Countdown to Unemployment thread Page 73

• Page

of 81 First / Last

• beastmaster 25 Apr 2012 10:45:03 10,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The guy who sits next to me at work has now officially resigned today. They didn't want him to work his notice.

Found out he was on his final written warning yesterday and now he's at home. Apparently work was not his primary source of income (runs an internet business on the side from what I can gather), so he's okay at it were.

Even so though, it's still not exactly the greatest time to be handing in your notice. He could have stalled/appealed and done other things but he can't be arsed.

I'm on holiday for a few days but he's just got in touch with me to tell me it's now a done deal as it were.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• DaM 25 Apr 2012 11:59:31 12,606 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe he will now be able to turn his on the side business into a proper grown up one. That's what I did (my employers went bust), never looked back. Sometimes you just need a kick up the arse to get you out of your comfort zone.
  • Rusty_M 25 Apr 2012 12:52:45 4,349 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:

I'm a developer and I got sent to an ITIL Foundation years ago. It certainly is an extra feather in the cap.

Did you get the badge? I'm sure I remember something about a badge.

/wants a badge

Edited by beastmaster at 17:20:00 19-04-2012
    interesting. My employer sent me to do that in October. My boss is supposedly looking into further modules too.

Edit: I don't remember any badge.

Edited by Rusty_M at 12:56:01 25-04-2012

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Gruff 25 Apr 2012 16:27:11 2,770 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The guy who sits next to me at work has now officially resigned today. They didn't want him to work his notice.

Found out he was on his final written warning yesterday and now he's at home. Apparently work was not his primary source of income (runs an internet business on the side from what I can gather), so he's okay at it were.

Even so though, it's still not exactly the greatest time to be handing in your notice. He could have stalled/appealed and done other things but he can't be arsed.

I'm on holiday for a few days but he's just got in touch with me to tell me it's now a done deal as it were.
    He's lucky, the guy that sat next to me at work died over the weekend, in his late 30s, brain aneurysm, his son found him.

Kinda puts everything in perspective TBH.... It has been, and continues to be a long week

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• bbvDJC 25 Apr 2012 17:18:25 1,637 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just an update; I still have my new job after a week and I strangely love it. Well hectic and fast!

Edit; not to rub it in to anyone or to derail from the sad loss of life at such a young age. :(

Edited by bbvDJC at 17:19:15 25-04-2012
  • Gruff 25 Apr 2012 17:38:08 2,770 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No offence taken at all, life goes on.

I was out of work for 4 months a couple of years ago, its a fantastic feeling getting back to employement, but that soon wears off :)

Congrats on the job

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Rusty_M 26 Apr 2012 18:39:24 4,349 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well there go the first redundancies within IT in my workplace. Only been in IT a year, too. Hopefully that should be just about enough to get me a similar job somewhere if needs be.

• Jeepers 26 Apr 2012 19:01:13 13,158 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    30% redundancies at my place with names released next week.

On the bright side it's nearly Friday.
  • Khanivor 26 Apr 2012 19:03:12 39,869 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Learning how to do hardwood flooring this week. Should become a semi-regular thing till I find a job suitable for someone in their late 30s.

/rubs knees

/milky milky
  • skuzzbag 26 Apr 2012 19:35:27 5,482 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    skuzzbag wrote:
    DJCopa wrote:
    Nasty - Out of interest, did you do the Foundation, or work through the other modules as well?
    I'm interested in this as well as your post makes it look like you only watched the video then took the foundation exam and passed!

I'm currently studying for my MCITP Server 2008 exams but will be looking at the ITIL ones next as am interested in getting into the NHS.
    Get stuck in to the MVA too. Not as big a clout as having the MS certs but sticking a link to your progress on your CV wont do any harm.
    Great thanks! I've saved that and will have a look at it. We use vSphere at work so I've got good access to the virtual side of things but nay cloud stuff. That's just a pipe dream to the place I work at at the moment. They are in a painful small business to medium business transition with stuff like virtual domain controlers running Server 2000 (apparently it was easier just to virtualise the current out-dated equipment) so there are more immediate (and glaringly obvious) improvements to make. I hasten to add I've only worked there 8 months and wouldn't have advised half the stuff they have done, I'm currently undoing a lot of it.

but anyway I digress - thanks for the info!
  • skuzzbag 26 Apr 2012 19:39:15 5,482 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Learning how to do hardwood flooring this week. Should become a semi-regular thing till I find a job suitable for someone in their late 30s.

/rubs knees

/milky milky
    I sanded a floor in our house with two hired sanders. Total cost came to £67 hiring it over the weekend. The finish is amazing for what looked like a crappy floor. Took me a day of sanding and then another day of varnish but could be done on one long day. It was hard work but you could easily make some money doing that.
  • Slurmseh 29 Apr 2012 20:33:54 2,322 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After 4 months of being unemployed (the joys of returning home to Ireland) I'm back in Vancouver and have gotten my old job back.

It's going to be so good to be part of the workforce again!
  • Rusty_M 29 Apr 2012 23:04:32 4,349 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't see what it has to do with the thread, but I'm pretty sure there would be people out there who can talk with forces beyond 3g.

Fighter pilots come to mind.

• Vice.Destroyer 30 Apr 2012 13:45:27 5,791 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vice.Destroyer wrote:
    21/5/12 is the day that my company is officially winding up business in Glasgow and relocating to Belfast. With all due respect to any and people that live in and love Belfast, I am not relocating there. So I have until then to find myself a new job. Motherfuckers!
    Just a little update. Since that post, I flew to Uganda to visit family. Bought the ticket before I found out I was going to be jobless. Didn't have the chance to apply whilst I was out of the country and started when I came back. One of my friends that works in IT for an accountancy firm, gave me a heads-up for the vacancy. Only job interview I got, only job I applied for and three of my work colleagues also went for it. I got it. Very pleased. Start on wednesday.
  • DaM 30 Apr 2012 13:52:49 12,606 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What he doesn't know is the communal butter system, where the new boy has to supply grade A margarine for the entire workforce :(
  • DodgyPast 30 Apr 2012 14:39:18 8,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Congratulations.
  • geeza2020 30 Apr 2012 14:58:07 1,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm thinking about quitting my job at a bank - doing awful admin work for them, not investing! Anyway I've been on the bottom rung for a while now here, despite always volunteering to do the shitty jobs, or to take on work thats a bit more complex than what others seem willing to do, I just get no recognition for any of this whatsoever. Whats really brought this home is the fact that if I got a bar job near my house (in Brighton) I could earn as much money as I do now (becuase I'm paid so little and spend so much on commuting) but without all the stresses of working for a big company and all the shit that brings. I'm currently working for the bank in Edinburgh (on a project - another massive piece of business I have done succesfully for the company and will received exactly fuck all for) and will start looking for bar jobs or other work around Brighton seriously when I get back in a couple of weeks. People tell me now is not the time to give up a secure job, but seriously, it sucks donkey balls.

Wish me luck.
  • Khanivor 30 Apr 2012 15:22:34 39,869 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't be sad for pay. Good luck!
  • Deleted user 16 May 2012 16:02:50
    First interview tomorrow in almost a year. Have had zero time to prepare and need to get a haircut etc. tonight. Eek
  • Load_2.0 16 May 2012 16:29:17 18,190 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    need to get a haircut etc. tonight. Eek
    That alone will take a 3-4 hours minimum.
  • Deleted user 16 May 2012 16:39:30
    Probably feels like that when compared to the 20 second spit polish your haircuts entail.
  • nickthegun 16 May 2012 16:41:06 55,848 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Load_2.0 16 May 2012 17:02:22 18,190 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mowgli

Bald jokes? I am emailing Rauper.
  • andytheadequate 16 May 2012 21:29:29 7,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Do any legal types know anything about restrictive covenants? My previous employer had one in their contract that stops me going to a rival and need some advice whether it will hold up...
  • L0cky 17 May 2012 00:00:27 1,442 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They don't hold up, and they won't even contemplate trying.

Edit: Assuming you're in the UK.

Edited by L0cky at 00:00:48 17-05-2012
  • Fozzie_bear 17 May 2012 00:14:12 15,313 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They can work but restrictions on the geographical area you're not allowed to work in and the time limit have to be no more than is necessary to achieve a reasonable goal like protecting trade secrets.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Page

of 81 First / Last