The Official Family Guy Thread Page 11

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• ecureuil 24 Sep 2010 16:23:14 76,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    boo wrote:
    I've never seen Family Guy, but someone, knowing that I'm a huge Star Wars fan, has just lent me Blue Harvest, and the Something...Darkside one.

I've just watched BH, and apart from some cool animation, it sucked like a V8 powered Dyson.

Shall I bother with the second one? Does it get any better?

Oh - Just seen the post above... that sounds like a no.

The Star Wars episodes rely heavily on Family Guy in-jokes.
  • thefilthandthefury 25 Sep 2010 01:18:02 24,983 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Star Wars ones are utterly, utterly, god awful.

And I love Star Wars and Family Guy.

True garbage of the highest order.
  • Futaba 25 Sep 2010 01:27:30 3,502 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't seen the second one but I liked Blue Harvest. Can't say the same for the last few seasons of FG I watched though, terrible, unfunny shite.

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• lucky_jim 25 Sep 2010 01:58:02 5,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's back tomorrow for all us impatient downloaders \o/. More realistically given the time difference we'll be grabbing it on Monday.

As is The Cleveland Show. American Dad starts again next week.
  • ecureuil 27 Sep 2010 14:44:46 76,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So did anyone else watch the new episode? It's a strange one.
  • geeza2020 27 Sep 2010 14:50:06 1,886 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What has happened to Family Guy?? It just seems like Seth can't be arsed to come up with any new material, so its just re-hashes of old jokes which get tired very very quickly. The Griffins need to buck their idea's up or everyone is going to be watching a certain Smith family a lot more.
  • lucky_jim 27 Sep 2010 15:05:58 5,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haven't watched the new Family Guy or Cleveland yet, they're both waiting for me tonight. They all have some ropey episodes though (including American Dad), it's kinda inevitable, but when they're good they're amazing.
  • welshben23 27 Sep 2010 15:16:04 1,080 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    It's the one thing that is making 11pm feeds bearable. This had me is tears

It had me in tears too...because that episode was awful. The song was repeated way too much and really got on my nerves.
  • ecureuil 27 Sep 2010 15:21:34 76,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The bird is the word episode is amazing. One of the best episodes they've ever done.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2010 15:26:33
    ecureuil wrote:
    The bird is the word episode is amazing. One of the best episodes they've ever done.

Haha, I loved that one :)

I like the any of the ones with the Giant Chicken in them too
  • lucky_jim 27 Sep 2010 15:31:39 5,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's funny when you see the first episode with a chicken-fight in it, because most of us (including me) have forgotten it was actually a bloke in a chicken costume, with his human face visible. I couldn't tell you at which point they changed it to an actual giant chicken.
  • kinky_mong 27 Sep 2010 16:11:37 10,137 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    It's funny when you see the first episode with a chicken-fight in it, because most of us (including me) have forgotten it was actually a bloke in a chicken costume, with his human face visible. I couldn't tell you at which point they changed it to an actual giant chicken.

No, the guy who tries to hand him a voucher and then tells him about the Y2K bug is a bloke in a chicken costume, he then has a flashback to why he doesn't accept coupons from chickens and fights an actual giant chicken.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• AlcohollicA 27 Sep 2010 21:28:29 2,355 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The newest episode was long and boring. :(
  • lucky_jim 27 Sep 2010 21:30:57 5,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kinky_mong: ah right, must be remembering it wrong.

I'm watching the newest episode now. I can't help but feel it's one long reference to a film or TV show that I'm not familiar with.
  • lucky_jim 27 Sep 2010 21:36:01 5,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, I've got it, it's a reference to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. Not a Christie fan myself so it didn't ring a bell with me.
  • Futaba 27 Sep 2010 21:39:40 3,502 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That was probably the right pick of titles to cite for that book, jim..

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• Deleted user 27 September 2010 21:39:57
    I approve of your PC version of the title of Agatha Christie's book. The true title is a little shudder-worthy

/isn't 1939 again
  • lucky_jim 27 Sep 2010 21:42:14 5,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Agreed. Seems astonishing that the original title was ever used.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2010 21:43:46
    I saw a TV version in the 80s with the original title I'm sure

Sadly, it's still a really good little book, odd how times and tastes change and all that
  • lucky_jim 27 Sep 2010 22:10:42 5,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished watching it, I quite enjoyed the episode once I figured out what the reference was (although I've not read the book, the story is vaguely familiar to me which is why I knew it was a reference to something).

Snakehips, apparently there were film versions made in 1965, 1974 and 1989 using the US title of Ten Little Indians*. I think I may have seen one of those without actually paying attention. Maybe you saw one of those? I can't find any reference to a film or telly version using the original title.

*Gotta love Wikipedia!
  • Deleted user 27 September 2010 22:13:10
    In which case I blame my bigotted mother for forcing the original title into my consciousness from such a young age
  • Deleted user 3 October 2010 15:57:18
    Just watched it and my word what a load of fucking bollocks.

Bless MacFarlane though for thinking he has created an interesting enough group of characters to warrant such an episode. He absolutely has not of course, but bless him for thinking otherwise.
  • ecureuil 3 Oct 2010 16:05:44 76,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find it weird how much people blame stuff like this on Seth MacFarlane. He's been pretty hands-off with Family Guy for years, he just provides the vocals. The main culprit is Cherry Chevapravatdumrong, her episodes are never that great. Thought this new one was okay actually, but it didn't really feel like Family Guy. It reviewed well among critics though.

Television critics reacted positively to "And Then There Were Fewer", calling the storyline "solidly funny, well-plotted, and nearly perfectly executed." In a simultaneous review of the episodes of The Simpsons and The Cleveland Show that preceded the episode, The A.V. Club's Todd VanDerWerff commented that he enjoyed "the "a bunch of people go to an isolated place and start getting killed" murder mystery sub-genre," and that the episode "made fun of the conceits of the genre." In the conclusion of his review VanDerWerff called the episode "excellent and fun," and "full of surprisingly gorgeous animation and a nicely creepy feel that hung over all of the jokes" and rated it as a B+, the best rating between The Simpsons episode "Elementary School Musical" and The Cleveland Show episode "Harder, Better, Faster, Browner". Jason Hughes of TV Squad also praised the episode's writers for doing a "solid job of creating a genuine mystery throughout the hour, keeping us guessing as to who did it and what their motive may have been." Hughes went on to comment positively on the episode's numerous guest stars, and compared its portrayal of Diane Simmons to that of The Simpsons character Sideshow Bob.
  • estoo 5 Oct 2010 09:28:09 2,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This week's Brian episode is possibly the worst Family Guy episode I've ever seen. I think my limited knowledge of American politics didn't help but I knew enough to get the jokes and none of them raised a smile.
    I'll admit I actually liked last week's murder mystery one, even if only for Quagmire's immortal line: "Can we not all just be happy she's dead?", but this was a stinker.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2010 09:30:37
    Yeah, I'm finding that more and more with FG these days. Other than the odd line from Quagmire and occassionally Stewie, it's just become a bit....predictable.
  • Trane 5 Oct 2010 22:10:35 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was willing to overlook the first episode.

Sadly the second was all kinds of shit, what have they done to Family Guy?

American Dad trumps it now IMO, and has done for a little while actually.
  • Dougs 5 Oct 2010 22:28:02 67,186 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    welshben23 wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    It's the one thing that is making 11pm feeds bearable. This had me is tears

It had me in tears too...because that episode was awful. The song was repeated way too much and really got on my nerves.

Sorry, bit old to come back on this. But I will anyway. That's the key to good comedy. You do it one more time than should be funny. And then once more for luck. It was pure genius, makes me laugh even thinking about it now
  • Dougs 5 Oct 2010 22:29:31 67,186 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    Agreed. Seems astonishing that the original title was ever used.

It's also what got Frank McLintock in trouble on Sky Sports a few years back!
  • ecureuil 6 Oct 2010 01:11:35 76,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    This week's Brian episode is possibly the worst Family Guy episode I've ever seen. I think my limited knowledge of American politics didn't help but I knew enough to get the jokes and none of them raised a smile.
    I'll admit I actually liked last week's murder mystery one, even if only for Quagmire's immortal line: "Can we not all just be happy she's dead?", but this was a stinker.

It wasn't that bad. I thought it was alright actually, it wasn't hilarious but it didn't do enough to be terrible.
  • AlcohollicA 6 Oct 2010 09:27:12 2,355 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good to see Family Guy finally in 16:9. Episode wasnt up to much althought better than last week.

Simpsons was better this week, made me laugh more than it has for a fair while. Will watch American Dad tonight. Dont think Ill bother with the Cleveland Show.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last