Which broadband provider should I go with? Page 3

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• nickthegun 20 Nov 2008 12:42:08 58,779 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They gave me a free PS3 and were actually OK when I joined.

3 month later they were fully taken over by Carphone Warehouse who migrated all data services onto their servers, which is when everything went to shit.

Now AOL shares its service with talktalk and a few others and the quality of service is fucking dire.

I went through nearly 2 months of having dial-up speeds in the evening and, after two complaints to the ISPA, they gave me my mac code and sent me on my way.

Net result: My PS3 cost me 8 months of shit broadband.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• crispyduckman 20 Nov 2008 12:51:57 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The reason I haven't kicked up a fuss with Tiscali (yet) is that I am using a BT resold package. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with switching from one BT reseller to another and getting significantly better speeds on a like for like package?

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• iokthemonkey 20 Nov 2008 13:01:06 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    When I was on Sky Broadband I had a constant 24/7 16meg line and an awesome free netgear router. It was ace.

I moved outside a Sky area and switched to Tiscali. Utterly crap. Supposed to be 8meg but crawls along at around 1meg. Ping is reasonable though and XBL gaming works fine. The speed might well be a BT issue but Tiscali customer service is shocking - someone on the telephone there said "I can't be bothered" and hung up on me. How messed up is that?

Edit: Tiscali also provide a very cheap/crappy Thompson router.

I use Sky for my PC Internet (I don't have a 360 but I spotted this post and thought it interesting) and went to them following a year of disgraceful customer service (and shit speeds) from Tiscali.

I was lucky to get download speeds of about 30kbs on a supposed 2.2 connection, yet despite my protests they claimed it was BT's fault. It tooks six months to even get an engineer out and when he checked my line he found not only NO FAULT but also ran HIS BT speed test and pointed out if I was with them and on an 8Mb plan, my connection would be 7.9Mb.

I eventually managed to disentangle myself from Tiscali and went to Sky. For 10 a month I get a 16Mb connection (that usually averages about 15.3) with no restrictions, it's always on and I've had nothing but good times with it.

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• kalel 20 Nov 2008 13:05:32 86,233 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have to say, if you already have Sky TV, the 16Mb for 10 is about the best out there.
  • crispyduckman 20 Nov 2008 13:11:10 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @iokthemonkey

Sky aren't a BT reseller. It's technical and I don't really understand but it's something to do with the fact that most isps buy adsl lines in bulk from BT and resell.

I think Sky do something call local loop unbundling, which means that they provide the adsl line themselves. I think isps who provide full phone services (ie. no BT rental bill at all (inc. some Tiscali plans, talktalk)) or isps with over 8 meg connections all use local loop unbundling.

I may be totally wrong. Anyone?

• nickthegun 20 Nov 2008 13:33:34 58,779 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Have to say, if you already have Sky TV, the 16Mb for 10 is about the best out there.

See, you london based bastards. You dont realise that the rest of the country isnt 'on the sky network' and are not eligible for the huge discount.

He totally called it

• warlockuk 20 Nov 2008 13:37:05 19,131 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm actually in the process of moving to TalkTalk. Got a mate who works for 'em, so he's filling me in on which services have been upgraded to awesomeness and which services they took over are still shit...

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• crispyduckman 20 Nov 2008 13:38:43 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:

See, you london based bastards. You dont realise that the rest of the country isnt 'on the sky network' and are not eligible for the huge discount.
    It's not London only. Interesting use of quotation marks btw.

• nickthegun 20 Nov 2008 13:40:29 58,779 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know, its not london only, but the penetration around the rest of the country isnt huge, I dont think.

He totally called it

• bad09 20 Nov 2008 13:42:09 5,623 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:

This.

I've not had a single problem with Sky broadband, unlike BT who I found to be terrible.
  • FooAtari 20 Nov 2008 14:03:48 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sky's up to 8mb ADSL service is pretty crap in my experience. If you are in an unbundled area and get their 16Mb service it's much better AFAIK, but no such service in Aberdeen yet.

I recently moved from Plus.net to ADSL 24 and my connection went from an average of around 3.3Mb to 4.1 Mb.
  • iokthemonkey 20 Nov 2008 14:07:27 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm actually in the process of moving to TalkTalk. Got a mate who works for 'em, so he's filling me in on which services have been upgraded to awesomeness and which services they took over are still shit...

----

DON'T.

Talk Talk convert your line to a non-BT one (voice over IP, maybe?) and if you want to change ISPs you'll have to have a "proper" phone reconnected, which means your only option is to return to BT.

My brother-in-law has just gone through the whole process and it's been a right pain for him.

• crispyduckman 20 Nov 2008 14:08:06 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    I recently moved from Plus.net to ADSL 24 and my connection went from an average of around 3.3Mb to 4.1 Mb.
    Presumably that's based on contention ratio? It must be damn near impossible to understand/estimate/predict that before you actually sign up. Presumably also depends on geographic location. Can anyone confirm/help?

• iokthemonkey 20 Nov 2008 14:10:12 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @iokthemonkey

Sky aren't a BT reseller. It's technical and I don't really understand but it's something to do with the fact that most isps buy adsl lines in bulk from BT and resell.

I think Sky do something call local loop unbundling, which means that they provide the adsl line themselves. I think isps who provide full phone services (ie. no BT rental bill at all (inc. some Tiscali plans, talktalk)) or isps with over 8 meg connections all use local loop unbundling.

I may be totally wrong. Anyone?

----

I believe BT still "own" the phone network, hence all these things about "you must have a BT line" - basically it means a "land line that's not cable or VoIP" I believe. Whenever there's a fault on your line, it's BT who come out to look at it, regardless of your ISP or phone provider.

With regard to the bundling/unbundling, all I know is - according to the nice Scottish lady at Sky - the reason why my bandwidth allocation is so good is because they don't share it with others, whereas somebody like Tiscali, for example, may stick you on an 8Mb pipe but then there might be another 8 people sharing it with you, so when they're all online, your speeds go down.

Or so is my understanding...

• iancognito 20 Nov 2008 14:28:05 964 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The line from your house to the exchange is the BT copper cable. Sky are allowed to rent that out to you (that's why you can pay for telephone calls and line rental with Sky). To get the faster broadband (over 8 meg) you need an exchange that's been LLU enabled. That's where Sky have put their equipment.

If you can get LLU it's worth having. Seems faster and more reliable.

Have a look on this site to see what LLU is offered

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php
  • crispyduckman 20 Nov 2008 14:30:55 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @iokthemonkey

It's actually easier to think of the phone line service, the phone line physical wires, the adsl service and the adsl physical gubbins as four entirely separate things. Apart from the phone line physical wires, which are owned by BT and run from your local thingy station to your house, they can all be provided by different companies.

The sharing bandwidth you speak of is called contention ratio (I think). That's when either:

- an isp who provides their own adsl service through BT physical adsl gubbins; or
    - an isp who provides their adsl service through their own adsl gubbins,

shares each line with a lot of users. FYI, all "individual" adsl lines are shared to some degree. Theortically though, you'll get better performance with a better contention ratio.

I was curious about the variations in speed between different isps using BT physical adsl gubbins (BT resellers).

Apologies for the liberal use of "gubbins".

• crispyduckman 20 Nov 2008 14:40:06 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This was never really an xbox thread, was it? I think it's out of control now and needs to be humanely put to sleep.

• iokthemonkey 20 Nov 2008 14:45:22 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    gubbinslol

• Gumbo34 11 Dec 2008 15:02:48 106 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go with Be and get the 1.3 upload for 18 fantastic for hosting games on xbox live. moved 3 times and canceld and rejoined with no proble best out there for value had a 17 meg download and its was fast as lightning.

Rgds
    Gumbo34
  • thefilthandthefury 11 Dec 2008 15:04:44 24,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I need exactly the same thing at the moment, but I can't really spend more than 25 a month in total. If there's BT line rental in these it'll cock up my plans a bit, I suspect.
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Dec 2008 15:09:45 39,384 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    O2 easily the best.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• peterfll 11 Dec 2008 15:16:04 488 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Gumbo - that's interesting. I moved from Be a year ago due to their constant throttling of both Live! and PSN.

I've been with O2 since and had no complaints.
  • thefilthandthefury 11 Dec 2008 15:20:18 24,949 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    O2 seems to be getting a lot of praise. As long as they can do a package around 20 then I'm happy! I'll check them out.
  • peterfll 11 Dec 2008 15:30:03 488 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    O2, probably the most reliable service (i.e. no outage) I've ever head with an ISP. Speeds are consistent. No damn throttling.

Be was great until they started throttling both Live! and PSN. That was the only reason I changed. It would take 8 hours to download a demo from Live!
  • Madafunkola 11 Dec 2008 15:30:21 4 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    O2 and Be* are the same thing...
    If you can get a superfast speed with O2, go for it. I've been through TalkTalk, NTL(Virgin), Tesco and BT and O2 are the best I've experienced.
    But this website will help anyone:
    SamKnows
    Search your postcode and they'll work out what and who you can get.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2008 15:37:05
    blizeH wrote:
    ADSL24 ftwmfuwwwwww (or UKFSN, ame thing)
    +1

And you get a decent web/mail host rolled in.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 11 Dec 2008 15:40:50 14,033 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    -Should read the first post before answering.-
  • joey_j 11 Dec 2008 19:11:43 175 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Advise not TalkTalk. its awful, im meant to get 8MB and get 1.6
  • PearOfAnguish 11 Dec 2008 19:51:31 7,133 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair that can be down to the quality of the line and distance from the exchange, but yeah, TalkTalk are shite.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last