Which broadband provider should I go with? Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • Buztafen 24 Jul 2012 15:12:12 16,234 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used to be O2 which i think used BE's network. Got a mid 20's ping. With Infinity it can be as low as 18, sometimes 20 though. That's with Speedtest using Manchester as a server. If there's a better way to test let me know and i'll give it a whirl.

Edited by Buztafen at 15:14:22 24-07-2012
  • Fat_Pigeon 25 Jul 2012 14:34:33 9,812 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't go with Virgin as a whole there network sucks you will get nice speeds but a shit ton of Jitter...
  • kdsh7 25 Jul 2012 14:59:53 1,173 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks guys - needed some advice and now I think I'll be calling BE this afternoon.
  • BurnoutJunkie 24 Mar 2013 19:42:09 718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hello everyone.

Currently looking to switch ISP. I'm with O2, paying something in the region of 27/month for 20mb broadband but have wised up to the fact that I can't get something like 60MB from BT or Virgin for the same price.

I've been using my own modem because O2's one is crap, but have recently had issues with speed/connection. I don't really game much online (very rare), so am not too fussed about online gaming, but any providers that are decent for it would be welcome.

Any current BT or Virgin users care to comment on their service? I'm aware both come with their own modem/wireless router, so I'd be keen to know how they are.

Thanks.
  • nickthegun 24 Mar 2013 19:50:53 59,940 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The virgin service is good, but the router is absolute shite. You would probably want to stick it in modem mode and use your own.

YMMV, obviously. You hear a lot of horror stories about virgin but its been fine for me for the last six months and before that when I was with NTL.

Probably not the best if you are into your torrents, though as you will need to pay for a vpn to get full speed.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kentmonkey 24 Mar 2013 20:00:12 20,686 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BurnoutJunkie Phone up O2 and tell them you want to leave. They'll give you 12 months free broadband. And if your mobile is with O2 ask them to top it up with 200 credit.

That's the deal I got. Reason being; O2 get a better deal from the migration with Sky if they have more contracts. Because they've had loads of people ask to leave, they're doing everything they can to get maximum resale value from the migration.

When it goes over to Sky, they can only charge you 20% more and no more than that. 20% of zero is...zero. So if they ask you to pay money when they migrate, during that 12 month contract, you can ask to leave with no penalty.
  • BurnoutJunkie 24 Mar 2013 21:27:04 718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the responses, guys.

@kentmonkey - By offering you 12 months free, did they lock you in for another 12 months? Also, may I ask which router you're using? If you're using an O2 one, which one are you using? I may just give this a try.

I'm currently using a Draytek one:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html

It's been very good to me the last few years, but lately I'm wondering if it's this that's causing me issues or my connection. I called up O2 who tested my line and found me getting 14MB speed, so they couldn't find any fault with it. It's connected to an Airport Extreme wireless router. The strange thing about this Draytek router is that it doesn't require a username and password...it somehow just works. I can't seem to log into the router any longer though, through the standard 198.169 etc. URL. The page just won't load (whether connected by wire or wirelessly).

Can anyone recommend a good ADSL modem? I'm not too fussed if it has wireless built in, but would prefer one small in size with a good wireless range, and ideally one whose login page I can access easily.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 24 Mar 2013 21:42:44 9,836 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @BurnoutJunkie I have a D-Link DSL-2740R. Took about 2 minutes to set up and it's excellent.

Just re-read your post, it's an ADSL router but I'm sure it works as a modem too.

Edited by SuperCoolEskimo at 22:01:25 24-03-2013
  • Madder-Max 24 Mar 2013 21:43:57 11,656 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As aid previously virgin is good but router is shit for wireless so I use wired.

Been with virgin for a couple of years, got everything with them including 60 meg 3which it actually isn't but its loads faster than 20) and never had any negative issues with them. Don't get any lag or anything and streaming movies etc is fine. Stay away from sky as I know peoplke with it and they are shit for broadband with useage limits etc. No limits on virgin.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next