The Official Family Guy Thread Page 13

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• cianchristopher 18 Jan 2011 12:52:58 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dunno, UK I guess. My point is, Season 1 is extremely rough, and many of the jokes are basic, seen-it-a-thousand-times-on-a-thousand-other-shows, style. Season 2 was an improvement, as was 3. But, I feel that after the cancellation, it got much funnier (for a few seasons at least, before dropping off in quality)...

I'd say that 4, 5, 6 and 7 were the best seasons, with 5 and 6 being the strongest from those.
  • AlcohollicA 18 Jan 2011 13:15:30 2,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People are saying Family Guy used to be subtle, that was never the case. It was just sharper and funnier imo. Quick fire jokes and gags. Now they drag stuff out way to much.
  • estoo 18 Jan 2011 13:17:29 2,818 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    I contend that it's just become popular to slag the recent Family Guy seasons, and big up the first few. I can't imagine how anyone could find season 1 or 2 to be funnier than say, 4 or 5.

Seriously, find me an episode from the first two seasons that's as funny as Meet the Quagmires (the Back to the Future one).

Wasn't season 5 the year when they kept wheeling out Conway Twitty, have him play a full 3 minute song for no apparant reason other than they couldn't fill a lousy 20 minutes?
    That was the lowest the show has ever sunk.

Stewie was far more quotable in the early days when he was actively trying to kill Lois and I liked the Death character.
  • mikew1985 18 Jan 2011 13:26:34 12,672 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh god the Conway Twitty shit. so unfunny.

They even do little call backs to it now and again as if it was some classic moment in the shows lifecycle.

Truly awful unfunny filler shite.
  • AlcohollicA 18 Jan 2011 13:26:51 2,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Id almost forgotten about the Conway Twitty episodes. What were they thinking? O_o
  • mikew1985 18 Jan 2011 13:32:16 12,672 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whats even more unfunny about them is that; I think, the writers thought it was genuinely funny, which is just worrying.
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Jan 2011 14:01:40 14,608 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Dunno, UK I guess. My point is, Season 1 is extremely rough, and many of the jokes are basic, seen-it-a-thousand-times-on-a-thousand-other-shows, style. Season 2 was an improvement, as was 3. But, I feel that after the cancellation, it got much funnier (for a few seasons at least, before dropping off in quality)...

I'd say that 4, 5, 6 and 7 were the best seasons, with 5 and 6 being the strongest from those.

I would prob go with you on this.

Never mind that we NEED King Of The Hill pal boxsets from 5 onward, or even yank ones. Even speaking as DUffman :) I would say the run of KOTH is as perfect as you are going to get for a 'toon sitcom.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• kingnothing12 18 Jan 2011 14:07:55 553 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also the prom night dumpster baby skit went on about 2 mins too long as did the whole nodding section from 'it's a trap', way, way, way too long.
  • DFawkes 18 Jan 2011 14:34:12 22,833 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kingnothing12 wrote:
    Also the prom night dumpster baby skit went on about 2 mins too long as did the whole nodding section from 'it's a trap', way, way, way too long.

As much as I've enjoyed pretty much everything Family Guy, I have to agree. That's the only thing that really kills a joke for me - keep on going with something that isn't funny. Dumpster Baby, the nodding thing, some of the chicken fights go on a bit too long, that fucking Shipoopi song, Conway... thinking about it, I seem to dislike more than I remembered before I started typing.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• thelzdking 18 Jan 2011 14:41:09 4,367 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's diminishing returns with Family Guy. The nature of the show and its humour mean that it's eventually going to wear pretty thin, especially if the people behind it are spreading their talent across three programmes now.
  • andywilkie35 18 Jan 2011 14:41:34 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't forget the episode when Chris gets a job with that bloke in the gas station and they talk about the merits and faults of a film, which goes on for over five minutes, over quarter of the episode. Hilarious! Oh no wait it was fucking shit.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• kinky_mong 18 Jan 2011 16:48:28 10,170 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Are you joking? Season 1 & 2 of Family Guy are utterly shit compared to the later seasons. The jokes are tame, the animation is crap, the plots are much more simple and early-Simpsons-esque.

Wrong. The jokes aren't tame, they're just more subtly offensive than the "CANCERLOL! AIDSLOL! INFANTICIDELOL! RACISMLOL!" that the show has degraded too. Now there's only two or three good episodes in each series whereas for the first three series nearly every episode was great.

The mong speaks the tooth. American Dad is where the lolz are at now.

You speak the tooth there as well. American Dad is head and shoulders above the other Seth McFarlane cartoons now, mainly due to the excellent characterisation, particularly of Stan, Roger, Steve and Bullock.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• kinky_mong 18 Jan 2011 16:50:30 10,170 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    I contend that it's just become popular to slag the recent Family Guy seasons, and big up the first few. I can't imagine how anyone could find season 1 or 2 to be funnier than say, 4 or 5.

Seriously, find me an episode from the first two seasons that's as funny as Meet the Quagmires (the Back to the Future one).

The one where Peter is accused of sexual harassment in the second season comes to mind straight away.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• mikew1985 18 Jan 2011 16:51:56 12,672 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    Don't forget the episode when Chris gets a job with that bloke in the gas station and they talk about the merits and faults of a film, which goes on for over five minutes, over quarter of the episode. Hilarious! Oh no wait it was fucking shit.

It was a video store and the guy is voiced by H. Jon Benjamin so is by default awesome \o/
  • Articulate-Troll 18 Jan 2011 17:24:01 3,101 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought Family Guy was at its best from season 3 onwards, when the humour become mature and distinct from The Simpsons. Even when an episode isn't great there's usually enough jokes to provide at least at a few laughs, with the exception of the odd recent stinker.

Don't understand how some people can claim South Park's better by comparison. It's been a long time since that show was in its prime. The most recent series was pretty gaff.
  • Ka-blamo 19 Jan 2011 00:37:45 7,332 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    "Bilf! total bilf!"

lol Stewie

new episode is good
  • El_MUERkO 19 Jan 2011 00:43:59 16,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    some of the chicken fights go on a bit too long

while i agree with some of your points you are dead wrong about the chicken, everything with the chicken in it is perfect, you freak
  • cianchristopher 19 Jan 2011 12:12:46 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Caught a snippet of a Season 1 episode last night on BBC three, it was the one where Meg joins a cult and skips out on Stewie's birthday.

Now, anyone here who claims that the first seasons were the best is mentally retarded and deserves a slow and painful death.
  • Futaba 19 Jan 2011 12:23:52 3,507 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bit stupid to say the early seasons are bad based on a snippet of one episode.

There are just as many examples, some described on the last page, of recent seasons that have awful episodes, plots, gags or filler.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• cianchristopher 19 Jan 2011 13:10:43 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's not based on that one snippet, though. I've seen the early seasons two-or-three times each, and my point is, just like the first two-or-three seasons of The Simpsons, they're badly dated, and have a much different sense of humour to the later seasons (and I mean, much more conventional and, for lack of a better word, tame).
  • Futaba 19 Jan 2011 13:21:21 3,507 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think we'll be able to fully agree on this. I loved FG years ago but some of the episodes from the last few years have just been boring and unfunny. I'm not saying every single episode is of that quality, there are still good episodes but the consistency it had years ago isn't there for me anymore.

Season 3 is probably my favourite, S5 my least favourite.

• cianchristopher 19 Jan 2011 13:24:44 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Okay, I'm with you on Season 3.

But, I implore you to actually sit down and watch Season 1 (let's just ignore 2 for now).

Seriously, watch it. And then tell me that it's of a same standard as the later ones. I mean, it's like a whole different show. It's basically early-nineties Simpsons, only with a lot less of the genius that early-nineties Simpsons actually had.
  • iokthemonkey 19 Jan 2011 13:28:13 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:

But, I implore you to actually sit down and watch Season 1 (let's just ignore 2 for now).

Seriously, watch it. And then tell me that it's of a same standard as the later ones. I mean, it's like a whole different show. It's basically early-nineties Simpsons, only with a lot less of the genius that early-nineties Simpsons actually had.

The cut-aways and surreal bits are very poorly handled in the early episodes. It's like they're going, ''Hey, we're wacky! Right? I mean, you didn't expect to see that, did you? Huh? Huh? Prrrretty zany! Please love me.''

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• Futaba 19 Jan 2011 13:35:29 3,507 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:

I think the last time I watched Season 1, or episodes from it was last year or the year before. I still feel there are good jokes in it and it's entertaining, despite the fact it can feel disjointed in places. But yes, there is noticeable differences in animation and the general feel of it, comparing it to new episodes. This doesn't detract away enough from the jokes to spoil it for me though.

• estoo 19 Jan 2011 13:54:09 2,818 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I must be the only one not feeling the American Dad love? Quite liked the first season, but it's been slowly getting more and more ridiculous and I think I'm just watching it out of habit now.
    It's like the writers just sit down and go "What will we have Roger dress up as this week?" then glue on a side plot.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last