here. I've just got Demon's souls after finishing my fourth run through of it's sequel. Any advice for someone who has never played Demon's before?
    Combat is the same, but you might find it slightly faster. Backstabbing is a little harder (until you get used to it), and parrying is easier (at least, I found it easier)

Dan has touched on the tendency. Personally, I'd encourage reading the wiki about tendency against Dan's advice (:p) just to get your head around it.

Weapon scaling is more effective in demon's than in dark.

You don't need to worry about upgrading armour as you can't - just focus on weapons and shields etc

Whenever you kill a boss, you'll get your body back. Soon as this happens, go back to the nexus and kill yourself to put yourself back in soul form. (As Dan says, it's very detrimental to tendency, if you die out in the field in body form)

Magic is very effective against most bosses.

Once you've opened up the first level (1-1), you don't have to do 1-2 straight after. You can go to any other of the worlds first areas (2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1 etc) Doing this means you can explore wherever you like to get items you want in the order you want (Once you've decided what you like that is!)

When you kill a boss, you normally get their specific soul, ala Dark souls. As in Dark Souls, don't consume these until you've unlocked a particular blacksmith that can "ascend" items with the souls.

Watch out for knights with red eyes, and black skeletons :)

• dominalien 21 Jan 2013 15:41:54 6,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @erekose200
    Don't read no wiki on the subject of worlds, weapon upgrades are similar yet much more specific.
    If you wanna do it solo don't connect to the Demon's Souls severs. They ruin your world tendency each time you reconnect to them.

Don't die in body form in any of the worlds or you'll change the world tendency to darker which makes the game more difficult and you may never see the white world effects like certain NPCs or open gates.
    Actually, I'd say the exact opposite: don't worry about upgrades, world tendencies and playing solo. Play NG as it comes, start worrying about all that stuff in NG+.

Of course, it's up to you. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• dominalien 21 Jan 2013 15:45:18 6,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Started this again yesterday in the office and I'm in love all over again. Opted for a Wanderer this time; the lack of ranged weapons is really making me readjust my playing style. Just about 1.5 hours in, I'm maybe halfway through 1-1. Haven't died once, yet.

The 24-hour limit on copying from online storage is a bitch, although it makes perfect sense in the context of this game. Still, I can only play while I'm at work, now. I think I'll be pulling very long days in the coming weeks. :-)

• quadfather 21 Jan 2013 15:49:57 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien - you get to play at work? How do you manage that?!

Yup, agreed though, I'm back in love with it too. I've been mulling over where I'm going to go tonight with it :)

• dominalien 21 Jan 2013 15:53:24 6,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather

I'm the boss, so...

In any case, I only get to play when I have no pressing stuff to take care of, which is almost never. I managed to sneak in an hour yesterday afternoon, and some 30 minutes this morning. :-)

• quadfather 21 Jan 2013 15:57:31 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien - fair do's then :)

Saying that, I've got a few gog games on my work laptop, and I was playing a windowed version of dungeon master earlier :p

• dominalien 21 Jan 2013 20:38:24 6,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You mean the old old one I was playing on my Atari ST? Good times. :-)

• erekose200 22 Jan 2013 02:57:45 81 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. Can't wait to start this. I was a bit worried that it would be a step back from Dark but I gather from reading up that it's just 'different' rather then better or worse.

Regarding tendancy.. it sounds like you're saying it's better to have a white rather then black world tendency?
  • dominalien 22 Jan 2013 06:04:16 6,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @erekose200

Depends on what you're trying to do. The game is easier with white tendency, but certain events only happen when it's full black. You can complete the game without worrying about it at all.

• Telepathic.Geometry 22 Jan 2013 06:21:41 11,366 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really think that FromSoftware could make a killing and be hailed once again as heroes if they released DLC for that final missing level in Demon's Souls. I'm playing through Dark Souls again now thanks to Artorias, and I'd love to have a good excuse to go at Demon's Souls again...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• dominalien 22 Jan 2013 07:04:56 6,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry
    Get a different region version. :-) that's my excuse; I did the US one before and now I' doing the EU one.

• Telepathic.Geometry 22 Jan 2013 07:11:17 11,366 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @dominalien: I dunno, I reckon my best bet is just starting the game over again as a class I never got into. Like a strength/dexterity build or some shit like that...

I always went with a glass cannon mage, so it'd be nice to know how the game plays actually being able to take a hit. :)

• Telepathic.Geometry 22 Jan 2013 07:22:19 11,366 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    By the way, I'll add you on my PSN later domin... and then groom you.

• dominalien 22 Jan 2013 08:28:53 6,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You changed your PSN ID again, T.G? I haven't seen any activity from you in a while. You Japanese and your Japanese ways! :-)

• quadfather 22 Jan 2013 09:38:24 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    erekose200 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. Can't wait to start this. I was a bit worried that it would be a step back from Dark but I gather from reading up that it's just 'different' rather then better or worse.

Regarding tendancy.. it sounds like you're saying it's better to have a white rather then black world tendency?
    As the guys say, it depends what you want to do. Pure white is easier and monsters drop less special loot and gates and things appear, whereas black is harder, monsters drop more special loot and gates and doors and things appear.

The problem with it is twofold -

1) Attaining white is done by killing npc black phantoms that appear and killing bosses. Along with killing invading players and helping other players. However, dying in body form (which you get after killing a boss) lowers your tendency to black (which is why it's recommended to kill yourself in the nexus in body form, as that won't affect any of the worlds tendencies)

2) Offline / online. When you play offline, whatever actions you do dictate what the tendency is. Fair enough. But if you play online, you inherit the servers current world tendency setting which is based on what ALL the players are generally up to (it averages it)

So while being online might give you a bit of a white boost (it's generally white-ish most of the time), you can't really plan things properly, as certain events need an exact amount of white or dark.

And then there's character tendency. But think of that as a kind of alignment.

It's a bit tricky to know what to suggest to a new player, apart from don't worry about it and have a play about and see what you think. Then later on, if you fancy exploring all the game has to offer, tendency wise, you can plan it out and go for it

• dominalien 22 Jan 2013 09:41:15 6,978 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a bit tricky to know what to suggest to a new player, apart from don't worry about it and have a play about and see what you think. Then later on, if you fancy exploring all the game has to offer, tendency wise, you can plan it out and go for it
    This x 456. Just play the game. :-)

• Dangerous_Dan 22 Jan 2013 09:43:39 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather You can plan world tendency if you summon somebody and send him back with the Resurrection miracle. But for that you need to get the boss soul of 5-3.
  • quadfather 22 Jan 2013 09:44:15 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Had a better run last night. Got adjudicator down finally, so I can start farming for the falchion.

Really glad I've put the hours in on dark souls, because I'm ripping through the skeletons in world 4 with abandon. Apart from when I get cocky or take multiple ones on of course :)

Thought I'd also bite the bullet and give world 5 a go...

Jesus, I remember it being bleak and full of despair, but not this much!

Managed 5-1 *fairly* ok (as in, got the plague 3 times by the rats!) and sorted boss out, but when I got to the main area of 5-2 (the bit at the start where you're on the top looking down at the whole level), it kinda made me feel that I just wasn't ready for it! Bit overwhelming after all this time!

So my character is just stuck at the bottom, ready to either plod on, or evacuate the fuck out of there :)

• quadfather 22 Jan 2013 09:45:06 12,254 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oo, and that blessed mace +1 in 5-1 - that's a pretty good weapon actually, looking at it

• Page

of 504 First / Last