Berlin Berlin!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Red-Moose 8 Oct 2008 02:09:40 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Going tomorrow,

I am going to have some fucking good fun.

That is all.

• FWB 8 Oct 2008 02:14:03 45,650 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Awesome city. If I'm going nowhere this time next year that's where I'll be moving to.
  • ecu 8 Oct 2008 04:13:59 77,338 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Berlin is brilliant, I've been a couple of times, and I'll likely go there again.
  • lost_soul 8 Oct 2008 05:42:34 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been living in Berlin for the past 3 months and it's a fantastic place; shame I'm not here permanently :-(
  • MrSpew 9 Oct 2008 01:53:59 970 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doing what? I'd like to live in Berlin.
  • naturalfishfluid 13 Oct 2008 17:25:18 9 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why Berlin, doing what?
  • roderick 13 Oct 2008 19:45:04 22 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    My grandfather died at Auschwitz.

He fell out of a watchtower!

:)
  • Red-Moose 13 Oct 2008 23:20:49 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    naturalfishfluid wrote:
    Why Berlin, doing what?

I'm just back. Here is a brief rundown:

1. Berlin has loads of history, but surprisingly very little to see there (Brandenburg Gate, etc., of course several major sights). It is no Vienna.

2. The people are in some type of alernate reality to the rest of the planet. They are the nicest, friendliest, most open urban people I've ever met, and I spoke with hundreds, because I spent most of the time going home at 8am. They have got no ill will, no anger towards anything, so matter how hammered drunk you are.

3. There is always, always, a choice of loads of different bars and clubs. it is indescribable. 6am, I ask some girls, are there any places open to get some drinks and they list aroudn 10 with a 5-10min cab ride. This isn't just fri or sat, Suddenly across the street in what previously looked like an apartment block, at 2am, there was a packed jazz fusion club.

4. That's when I realised that really, Berlin is about the people that inhabit it, and not the city itself. There is zero pretentiousness, ostentaciousness, etc., yet it is a vast city. It's not Germany and it certainly doesn't feel like elsewhere, I'd happily go back tomorrow and just relax, yet it doesn't even stereotypically for many cities have a "cafe" culture, or anything specific culture because there is just so fucking much people culture there.

5. It does require you to be pretty chatty and open. I would think it might be quite boring (looking for e.g., unless you hit the town, the bars and clubs, museums, everywhere, and talk to random people. No-one dismisses anybody.
  • the_dudefather 20 May 2010 10:56:30 9,418 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    *bump*

Heading to Berlin on Sunday for a few days, anyone got any other tips/suggestions?

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 20 May 2010 11:06:56
    SNAX mind you don't slip on the cum
  • Luckyjim 20 May 2010 11:10:22 2,874 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great city. I'd highly recommend the Bauhaus Archive, if that's your thing.
  • MrMcStyles , Gamer Network 20 May 2010 11:23:26 56 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I spent last weekend there and loved it.

Rent bikes and get a map, it's a really easy/cheap way to see the city.

The Trabi safari was fun, www.trabi-safari.de - not the most informative tour but cool if you like driving strange old cars (they don't even ask to see a driving licence!)

Bar 25 and Watergate were both pretty cool, Magnet was fun if a little naff! Worth noting that some of the clubs are hard to get into if you aren't with any females.

We went to really nice backstreet bar/restaurant called the Bird, amazing steaks - http://www.thebirdinberlin.com/ The staff are an eclectic group from around the world and are all super friendly. I'd highly recommend checking it out.

As Red Moose said, speak to people when you are there. People were so friendly and happy chat.
  • gang_of_bitches 20 May 2010 11:23:33 5,644 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have a great time. I went in January when it was -15, so determined to go again when being out after dark doesn't give frostbite.

The Stasi Prison was really interesting and I'd recommend you go when there's an English language guided tour on (unless your Geman is much better than mine), had a great sinister cold war feel to it.

As lucklim said the Bauhaus Archiv is great if your into that kind of thing.

A trip to the top of the TV tower in Alexanderplatz is also well worth it, though whatever you do don't have a meal there the food's rank, just have a coffee or something and enjoy seeing the city rotate below you.

One place I really wouldn't suggest going to is Checkpoint Charlie, it's really just a tacky tourist trap.

There is of course loads more to do besides the above such as the Reichstag, but fitting everything is a bit tricky, especially if your hotel is in the West of the city and thing you want to see are in the East, there's still a bit of an infrastructure gap where the wall was.

Also have the Currywurst at least once, I got quite addicted to it despite it clearly being terrible.
  • BillMurray 21 May 2010 10:02:17 7,916 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've only spent 1 night in Berlin but I had a fantastic time attending a gig with a couple of bands at a huge communal squat. It's a shame we didn't get to stick around very long and see the sights. It was February and bloody freezing though.
  • the_dudefather 21 May 2010 18:53:42 9,418 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bump while I'm packing :)

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Fizzog 22 May 2010 01:26:39 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's it like for simpletons like myself who are only capable of speaking English?

Would being unable to speak a single word of German be a massive problem?
  • Red-Moose 22 May 2010 01:34:14 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    German is only useful in Berlin if you are trying to blend in as a local so you can get into Watergate by being able to chat abotu whatever useless/awesome DJ is going to play that night.
  • Dirtbox 22 May 2010 01:40:41 79,216 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Big love for Berlin. Don't expect to see many hotties though, the eastern european gene is strong there.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Red-Moose 22 May 2010 01:42:42 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    hooters in tiergarten?

No hotties? eastern europe look is strong and is a BAD thing???!?!!!!?!

madness!
  • Fizzog 22 May 2010 01:43:10 4,108 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Big love for Berlin. Don't expect to see many hotties though, the eastern european gene is strong there.

WHAT?!

Eastern europe produces some of the most beautiful women in the world.
  • Deleted user 22 May 2010 01:43:38
    God damn berlin is awesome, take a camera and have a go on the polish.
  • Dirtbox 22 May 2010 01:47:53 79,216 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fizzog wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

WHAT?!

Eastern europe produces some of the most beautiful women in the world.
    You heard.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Benno 22 May 2010 01:50:23 10,268 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    from what I have seen, eastern european women are very attractive

most women are, its only in england they're generally fat sweaty mingers
  • Benno 22 May 2010 01:50:47 10,268 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    all this generalisation is making me tired, i am off to bed
  • lost_soul 22 May 2010 06:59:04 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Go for a walk along Oranienburger Strasse and night and see the prostitutes in ridiculous high heels and impossibly tight corsets.

And not being able to speak German is not a problem at all in Berlin.
  • Jeepers 11 Dec 2010 22:40:54 13,316 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another bump.

What's the current situation with smoking in Berlin? I see that the law was due to be updated in 2009, but can't find a decent, up-to-date statement of where the city stands.

Any Berliners help me out here? Ta!
  • Axarcrie 12 Dec 2010 12:31:58 22 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, when I went to Berlin back in March, the only problem ws the amount of cigarette butts everywhere, so kinda indicates smoking in public is fine, but I'm not sure if it's changed or not. Don't think it has, though.
  • jonsaan 16 Aug 2011 21:49:09 25,440 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So EGamers. I have to organise a stag do in Berlin. We are staying in the Hackesche Hofe (or something). What can I do. 6 people. I have found some Fat Bike tours of the city which sound fun for the daytime but I want a beer emporium or similar close by for nighttime boozing.

FCUTA!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous