Countdown to Unemployment thread Page 78

• Page

of 83 First / Last

• Madder-Max 6 Dec 2012 17:53:52 11,622 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Basically, 0-hour contracts have their place, but when you're using it to support a mortgage/family, you're on thin ice as your hours can suddenly disappear.
    They can but if u r regarly doing over 40 hours then the compan has a certain resposibility to ensure that level of hours for u as best thery can. If they don't want to lose u ur hours won't. Drop. In reference to another poster commenting on the 40 hour week. I would rather not be limited to 40 hours and have the option to work more as that means more money.............that and the fact that I'm not greek or italian.

Edited by Madder-Max at 17:55:59 06-12-2012

99 problems and being ginger is one

• monkehhh 6 Dec 2012 18:29:39 3,269 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    FHUTA
    It worked, I got the job!

Nice one mowgli you jammy twat :)

Edited by monkehhh at 18:29:48 06-12-2012
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 18:31:43
    Cheers! Well bloody chuffed right now.
  • Moot_Point 6 Dec 2012 18:52:51 3,917 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Basically, 0-hour contracts have their place, but when you're using it to support a mortgage/family, you're on thin ice as your hours can suddenly disappear.
    They can but if u r regarly doing over 40 hours then the compan has a certain resposibility to ensure that level of hours for u as best thery can. If they don't want to lose u ur hours won't. Drop. In reference to another poster commenting on the 40 hour week. I would rather not be limited to 40 hours and have the option to work more as that means more money.............that and the fact that I'm not greek or italian.
    That was the whole point of having a restricted 40hr week, so there could be more work. But you signing a piece of paper saying you are willing to bypass the law means other people miss out on a job. /golf clap

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• DaM 6 Dec 2012 19:13:34 12,901 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    That was the whole point of having a restricted 40hr week, so there could be more work. But you signing a piece of paper saying you are willing to bypass the law means other people miss out on a job. /golf clap
    A place I worked at nearly went on strike when the European Working Directive stuff came in, all up in arms that they were to be limited to 40 hrs a week - these were salaried public sector research scientists, so nothing financial to gain from working 60 hours weeks, that's just the way they worked.

/no longer a scientist :)
  • Syrette 6 Dec 2012 20:08:13 43,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    GOT THE FUCKING JOB!

So bloody happy. Working from home, p/t, for more money on a two year contract doing something I love. Seriously fucking happy today. Means I get to spend more time with the dog :D :D :D :D
    Congrats.

That said, I couldn't handle living at home and working. I need that day to day interaction with other people. Not that a dog doesn't make for good company.

• Deleted user 6 December 2012 20:13:26
    Cheers. I'll be in court a lot so not completely on my bill and will be expected to go into the office now and then. But rather spend all my time with the dog if i'm honest!
  • mikew1985 6 Dec 2012 20:20:06 12,604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    In the pub/ restaurant where I work as assistant manager I am finding that people I am employing (zero hour contracts - part time). Are being advised to stay on the dole and go through some back to work scheme in cardiff. I have lost 2 staff members to this. They had jobs (which they found themselves) but were actively advised to leave and go back on the dole. Anyone else heard of this shit and anyone know where or whom this can be reported to? Surely its illegal or something?
    0 hour contracts aren't particularly ideal for the employee. Perhaps these guys genuinely felt they would be in a better place after doing the course?
    No they are not ideal but then how do you labour match to inconsistent trade? Would rather not be issuing zero hour contracts but if we offerred minimum hours contratcs the commitment would kill he business. We are in tough fucking times. I started on zero hour contract and demonstrayted reliability, honesty and commitment. Woprked my bollocks off and have been promoted today. U get what u put in and I would rather chop my bollocks off than go on the dole out of choice. I just don't understand people who would not work out of choice.
    Sorry I know this is going back a bit. So are you saying your employer really did have the work to offer you a full time contract and guaranteed hours but chose to wait until you had worked your bollocks off to give you one?

Thats the way it appears to me. I'm all for rewarding your best workers but a reward for being brilliant is now a contract with a guaranteed number of hours per week!? Really? this is what we're now accepting as a reward for being an exemplary employee? Why not just take people on with a probation period of a determined length and get rid if they're shite(which you can do at any point in the probation if they're not working out)? Why not look at the required hours that the business needs to cover and look for student/part timers for the extra shifts that need covering if those people who are currently on staff can't meet the demand?

To me it just seems like it's used now as a tool for far too many employers to get what they want with little regard for the people they are employing.

I'm not saying this is the case in your place of employment but it is in others.

Edited by mikew1985 at 20:21:58 06-12-2012
  • Toonster 10 Dec 2012 23:53:03 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally heard back after three interviews... GOT THE OFFER! All they need to do now is the background check and I'm good to go :D

Now excuse me while I do a happy jig.

Edited by Toonster at 23:53:18 10-12-2012

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Jono62 10 Dec 2012 23:56:49 13,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Congrats Toonstar.

Is that a CRB check you are waiting on?
  • Toonster 11 Dec 2012 00:02:02 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep, except it's the American version of CRB.

• localnotail 11 Dec 2012 00:15:04 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well done. Have you been up to anything dodgy for them to find?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Toonster 11 Dec 2012 00:47:47 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a notorious history as a peach smuggler. That's probably about it.

• ZuluHero 11 Dec 2012 01:27:37 4,023 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    haha :D
  • FanBoysSuck 30 Apr 2013 12:33:57 1,448 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd like a bit of advice if anyone's in the know about PHP development. What a reasonable salary to ask for with two years experience under the belt? My department is under review but we've been told we're all for the axe and it's just a contract formality.

I want to get some interviews in and hopefully a new job before the 4 week process is up. I really don't want to be be telling recruiters that I've been made redundant and have potential salaries lowered. I'm on 25k at the moment BTW.

For the emperor!

• Jeepers 30 Apr 2013 12:53:09 13,173 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whereabouts? 30k in London 25k elsewhere seems about right.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2013 12:54:04
    Craigy has a job going in Brighton.
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Apr 2013 12:59:33 16,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is there any other scripting experience with the PHP? I'd say you'd be looking between 25k and 30k from what I have seen recently.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Commander-Keen 30 Apr 2013 13:00:41 806 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it depends on where you're based firstly. Something like Glassdoor (http://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries/index.htm) can provide a rough benchmark for salary as well, though it's more by company.

Redundancy is rubbish. I've fortunately been skimmed by a few times in the last four years, but it's still horrible enough without having lost my job - you have my sympathies sir.
  • Commander-Keen 30 Apr 2013 13:01:35 806 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also a quick google turns up: http://www.mysalary.co.uk/average-salary/Php_Developer_2104
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Apr 2013 13:09:56 16,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh and yes, condolences of losing your job. If you are set on getting another job straight away then I'd suggest you go to the agencies. I was made redundant last year and there has been sod all to apply for, I suspect this is because many vacancies are mostly housed with the agencies.

Fortunately for you there does seem to be quite a lot of PHP programming jobs out there. Makes me wish I spent more time learning that stuff :-)

• FanBoysSuck 30 Apr 2013 14:52:37 1,448 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Jeepers I'm based in Birmingham and working on Coventry, so 25K+ seem like a good starting point. I'm quoting recruiters to start at 27k so I've got a bit of negotiation room.

@Aargh I tried applying for the gamesindustry.biz role but didn't make it to the final short list :(

@Mr_Sleep As far as other experience goes I'm the sole developer on a team so I cover everything from meeting the client, planning the system, developing it and testing. So while my main skills are in PHP I'm good with MySQL, Javascript(well, jquery) and HTML. I'm doing a bit of Lua on the side as well so I can start on doing cross platform apps using corona SDK. I come from a straight up computer science background doing Java at uni so transferring skills about isn't too much of an issue.

I put my CV to jobsite.co.uk(just uploaded, not applied for anything) on Friday and have had quite a few recruiters call. I'm not sure if any will get back to me though.

@Commander Keen Cheers for the links!

For the emperor!

• Mr_Sleep 30 Apr 2013 14:56:59 16,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds like you have a good gamut of skills. Might be worth - assuming you don't dive straight into another role - spending some time learning some other server side languages too. Maybe some linux coding and Perl. At least get to the level where you can blag it in interviews. A lot of the jobs I've seen recently are not quite PHP specific and tend to try and fill many boxes. I think it's the nature of things now in that companies used to employ three specific people and with the cut backs want to employ one that does it all.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 14:57:20 30-04-2013

• Commander-Keen 30 Apr 2013 15:11:20 806 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd also advise putting a bit of effort into making a good looking profile on Linkedin and applying to tech companies direct. There are an absolute ton out there, and most hire directly these days, rather than through agencies. Besides, it kind of makes sense that a tech / software company should be using online platforms to hire - if not you sort of wonder how good they are!

On top of that, I'd suggest doing some research into decent jobs fairs and attending - if you were based in London, I'd strongly recommend the Silicon Milk Roundabout fair as it's a really good one.

But yeah, I mentioned this in another thread here but agencies are in a desperate mess at the moment, and I wouldn't depend on them to get you a job!

Edited by Commander Keen at 15:11:44 30-04-2013
  • Jeepers 30 Apr 2013 15:52:56 13,173 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    (snip)
    As far as other experience goes I'm the sole developer on a team so I cover everything from meeting the client, planning the system, developing it and testing. So while my main skills are in PHP I'm good with MySQL, Javascript(well, jquery) and HTML. I'm doing a bit of Lua on the side as well so I can start on doing cross platform apps using corona SDK. I come from a straight up computer science background doing Java at uni so transferring skills about isn't too much of an issue.
    From a hiring point of view: Stressing your 'soft' skills is a good approach. I'd tend to assume that your dev skills are good enough and would be more interested to know how well you can work with a wider team, including non-dev types. So making mention of being client-facing, doing upfront plans etc. are all likely to make you more employable / better paid.

Good luck with the hunting - if I were you, I'd get in touch with a couple of decent agencies, and see who they can put you in front of.
  • FanBoysSuck 30 Apr 2013 16:01:34 1,448 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Good call, it does seem a lot like that. I type in PHP and while MySQL is going to be an obvious requirement, having decent Javascript as well as a few other skills up to a high level seems to be the order of the day.

@Commander Keen I'll get my linkedIn sub sorted asap, I do seem to be getting a lot of views recently. I'm guessing it's mostly recruiters checking me out based on my uploaded CV mind. I'll give that thread a read as well.

For the emperor!

• FanBoysSuck 30 Apr 2013 16:03:34 1,448 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Jeepers Thanks for the advice. I'll give the CV a tweak tonight :)

For the emperor!

• Mr_Sleep 30 Apr 2013 16:10:38 16,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Make sure to talk about how you dealt with stressful situations or deadline pressure, employers seem to lap that shit up. Every interview I've had in recent times went on about that.

• rudedudejude 2 May 2013 15:27:17 2,154 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Redundancy 1 to 1 'discussions' next week...

Gather that it's one week per year of employement, but I've got about 5 weeks of holiday for this year of which I've used one day so far. I'm hoping you get some recompense for that holiday time you've not taken too? Any ideas? Otherwise I might just take all next week of...
  • Mr_Sleep 2 May 2013 15:40:41 16,850 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought they had to pay off your holiday as well as any other redundancy. That's what happened in my case, although the redundancy was negotiated so it might be a bit different.

• Page

of 83 First / Last