Countdown to Unemployment thread Page 2

• Page

of 83 First / Last

• Psychotext 3 Oct 2008 16:34:32 53,939 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    So I think I can survive until the new year.

Not buying two more 360s might help with that :p
    They're not both for me you nutter. :p
  • Khanivor 3 Oct 2008 16:39:15 40,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    catterz wrote:
    Underneath the age of 25, the government only allow a housing benefit of 50 a week. Throw JSA on top and tell me if you could live off that.

Good thing drugs are illegal then

/taps nose

/moistens finger and dabs white flecks off desk
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Oct 2008 16:52:07 39,438 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    3, cause the company already went bust once this year.

How does that work then? How come you're still going if you've already gone bust?
    He works in a bank-type-thing.

Basically, they go bust = someone else buys them out :D

Right on the money! Pun intended :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• pacrifice 4 Oct 2008 09:26:03 1,070 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I fear for my job cause i'm only there as a temp! Temp contract expires first week in december. I think though cause it'll be run up to xmas, it's get busy, so they'll extend it again. It's only a matter of time. =(
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Kami 29 Nov 2008 02:31:30 2,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Resurrecting thread, lost my job this week. I've never really been that great at interviews or anything so I am at the current moment terrified. Possibly now a good time to look outside my field of expertise and find something a little more concrete in terms of skills, but my heart will always be in writing and I'd be terrified to have to take on a crappy job (which would probably pay better but I never wrote anything for the money anyway).

I knew it was coming, to be honest I saw it coming a while back and put a little aside to tide me over for a month or two without having to be too frugal. But hurts to finally be unemployed and know my prospects right now are pretty fucking bleak. Wish I'd had gone to Uni now, but I was young, reckless and stupid. You don't think about this crap at 18, you're too busy chasing skirt and clubbing and waking up wondering what the hell happened the night before.

Posssibly a good time to try and get my website running but I can't think fucking straight at the moment, and I just don't know what to do with the domain name. I've changed my idea a dozen times or more. May even sell it on if I can't think of something to do with it. Wonder if there's still a market for that.

And with all the budget crap and seeing big businesses go down the pan the past few days, I have to admit that I'm not certain I'll find a job that quickly anyway. I wonder if you can go back to college to train or go to uni again. I may need to find a shitty part-time job for it but if it means I end up with more under my belt, then I guess it's worth thinking about.

Sad thing is, I'm probably in a better position than some. I'm single, with no children and plenty of goods in my flat to possibly sell on and buy me some time to work out what to do next. I have no mortgage, very little debt (a few hundred quids worth but that's pretty minor stuff compared to the shit some people are in) and I'm thankfully not that stupid, and would be willing to learn a new skill.

I may be scared, but I can maybe take some comfort in the fact that there are people in a far, far, far worse situation than me...

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• asha 29 Nov 2008 02:49:58 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It looks like the threshers I work at is going to close soon, it wont effect me too much as I still live with my dad but I feel really sorry for the other people who work there who have rent and mortgage payments to pay. And just before xmas aswell :(

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Kami 29 Nov 2008 02:55:26 2,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Worst time for such economic crap. I guess it has to happen though, we have had years where people should have seen this coming. Now we'rre in a credit crunch and all people are doing is borrowing more...

What amazes me is the government thinks this is going to be fixed up by the second half of 2009. Come on, I'm hopeless at economics but it doesn't take a degree to see that is just completely unrealistic...

• Deleted user 29 November 2008 03:39:23
    I doubt I will loose my job any time soon.. Not that it would really bother me if I did, crap hours, crap pay, crap job.. loosing it would proberly be the push I need to get me into a better job.
  • ilmaestro 29 Nov 2008 04:43:14 32,407 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :( Desperate news Kami, hope something turns up.

• Fozzie_bear 29 Nov 2008 06:38:46 15,500 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kami wrote:
    What amazes me is the government thinks this is going to be fixed up by the second half of 2009.

To be fair to them I don't think they genuinely believe that everything's going to be fixed completely in the next 6 months by what's been done in the past few months. It's about reducing the impact I think.

Interest rate cuts, small cut in VAT (not allowed to go below 15% - EU member states aren't allowed to undercut each other with VAT), put some extra money into public projects: it might not work at all but it might make things a little better than they would have been than sitting round doing nothing. I'd sooner see the Govt try to help and fail than just sit back and take it.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Kami 29 Nov 2008 06:51:40 2,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd rather they prepared for the worst and then if it doesn't happen we can relax a bit. Don't particularly want to see us caught short if things get worse (which I fear they may do).

As for me, hunting around to see what I can sell my spare domain for. It's not really been used much, but if it's worth a few quid and I can't figure out what the fuck to do with it, meh. I just wish I had the imagination to figure out what to do with it. I'd love to get it running as a website and see if it can make some cash.

• DaM 29 Nov 2008 07:43:30 12,990 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kami wrote:
    I'd rather they prepared for the worst and then if it doesn't happen we can relax a bit. Don't particularly want to see us caught short if things get worse (which I fear they may do).

As for me, hunting around to see what I can sell my spare domain for. It's not really been used much, but if it's worth a few quid and I can't figure out what the fuck to do with it, meh. I just wish I had the imagination to figure out what to do with it. I'd love to get it running as a website and see if it can make some cash.

What's the URL Kami? Post it and see if we can come up with anything!

I have a few domains I would get up and running if I had the spare time.... I reckon I could be a millionaire if I could stop playing games, EGing etc and devote time to other stuff. And I'd have to lose the wife and kids too obviously.....

• Kami 29 Nov 2008 17:19:25 2,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The domain is officiallypwned.com

There's a few things I could do but as you said, it's about finding time isn't it? And when you're worn out and tired all the time it's increasingly hard to have the mindset, imagination or "can be arsed" attitude to get on with it...

• Salaman 29 Nov 2008 17:32:40 18,957 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    copy all of failblog's stuff and put your own stamp on it.
    It worked for ebaum, could work for you.

• Kami 2 Dec 2008 00:44:09 2,429 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not really what I want to do. I mean, I do WANT to do something with it, but wholesale stealing stuff would just bug me.

With the state the world is in, even the jobseekers place said finding a job could take considerable time. Obviously, time not a luxury I really have seeing as bills have to be paid, rent, food, phone etc. Finally think I'm realising that getting a website going is probably a sensible idea in the short term. It's just coming up with something good - and funny news, fail pics etc. are done to death...

Just bothering me a bit. Don't really want to make a topic about it. I'll have a look around the net for a few days, see if I can come up with any ideas.

• Load_2.0 2 Dec 2008 01:01:56 19,139 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, I am sans job come January. Managed to eek out a few more months but after that it's unemployed city.
  • Syrette 2 Dec 2008 01:09:00 43,293 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Worst time in a long time to be after a job. I can't get anything permanent at the moment, and that's not really a negative reflection on myself (I'm intelligent and have a reasonable amount of working experience).. the very few jobs that are going around here are understandably hotly contested.

That said I am annoyed that there are a good two shops that have opened recently out of nowhere, which I would have liked to have worked for, but for whom job advertising was on a very short time limit or never really existed. For instance a CEX has just opened here in the last week or so, I got an email from Monster telling me about positions going there, I check it the same day with the manager of said store, and he tell ms they're aren't any going! Cheers for that one Monster.

• johnlenham 17 Dec 2008 14:32:01 4,000 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just been made redundant. Off sick with the flu and I get a phone call from an unknown number "Oh hey its blah blah from job" Im thinking its to check im not skiving
    "Got some bad news your being made redundant along with a few others"

Lush. Worst possible time and I had a hard enough time getting a job 8 months ago, let alone now :(
  • Deleted user 17 December 2008 14:35:16
    :(
  • LockeTribal 17 Dec 2008 14:40:54 4,512 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • LeoliansBro 17 Dec 2008 14:48:22 43,796 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• cubbymoore 17 Dec 2008 14:49:53 36,483 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • Venkman90 17 Dec 2008 15:27:32 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Kami wrote:
    What amazes me is the government thinks this is going to be fixed up by the second half of 2009.

To be fair to them I don't think they genuinely believe that everything's going to be fixed completely in the next 6 months by what's been done in the past few months. It's about reducing the impact I think.

Interest rate cuts, small cut in VAT (not allowed to go below 15% - EU member states aren't allowed to undercut each other with VAT), put some extra money into public projects: it might not work at all but it might make things a little better than they would have been than sitting round doing nothing. I'd sooner see the Govt try to help and fail than just sit back and take it.

Pretty much this, they don't think it will "all be better" by then, economists predict we will begin to recover, which will mean:

New companies showing up again
    Employment begining to rise
    Investors investing, banks lending
    House prices creeping up

To get to a state of full recovery (where we were in 2005 ish) will take years but if we can achieve a slow upward crawl in 2009 and maintain regualtion on the markets we will have a better economy in the long run.

Oh and some people always "fear it will get worse" without having anything to base it on, LB said this would be hitting the large corporates months back, we knew this was coming and alot of these guys were propped up by debt anyway.
  • mcmonkeyplc 17 Dec 2008 15:30:18 39,438 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is a fucking depresseing thread I appologise for it's existence.

Judging by the number of suppliers we are casually not paying at the moment I am again worried about the future of this company. I think we break a record here, going bust twice in one year!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• BillMurray 18 Dec 2008 20:22:06 7,701 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looking for a new job as of Wednesday but that's because i'm a temp and only expected a few months work. Doesn't make looking for work any easier though.
  • Trowel 18 Dec 2008 20:27:05 17,595 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    This is a fucking depresseing thread I appologise for it's existence.

Judging by the number of suppliers we are casually not paying at the moment I am again worried about the future of this company. I think we break a record here, going bust twice in one year!

I'm amazed you want to run the risk of jinxing yourself with your RE5 countdown on this of all threads!
  • sickpuppysoftware 18 Dec 2008 23:01:22 1,324 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just to give people some hope, I lost my job in October and have just been offered a job which I've excepted.

There are still jobs out there, it's not easy but don't give up.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• Page

of 83 First / Last