Goodbye to Pizza Hut? Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • otto Moderator 7 Oct 2008 17:50:13 49,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pizza Hut... omg... never!

True story: my brother-in-law was once a rather senior figure in the parent company which owned Pizza Hut and KFC, and responsible for their buying policy. He *never* ate there, and after what he told me about where they source their chicken and cheese, neither do I. :/

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Deleted user 7 October 2008 17:58:10
    Bill Door wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Best pizza for me outside of Italy are either the one in Muswell Hill, La Porchetta, which is ridiculously busy all the time, or Marine Ices in Chalk Farm.

There's several La Porchettas around, and they're not as cheap as they used to be around 10/15 years ago.

I went to the pizza hut in cambridge the other week and I don't think it had been redecorated since Harry and I went there as students in the mid 90's. It's okay for what it is, which is essentially fast food, much in the way KFC and McDonalds are. I can get a gourmet burger at a local restaurant if I want to, and I can get a nice pizza at our local italian restaurant but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for crappy fast food outlets.

And all this "proper pizza made by italians" snobbery- is it not possible for an italian to make shit food all of a sudden???

Apparently this one's solo, the others share the same name - there's one in Chalk Farm which is pretty good but when you're a stones throw from Marine Ices then why bother? :p

As for it not being cheap as 10/15 years ago, I'm hard pressed to think of any resteraunt that was.

About Italians, their food outside of Italy generally tends to be shit. I was with an Italian girl for six years and we never once found an Italian resteraunt outside of the odd pizzeria to satisfy our cravings that was anywhere near as good as one in Italy. Because, in her words, Italians outside of Italy are penny pinching bastards.

You can eat like a king on the cheap in some really great places in Italy, often the most unassuming Pizzeria would provide palatable, huge pizzas for very little, er, dough. And if you ever go to a pub there, forget eating a burger and chips - it'll be shit. Massive dishes of pasta is where its at.
  • oceanmotion 7 Oct 2008 18:04:27 16,092 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    I sometimes go for a Pizzahut, but it's like most fast food. It's a fantastic idea right up to after you finish eating it when you realise its just tasteless stodge.

+1 and you feel like shit too.

Do tell Otto.

I'm not surprised with the cheese, looks horrific and really doesn't taste of anything. Stuffed crust is like a preview of your arteries if you continue eating crap.

Only had one KFC after a rough night and ate practically nothing, not even the chips. Vile food.

It's amazing people pay 20+ for 2 Domino's pizzas. Crazy. Only time I go for it is with a healthy voucher code.
  • otto Moderator 7 Oct 2008 18:05:40 49,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aspic wrote:
    Where do/did they source it then?
    I can't really go into details, but in short, wherever it was cheapest and if that meant buying from a country with a more relaxed view of food hygiene well so be it.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Khanivor 7 Oct 2008 18:16:37 41,123 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pizza Hut is gash and a fucking rip-off. There's a local pizzeria just down the road where I get my lunch just about every Friday, (with a side of wings and ranch) and while it's not the best it's locally owned so my money isn't going to some corporate behemoth to be spent on marketing and rebranding. It also costs about a third of the price.

The best pizzas outside of Italy are in New York, and it's a very close run thing between the two.
  • complexion 7 Oct 2008 18:20:18 12 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pizza Hut is a major rip off but I grew up going to birthdays parties there and its just not gonna be the same calling it Pasta Hut??
  • Pirotic Moderator 7 Oct 2008 18:42:53 20,648 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    anybody made a f-hut-a joke yet?
  • Deleted user 7 October 2008 19:17:10
    Khanivor wrote:
    Pizza Hut is gash and a fucking rip-off. There's a local pizzeria just down the road where I get my lunch just about every Friday, (with a side of wings and ranch) and while it's not the best it's locally owned so my money isn't going to some corporate behemoth to be spent on marketing and rebranding. It also costs about a third of the price.

The best pizzas outside of Italy are in New York, and it's a very close run thing between the two.

Yeah, well, when I get there eventually we'll see. ;-) I keep hearing about New York pizza's being the bee's knee's but compared to the stuff I've had in Italy absolutely nothing beats it.
  • Load_2.0 7 Oct 2008 19:35:00 19,526 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Load "$" wrote:
    Yeah, Um not to cast dispersions... but I cant really see the average pizza hut visitor asking for a prawn and crayfish arrabiata.
    It's nasturtiums fool!

Ugh, I see. Aspersions.

Too-shey.
  • Whatsfor 7 Oct 2008 19:48:24 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    I presume this is because they're being slaughtered by Domino's.

Agreed, New Domino's recently opened near me and we ordered some chicken strips and a pepperoni passion. They forgot the chicken strips on the delivery so they added 3 free portions, one for each of my next three orders to the account. To follow on from that they sent a generic letter apologising and offering a free large pizza!

Huzzar!!!
  • Shinji 7 Oct 2008 23:21:47 5,903 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went for a meal with a fairly large group of people, some of whom didn't know each other very well, earlier this year. On the way into the restaurant (which wasn't great, but that's another story) one guy who had been quiet all the way there spotted a Pizza Hut across the road, and got VERY excited - wondering if he should bail out and just go there, or if he should come back there the following morning for an early lunch.

He then explained to the dumbstruck crowd that his hobby is visiting Pizza Huts around the UK, and he's never been to that one, but he went to 60-odd different ones last year. He was totally sincere.

Cue a hilarious shuffle at the door to the restaurant we were entering as everyone desperately tried to ensure they wouldn't end up sat next to the fucking loon...
  • gohda 7 Oct 2008 23:26:26 6,642 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, Pizza Hut is really nice until the last few slices.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2008 23:32:19
    Do you remember when Pizza Huts were actual little huts? Ah, those were the days...
  • Petrarch 7 Oct 2008 23:34:17 3,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ever tried the Chicago stuffed and deep pan pizza? By god those things are incredible.
  • terminalterror 7 Oct 2008 23:40:48 18,937 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shinji wrote:
    I went for a meal with a fairly large group of people, some of whom didn't know each other very well, earlier this year. On the way into the restaurant (which wasn't great, but that's another story) one guy who had been quiet all the way there spotted a Pizza Hut across the road, and got VERY excited - wondering if he should bail out and just go there, or if he should come back there the following morning for an early lunch.

He then explained to the dumbstruck crowd that his hobby is visiting Pizza Huts around the UK, and he's never been to that one, but he went to 60-odd different ones last year. He was totally sincere.

Cue a hilarious shuffle at the door to the restaurant we were entering as everyone desperately tried to ensure they wouldn't end up sat next to the fucking loon...

o_O
  • Whatsfor 9 Oct 2008 19:37:04 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Do you remember when Pizza Huts were actual little huts? Ah, those were the days...

you should see the Pizza Hut in Stirling. Many years ago it was a purpose built Bella Pasta so its got a rural mini mediteranian villa like appearance with a red Pizza hut roof stuffed on top of it.

I'm sure Shinji's pal would appreciate it...
  • PinkSpider 9 Oct 2008 20:23:04 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    Gremmi wrote:
    I presume this is because they're being slaughtered by Domino's.

Agreed, New Domino's recently opened near me and we ordered some chicken strips and a pepperoni passion. They forgot the chicken strips on the delivery so they added 3 free portions, one for each of my next three orders to the account. To follow on from that they sent a generic letter apologising and offering a free large pizza!

Huzzar!!!
    They once brought the wrong pizza for a mate of mine. Subsequently came back with not just the pizza but garlic bread and chips.

Also; when we lived down a small terrace it was ace when they did the freeness after so long deal.

Good times.
  • johnlenham 9 Oct 2008 22:03:18 4,000 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Havent had a pizza hut in years, if I do want pizza I get the 3 something something perperoini pizzas in Iceland, there huge and generaly taste pretty good for the price.. then again saying that I ate a 75p pizza for dinner so er yeah im into high class food.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2008 22:05:22
    Not sure if someone has already said it but....

This was all a big PR ploy, Pizza Hut is not changing its name to Pasta Hut ;)
  • ecu 9 Oct 2008 22:06:56 77,235 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's quite bizarre.

On April 1, 2008, Pizza Hut sent emails to customers advertising that they now offer pasta items on their menu. The email (and similar advertising on the company's website) stated "Pasta so good we've changed our name to 'Pasta Hut'." The name change was a publicity stunt held in conjunction with April Fools' Day, extending through the month of April, with the company's Dallas headquarters changing its exterior logo to Pasta Hut.[16] This name change was also used to promote the new Tuscani Pasta line and new Pizza Hut dine-in menu. The First Pasta Hut Ad has the Original Pizza Hut restaurant being imploded and recreated, but when they construct the new building, the sign saying "Pasta Hut" is placed on the building. Pasta Hut is now part of the Pizza Hut menu.

On October 6, 2008 Pizza Hut UK revealed that it would temporarily re-brand 30 of its stores 'Pasta Hut' as part of an 18 million move to attract new customers and to move more upmarket.
  • PinkSpider 9 Oct 2008 22:13:58 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    johnlenham wrote:
    Havent had a pizza hut in years, if I do want pizza I get the 3 something something perperoini pizzas in Iceland, there huge and generaly taste pretty good for the price.. then again saying that I ate a 75p pizza for dinner so er yeah im into high class food.
    Those chicago town (?) take away type pizzas in the fake takeaway boxes were the king of frozen pizzas for me.

Good days.

/misses proper pizza.
  • Vegito 10 Oct 2008 00:04:25 16 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I noticed before that they seemed to serve a lot of pasta at their buffets
  • otto Moderator 10 Oct 2008 07:16:13 49,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well it worked in that it got us all talking about it.

Mind you, we're all slagging it off for being minging and poisonous.

So a mixed result.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• squirrel.kisses 10 Oct 2008 21:54:46 274 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PinkSpider wrote:

Those chicago town (?) take away type pizzas in the fake takeaway boxes were the king of frozen pizzas for me.

Hehe deep dish pizzas?
    Or well, do you recall the brand?
  • PinkSpider 10 Oct 2008 21:58:51 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /is confused.
    /they were deep dish.
    /hasent been to the pizza section for two years as is a vegan.
    /fails.
  • Gradius 11 Oct 2008 00:56:16 2,305 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I never liked Pizza Hut. I can make nicer Pizza at home than the sloppy crap they serve up. Dominos is the only Pizza worth paying 15 for.
  • Anthony_UK 11 Oct 2008 02:58:39 2,542 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd rather have a Asda pizza, the one's were you say what topping's you want, to either Domino's or Pizza Hut.

There not the most authentic of Pizza's, but there piled high with topping's and taste f'in great!

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next