If you were diagnosed with cancer right now...

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • sirtacos 27 Sep 2008 19:23:40 7,279 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...what would you think about your life?

This doesn't include testicular cancer for obvious reasons.

It's easy to say "I'd do everything I'd ever dreamed of doing", but as romantic as that notion is, I don't think I would.
    I don't think I'd feel liberated, or start living 'in the moment', or suddenly have an epiphany about the universe.

I think it would just suck. It would suck if it were an easily removable tumour, it would suck if it were serious, and it would suck if it were malignant.
  • BobsYourUncle 27 Sep 2008 19:24:32 719 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What the fuck is this emo shit?
  • mrblackett 27 Sep 2008 19:25:42 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why would you be ashamed? Presumably you're not 60+. If you die young, you're hardly responsible for wasting your potential.

edit - Thanks, now my comment makes no sense. I'm never giving a serious answer to anything ever again.
  • sirtacos 27 Sep 2008 19:26:10 7,279 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's the hangover emo blues yo.
  • nickthegun 27 Sep 2008 19:44:45 59,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Worst 'what if?' thread ever, m8s.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• morriss 27 Sep 2008 19:46:06 70,972 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is a fucking horrible, horrible thread.

Someone please get rid.
  • sirtacos 27 Sep 2008 19:48:18 7,279 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What if a clown threatened you with death unless you simulated a blowjob on a balloon animal?
  • Deleted user 27 September 2008 19:48:41
    I would be in shock and need a cigarette.

edit: that is for the cancer one obviously.

Quite happy to BJ a balloon animal.

• Demento41 27 Sep 2008 19:50:50 87 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd get myself a gun and take out at least a dozen other people with me.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2008 19:52:17
    morriss wrote:

Someone please get rid.

Agreed. Pretty thoughtless for those who are suffering, or have close family members/loved ones going through it, not least of all because of all the 'hilarious' inevitable comedy answers that will no doubt ensue.
  • Demento41 27 Sep 2008 19:54:47 87 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, if cancer insists on infecting 1 in 3 people then we should at least be able to have a joke at it's expense.
  • sirtacos 27 Sep 2008 19:58:49 7,279 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    morriss wrote:

Someone please get rid.

Agreed. Pretty thoughtless for those who are suffering, or have close family members/loved ones going through it, not least of all because of all the 'hilarious' inevitable comedy answers that will no doubt ensue.

This thread sucks because it's unoriginal and negative, and because the presentation blows. Political correctness doesn't have much to do with it.

It should be better now that I erased the emo shit.
  • Jeepers 27 Sep 2008 20:02:59 13,181 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    morriss wrote:

Someone please get rid.

Yes. This is true.

Whereas the constant rape bear / paedo / surprise sex gags are a testament to the forum.

Anyone want some hypocrisy with their Jaffa cakes?
  • delicateknifefight 27 Sep 2008 20:04:38 288 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Using cancer as an example is going to hit a sore point with quite a few members. Obviously that's not your intention (which apparently is to depress the fuck out of us all) but it's worth considering before you post the thread anyway.
  • yegon 27 Sep 2008 20:09:13 5,259 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Given that I've had hiccups since Thursday night and have just read this on NHS Direct, thumbs up for relevance!!

/hiccups
  • Deleted user 27 September 2008 20:10:31
    Jeepers wrote:

Can't remember the last time I made any jokes about rape to be honest. Paedo jokes used in minor Wii trolling, fair enough. There's additionally a difference between "lol i call it surprise sex" in a random thread and the same thing in a thread specifically about how one would react to the event. So can't really see the hypocrisy here.
  • Jeepers 27 Sep 2008 20:12:32 13,181 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:

Can't remember the last time I made any jokes about rape to be honest. Paedo jokes used in minor Wii trolling, fair enough. There's additionally a difference between "lol i call it surprise sex" in a random thread and the same thing in a thread specifically about how one would react to the event. So can't really see the hypocrisy here.

But any of those topics might cause offence to anyone who has experience of them. If you don't like the "What would you do if you had cancer?" topics (and I'm not sure I do) then you can't in good conscience take part in any of the others.

Unless there's some hierarchy of suffering which I haven't been made aware of.
  • delicateknifefight 27 Sep 2008 20:13:18 288 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Plus ratio to how many people have been influenced by cancer and how many people have been influenced by surprise sex/paedophilia is kind of one sided...

I hope, anyway.

Just something to think about.
  • Jeepers 27 Sep 2008 20:15:04 13,181 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's entirely void. Unless we should show no sympathy for people suffering from Postencephalitic parkinsonism on the basis that it doesn't affect many people.
  • delicateknifefight 27 Sep 2008 20:17:45 288 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's not "entirely void" in the slightest. It's not a brilliant way of dealing with things, but knowing that quite a few people have dealt with cancer should at least make you think twice.
  • Oh-Bollox 27 Sep 2008 20:18:05 5,244 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hierarchy of suffering

What a wonderful phrase. Can I use that, Jeepers? Without you suing or hunting me down?
  • Jeepers 27 Sep 2008 20:19:14 13,181 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    delicateknifefight wrote:
    It's not "entirely void" in the slightest. It's not a brilliant way of dealing with things, but knowing that quite a few people have dealt with cancer should at least make you think twice.

That I agree with. What I don't agree with is the idea that "Cancer is the unmentionable" whilst the rape / paedo / whatever is ho-ho funny.

That's the hypocrisy.
  • Jeepers 27 Sep 2008 20:19:56 13,181 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    hierarchy of suffering

What a wonderful phrase. Can I use that, Jeepers? Without you suing or hunting me down?

Hmmm... Can I hunt you down a little bit? Just a little. No guns or anything. Just me, naked and oiled up, hunting you down.
  • delicateknifefight 27 Sep 2008 20:20:59 288 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    hierarchy of suffering

Hmmm... Can I hunt you down a little bit? Just a little. No guns or anything. Just me, naked and oiled up, hunting you down.

Whereas gay rape is apparently fine eh? : )
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Sep 2008 20:21:16 10,856 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:

Someone please get rid.
  • Oh-Bollox 27 Sep 2008 20:21:22 5,244 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Trade the nakedness for guns, if you like. I'd much prefer to be shot a little bit.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2008 20:21:23
    It's nothing to do with hierarchy or whether cancer is worse than rape, etc. Making cancer jokes in a thread about cancer is, broadly speaking, worse than making a random cancer joke in a thread about Nintendo. That's not to say one is acceptable and one isn't, by the way. I recall being vocal about the level of "lol rape" jokes before anyway.
  • _Price_ 27 Sep 2008 20:21:35 3,074 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Despite the nature of the beast it has to be said that a diagnosis of cancer doesn't always have to equal death or even chronic illness. If I happened to be diagnosed I'd immediately set about making sure I knew exactly what I was dealing with. What's the location and size of the tumour? (assuming there is one). Has it metastatised? Is it one of the few with highly effective treatments?

Of course I'd be worried, but would rather be in possession of the specifics rather than fear the unknown.
  • Jeepers 27 Sep 2008 20:25:27 13,181 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    It's nothing to do with hierarchy or whether cancer is worse than rape, etc. Making cancer jokes in a thread about cancer is, broadly speaking, worse than making a random cancer joke in a thread about Nintendo. That's not to say one is acceptable and one isn't, by the way. I recall being vocal about the level of "lol rape" jokes before anyway.

This wasn't a pop at you, fella.

I think a joke about cancer - no matter where it's offered - is in bad taste. Just as rape / paedo / whatever gags are in bad taste.

If one is considered acceptable on the forum we're all in trouble when we want to condemn the other. They're all equally contentious imo.

delicateknifefight
    Whereas gay rape is apparently fine eh? : )

I've been hoisted by my own petard!
  • sirtacos 27 Sep 2008 20:27:11 7,279 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    delicateknifefight wrote:
    Using cancer as an example is going to hit a sore point with quite a few members. Obviously that's not your intention (which apparently is to depress the fuck out of us all) but it's worth considering before you post the thread anyway.

I agree that this is a bad thread in many ways and that posting it was a mistake, but I can't undo it now so I'll try to justify it instead:

Mortality is something we all have to face. We've all lost loved ones, whether to cancer, degenerative diseases or accidents.
    It sucks, there's no question about it.
    The thread title "what would you say/do/think" can be seen as offensive because I seem to assume that you'd know what it would be like to be faced with such a situation. The truth is, most of us have absolutely no clue. To engage in a hypothetical discussion about it is useless and offensive in many ways but one: I think the subject of death should be discussed, not out of morbid curiosity or as a way to realise that 'our time on this Earth is precious' and that we should "life life to the fullest"...
    I think it should be discussed simply because it's there, begging to be acknowledged. Talking about it maturely would be much healthier than brushing it to the side.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous