Countdown to Unemployment thread Page 74

• Page

of 83 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 17 May 2012 07:25:16 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair though, if it is a rival I imagine they do very similar stuff, and you would likely be in breach of covenant if you started working there within the restricted period. Employers can and do enforce it, so be careful.

What's the wording of the covenant like? Is it quite open about what jobs you can't do or does it stay specific?

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• CosmicFuzz 17 May 2012 07:26:45 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    First interview tomorrow in almost a year. Have had zero time to prepare and need to get a haircut etc. tonight. Eek
    Good luck mowgs!

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• andytheadequate 17 May 2012 10:59:41 8,181 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its a software company so regional limitations don't really apply.

I was only there for a few months and they ended my contract whilst I was on probationary period(and it wasn't a a senior role).

My previous employer told my prospective employer about it when they asked for a reference.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2012 11:15:46
    Cheers Cosmic! Just had it, stared off great but quickly went downhill when they started asking me legal and political questions i really wasn't expecting (only a first round interview so that stuff is usually saved for the second round). Not going to get my hopes up but it is 'good' to be back in the game after a year of no intervenes. Really nice firm though with awesome office so bit gutted.
  • CosmicFuzz 17 May 2012 12:03:26 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Its a software company so regional limitations don't really apply.

I was only there for a few months and they ended my contract whilst I was on probationary period(and it wasn't a a senior role).

My previous employer told my prospective employer about it when they asked for a reference.
    Ah, sounds like you'll be fine then.

• CosmicFuzz 17 May 2012 12:05:30 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Cheers Cosmic! Just had it, stared off great but quickly went downhill when they started asking me legal and political questions i really wasn't expecting (only a first round interview so that stuff is usually saved for the second round). Not going to get my hopes up but it is 'good' to be back in the game after a year of no intervenes. Really nice firm though with awesome office so bit gutted.
    Ack sorry to hear that dude, but you never know! I've had interviews I thought went badly but turned out fine. Fingers crossed you get through to the next stage. Is it in Edinburgh still?

• mrpon 17 May 2012 12:41:38 28,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Cheers Cosmic! Just had it, stared off great..

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 17 May 2012 13:00:38 38,251 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Not to be a twat, but they probably asked you those questions to make sure you're someone who pays attention to the world around them and has an interest in the legal profession. Rather than someone who is drifting along since somehow qualifying. Failure through lack of preparation.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 17 May 2012 13:16:17
    I would definitely employ someone as a lawyer who knows nothing about the law.
  • senso-ji 17 May 2012 13:35:34 5,914 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    I would definitely employ someone as a lawyer who knows nothing about the law.
    That sums up my last Conveyancer perfectly.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2012 13:38:46
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Ack sorry to hear that dude, but you never know! I've had interviews I thought went badly but turned out fine. Fingers crossed you get through to the next stage. Is it in Edinburgh still?
    Cheers mate, yeah still Edinburgh but offices in Glasgow.

Devil, i know why they asked me the questions and i had prepared but these were fairly out of left field. Mainly political social commentary questions which i can opine on but don't offer much of an opportunity for proper discussion (beyond my political leaning).

I prepared a great deal on current legal issues, these were just not part of that.
    Unlucky really.

Argh, good contribution as always.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2012 13:58:24
    Your attempts to appear superior/equal continue to fall flat by your ongoing ineptitude at life.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2012 14:01:17
    Aargh. wrote:
    Your attempts to appear superior/equal continue to fall flat by your ongoing ineptitude at life.
    Nice fortune cookie :-|
  • Deleted user 18 May 2012 07:02:24
    Aargh. wrote:
    Bless. I know the faux ultra arrogance is part of the initiation rights but it doesn't suit you and just makes you look a bit daft. Wouldn't be too bad if you were at all funny or ever actually contributed. Something even they have noticed. :)
  • Deleted user 18 May 2012 07:35:49
    Are 'they' the voices inside your head that spend most of the time roaming the wasteland inside your skull.
  • Deleted user 18 May 2012 08:35:35
    Ok, :)
  • Trafford 18 May 2012 08:45:16 5,791 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd be useless in a modern interview.
    14 years in the same job leaves you institutionalised.
  • Deleted user 18 May 2012 10:18:13
    Just got my days cut down to 3, which is a right count considering I just bought a new house :(
  • Fozzie_bear 18 May 2012 10:57:41 15,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Look on the bright side. As long as you remembered to get dressed before you left the house and didn't shit in the office you'd be more likely to get a second interview than mowgli.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• andytheadequate 18 May 2012 12:51:12 8,181 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Just got my days cut down to 3, which is a right count considering I just bought a new house :(
    Feel for you mate. I was let go a few days after buying a house with no warning whatsoever. Luckily I was able to get another job pretty quickly.
  • Jono62 21 May 2012 15:56:23 14,122 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been put on notice of redundancy. 2 months until the team is disbanded. Good thing I hate my job. Just the wake up call I needed. The only downer is I'll miss the people I work with.
  • Vortex808 21 May 2012 20:48:08 7,153 posts
    Seen 24 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Been put on notice of redundancy. 2 months until the team is disbanded. Good thing I hate my job. Just the wake up call I needed. The only downer is I'll miss the people I work with.

:(

Shit. Sorry to hear that Jono. Hope it all works out well for you & you like the next job a lot better!
  • Jono62 21 May 2012 20:53:18 14,122 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers. I'll find something better.

It's funny how these companies 'streamline to make them more efficient' when we are struggling to keep up with demand as it is!
  • RedSparrows 22 May 2012 00:20:45 22,748 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So that Tory guy wants to make it easier to sack employees.

/burns effigy
    /falls asleep
  • KayJay 23 May 2012 08:58:20 5,288 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    :)
    Don't let 14 years put you off.
    I was 12 years at Sun Microsystems & 2 Years at Oracle (after the acquisition). I was made redundant at the end of December.
    To say I was worried after feeling as you say "institutionalised" was an understatement.
    I started at Sun as an apprentice when I was 16/17 and it was barely an interview I had when I started... It kind of went...
    "Are you Normal?"
    "Yes, sort of!"
    "You're in!"
    ...and that was it for 14/15 years.

First couple of interviews at the beginning of this year were really quite nerve racking. But I did my homework in terms of a Company review and what sorts of questions are asked in a modern interview.
    Generally there are a set of around 4-5 questions always asked, and if you can nail those any other questions are usually in or around those 4-5 and easily covered off.

My third interview I was offered the job on the spot. It was an initial 3 month contract but my manager called me into his office on Friday last week and told me he'd asked HR to draft me a Permanent Package which should be ready to sign in a week or so. \o/

So, moral of the story. Yeah there is a recession on and Jobs are difficult to find but I am relatively run of the mill chap and I seem to have done not to bad. I'm yet to see my contract but it will certainly be a substantial upgrade in terms of wage.

It such a relief though, a real weight off the shoulders.
    Being out of work is without question the most testing thing I have come up against and wouldn't wish it on anyone tbh, but just make sure you dust yourself off, pick yourself up and get back out there quickly.

Here's where you congratulate me... :)
    x x
  • DaM 23 May 2012 10:26:47 13,226 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well done :)

I wouldn't have a clue about interviews either...just be relaxed and friendly. I suppose that won't help if you actually have to know some facts.

I'm fairly sure I replied "I'd just Google it" when asked if "what would you do if you had a problem you didn't know the answer to" at my last job interview.
  • Dougs 23 May 2012 10:43:31 67,752 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What do you ask when you're interviewing for staff then?!
  • Armoured_Bear 23 May 2012 10:54:00 11,271 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well done KayJay!

Drinks are on you :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 23 May 2012 10:56:49
    andytheadequate wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Feel for you mate. I was let go a few days after buying a house with no warning whatsoever. Luckily I was able to get another job pretty quickly.
    I'm more annoyed that I'll have to get a proper job tbh :D
  • DaM 23 May 2012 11:07:21 13,226 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    What do you ask when you're interviewing for staff then?!
    I'm really shit at it, I now just use social media cyberstalking to get to the truth :) I try and get people with more experience to help. Actually, after a bad experience last time, trying to just go on personal recommendations from existing staff who I trust - they wouldn't recommend an idiot as it would screw up their work life.
  • Page

of 83 First / Last