Berlin Berlin! Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • FWB 16 Aug 2011 21:53:21 41,948 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Best educational site IMHO is the Stasi Prison. Note that's the prison NOT the museum, which is also alright, but not as good. Go on one of the tours by one of the former inmates. Pretty powerful stuff.

As for nighttime antics... tons of bars. Just google a few.
  • Deleted user 16 August 2011 21:57:47
    Stay in the cheapest place possible, you won't be in much :D
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Oct 2011 22:36:46 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am off to Berlin at the end of October/early November and would love some recommendations for clubs/rock clubs/sights etc...

Any help very much appreciated! :)
  • FWB 9 Oct 2011 22:37:41 41,948 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Best educational site IMHO is the Stasi Prison. Note that's the prison NOT the museum, which is also alright, but not as good. Go on one of the tours by one of the former inmates. Pretty powerful stuff.

As for nighttime antics... tons of bars. Just google a few.
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Oct 2011 22:43:12 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've done loads of googling but get hundreds of suggestions. It's hard to tell which to go for, plus some of the ones that crop up have shut.

Wondered if the folks here had personally tried any or heard of any in particular worth trying as I know the general taste here is pretty good...
  • FWB 9 Oct 2011 22:47:00 41,948 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Warschauerstrasse area to Schlesisches Tor is good for student-esque bars. Variety of places with interesting decor.
  • RobTheBuilder 9 Oct 2011 22:49:33 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Excellent. I'm looking at spending a week down the road from Warschauerstrasse. Cheers.
  • gammonbanter 8 May 2012 21:18:58 1,415 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right, same request as all above. Going on early Friday evening, returning Sunday night. I need;

- Cool Clubs (trying to avoid commercial places is possible)
    - Arcades
    - If no club recommendations then maybe just the district to aim for.

I'm staying in Mehringdamm.

Yes it is a stag do, but we are discerning gents and will not be fighting/puking/hitting prostitutes.
  • mal 8 May 2012 22:36:00 21,958 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apparently...

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• jonsaan 8 May 2012 22:40:34 25,251 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I heartily recommend Fat Tyre Bike tours. Massively good fun and a great way to see the city. Top top laugh.

Edited by jonsaan at 22:41:10 08-05-2012

FCUTA!

• pinebear 8 May 2012 23:12:28 8,565 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Apparently...
    For some strange reason that link didn't resolve properly and so I thought the 404 was a sort of private joke between craigy and mouse. And I was scared.

That website is gold, though. Especially the lucky golden swearing gnome.

• thefilthandthefury 27 May 2012 20:39:13 24,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm going to Berlin for the first time in July and was wondering if Mitte would be a good place to stay or not. It seems to be around a lot of the sites and whatnot and I've found a cracking hotel deal. Seems quite fancy round there, which isn't really my cup of tea, but I'd just be using it as a base to head out and see stuff anyway!
  • Khari 27 May 2012 21:05:34 4 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My brother used to live in Mitte so I know it well. It has a Covent Garden vibe and, yes, I'd recommend it for site-seeing.

Being right in the center of Berlin it's near a lot of tourist spots. And you can easily head further out east or west on the U Bahn or S Bahn. Get a 7-Tage-Karte (same as Travelcard in London) and you're sorted.

If the weather's good I'd recommend going on a couple of walking tours (New Berlin and Berlin Walks are both very good). I've been all round Berlin guided and unguided, and the tours there were excellent. Worth a tenner.

Oh and if you're in the neighbourhood grab some Canadian Pizza from Ron Telesky's in Kreuzberg. Some nicest pizza I've ever eaten. They sell by the slice. Very informal, great for lunch. And if you like fondue Ars Vini has a couple of restaurants around town and is fantastic.

ETA: I'd also recommend grabbing breakfast out - away from your hotel - most days. Berliners are all about big breakfasts out and as a tourist it really sets you up for the day. You'll get a much better breakfast out than you will from the hotel. Having breakfast in the revolving cafe at the top of the Fernsehturm (TV tower) is a bit pricier than most places and the food isn't as good as most breakfast cafes, but makes the most of the amazing view.

Edited by Khari at 21:15:41 27-05-2012
  • gammonbanter 27 May 2012 21:29:09 1,415 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can say now try Ahmeds kebabs and curry 36 for great fast food and they're next to each other which is good. Honestly, great food, beer and people - you will hardly be in your hotel at all, good that you got a good deal though.
  • thefilthandthefury 27 May 2012 22:11:19 24,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah great, thanks! (to both of you, actually!) I think I'll go ahead and book it then - seems like one of the best locations to set up. I'll be there for eight days so will have plenty to do!
  • RobTheBuilder 17 Jun 2012 01:33:38 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved Berlin so much I am planning to go back!
    An amazing city, and if anyone else reads this thread I have to 100% recommend the Nhow hotel in Stralauer Allee. It is mad but brilliant.

Are there any EG'ers over there?
  • thefilthandthefury 11 Jul 2012 07:53:24 24,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, uhh, for Berlin... does anyone know what kind of pass I need for the trains/bus/etc? There seems to be nine billion different ones. I'd like the one that covers everything and allows me to get into the museums as well, but that seems to only be for three days... I'm going to be there for eight days! A week long one would do me though.
  • Silvermoth 29 Jul 2012 08:20:02 46 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Berlin is awesome. If you feel like it, read Christopher Isherwood's Goodbye to Berlin. It's a perfect book about pre World War II Berlin which really captures the feel of modern Berlin somehow.
  • Load_2.0 29 Jul 2012 09:53:52 18,196 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    So, uhh, for Berlin... does anyone know what kind of pass I need for the trains/bus/etc? There seems to be nine billion different ones. I'd like the one that covers everything and allows me to get into the museums as well, but that seems to only be for three days... I'm going to be there for eight days! A week long one would do me though.
    Go to Ostbahnhof and get a Z1 pass but with a additional S-Bahn pass, though make sure they do not exclude the Warschauer Strasse lines and ensure it inludes the travel between 9-8pm Alexanderplatz lines add on which is an extra 4 euro's if purchased on Tuesday.

Get the X9 extension so that you can both sit and stand on the train (or carry live stock if required) with the opt out for Brandenburg.

And finally make certain you get both the yellow and red versions of the Theodor-Heuss-Platz extension otherwise you have to wear a hat on all trains before midday.
  • BillMurray 1 Mar 2013 14:47:29 7,235 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone heard about this?

Berlin Wall to be torn down for luxury flats

Absolutely ridiculous.
  • RobTheBuilder 1 Mar 2013 16:23:15 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @BillMurray It's unbelievable. An absolutely insane decision. It's not like there isn't a shit load of room behind the wall for flats.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next