Thanks!

Online validation ftw!
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 14:10:12
    Tell that to ubisoft.
  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 14:34:03 27,451 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Congrats Mowgli, hope it works out.

Although, if you end up being offered this second job, will it be difficult to choose between them? You say the first one is your dream job, but you really want the second one. Does that not perhaps imply that you're having second thoughts maybe? Either way, gl mate.

@Goodfella Totally agree.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mikew1985 26 Nov 2012 16:52:37 13,035 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    In the pub/ restaurant where I work as assistant manager I am finding that people I am employing (zero hour contracts - part time). Are being advised to stay on the dole and go through some back to work scheme in cardiff. I have lost 2 staff members to this. They had jobs (which they found themselves) but were actively advised to leave and go back on the dole. Anyone else heard of this shit and anyone know where or whom this can be reported to? Surely its illegal or something?
    0 hour contracts aren't particularly ideal for the employee. Perhaps these guys genuinely felt they would be in a better place after doing the course?
  • von_Doll 26 Nov 2012 18:49:42 2,115 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd encourage anyone on a zero-hour contract to go back on the dole, too.

Restaurants seem to think they can skirt around employment legislation by pulling out this zero-hours contract bullshit; but more fool the individual who gives up their right to paid holidays and opens themselves up to slow and drawn out 'dismissal' when their services are no longer required.
  • skuzzbag 26 Nov 2012 19:19:38 5,732 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Employees can be told to stop working so not earning but to stay on the premises in case they are needed."

Granted from Wikipedia but truly the worst situation ever if true. Harks back to Victorian values that. Any employer implementing these crappy contracts should be ashamed of themselves.
  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 19:25:32 27,451 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Morally and ethically bankrupt with absolutely no benefit to the employee and forcing them to sign away their employment rights, and madmax thinks it should be illegal to discourage people from signing them.

/raised eyebrow

Ball's in your court Max, convince us why they're a good thing.

Edited by darkmorgado at 19:26:19 26-11-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 26 November 2012 19:27:13
    Sue the fuckers.
  • Syrette 26 Nov 2012 19:32:12 44,216 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Not really a job though, is it, zero hour contracts should be outlawed. It's disgusting that people are being forced to take up these 'jobs' with no fixed hours. They can go weeks with little or no work and be dropped at a moments notice. There's zero security, no sick pay, holiday pay or redundancy. And the government count these as people who are in work. Utter bollocks.
    Wrong.

They're jobs, they just won't guarantee the employee a certain number of hours. They don't have to take these jobs. Some zero hour jobs still manage to provide fairly regular hours, whilst some don't provide regular hours at all.

Still, better than nothing, right? When I worked zero hours, I often actually worked more than I ever have as a full-time employee.

Zero hour contracts are flexible - which can suit both the employer and the employee.

No there isn't sick pay as far as I know. Why would there be?

In the zero hour contract jobs I had, we had holiday pay. It wasn't a fixed sum, it was based around an average of how many hours we'd be working recent to the time we chose to take it.

• skuzzbag 26 Nov 2012 19:57:02 5,732 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    When I worked zero hours, I often actually worked more than I ever have as a full-time employee.
    Snipped for sake of argument ;)

So you also lose your right to a normal 40 hour week? Wow it gets better and better.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 20:09:34
    Cheers dark! Because my dream job doesn't start for two years this other job would be perfect in the meantime. Would love this one, and it is actually doing good in the world before turning into a corporate lawyer scumbag.

Re. zero hour contracts. Ive got a pt teaching job on top of my ft job on a 0 hour contract. Can go ages with nothing. Don't mind as I have the other job but it is shit for people that depend on it as their only work.
  • monkehhh 27 Nov 2012 18:24:20 3,513 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, I have a reasonable job, but I'm going for the 'next rung' in the same company - the next rung being the first where you're expected to do a bit of supervising and more manager-y type things. Any amazing tips for competency-based interviews? I'm pretty competent. My day-to-day boss is interviewing me, so that might be weird. Our collective boss gave me some good tips thankfully too :)
  • Load_2.0 27 Nov 2012 19:15:14 19,670 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FHUTA
  • Load_2.0 27 Nov 2012 19:18:49 19,670 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Draw upon relevant workplace examples use the term I rather than "we" ensure you clearly outline the situation, tasks required, your actions and the result.
  • monkehhh 27 Nov 2012 19:22:51 3,513 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wasn't sure who to imagine naked, so I'm just gonna imagine everyone naked.
  • Madder-Max 28 Nov 2012 20:54:32 11,688 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    In the pub/ restaurant where I work as assistant manager I am finding that people I am employing (zero hour contracts - part time). Are being advised to stay on the dole and go through some back to work scheme in cardiff. I have lost 2 staff members to this. They had jobs (which they found themselves) but were actively advised to leave and go back on the dole. Anyone else heard of this shit and anyone know where or whom this can be reported to? Surely its illegal or something?
    0 hour contracts aren't particularly ideal for the employee. Perhaps these guys genuinely felt they would be in a better place after doing the course?
    No they are not ideal but then how do you labour match to inconsistent trade? Would rather not be issuing zero hour contracts but if we offerred minimum hours contratcs the commitment would kill he business. We are in tough fucking times. I started on zero hour contract and demonstrayted reliability, honesty and commitment. Woprked my bollocks off and have been promoted today. U get what u put in and I would rather chop my bollocks off than go on the dole out of choice. I just don't understand people who would not work out of choice.

Edited by Madder-Max at 20:56:30 28-11-2012

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Clive_Dunn 28 Nov 2012 21:27:48 4,788 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    I just don't understand people who would not work out of choice.
    Because if the choice is between getting ( just ) enough to live through benefits by not working and not getting enough to live ( or feed / clothe children etc ) through a poorly paid, no guaranteed hours job, you need to be pretty fucking stupid to chose the work option.

This is the point where the Daily Mail ( and probably you ) start shouting about overly generous benefits, when the real issue is employers failing to pay a living wage.

The biggest problem with the economy at the moment is low domestic demand, and the constant driving down of wages just makes the issue worse.
  • Madder-Max 28 Nov 2012 23:19:26 11,688 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I totally agree with the low wage issue but people are only doing damage to themselves if they choose to stay out of work and the situation is what it is.

If it wasn't for labour securing minimum wage rises then the whole thing would be totally unviable.

Mervin king was on the radio last night saying that debt levels are increasing despite austerity measures and that there is a huge correction on its way. In other words. A lot worse is to come.

Who are employers going to look to then?.

Edited by Madder-Max at 23:21:01 28-11-2012

Edited by Madder-Max at 23:44:39 28-11-2012

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Deleted user 5 December 2012 08:00:29
    Made redundant yesterday. Whole company in administration.

Maddly looking for a job but it's tough, most places have already employed their seasonal staff. Frack.
  • THFourteen 5 Dec 2012 08:04:01 34,470 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clive_Dunn wrote:This is the point where the Daily Mail ( and probably you ) start shouting about overly generous benefits
    And me and me!

Sorry to hear you've lost your job Apostle, hopefully something will come up ASAP
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Dec 2012 08:07:36 25,624 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry to hear that dude :-(

mowgli, mind if I ask where you're working?

And re zero hour contracts, I had one when I was a student and working in pizza hut. Was great. Super flexible for time off during exams, then could ramp up over the summer when needed more money. Was stark contrast to my friends who struggled to get any time off for holidays, revisions and such. I got as much time off as I needed, took three months off for project stuff and no problem.

Obviously I can see it being a problem for those who need proper regular income with families etc, but for me, at that point in my life, it was absolutely fantastic.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Deleted user 5 December 2012 08:11:09
    Thanks guys, I hope so to! :(
  • ZuluHero 5 Dec 2012 09:50:12 4,302 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think we’re seeing two sides of the coin here, when you’re young and a student/living at home/whatever, 0-hour contracts can suit really well, but when you’re older and have more responsibility, like dependants/mortgage/etc, then you require a regular income.

Not advocating one or the other mind, just saying.

All the best Apostle - what a sucky time of year to happen as well! :(

Edited by ZuluHero at 09:55:07 05-12-2012
  • Rusty_M 5 Dec 2012 11:14:26 4,924 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Basically, 0-hour contracts have their place, but when you're using it to support a mortgage/family, you're on thin ice as your hours can suddenly disappear.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• skuzzbag 5 Dec 2012 11:29:41 5,732 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Found out this morning that it's between me and another person for a job I recently went to an interview for. This is good news as I thought I messed up that interview and have been having flashbacks all week of the cringe-worthy moments I created. Got a final telephone interview (it's in Northern Ireland and I'm in England) in a week or so.

Good luck with your job search Apostle!
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 16:21:54
    GOT THE FUCKING JOB!

So bloody happy. Working from home, p/t, for more money on a two year contract doing something I love. Seriously fucking happy today. Means I get to spend more time with the dog :D :D :D :D
  • Page

of 84 First / Last