Upgrading PS3 HDD Page 3

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• chessboxer 23 Oct 2008 16:38:47 250 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Never happened to me either and I've upgraded twice (250GB last year, 500GB a couple of months ago). Got nearly 200GB of HD content on there now, loads of music, photos, demos (and betas - only 2 are still running now), and some PSN games.
  • rare_uk 23 Oct 2008 16:45:10 3,562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guys, is it true you have to keep the original drive in case you have to get a warranty repair done?
  • chessboxer 23 Oct 2008 16:48:24 250 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Umberty wrote:
    @chessboxer

What 500GB drive did you find to use? The only ones I've found were too thick to fit in the HDD slot, let alone in the HDD caddy as well.
    It's a Samsung M6 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-061-SA).

I hope to upgrade again next year to a 1TB HDD. I'm already worried about running out of space. I have a lot of decent HD content to store on it. 500GB isn't enough...
  • danathjo 3 Nov 2008 13:03:28 7,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Okay, only have about 6 gig left on my 60 now (plus the little lady surprised me and bought Bioshock, bless her but I hear it takes a 5 gig install) anyway...really needing to upgrade.

I already have an external hdd to back stuff up on but i'm already using it for my PC, when backing up to HDD does it need to be formatted to work or can I use my PC external HD and create a ps3 file for it, keeping all my itunes etc stuff for my PC.

Also, will this back up EVERYTHING as in games and demos, music etc or is this just for save files and game data?

Will be doing it either way, just preparring myself to downloading 30 odd gig worth of stuff again (Siren, i'm looking at you mainly).

Cheers for any help!
  • bad09 3 Nov 2008 16:39:11 5,783 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    Okay, only have about 6 gig left on my 60 now (plus the little lady surprised me and bought Bioshock, bless her but I hear it takes a 5 gig install) anyway...really needing to upgrade.

I already have an external hdd to back stuff up on but i'm already using it for my PC, when backing up to HDD does it need to be formatted to work or can I use my PC external HD and create a ps3 file for it, keeping all my itunes etc stuff for my PC.

Also, will this back up EVERYTHING as in games and demos, music etc or is this just for save files and game data?

Will be doing it either way, just preparring myself to downloading 30 odd gig worth of stuff again (Siren, i'm looking at you mainly).

Cheers for any help!

As long as your HDD is formated to FAT32 you can just back up to your external without formatting and loosing anything.

As far as I know/can tell it does back everything including videos/music/games etc. I myself was a little concerned about that as I had used 37gb but my back up file was only 28gb!
  • billythekid 3 Nov 2008 16:45:57 11,109 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep it backs up everything, and as long as the external drive is FAT32 it doesn't matter what else is on there. Can take a while though.
  • urban 3 Nov 2008 16:51:07 10,942 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i just installed a 120gb into my mates 40gb ps3.

wow they've made it so much more complicated than it was on my 60gb

they've changed the caddy, and then you've got to have the update data on a usb external/pen drive to install it on the hard drive, it was a right pain in the arse.

i don't remember it doing that before?

rare uk wrote:
    Guys, is it true you have to keep the original drive in case you have to get a warranty repair done?

no but they suggest it, no point in giving away a bigger hd is there?
  • danathjo 3 Nov 2008 16:52:25 7,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cheers, that helps alot
    just wondering how i can tell if it is formatted to FAT32?

Using windows (NT? 2002 or something like that...donated from my work so can't remember).

Right next pay day, 320 gig coming my way! That should last me for the rest of the PS3's 10 year life span....maybe i'll go for a 500 just to be sure :)

One worry is though, when the PS4 comes round hopefully I can easily transfer everything over. Hope they don't pull a Nintendo and make me buy all the same games all over again!!
  • Craven 3 Nov 2008 17:44:31 388 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Upgraded mine over the weekend from 60 to 320 and apart from the screws being really fucking tight it was pretty straightforward.

Now can anybody reccomend a enclosure for the hard drive? And if so, how will it be powered? USB? Transformer?
  • Santino 4 Nov 2008 15:28:06 399 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    does swapping out the hdd count as one of your activations for your downloaded games?
  • danathjo 17 Nov 2008 13:15:24 7,341 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3516598/Western-Digital-Scorpio-WD3200BEVT-320GB-2-5-Internal-SATA-Hard-Drive-Sony-Playstation-PS3-Compatible/ProductReviews.html

for anyone interested in upgrading (waiting for Friday payday myself to get this, then can finally play Bioshock)

seems like a good deal

edit: shit, just thought...just don't buy them all peoples, wait until i've got mine :)
  • Flying_Pig 17 Nov 2008 21:50:59 10,893 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow - £50 for a 320gb Western Digital Scorpio. Great Price!

Here.
  • Darren 19 Nov 2008 14:02:16 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Although I've had a 160 GB and then 320 GB HDD of the same make (Western Digital Scorpio) installed in my PS3 since it launched last March, with the latter drive I've had a *couple* of error messages during startup, something about the PS3 not finding the correct HDD. Turning the PS3 off then on fixes it. Considering the number of times I've turned my PS3 on, I don't consider this to be an issue but should I be concerned? Is it because of the size that my PS3 occasionally gets confused by it?

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 19 Nov 2008 14:06:18 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    urban wrote:
    ... then you've got to have the update data on a usb external/pen drive to install it on the hard drive, it was a right pain in the arse.

i don't remember it doing that before?

Huh... what is this update you speak of and where do you get it?

Maybe this update is so that the PS3 works better with larger capacity drives (see also my post regarding the error message I've had twice with my 320 GB HDD).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• andijames 19 Nov 2008 14:06:30 2,714 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does FAT32 have problems with larger hard disk sizes? Maybe the PS3 has issues when it uses drives that are very large with FAT32 formatting? Just a thought.

vivir el momento

• andijames 19 Nov 2008 14:07:00 2,714 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DOH

Beaten to it :)

vivir el momento

• Darren 19 Nov 2008 14:37:21 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm wondering if it is some sort of power issue myself as the small capacity drives seem to be free of this issue. In fact, I never saw the error at all in the year that I had the 160 GB but I've seen it twice with my 320 GB which I've had for six months now.

I presume that the larger the capacity of the drive the more power it needs to draw to run it. If the power is lacking then perhaps the drive doesn't spin up fast enough causing the PS3 to think it isn't there. Obviously when you reset the PS3 the HDD is already spinning so it detects it fine the second time.

It could be an issue with the WD Scorpio HDDs thouugh I suppose or indication that the HDD itself is faulty...

• myiagros 19 Nov 2008 14:45:48 1,346 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Craven wrote:
    Upgraded mine over the weekend from 60 to 320 and apart from the screws being really fucking tight it was pretty straightforward.

Now can anybody reccomend a enclosure for the hard drive? And if so, how will it be powered? USB? Transformer?

i got one of these for my spare drive:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5439

Its powered by the same USB cable as used to transfer data.
  • myiagros 19 Nov 2008 14:46:09 1,346 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • X201 19 Nov 2008 14:47:06 15,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't
    /touch wood
    Had a problem with the 320gb in my PS3, but I have had problems getting enough power from the USB on my PC to power an identical drive that I have in a caddy.

• Darren 19 Nov 2008 14:51:25 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For USB powered HDDs you really need one of those 2 x USB cables.

I bought an external HDD, a really cute little thing it was too, a few months back from Tescos for backing up my PS3's HDD to and it came with a dual USB cable. It apparently can work with just one USB cable connected but when I initially tried backing up data to it from my PS3 it failed part way through the backup.

Plugging in both the USBs (thank goodness I have a launch PS3 with 4 USB ports) solved the issue completely and I've been able to backup ever since with no problems at all.

• Sulphur_Man 19 Nov 2008 14:56:18 5 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Wow - £50 for a 320gb Western Digital Scorpio. Great Price!

Here.

Bought. Installed. Happy.
  • X201 20 Nov 2008 13:31:02 15,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    For USB powered HDDs you really need one of those 2 x USB cables.

I bought an external HDD, a really cute little thing it was too, a few months back from Tescos for backing up my PS3's HDD to and it came with a dual USB cable. It apparently can work with just one USB cable connected but when I initially tried backing up data to it from my PS3 it failed part way through the backup.

Plugging in both the USBs (thank goodness I have a launch PS3 with 4 USB ports) solved the issue completely and I've been able to backup ever since with no problems at all.

The USB on my pc just wasn't giving out enough power, In the end I had to use the PS3 USB to power it.
  • 10omarti 12 Dec 2008 12:26:03 227 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    out of interest, would a hard drive with these specs work:
    Western Digital 500GB 2.5" Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 8MB Cache

Perfect condition, only one month old.

To make drive selection simple, we’ve gathered all our popular 5400 RPM WD Scorpio drives under one umbrella we call WD Scorpio Blue. Built to Western Digital’s awarding winning quality standards, these drives are available in a full range of performance features.

Ideal for portable digital devices of all kinds, including notebook computers, external storage, and digital media players.

Product Description WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT - hard drive - 500 GB - SATA-300
    Type Hard drive - internal
    Form Factor 2.5" x 1/8H
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 7 cm x 10 cm x 9.5 mm
    Weight 117 g
    Capacity 500 GB
    Interface Type Serial ATA-300
    Data Transfer Rate 300 MBps
    Spindle Speed 5400 rpm
    Buffer Size 8 MB
    Manufacturer Warranty 3 years warranty
  • KayJay 12 Dec 2008 13:31:25 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It looks like all the right boxes are ticked so I don't see why not...
    2.5" - Tick
    SATA - Tick
    5400rpm - Tick (Although the drive speed can be more, with no apparent problems)

Not seen a 2.5" this big before though. I have a WD 320GB in my PS3.

Hook us up with a Link for this one then.

kj
  • KayJay 12 Dec 2008 14:40:57 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here is a link

Western Digital (WD) Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB 2.5" Internal SATA Hard Drive
  • Flying_Pig 12 Dec 2008 21:28:34 10,893 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have the 320GB one, and it's lovely.
  • oldschoolsoviet 23 Dec 2008 22:59:26 5,460 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Erm, regarding this "update on a USB stick" stuff. Where might one find said FW updates, and when do you use it ? Do you replace the HDD, plug in the USB stick and then fire it up ?
    (I'd assume you'd update the FW before formatting.)

Any links to an idiots guide ?

EDIT: 40GB model.
  • KayJay 24 Dec 2008 09:01:22 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This should help...

PS3 Online Manual

I assume you want to replace your old 40gh HDD and replace it with a larger one. If you just want your saves then pop a USB Memory Stick in one of the USB port and go to your game Saves on the XMB and hit the Triangle button to Copy. You cant do a "Select All" copy here so it will have to be one at a time.

But if you want to (and I would imagine you would) Save your settings, Profile, Game saves, Downloaded games and game data and you have a large enough external HardDrive then you want plug that into your PS3 and use the "Backup Utility" also in the link above.
    I think you are on my PSN friends list so if you are stuck/worried then drop me a chat request and we can talk through it. But the link above should answer most things.

kj

• KayJay 24 Dec 2008 09:06:50 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or... If I have the wrong end of your stick... Which I think I might have looking at your post again... You want to go here and follow your nose.

Download now

And DONT take your HDD out just to upgrade the FW...

Go here for the guide on Firmware Upgrade...

System Update

kj
  • Page

of 9 First / Last