Countdown to Unemployment thread Page 72

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• Khanivor 14 Apr 2012 21:08:08 41,261 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It varies from state to state; some have decent protections some have none. These are called 'Right to Work' states. (you really gotta love the naming conventions of right-wing assholes).

It then, like anywhere, depends on the job. Everyone gets a handful of federal holidays, like Memorial Day, Labour Day and the Jesus days. Then it's up to your contract, if you have one. You will be exceedinly lucky, I think, to find a job with European levels of days off.

If you have a good job with good rights then you will be OK. The number of federal laws granting rights like sick leave are minimal. If you're going to work for a largish company, say 50+ employees, then you should be able to get good rights and benefits. Anything less and you won't be likely.

There's a different work ethic, or at least the shared opinion of one, than in the UK.

A work week will vary by contract and company but 40-45 hours is the norm.

All my personal observations, YMMV and all that.
  • DaM 14 Apr 2012 22:02:32 13,529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do you have to work in a chain gang to get your giro Khanivor?
  • bbvDJC 17 Apr 2012 12:15:40 1,766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm no longer unemployed. Hurahhh!!
  • Khanivor 17 Apr 2012 12:24:52 41,261 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    It's easier than the UK. Certify online once a week by ticking boxes to say I've no worked but have been looking. Submit. That's it. $275 in the bank a few days later.

Course, it runs out after 6 months. There are extensions but when you run out of those you run out of money.
  • DaM 17 Apr 2012 12:50:29 13,529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    It's easier than the UK. Certify online once a week by ticking boxes to say I've no worked but have been looking. Submit. That's it. $275 in the bank a few days later.

Course, it runs out after 6 months. There are extensions but when you run out of those you run out of money.
    You'd better get your vegetables growing then! How is the job market in your area?
  • DaM 17 Apr 2012 12:56:12 13,529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bbvDJC wrote:
    I'm no longer unemployed. Hurahhh!!
    Well done! What are you doing?
  • bbvDJC 17 Apr 2012 16:34:44 1,766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As silly as it sounds, it's a job a mcdonalds.

But a jobs a job so whatever.
  • Load_2.0 17 Apr 2012 17:01:41 19,670 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sign up to their management programmes, they have a load of training courses.
  • MetalDog 17 Apr 2012 17:13:40 23,920 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The arseholes who mock service jobs are usually the same people who get their knots all puckered over people signing on, let's face it. So fuck 'em and congrats!

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• bbvDJC 17 Apr 2012 17:31:53 1,766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks guys!

Great to actually have a job again, I still have to get through probation (3 weeks) but it's nice to have some kind of security again!

Planning to sign on the the course as you pointed out Load_2.0 but again, have to get through probation to do so! Shouldn't be too hard!
  • captbirdseye 17 Apr 2012 17:36:08 5,464 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't speak of them highly enough. I worked for them for a few years and they always looked after you with good perks, training and sponsporship for degrees etc.
  • Khanivor 17 Apr 2012 17:36:18 41,261 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
  • bbvDJC 19 Apr 2012 15:52:21 1,766 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    First shift tonight. Woo.
  • Salaman 19 Apr 2012 16:07:00 19,604 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dooo do do do dooooooooooo!

Go get them tiger!
  • DJCopa 19 Apr 2012 16:38:32 1,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    ITIL v3 foundation. Every job I went for since getting it, I've got to interview stage. It's definitely something people want to discuss when you're face to face with them.

Edit: I used this playlist from an Australian Uni that does ITIL as part of its coursework for study and booked my exam through Pearson Vue.
    Cheers for this link. Not unemployed yet, but company isn't looking great long term. Was talking to the wife last night about plans, etc. and mentioned that ITIL was something I needed to get under my belt - You have confirmed this and provided a lovely link - Eurogamer is a really helpful place sometimes! :)
  • DJCopa 19 Apr 2012 16:42:24 1,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nasty - Out of interest, did you do the Foundation, or work through the other modules as well?
  • beastmaster 19 Apr 2012 17:19:37 11,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a developer and I got sent to an ITIL Foundation years ago. It certainly is an extra feather in the cap.

Did you get the badge? I'm sure I remember something about a badge.

/wants a badge

Edited by beastmaster at 17:20:00 19-04-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• monkehhh 19 Apr 2012 17:22:20 3,515 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @bbvDJC My brother and sister both worked for McDonalds and they both didn't mind it at all. Plus, free food!
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2012 17:24:34 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It has to be slightly embarrassing when someone from your past comes in for a burger wearing a suit and you're there with a cardboard hat on, waist deep in french fry grease, no?
  • skuzzbag 19 Apr 2012 17:31:34 5,734 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DJCopa wrote:
    Nasty - Out of interest, did you do the Foundation, or work through the other modules as well?
    I'm interested in this as well as your post makes it look like you only watched the video then took the foundation exam and passed!

I'm currently studying for my MCITP Server 2008 exams but will be looking at the ITIL ones next as am interested in getting into the NHS.
  • Concrete 19 Apr 2012 17:45:43 603 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ronuds

Depends if you are the type of person who judges success in life/the value of a person based on a single snapshot in time (tend to be highly insecure and usually immature) or take a more pragmatic approach that everyone gets good and bad breaks in life and deal with them as best as they can. Often working hard at whatever job you can get is the most likely way of improving your situation.
  • Nasty 19 Apr 2012 17:51:29 4,748 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DJCopa

Just foundation so far. New job have already offered to put me through some more with a view to filling the change/release manager role.

Just a cert. No badge :( I get a badge if my FBCS is accepted \o/

I crammed the first 30-40 videos of that playlist and did a ton of free practice exams. I do have a decent capacity for absorbing meaningless acronym drivel and the practice exams were pretty straightforward 'Find the key word in the question and run with it' type faire.

Edited by Nasty at 18:25:57 19-04-2012
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 19:04:16
    Concrete wrote:
    . Often working hard at whatever job you can get is the most likely way of improving your situation.
    I think in most down to earth jobs, you don't get paid extra for working harder and there is no ladder to climb and no job satisfaction. We live in a very materialistic and shallow society where it's all about having a bigger house and better woman than the next man and showing off the latest iShit.

There's no recognition for someone just holding a job and working hard, those pretend values only materialise from thin air when an arsehole is attacking the unemployed.

With these jobs, It's just a treadmill, so you take any break you can get. Clawing back time/energy by doing the minimal, and getting out of there asap..., down the pub to wash this miserable country/life out of your poor brain.
  • ronuds 19 Apr 2012 19:35:16 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    DaM wrote:

They can audit you now to make sure you've been looking for work. Not sure if they're actually going to, they just claim they can.

Are you out of work too, Khan?
  • DaM 19 Apr 2012 19:39:16 13,529 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @bbjDVC - it's much easier to get another job if you are already in one. Who knows, it might turn out to be OK - there seems to be progression available, and any experience is good.

I had 2 flatmates once, one got a job at BK, and the other and McDs - the McDs guy seemed to be in a much better environment.
  • DJCopa 19 Apr 2012 20:13:46 1,058 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nasty wrote:
    @DJCopa

Just foundation so far. New job have already offered to put me through some more with a view to filling the change/release manager role.

Just a cert. No badge :( I get a badge if my FBCS is accepted \o/

I crammed the first 30-40 videos of t-at playlist and did a ton of free practice exams. I do have a decent capacity for absorbing meaningless acronym drivel and the practice exams were pretty straightforward 'Find the key word in the question and run with it' type faire.
    Good luck with the new job and cheers for the info. Link is really helpful - it's definitely a worthwhile creditation.
  • Nasty 19 Apr 2012 20:53:31 4,748 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    DJCopa wrote:
    I'm interested in this as well as your post makes it look like you only watched the video then took the foundation exam and passed!

I'm currently studying for my MCITP Server 2008 exams but will be looking at the ITIL ones next as am interested in getting into the NHS.
    Get stuck in to the MVA too. Not as big a clout as having the MS certs but sticking a link to your progress on your CV wont do any harm.
  • Page

of 84 First / Last