Which broadband provider should I go with? Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Deleted user 29 September 2008 19:19:33
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Be*

18 a month, up to 24Mbps, no restrictions, free wireless router. And I think there's an offer on Quidco where you get free connection.

I'm on this package with Be and overall it's been a positive experience (with effecient service and good communication) EXCEPT for the godawful router they give you. My advice is to factor in your costs for a Netgear router.
  • topblood 29 Sep 2008 21:23:55 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DONT GO WITH TALK TALK they suck
  • DodgyPast 29 Sep 2008 22:23:49 8,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually been pretty surprised with the Be router which has so far been pretty reliable.
  • kinky_mong 30 Sep 2008 16:55:20 10,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    it all depends one what is in your area: check here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ and click on "Availability Checker". That'll give you a starting point. Then take a look at: http://dslzoneuk.net/ for reviews.

Did a few checks of availability and I think I can safely say where I'm moving too won't have any problems with it's proximity to the exchange for loads of the providers. Pretty much set on O2 now because I've heard glowing reviews from multiple sources and it will be much cheaper than other providers.

Thanks for the help everyone!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• pistol 30 Sep 2008 17:14:27 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LawrenceArms wrote:
    www.plus.net have been superb for me. I even got Assassin's Creed on 360 for free when I was connected up. :D

Another happy PlusNet user here. They did have a bad rep a few years ago and were very honest about that when I first spoke with them. Touch wood I've had no problems since transfering from Pipex when Tiscali took them over.
  • jay502 1 Oct 2008 19:12:20 4 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    if i was you i would go to bt when i was with bt i had no problems i moved to aol as it was cheaper and i have not lagged so much in my life

go to bt
  • hailstorm 2 Oct 2008 21:03:33 120 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Add me to list of people saying O2 are rather quite great. Support is great. Quick getting everything set up. Router they provided seems relatively stable. They also run on ADSL2 so you get slightly quicker speeds.
  • Law07 2 Oct 2008 21:14:52 267 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    topblood wrote:
    DONT GO WITH TALK TALK they suck

+1
  • sanctusmortis 2 Oct 2008 21:21:50 9,653 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently my area's big on LLU. I'm getting regraded by F2S soon, so hopefully they can stick me on the 16MB stuff \o/
  • WraX 2 Oct 2008 22:09:20 5 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Broadband is either Cable or DSL - get cable if in any way possible. Any ISP who provides DSL has to lease the line off BT (worst company in the UK aside from first great western) which means the whole thing gets screwed up at some point in the process. BT provide rubbish service whether it's to you directly or to your ISP.

I've used Telewest/NTL/Virgin media and always had a nice fast reliable cable connection and great service. Beware though, Virgin will offer you DSL if you are outside their Cable area.

Whether or not cable is available in an area will massively affect my decision to move somewhere or not.
  • Threshall 3 Oct 2008 13:32:44 222 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another vote for O2

Great customer service, good price and speed is fantastic (was getting 1 to 4 meg with Tiscali, steady 7 meg with O2)
  • m0th3rfunk3r 3 Oct 2008 14:49:41 464 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    entanet resellers are the best. full stop.

I used ADSL24

fantastic company. Technical services are excellent at dealing with problems and they know their shit.
  • m0th3rfunk3r 3 Oct 2008 14:53:53 464 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WraX wrote:
    Broadband is either Cable or DSL - get cable if in any way possible. Any ISP who provides DSL has to lease the line off BT (worst company in the UK aside from first great western) which means the whole thing gets screwed up at some point in the process. BT provide rubbish service whether it's to you directly or to your ISP.

I've used Telewest/NTL/Virgin media and always had a nice fast reliable cable connection and great service. Beware though, Virgin will offer you DSL if you are outside their Cable area.

Whether or not cable is available in an area will massively affect my decision to move somewhere or not.

dont listen to this at all.

cable is shit. Its contention ratio is phenominally high and if everyone is on and downloading at the same point as you (occurs freaquently at peak times) then you will receive a cap on your throughput. Not only that but Cable latency is often higher resulting in higher ping times. Companies that provide cable also have shit customer services Virgin, NTL, Tiscale, Blue Yonder.... they are all over priced and crap

I used to have cable provided by virgin 20 meg a second for 37 per month. Average D/L speed was approximately 700KB / sec receiving 20MBps in burst rate only for a maximum sustained period of 7 minutes per login per day.

DSL is a dedicated line, cable is shared. Nuff Said.
  • broadband57 20 Nov 2008 09:24:52 2 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you are interested in good and fast broadband service then check out this , their service is really good .
    http://www.broadband-uk-providers.com
  • broadband57 20 Nov 2008 09:25:52 2 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    I'm moving to a new place in a few weeks and want to sort the broadband out as soon as possible so I can get back on Xbox Live in time for the big releases. Which provider does everyone suggest as the most Xbox Live friendly?

I was with Sky at my old place, and although for the most part I had few problems I was constantly reminded that "the NAT type of your router is moderate and you may experience problems with matchmaking". I also had sporadic problems where i couldn't initiate chat with one of my friends (his NAT type was closed) on some days but other times it was fine.

I know there are ways to open a router's NAT type but not being the most technically savvy person I would rather not jump through loads of hoops and simply have a router with an open NAT out of the box.

hey hi
    If you are interested in good and fast broadband service then check out this , their service is really good .
    http://www.broadband-uk-providers.com
  • Res 20 Nov 2008 09:27:43 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    broadband-uk-providers.com stole my children.
  • Deleted user 20 November 2008 09:28:52
    +1 4 +net
  • crispyduckman 20 Nov 2008 10:39:18 1,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When I was on Sky Broadband I had a constant 24/7 16meg line and an awesome free netgear router. It was ace.

I moved outside a Sky area and switched to Tiscali. Utterly crap. Supposed to be 8meg but crawls along at around 1meg. Ping is reasonable though and XBL gaming works fine. The speed might well be a BT issue but Tiscali customer service is shocking - someone on the telephone there said "I can't be bothered" and hung up on me. How messed up is that?

Edit: Tiscali also provide a very cheap/crappy Thompson router.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Gland 20 Nov 2008 10:45:48 78,481 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Virgin here. Never had a problem aside from some early teething problems.

Maybe 3 days outage in 5 years, no download limits although they do apparently packet shape during office hours, not that I've ever noticed and it's cheap as fuck.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Widge Moderator 20 Nov 2008 10:47:38 13,700 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found Plusnet a DISASTER and have gone with the infinitely superior Be.
    I don't know if Plus are anything like this nowadays, but having to actively monitor my usage every day is NOT the way internet should be.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• NeonAddict 20 Nov 2008 10:52:26 115 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    I'm moving to a new place in a few weeks and want to sort the broadband out as soon as possible so I can get back on Xbox Live in time for the big releases. Which provider does everyone suggest as the most Xbox Live friendly?

I was with Sky at my old place, and although for the most part I had few problems I was constantly reminded that "the NAT type of your router is moderate and you may experience problems with matchmaking". I also had sporadic problems where i couldn't initiate chat with one of my friends (his NAT type was closed) on some days but other times it was fine.

I know there are ways to open a router's NAT type but not being the most technically savvy person I would rather not jump through loads of hoops and simply have a router with an open NAT out of the box.

I would recommend Sky, you might aswell get the 3 package NET/TV/PHONE, and if someone recomends you you get 50 vouchers anyway so you get a bit of a bonus, free router and i have never had problems!
  • coastal 20 Nov 2008 11:04:25 5,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    peterfll wrote:
    I had major problems with Be. They were so obviously throttling both LIVE and PSN. They switched it on earlier in the year, and so using these services went from a pleasure to being seriously painful. I switched to O2 eventually, and they've been great. Slightly cheaper than Be too. Shame, I was with Be three years+.

Perhaps Be have stopped throttling now - so many posters paying compliments?

Peter, you may have learnt in the above posts that you swapped Be with Be.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• kinky_mong 20 Nov 2008 11:58:56 10,466 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Old thread gets resurrected by spammers! Yay!

I went with O2 if anyone is following the ongoing Saga. So far it's been brilliant. There was a slight hiccup with the connection date but it was only by a day and the speed we get is outstanding. It's cheap as well because I'm an existing O2 customer.

Thanks for the recommendations people.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• skuzzbag 20 Nov 2008 12:04:04 5,651 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BT come round our house every year and bum rape me and then my wife and make me watch for asking for a NAT code.

Don't use them!
  • Deleted user 20 November 2008 12:12:28
    crispyduckman wrote:Tiscali customer service is shocking - someone on the telephone there said "I can't be bothered" and hung up on me. How messed up is that?

I used them last year and it was all fine (speed/connection wise), I thought I'd go with them again when I moved but that was a massive error.

Tiscali's customer service is abysmal, its turnaround times for sorting issues is utterly shit, the connection speeds I'm getting fluctuate from 0.5meg up to 5meg.

I've only had a bit of lag in games so far but it's still a ballache when I know there's ISPs in my area which would be far better

I'm so annoyed with myself for ignoring all the warnings. I only have myself to blame though.

If you go for the cheap option, you usually get a shit service. Avoid Tiscali like the plague.

I just hope Tiscali gets bought by BSkyB and things such as the technology and customer service improve.
  • crispyduckman 20 Nov 2008 12:20:58 1,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Old thread gets resurrected by spammers! Yay!

I went with O2 if anyone is following the ongoing Saga. So far it's been brilliant. There was a slight hiccup with the connection date but it was only by a day and the speed we get is outstanding. It's cheap as well because I'm an existing O2 customer.

Thanks for the recommendations people.
    We're no longer interested in what choice you made. This thread is for bitching now.

• nickthegun 20 Nov 2008 12:22:41 60,517 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went with O2 after my service with AOL was so poor, they let me out of my two year contract 13 months early, with no penalty.

Go ISPA complaints!

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 20 November 2008 12:28:44
    I have Virgin in my student house and it's basically pish, have BT at home and it's awesome.
  • crispyduckman 20 Nov 2008 12:37:59 1,886 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I went with O2 after my service with AOL was so poor, they let me out of my two year contract 13 months early, with no penalty.

Go ISPA complaints!
    AOL??? 2 year contract??? WTF???

AOL has had a stinking rep since the old 14.4kbps days. I can't believe they're still around.

• Page

of 6 First / Last