Demon's Souls Page 365

• Page

of 507 First / Last

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 11:58:26 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - Yeah. I have actually done them a couple of times 'normally', by circling the brazier a lot and having light weapon cast at all times

ok, so secret dagger, sticky compound long bow, and then winged spear for main weapon.

Perhaps.

OR!

I could go strength and use something else. a crushing long sword +5 scales S with strength

gah, ffs, here we go again

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Dangerous_Dan 18 Jan 2013 12:26:53 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I tried strength but I didn't like that path very much. The bigger weapons don't appeal to me and that's the only reason to invest in strength. Magic, faith and dex also yield high damage weapons, and the bonus of miracles, spells or having a good bow.
  • quadfather 18 Jan 2013 12:36:29 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    True. And I suppose it's only really the meat cleaver that would be any use investing in. And it's sloooowwww. Apart from that, it'd be the dbs

I'm just looking at all the weapons + unique weapons now to get some kind of plan.

I am still slightly tempted going half magic and half dex, as it seems a lot of weapons scale really well with magic

• Dangerous_Dan 18 Jan 2013 12:46:43 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, there is an overlap between dex and magic as there is one between blessed and strength.
    The dex/magic type weapons are quick strike and the blessed/strength weapons are more of a crushing nature.
    Moon weapons are good if you have dex and magic and try to play it thief style, the mana regeneration aura of crescent weapons is more visible in PvE and even more in PvP. In PvP you may just as well not wear a thief ring at all.
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Jan 2013 12:49:34 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After many trials I found that I'm more a sword, spear, dagger, falchion, rapier, european medieval weapons kind of guy. And a bow of course. A bow is often a favourite of mine in RPGs and it's very useful in DeS.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 12:49:46 18-01-2013
  • quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:02:16 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, sod it, I'm going to go dex, with a smattering of magic just for the basics I think.

I'll try the winged spear, as it'll see me nicely through a few runs of 2-x to get some ore farmed, then take it from there.

First stop is 4-1 for that bow though, and maybe 3-1 for the secret dagger, as I've unlocked most of that level now so it shouldnt take long

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:02:45 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When do you normally play demon's, if you do nowadays? I'm kinda limited to 1 day at the weekend, and the odd evening after work

• Dangerous_Dan 18 Jan 2013 13:16:16 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Usually I can make time during the weekdays in the evening. On weekends it depends, often I am out of town, like this one. If you want just send me a PM that you'll be on later that evening/night and we can do some coop or give you some of the rare stones.

Basically the pure blade stone needs to be farmed which took me about 40 kills of that black skeleton in the hidden passage in 4-2 at pure black world tendency. Which takes quite some time...

All the other stones can either be found or are dropped by crystal lizards which are easy to get if you use the thief ring + cloak spell + good bow.
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Jan 2013 13:29:46 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd not try to level the winged spear straight away. Blade stones are really hard to come by and sharp upgrading starts right from the get go at +0 normal upgrade.

Collect the winged spear from 1-2 on the first bridge and leave, you should be able to do it without getting roasted by the dragon.

I'd try to get a hold of the crescent falchion in 4-1 as soon as possible. With a good shield and base winged spear that should be doable. Then use the crescent falchion to march through 2-1 and start upgrading the long composite bow which you also collected in 4-1, make it sticky after +3.

Now you can farm a bit of stuff in world 2 and 4 to make you stronger and better, upgrade the crescent falchion a bit and the sticky bow, invest in dex as your main damage stat. With the sticky bow you can kill the wizard in 4-2 who controls all those ghosts easily and farm crescent stones to further upgrade your crescent falchion.

After that you are truly well prepared for the rest of the game in NG. It's much less frustrating that way.
  • quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:30:34 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That probably suits me better too - weekends are normally random (like this one is going to be). Cool, I'll give you a buzz if I know I'm going to be on. It'll take me a while to get up to speed though (literally just done 1-1, got crescent falchion and opened up 3-1 a bit)

Pure black tendency + that skeleton + 40 times? Jesus H Christ, that must have taken AAAAAGGESSS :)

So my shopping list so far is

1) Get winged spear from 1-2
    2) Go to 4-1 and pickup the compound long bow
    3) Get secret dagger from 3-1
    4) Go to 2-x, using spear and kill everything a million times for spiderstone for bow
    5) Go to 5-x, and kill everything a million times for marrowstone for dagger
    6) Contemplate whether to get miralda's bits of armour
    7) Upgrade everything as and when
    8) Do all the above whilst drinking for added badass effect :)

• Dangerous_Dan 18 Jan 2013 13:33:42 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Pure black tendency + that skeleton + 40 times? Jesus H Christ, that must have taken AAAAAGGESSS :)

Not only that, it's also quite tricky to kill and not be killed by that beast in pure black world tendency.
    Takes a couple of backstabs and 2 handed work while not getting hit by one of his jump slicing attacks. Oh and you may think about the crescent falchion, it makes things much easier as mentioned above.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 13:34:26 18-01-2013
  • quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:35:09 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    I'd not try to level the winged spear straight away. Blade stones are really hard to come by and sharp upgrading starts right from the get go at +0 normal upgrade.

Collect the winged spear from 1-2 on the first bridge and leave, you should be able to do it without getting roasted by the dragon.

I'd try to get a hold of the crescent falchion in 4-1 as soon as possible. With a good shield and base winged spear that should be doable. Then use the crescent falchion to march through 2-1 and start upgrading the long composite bow which you also collected in 4-1, make it sticky after +3.

Now you can farm a bit of stuff in world 2 and 4 to make you stronger and better, upgrade the crescent falchion a bit and the sticky bow, invest in dex as your main damage stat. With the sticky bow you can kill the wizard in 4-2 who controls all those ghosts easily and farm crescent stones to further upgrade your crescent falchion.

After that you are truly well prepared for the rest of the game in NG. It's much less frustrating that way.
    heh, I'd just posted my plan of attack as you did. Already got the falchion, but missed the bow.

So level dex, but upgrade falchion? Maybe chuck in a bit of int as well for the benefit? Are you suggesting to use the falchion for all of ng?

Isn't the spear better than the falchion for 2-x?

Shit, totally forgot about a shield

• dominalien 18 Jan 2013 13:37:01 7,071 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Basically the pure blade stone needs to be farmed which took me about 40 kills of that black skeleton in the hidden passage in 4-2 at pure black world tendency. Which takes quite some time...
    Just 40 times? I think I needed around a hundred for that. Although I was farming the skeleton on the ledge just before the stairs down to the lake. I remember being very proud of the method I devised to make it as fast and as soul-worthy as possible. The whole procedure took me from SL130 to SL175 in NG+.

When I finally did it, I swore I would never to do it again, but recently I've been feeling the DS pull again. Just as well; the EU trophies are right there for the taking. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:37:52 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thinking heater shield and then maybe dss later on for mag res

• dominalien 18 Jan 2013 13:39:13 7,071 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

Not only that, it's also quite tricky to kill and not be killed by that beast in pure black world tendency.
    Takes a couple of backstabs and 2 handed work while not getting hit by one of his jump slicing attacks. Oh and you may think about the crescent falchion, it makes things much easier as mentioned above.
    For my farming, since I was coming up from the bottom, I used the Soulsucker spell, essentially one-hitting the black skeleton from behind.

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:39:49 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien - Aye, after 300 hours of dark souls, I am now well and truly ready (and very much looking forward to) playing demon's again.

Have you played it recently after hours of dark souls? I was absolutely amazed at how *fast* it is - both the movement and smoothness of the game itself, and the character zipping about

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:40:53 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

For my farming, since I was coming up from the bottom, I used the Soulsucker spell, essentially one-hitting the black skeleton from behind.
    That's ng+ only though isn't it?

• dominalien 18 Jan 2013 13:42:50 7,071 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @quadfather

No, I haven't touched it since I completed Dark Souls. I just need to get some other games out of the way first, and then I think I'll dig into it.

BTW, I'm amazed at how long you've been playing Dark Souls, and you don't even have all the trophies for it! Once I'd got my platinum, I sort of lost interest. I'm just not very much into all the PvP stuff.

• dominalien 18 Jan 2013 13:45:23 7,071 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

Hmm, possibly. I don't really remember the particulars, it was already a couple of years ago. :-) But I remember it was taking me less than two minutes per run - spawn in, run up killing everything in the way, soulsucker the skeleton, be annoyed at not having got the Pure Bladestone, evacuate with the spell (or was it a miracle?), repeat. Wonderful times.

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:47:54 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien - I'm the same. I've got a list as long as my arm, and just started dishonored, but I have the souls' twitch at the moment!

Yeah, still bloody playing it! Had a few months off a couple of months ago, but came storming back when the dlc came out and started some more characters :)

I don't do pvp either - my problem (?) is that I love different types of characters, so it's glacial progression overall, but when it all dings together, my ps3 will probably explode with the amount of trophy's it needs to give me :)

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:49:03 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

Hmm, possibly. I don't really remember the particulars, it was already a couple of years ago. :-) But I remember it was taking me less than two minutes per run - spawn in, run up killing everything in the way, soulsucker the skeleton, be annoyed at not having got the Pure Bladestone, evacuate with the spell (or was it a miracle?), repeat. Wonderful times.
    Yeah, I'd like to do that too - but I never got the soulsucker spell - that's why I think it's ng+, because I'm sure that spell is from the woman in black's soul and you can only choose to kill her and get her soul at the end of ng

• dominalien 18 Jan 2013 13:54:26 7,071 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a great spell, but has a very narrow field of application. And yes, it's from the maiden's in black (or maiden in black's?) soul.

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 13:56:33 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan - so -

Level dex, but upgrade falchion? Maybe chuck in a bit of int as well for the benefit? Are you suggesting to use the falchion for all of ng?

Isn't the spear better than the falchion for 2-x?

• Dangerous_Dan 18 Jan 2013 13:57:18 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien It felt like 100 times but I checked the amount of souls I had collected and knew how much I collected in one run so made an approximation. Maybe I was lucky. Didn't have the large sword of searching with me.

I don't plan on farming for the blade stone again any time soon. I have about 100 of them now due to the duplication glitch and so if anybody wants one, well that char is about SL 57 I think and is willing to give them away.
  • Dangerous_Dan 18 Jan 2013 14:00:50 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather The minions in world 2 are vulnerable to piecring attacks and to magic, so both those weapons work great on them. A magic piercing weapon would be the best but in the early game the falchion works like a charm.

With the crescent falchion at +3 or +4 you can pretty much clear the whole game without investing any points in magic. It's that powerful in NG.
    But I am suggesting you use the crescent falchion to get the upgrades for your dex weapon going. It's a very helpful weapon.
    Once your spear is starting to surpass your falchion I'd switch.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 14:02:18 18-01-2013
  • quadfather 18 Jan 2013 14:08:56 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @quadfather The minions in world 2 are vulnerable to piecring attacks and to magic, so both those weapons work great on them. A magic piercing weapon would be the best but in the early game the falchion works like a charm.

With the crescent falchion at +3 or +4 you can pretty much clear the whole game without investing any points in magic. It's that powerful in NG.
    But I am suggesting you use the crescent falchion to get the upgrades for your dex weapon going. It's a very helpful weapon.
    Once your spear is starting to surpass your falchion I'd switch.
    Fair do's. Makes sense. Didn't realise it was that powerful. Thanks

Ok, so we're looking at a sharp winged spear, a fatal secret dagger, a sticky compound longbow and a upgraded heater shield and maybe a dss shield afterwards.

Right.

Now I need to focus on armour

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 14:11:04 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I guess I'll have to take the spear down the normal path until I get bladestone, at which point, do I need to use a meltstone to change it to sharp?

• quadfather 18 Jan 2013 14:14:43 13,423 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you're lucky...

• Dangerous_Dan 18 Jan 2013 14:19:25 2,378 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather Yes, then you'd need the meltstone. There is one in the each NG, I think.
    Cheers and good luck with your build, gotta get things going for the weekend!
  • dominalien 18 Jan 2013 14:19:32 7,071 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    If you're lucky...
    Watching this just reminds me how much I loved this game. :-)

• Page

of 507 First / Last