Demon's Souls Page 362

• Page

of 507 First / Last

• quadfather 16 Oct 2012 16:17:46 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    Taking of differences between this and Dark Souls, could a kind soul provide a short-but-extended list? I know for instance that there are no bonfires here and that Nexus is your heal-up / level-up point, but what are the others?

Also, should I progress through the worlds in order (1-1, 1-2, 1-3, etc.) or are there benefits in jumping between them in a different order (like getting better gear etc.)?
    1) World Tendency and Character tendency

I suppose you could link them (albeit in a very flimsy way) to dark souls' covenants.

Basically, if you die in human form, the world shifts slightly towards black tendency. If you kill bosses, you slowly shift back to white tendency. (this is why there's loads of suicide bloodstains in the nexus - people that play in soul form that have just got their body back (by killing a boss) will go back to the nexus and kill themselves. There's no tendency penalty for this, and then they go back out there and carry on (There's no penalty for dying in soul form))

White tendency - Enemies slightly easier to kill, less items drop (think discovery rate)
    Black Tendencay - Enemies slightly harder to kill, better drop rate.

There's also gates and npc's that open/close/appear/disapper depending on the tendency.

To be honest, you're best off reading up on tendency as it's quite complicated and affects a fair few things - I've mentioned about 20% worth of what occurs and I haven't even covered the online/offline benefits of playing about with the tendency

2) As you say, there's no bonfires, only the archstones between levels. however, I found that there's more shortcuts that you can open to help out than there is in dark souls. Which makes sense, since dark souls is more open plan.

3) The blacksmiths. There's 2 of them. one in the nexus (basic) and one later on. (let me know if you want spoilers). The one later on can do more stuff than the basic one. (i.e., using boss souls to create stuff - but you need a specific item to get him to do it)

4) Weapon scaling
    It works more effectively in demon's. When a weapon scales S with a stat, it makes a bigger difference in damage output than the equivalent in dark souls

The order of which you play doesn't really matter to start with. But if you want certain items, you need to follow a specific path.

For example, there's a good sword in 4.1. So after 1.1 you could go straight to 4.1 to get it. The enemies are much trickier in 4.1 but if you're only going to nick the sword, it doesn't matter - straight in, straight out.

It's probably recommended to do 1.1, then 1.2, then 4.1 (if you want the sword), then 2.1 and 2.2 to unlock certain things and then you can take it from there.

Magic users might want to go to 3.1 after that to do something specific, whereas melee builds might want to check out the rest of world 4

Edited by quadfather at 16:22:37 16-10-2012

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 16 Oct 2012 16:27:37 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also, it's slightly harder to backstab in demon's. The angle at which it accepts a successful attack is smaller than in Dark.

• Dangerous_Dan 16 Oct 2012 17:09:00 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Quaddy offers some ace tips.
    Best advice I can give is to not read up too much on everything but discovering all on your own.
    Secondly set the gamma in the options menu. Dark places need to be pitch dark.
    Thirdly and most important, let me know when and where you are in human form so I can invade and destroy you!
  • JonFE 16 Oct 2012 22:06:02 1,456 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @quadfather
    Thank you for the extended info; much appreciated!

@Dangerous_Dan
    If my previous Dark Souls experience is any indication, I very much doubt I'll be able to keep my human form long enough for you -or anyone else for that matter- to invade me :|
  • Dangerous_Dan 16 Oct 2012 22:20:03 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    :/ Umbasa...
  • quadfather 16 Oct 2012 23:30:31 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No worries, anytime - let me know if you need anything else

You'll get there, trust me :)

And avoid dan, he's a demon in pvp :D

• Widge Moderator 19 Oct 2012 14:00:19 13,728 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wondering whether to try and finish this off after having just dusted Dark Souls off.

Just going through the guide that comes with the game, I remember how much harder souls, items and getting to the NPC's was in this game.

Feel that the special tendency events make this a much more unforgiving game to max out.

Hoping the US online is still active!

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• quadfather 20 Oct 2012 10:40:29 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I haven't played it for about 3 months or so, but it was active then (the US one)

• quadfather 2 Nov 2012 13:23:17 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is your motivation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZdlrnW84kM

:)

• Lotos8ter 3 Nov 2012 11:22:53 2,365 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having all sorts of problems on this.

Found the easy boss "Adjudicator" a fucking bastard cos I kept getting stuck in a corner and my magic wouldn't reach his fat head. Triumphed after a LOT of attempts.
    Wandered into Stonefang but that Spider fucked me over and I only get past the Beafeater fucker with the TNT barrels once every four attempts.
    Now in the Tower of Latria, I've fallen down the same fucking hole in the floor about 6 times, even when I remember to watch out, it moves, so I fall down it again, then get zapped by that creepy twathead and his green lightning of death.

If I hadn't got the Crescent Falchion +1, I'd be truly screwed but I've finally got a Heater Shield (upgraded to +7) so I've got some stability in my life. Not sure about my build either, but growing to appreciate the magic.

Cheers. I'm off to fall down my Latria hole again

Edit - can anyone tell me how the guy in the speedrun is getting such massive damage with his magic please? Are there any items I should be making a beeline for? I've got the Regenerators Ring and Cling Ring but my armour is shit (wizards Set?) and the head circlet thing always needs loads spending on repairs, Any advice cheerfully accepted

Edited by Lotos8ter at 11:27:52 03-11-2012

Fiat Lux

• Dangerous_Dan 5 Nov 2012 06:58:26 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A good light armour is the leather one which can be bought in 4-1.
    Demon's Souls is much more unforgiving. Level up wisely and use the appropriate weapons. The crescent weapon should be good enough to clear all x-1 levels. The spider can be killed if you learn the pattern. You can reduce the fire damage by the water veil spell which you can buy in the nexus - quite helpful with the spider. You can kill the adjudicator on the ground level, if you get down there then it's quite easy, circle him from left to right and back to avoid his cleaver swings and hit him where he's already hurting.
  • Lotos8ter 5 Nov 2012 07:25:10 2,365 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers Dan - its starting to come together. Got my Crescent kilij +3 and a Long Bow +4 so dealt with the Tower Knight and Spider. Had a nasty shock in 3-2 with the man slugs corroding all my gear, cost 20k to repair which is a lot on NG but got back eventually. I'm leaving World 3 for now, finding it a real struggle. I think I'll concentrate on world 4 for now.

Fiat Lux

• quadfather 5 Nov 2012 08:38:40 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    World 3 has lots of items and key npcs but it can be a twat. World 4 is good, but its also as hard until you learn it. Especially 4.2. Is recommend world 2 to be honest with an upgraded winged spear for the standard mobs. You can spend ages there getting it all sorted with your gear. Use bows on the minister's. Magic is overpowered I find in demons. That speedrun guy was pumping his magic stat which greatly improves magic damage. I'd go end and vit and then either str or dex. The scaling is more prominent in demons. Crescent is ok in conjunction with magic but there's loads more decent stuff later. Especially when you've unlocked the second blacksmith

• quadfather 5 Nov 2012 08:40:31 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Theres 2 sets of good armour in 1-1, but you need white world tendency for a gate to open to get them

• Dangerous_Dan 5 Nov 2012 08:47:38 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As for me, world 3 is filled with great dark atmosphere, especially 3-2 is a sight to behold. The boss in 3-2 is one of the most difficult - I'd try the other areas first. If you want some assistance you can add me id_= LilithsBreath.
  • quadfather 5 Nov 2012 08:52:02 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    World 3 is my favourite and 3-2 is my favourite level of all :)

Stick me on the helpers list too - quaddy456

• Lotos8ter 5 Nov 2012 09:22:12 2,365 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers - will do. I seem to have found the farming spot in 4-2, so I'm sticking here for a while. I'm not at the stage where I can appreciate 3-2 yet, spending 20k on full repairs to my Gloom armour was a bitter pill, but at least I know better for next time.

I'm sort of getting the drift about WT but not at the stage where I'm doing anything about it. I might go for PBWT on 4-2 to try and get a darkmoonstone slab/pure but that can wait. Stuff's hard enough to kill at the moment.

I stuck my head in World 5 but thought, "Fuck this, its like an ugly Blightown" so I'm leaving that a while. After a bit of farming I think I'll try and complete 2 and 4 and then take it from there.

Bit good this but taken me a long time to appreciate. Seems harder than DkS to me too

Fiat Lux

• FanBoysSuck 5 Nov 2012 09:22:55 1,535 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah world 3 was very cool, the man eaters were one of the easiest bosses for my dex build. Then again different builds gave different challenges!

Flame lurker is the toughest boss in the whole game IMO.

I'll have to agree on this being tougher than dark as well. I went back to demon's after dark to try the recommended royal build in the guide (first run was with a knight. That was a learning curve and a half. Damn you box art!) and it kicks your ass a lot harder. It also gives you less hints such as saving souls to make weapons. Ah and the lack of any checkpoints what so ever. Short cuts here and there but no well placed bonfires for you sir!

Edit:spelling and extra paragraph.

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 09:30:29 05-11-2012

For the emperor!

• quadfather 5 Nov 2012 09:43:07 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    Cheers - will do. I seem to have found the farming spot in 4-2, so I'm sticking here for a while. I'm not at the stage where I can appreciate 3-2 yet, spending 20k on full repairs to my Gloom armour was a bitter pill, but at least I know better for next time.

I'm sort of getting the drift about WT but not at the stage where I'm doing anything about it. I might go for PBWT on 4-2 to try and get a darkmoonstone slab/pure but that can wait. Stuff's hard enough to kill at the moment.

I stuck my head in World 5 but thought, "Fuck this, its like an ugly Blightown" so I'm leaving that a while. After a bit of farming I think I'll try and complete 2 and 4 and then take it from there.

Bit good this but taken me a long time to appreciate. Seems harder than DkS to me too
    If you're comfortable in 4-2 farming, then I'd definitely recommend staying there. If you picked up the avarice ring from 3-2 when you were there, then all the more better.

there's an awesome farming run in 4-2 you can do - start, jump down and turn round (take a manta out if you want), then get a bow out and snipe the reaper on the floor below. That'll take out all the shadowlurkers and 9 times out of 10 get you a darkmoonstone from the dead reaper. Fall down, pick up loot then go outside the 'back'. lure the 3 silver skelly's out/snipe, then evacuate back to the nexus

Forgot you need the evacuate spell for this - 20k, but you'll make up the money in no time (ala 20k dark souls forest crest door)

lol at world 5 impression - Blighttown has nothing on world 5 :)

General rule of thumb with tendency - when you beat a boss, you'll go to human form - to avoid unnecessarily affecting tendency after that - go and suicide in the nexus. Then it won't matter if you die in a world in soul form - this won't affect tendency. You'll really need to read up on the whole thing and the offline/online part of world tendency if you want to get all the details/items/areas unlocked

• quadfather 5 Nov 2012 10:06:41 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    make sure you get the hiltless sword from 4-2 as well, if you're a dex build. Good starting damage and scales b with dex

In fact, what kind of build are you?

• Lotos8ter 5 Nov 2012 12:18:01 2,365 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm more Mage this time, started as Royalty i think. From the top of my head

VIT 18, END 15, INT 24, MAGIC 36, STR 15, DEX 12 (others as starting)

Using a mix of Gloom and (cheers Dan) Leather Armour, Crescent Kilij +3, Heater Shield +7.

I'm kind of doing that run you suggested but I have Warding, so i take on the red eye knight behind the secret door near the reaper and then hoof it back along the cliff back to the bonfire. i have evacuate in case of emergencies.

I missed the ring of avarice (bugger) but I want to go back to 3-2 soon as i really want the homing crystal spell. I've hit a bit of a brick wall with the laser beam ghosts on 4-2, I need some proper magic defense or change my technique or both. I also fancy a crack at 2-2 but might wait until I've got my magic balls.

/cracking game Gromit

Fiat Lux

• quadfather 5 Nov 2012 12:38:37 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Lotos8ter - gah, you're making me want to replay it again now :)

Cool - the red eyed skelly will give you more souls.
    As there's no bonfires, I use evacuate as a farming tool, same way as homeward bone I guess.

Looks like you'll be doing some fairly serious damage with spells with your stats. The avarice ring is in the centre where that massive heart thing is - you'll need to chop the chains in both areas to access the middle part

You'll need to do 3-3 if you want to use the homing soul arrow. I hate that guy.

You can roll through the beams in 4-2, but it's risky unless you're timing it perfectly. It's far easier with a magic defense shield. Such as the dark silver shield. But you need 5-3 for that. Or you could use the rune shield, but again, it's back to 3-2 for that :p

2-2 is always worth doing for the items and the 2nd blacksmith. Twat of a boss though :)

• quadfather 5 Nov 2012 12:39:28 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just watching a walkthrough of 4-2. Christ, I forgot how hard it is. No bonfires, monsters hit for more, you seem to do less damage.

can't wait :)

• Lotos8ter 5 Nov 2012 12:47:35 2,365 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather ah cheers, looks like 3-2 might be in order then. At least I'm better prepared. I'll make sure I take an Ed's grindstone this time and a cheap set of armour. Having my weapon broken completely shafted me - I was doing next to no damage, couldn't kill anything to get souls so couldn't afford repairs. Nasty.

Fiat Lux

• quadfather 5 Nov 2012 12:51:32 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Lotos8ter - Aye, it's a bastard isn't it. Probably worth taking two sets of armour and 2 weapons too, just in case.

Ah, just watched a guy get past those laser shadowlurkers with no special shield at all - obviously spoilery - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=5oBq0ef2V7Y&NR=1

If you're magic based, which it looks like you are, it might be worth just focussing on world 3 till it's all done - you'll get a ton of items and access to some serious spells. Then maybe 2-x to unlock the 2nd blacksmith to progress even further, gear wise

• Lotos8ter 5 Nov 2012 15:08:15 2,365 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather - good video cheers, until he got panic lost with all the slugs - I bet they fuck your gear up too. :cry:
    I'll try that technique for the lasers and I've got that shield if it doesn't work with mine.

Happy days

Fiat Lux

• quadfather 5 Nov 2012 15:47:27 13,204 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What's the worse that can happen?

:)

• JetSetWilly 5 Nov 2012 20:05:07 5,721 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got stuck at the laser Shadowlurkers initially but they can actually be got past quite easily.

For the first set, as soon as you step onto the narrow walkway the first Reaper is actually directly below you and to the right. If you faff with the camera you can just make him out. If you have some Soul Remains chuck them down just in front of him and he'll swing at them and fall to his death :D. It might take a couple of throws to get him to swing at the right spot to fall. The next Reaper you can just sprint past, he won't follow you down the stairs and outside.

Possibly a bit cheap but it worked for me. I also found it useful in tight spots like this to play offline and use a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes for the extra HP.

Edited by JetSetWilly at 22:01:05 05-11-2012
  • onestepfromlost 5 Nov 2012 21:29:40 2,109 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So can you still pvp and change tendancy? didnt they switch the servers off which would prevent this? or are they still on ?
  • Lotos8ter 6 Nov 2012 07:47:36 2,365 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a good night on this. Stayed in 4-2 and eventually had a good run, standing right next to the laser things as in the video is a good tip. Got to 4-3 and did the boss, lost 28k souls at one point from choosing a crap place to stand. On 3/4th attempt, once the boss fight proper started, I did fine.

Wandered into 2-2 and got completely lost in the tunnels. Ended up at a fog door and toe to toe with Flamelurker. I didn't have any problems as a Mage, except when i got stuck on a piece of scenery but triumphed thanks to Soul Ray. Going to go back into 2-2 and clean up some items as I'm sure there's loads I missed then prob try 3-2 again.

Fantastic game this

Fiat Lux

• Page

of 507 First / Last