Countdown to Unemployment thread Page 4

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 11 Feb 2009 14:34:31 25,662 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think you need to do it for NI contributions or you get bummed when you do need money.

"Computer says there's a problem with your National Insurance contributions. Hmm, hang on a minute, I'll just get Bane."

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• StarchildHypocrethes 11 Feb 2009 14:36:02 26,631 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Amazing that some people only get 45 a week, yet my mate managed to get the full amount of rent paid for on his house for 9 months, plus all of his credit card debts cancelled, plus that amount (and a bit extra towards household bills) when he lost his job that he'd had for a fortnight (and then quit)
    45, or whatever the exact figure is, is all that you get for Job Seekers Allowance. Rents payments etc are all different parts that need to be arranged independently to that.
  • MrSensible 11 Feb 2009 14:37:26 25,392 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Amazing that some people only get 45 a week, yet my mate managed to get the full amount of rent paid for on his house for 9 months, plus all of his credit card debts cancelled, plus that amount (and a bit extra towards household bills) when he lost his job that he'd had for a fortnight (and then quit)

That has to be bollocks. They won't even give you dole for 13 weeks or so if you quit your job.

45 a week is the standard here, I don't know if it's different elsewhere (it will be in London, obviously). They're complete bastards about giving you housing benefit though. We're having to cook up a scam in order to get a penny out of them.

They also try not to give you the proper amount of dole money as well. They often under-pay my girlfriend then claim they've given her the full amount until she goes in with proof.
  • skuzzbag 11 Feb 2009 14:38:23 5,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was on income support 1991 to 1993 and it was 65 every two weeks. So it's only gone up 25 quid in 15 years? Wasn't dole 90 quid 15 years ago too?

I can't sign on at the moment because my wife earns too much. Although I am working for myself but that only makes pocket money as I'm too lazy to promote my business properly.
  • DaM 11 Feb 2009 15:16:18 13,538 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm sure I used to get almost 50 a week, and that was 10 years ago....
    But definitely do it for the NI stamps if nothing else. I got shafted for this reason last time I tried to sign on, I had a few weeks of stamps missing, which meant I got bugger all even thought I had been working full time for 2 years. It was so demoralising being told this, in front of all the shell suited knuckle dragging neds, strolling in to sign on, probably never worked a day in their lives.

I went down the "start your own business" route, which I recommend!
  • DaM 11 Feb 2009 15:17:34 13,538 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    I can't sign on at the moment because my wife earns too much. Although I am working for myself but that only makes pocket money as I'm too lazy to promote my business properly.

You need some promotional products, eg lanyards. Guaranteed to quadruple the profits of any business.
    Well mine at least.
  • MrSensible 11 Feb 2009 15:20:48 25,392 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I object to the fact that since my girlfriend lives with me they say we are essentially married and I have an obligation to provide for her. This means they won't give her any housing benefit now that she's lost her job (damn you Zavvi!).

Now don't get me wrong, I provide all the money I can, but it's not exactly easy to support two people on 7 an hour and what little dole money they will give her. I don't see how they can justify giving us fuck all. She's having to move back in with her parents if she doesn't have a job by next month.
  • twelveways 11 Feb 2009 15:25:11 4,199 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One of my workmates has just quit so there is a position of teacher available in Wuhan, China, starting asap if anyone is interested.... must be good with kids, pederasts considered but not preferred.

no experience or quals necessary but must be able to relocate to China :)
  • DaM 11 Feb 2009 15:33:22 13,538 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I object to the fact that since my girlfriend lives with me they say we are essentially married and I have an obligation to provide for her. This means they won't give her any housing benefit now that she's lost her job (damn you Zavvi!).

Now don't get me wrong, I provide all the money I can, but it's not exactly easy to support two people on 7 an hour and what little dole money they will give her. I don't see how they can justify giving us fuck all. She's having to move back in with her parents if she doesn't have a job by next month.

"Dump" her, move her into the cupboard in the hall, and charge her rent.

It is ridiculous. The people scamming the system seem to get around these rules but they get stuck to religiously for people not abusing the system, to their detriment. It's not like you are earning a bomb. Bet you blow a lot of it on imported American bacon though.

• MrSensible 11 Feb 2009 15:35:21 25,392 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, we're speaking to them next week as they didn't keep a log of us requesting it last time - we're just going to lie and say we're flat mates (not a couple) and that I sleep on the inflatable bed. The fact I have to lie is the worst part in all this.

But yes my 300 a week yankie bacon habit might have something to do with it.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Feb 2009 15:36:18 25,662 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Shit that's awful :( What a crappy system we have, how they expect people to live I'll never know. Hope things work out ok!

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• MrSensible 11 Feb 2009 15:39:06 25,392 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

Shit that's awful :( What a crappy system we have, how they expect people to live I'll never know. Hope things work out ok!

Thanks! It is ridiculous isn't it? I mean we genuinely need some help and she's genuinely looking for a job but they don't seem bothered about any of that.

She'll have to move out unless the trick I just mentioned a second ago works. Oh well, she'd only be moving ten minutes away and they'd have to give me housing benefit if I was on my own - I mean I'd be paying double the rent I am now, basically, which is impossible on my wages (which of course I won't have when my job ends next month).

I'll get the bastards yet!
  • DaM 11 Feb 2009 15:42:36 13,538 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They might come round to check if they think you are lying, so I would start wearing her clothes around town so you can explain those away if they burst in unannounced. Never fails.

• CosmicFuzz 11 Feb 2009 15:43:20 25,662 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds to me like they're the ones scamming US! Tight bastards!

• MrSensible 11 Feb 2009 15:47:43 25,392 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    They might come round to check if they think you are lying, so I would start wearing her clothes around town so you can explain those away if they burst in unannounced. Never fails.

:D

Well if we pretend to just be flat mates it simply requires me to leave the blow up bed in the corner of the living room. Sorted!
  • skuzzbag 11 Feb 2009 15:55:52 5,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    skuzzbag wrote:

You need some promotional products, eg lanyards. Guaranteed to quadruple the profits of any business.
    Well mine at least.

Well to be honest I know exactly what I need to do to get business. It's work my way around other businesses walking in and handing out flyers, business cards and asking to see someone appropriate to discuss how I can help them. However, the wife has decided we are to move house so it's largly pointless building up a proper client list.
  • guts 11 Feb 2009 16:20:35 1,690 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What do you do scuzzbag?
    We have had all overtime cut, and get time off in lieu of sat mornings work. Not so bad as I can now pick my daughter up from school once a week and take her to dancing which my parents used to do. missus is hopefully safe working for NHS but you never know.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• skuzzbag 11 Feb 2009 16:38:49 5,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I worked in IT for 10 years so it seemed at the time logical to continue in this field. However, I really can't be arsed as I'm just not interested in it anymore.

Depends what she does in the NHS to be honest. My wife is a mental health doctor and she's not safe as everything is contracted now. So possibly her nhs department could lose the contract and it would be given to the equivalent nhs department in the next county.

Bearing in mind she doesn't work for a private firm on contract she is actually employes by the nhs. If this ever happened the patients would be expected to travel 70 miles to get to the surgery in the next county for treatment.
  • DaM 11 Feb 2009 16:46:15 13,538 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Damn, I've been told my jobs on the line if I can't source 10,000 lanyards within the week :(

Well......

/sells franchise to skuzzbag

:)
  • DaM 11 Feb 2009 16:53:41 13,538 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have you not thought of making money from a website sb, either selling stuff or affiliate linking? IT skills required, but more interesting than doing stuff for other people. Some advice I got years ago and regret ignoring at the time, was to build websites for yourself that will make you money, rather than make money building them for other people.
  • guts 12 Feb 2009 18:52:08 1,690 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depends what she does in the NHS to be honest.

She was in recruitment, but she transferred to the Knowledge information centre (medical library). Recruitment was slimmed down a bit and she wanted a move anyway, due to a bit of personal friction with a couple of people there.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Deleted user 12 February 2009 20:23:19
    looks like I might be loosing my Job soon, I'd say it was 50/50 at the moment.. Im not that bothered tbh its a really shit job that I hate working and If I got the sack I think it would motivate me to find somthing better or work for myself.
  • Khanivor 12 Feb 2009 20:42:06 41,297 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago

Never say you're in a relationship with people you live with when claiming benefits!

And you like American bacon? Are you insane?
  • skuzzbag 12 Feb 2009 20:54:53 5,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think building a website for yourself that makes you money is easier said than done or everyone would be doing it. Coding isn't a problem but having the ideas certainly is!
  • Ged42 13 Feb 2009 08:53:39 7,812 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Waves from Unemploymentland...

Join us!
  • Venkman90 13 Feb 2009 09:04:42 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /doffs cap from self employed land

No! Join us
  • CosmicFuzz 13 Feb 2009 09:08:10 25,662 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rolls over and sleeps in Student Land

/snores

• MrSensible 13 Feb 2009 09:08:35 25,392 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:

Never say you're in a relationship with people you live with when claiming benefits!

And you like American bacon? Are you insane?

Well I know that now! Never had to claim benefits before so I had no idea they were such complete and utter arseholes. There was me thinking they'd be helpful!

And yeah I've been slated for the bacon for the past two weeks!

/gorges
  • Page

of 84 First / Last