The Official Family Guy Thread Page 14

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• kinky_mong 19 Jan 2011 13:58:52 10,873 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Okay, I'm with you on Season 3.

But, I implore you to actually sit down and watch Season 1 (let's just ignore 2 for now).

Seriously, watch it. And then tell me that it's of a same standard as the later ones. I mean, it's like a whole different show. It's basically early-nineties Simpsons, only with a lot less of the genius that early-nineties Simpsons actually had.

Well one of my favourite moments from the first season was in the episode where Meg manages to knock out the town's cable TV when Peter is teaching her to drive. It cuts to Tom Tucker and Diane Simmons presenting the news...

Tom Tucker: This just in, all cable TV has been knocked out in Qauhog. Of course nobody can actually hear this so we can say what ever the hell we like. I'm the Lord Jesus Christ! Think I'll go beat up some midgets. What about you Diane?
    Diane Simmons: Well, Tom I just plain don't like black people!

Not exactly what you call tame, particularly as when I watched that in my uni halls it caused one guy to storm out exclaiming "They don't care who they offend, do they?!"

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• kinky_mong 19 Jan 2011 13:58:58 10,873 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• cianchristopher 19 Jan 2011 14:00:02 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, much like Family Guy, I prefer the later seasons of American Dad. I find the first two seasons to be the weakest, as the show was finding its footing, and relying too much on the "Stan is a right-wing Republican, his daughter's a pinko-lefty Democrat" schtick for jokes.

Once it started to go out there, further and further, it got much, much funnier. The Rapture episode is one of the greats from any comedy show.

This is why I currently like The Cleveland Show the best, as it hit the ground running in its first season with wacky stories and characters and jokes. It didn't have to spend a season or two fucking around with conventional humour, like the other two did.

I guess I really like out-there humour, but I think it's just that I've seen all the other, old-school, shit before.
  • cianchristopher 19 Jan 2011 14:04:59 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Well one of my favourite moments from the first season was in the episode where Meg manages to knock out the town's cable TV when Peter is teaching her to drive. It cuts to Tom Tucker and Diane Simmons presenting the news...

Tom Tucker: This just in, all cable TV has been knocked out in Qauhog. Of course nobody can actually hear this so we can say what ever the hell we like. I'm the Lord Jesus Christ! Think I'll go beat up some midgets. What about you Diane?

Not exactly what you call tame, particularly as when I watched that in my uni halls it caused one guy to storm out exclaiming "They don't care who they offend, do they?!"

Nah, compare that to a later season:

Stewie: What kind of a man would I be if I ran off now?

Brian: Well, you’d be a black man.

See, that's much funnier - as it touches on the widespread issue of many African Americans growing up without a father in the house (including their President). That's the kind of "edgy" humour I like.
  • kinky_mong 19 Jan 2011 14:14:32 10,873 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:

Nah, compare that to a later season:

Stewie: What kind of a man would I be if I ran off now?

Brian: Well, you’d be a black man.

See, that's much funnier - as it touches on the widespread issue of many African Americans growing up without a father in the house (including their President). That's the kind of "edgy" humour I like.

No it's not funnier, it's just crass and a perfect example of how cheap Family Guy is now as it struggles to get laughs.

Let me guess, you're a big Frankie Boyle fan?

• kingnothing12 20 Jan 2011 13:07:44 577 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sign me up for a painful death then chris, series 2 family guy>> everything else.

Like the gumble to gumble episode i was in tears at this:

Peter: I'll handle it, Lois. I read a book about this sort of thing once.

Brian: Are you sure it was a book? Are you sure it wasn't nothing?

Peter: ...Oh yeah.

and the classic where Peter tries to be a rich gentleman:

Peter: Brian, teach me how to be a gentleman.

Brian: Well, Peter, it's not really that hard. Let's start with a polite conversation. For example, it's a pleasure to see you again. Lovely weather we're having. Now you try.

Peter: It's a pleasure to see you again. After Hogan's Heroes, Bob Crane got his skull crushed in by a friend who videotaped him having rough sex. How's that?

Brian: Wow. Perfect. My work is done. But just for the heck of it, let's try it again.
  • sirtacos 16 Feb 2011 14:32:49 7,378 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just watched "Friends of Peter G".

Wow. What a shit episode. The musical bit was just to fill in air time (as they usually are - fucking hate the musical bits), and seemed to last an eternity. And I skipped through it.
    The ending was so unfunny it was a little sad.
    Apparently I can't enjoy Family Guy sober anymore. Because it's shite.
  • TheSaint 16 Feb 2011 14:39:56 14,834 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    American Dad was great this week but family guy was poor. I wouldn't agree with hating the musical bits though, it's had some great songs over the years.
  • estoo 16 Feb 2011 17:21:34 2,871 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    American Dad was great this week but family guy was poor. I wouldn't agree with hating the musical bits though, it's had some great songs over the years.

I know a lot more people agree with you than agree with me, but I thought this week's American Dad was so mediocre I've decided to stop watching it. It honestly feels like I'm watching the same thing every week (Roger adopts a new character which annoys/inconveniences Stan and tack on a side story involving either Francine, Steve or Hailey.)

FG is really hit and miss at the moment too, think it is edging towards Simpsons territory where the writers are just phoning it in.
  • AcidSnake 31 Mar 2011 09:36:12 7,298 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's becoming more and more obvious this show has jumped the shark...The "funny because they go on a bit too long" scenes in particular have become grating as hell...The only one of those that was actually OK was where Peter hurts his knee...Other than that they're just wasting time...

Just one laugh per episode now...Not enough...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• TheSaint 31 Mar 2011 10:11:31 14,834 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just stop watching it then. FWIW I think some of the recent episodes have pretty good.
  • AcidSnake 31 Mar 2011 10:16:42 7,298 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, but it's hard! :)
    What if the next episode they redeem themselves?
    They've built up enough goodwill so that I'll see some tedious/mediocre episodes...

You thought the recent ones were good?
    I had high hopes when Evil Stewie appeared, but it got shoved to the background...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Aretak 31 Mar 2011 10:31:39 10,376 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    The "funny because they go on a bit too long" scenes in particular have become grating as hell
    A couple of the projectile vomiting ones have had me laughing so hard I nearly pooped. They seem to be getting longer and longer though, well past the point where they're funny on any level. The bit with Carter and the digger was painful.

American Dad is so much better these days.
  • Razz 11 Apr 2011 20:23:58 61,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :D So funny this week!

Hadoooken!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Razz 12 Apr 2011 11:09:51 61,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone else up to date?

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• TheSaint 12 Apr 2011 11:16:37 14,834 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the Street Fighter 2 joke was great.
  • Deleted user 8 May 2011 22:31:17
    New episodes tonight, a classic who dunnit episode. I cant believe James Woods died Bastards!
  • RobTheBuilder 8 May 2011 23:02:04 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Missed it annoyingly. The semi-doc programme before was shite though.
  • Deleted user 8 May 2011 23:07:06
    Yeah I thought it was a pretty decent episode.

Poor Mort :(
  • M83J01P97 8 May 2011 23:15:57 6,720 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aren't the 'new' episodes on BBC Three the ones we can go out and buy on the Season 10 DVD tomorrow?
  • Deleted user 9 May 2011 20:17:17
    This weeks new-in-the-US episode was easily the worst episode of Family Guy i have ever seen. I had been defending the show recently but by God was that a shite episode.
  • ecu 17 Jun 2011 14:59:18 77,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally up to date with the new episodes. Thought the series picked up towards the end, though it's disappointing to see them still putting in 2 minute music videos.
  • cianchristopher 17 Jun 2011 15:07:54 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The worst one was Jagger/Bowie "Dancing in the Streets".

The joke was ill-thought out (Peter simply says "this is the gayest music video of all time" and then the whole song plays for about 4 minutes).

Of course it's "gay", but that was fucking intentional. Jesus, that was the whole point of the video (Jagger and Bowie, eyeball-to-eyeball, literally millimeteres away from kissing) - so the "joke" completely and utterly fails, on a most basic and fundamental level.
  • ecu 17 Jun 2011 15:13:06 77,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah that's the one I was referring to. I had downloaded the episode so I skipped past it, I knew it'd be the full song.

It's a shame because the episode was otherwise pretty good.
  • estoo 30 Jul 2011 23:40:29 2,871 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a wonderful day for pie
  • Deleted user 26 September 2011 12:13:54
    New episode was on last night. Fairly meh.

80 refernece -> PETER AR STuPAt -> Internet meme.

Rinse, repeat, ugh.

American Dad was a musical episode which was dire.
  • ecu 26 Sep 2011 12:18:44 77,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't realise it was back already.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last