Upgrading PS3 HDD Page 6

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• oldschoolsoviet 9 Jan 2009 13:57:32 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EDIT : @justanotherdave
    System state/firmware I'm unsure about, as I didn't require the update after changing the HDD. 2.53 Update is around 140MB I think though, so small enough to D/L onto the PSP just in case.

Copying all your game saves to the PSP will work, hook it up, press triangle on the Game Save folder, and select the PSP to copy to. You'll get an exact size, but I don't see it being bigger than 1GB.

Bear in mind that not only will you have to reinstall all your games (PSN or disc), but all the updates will have to be downloaded again too - this is the time-killer that an external HDD simplifies.
  • jonsaan 9 Jan 2009 13:59:59 25,352 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't know the PS3 had a backup procedure built in. Sweet. I think I may have to just do the odd one here and there.

FCUTA!

• X201 9 Jan 2009 14:02:32 15,487 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just to make everyone aware.

The PS3 backup routine does not backup trophy information. If you want to make sure that your trophy info is safe you need to create a PSN account. And synchronise trophies before you start the hard drive swap.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2009 14:20:25
    X201 wrote:
    klem578 wrote:
    Ok lads, i'm upgrading to a 320Gb HDD this evening, just to summarize, is this the correct order of the steps included on the whole thing? :

Correct. With a few additions

EDIT: Log in to PSN first and synchronise trophies

1) Back-up the existing PS3 HDD data on a usb stick.
    Edit: Use the PS3's backup routine to do this don't just copy over from the game saves folder etc. It saves settings and file permissions and will also copy protected files.

Best plan is an external hard drive and use the PS3's backup routine to back up everything. Drive will need to be formatted to FAT32

2) Take off the existing 40Gb HDD.
    Be careful with the screws. Use a screwdriver that is a good fit for the screwhead. Apply downward pressure into the screw whilst slowly increasing the turning pressure and eventually the screw will snap free. Same goes for the drive caddy

3) Insert the new (320 Gb) HDD into the PS3.
    yep

4) Restore via usb stick the back-up data of the previous HDD (40Gb) to the new one (320Gb).
    yep

5) Voila', everything set (?)

Synchronise Trophies

Thanks a lot X201, much appreciated mate :)

Will be back later to post my impressions of the whole process after i'm done.

Thanks again boys !
  • Flying_Pig 9 Jan 2009 14:40:48 11,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Best of luck klem. I upgraded last year, have am really pleased I did. Actually a very easy process provided you do everything in the right order.

Also I had not issues with my downloaded Singstar tracks... They're still there.
  • X201 9 Jan 2009 14:43:15 15,487 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @klem

I FORGOT SOMETHING!

Put the kettle on.
    The backup can take ages. :D

• billythekid 9 Jan 2009 14:44:24 11,138 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Best of luck klem. I upgraded last year, have am really pleased I did. Actually a very easy process provided you do everything in the right order.

Also I had not issues with my downloaded Singstar tracks... They're still there.

I had no trouble with my Singstar downloads either, they backed up fine.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2009 19:21:46
    Ok lads, i'm all done, the whole process was piss-easy :)

I had no problems with the small screws or anything, you just have to have the correct size screwdriver and you're good to go (this was actually the only part that i was worried about after listening to some horror stories =P).

The system restore took only 5 minutes, then again, i only had 1.5Gb backed-up on my usb stick,so...

The only thing i'm going to bitch about is that a 320 Gb HDD isn't 320Gb (of course) but 298 give or take and with the PS3 requiring some of the space for system use you're left with 260-something Gb to "use".

Anyway, for anyone that's worried about the whole HDD upgrade process ,don't , it's a very easy thing to do and it will only take you a couple of minutes (taking apart the original HDD and installing the new one).If you have lots of data you'd like to back-up and then restore it will take you more than a couple of minutes of course...

Thanks again for the help provided lads, much appreciated...

Cheerio
  • chessboxer 9 Jan 2009 21:34:44 250 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    klem578 wrote:
    The only thing i'm going to bitch about is that a 320 Gb HDD isn't 320Gb (of course) but 298 give or take and with the PS3 requiring some of the space for system use you're left with 260-something Gb to "use"
    For those who don't know:

Every storage device except for the 650MB and 700MB CD's (going to ignore floppy disks, zip disk and oldere types of storage devices) use commercial MB's instead of real MB's.

Commercial - 1000kB = 1MB. 1000MB = 1GB
    Real - 1024kB = 1MB. 1024MB = 1GB

A blank 320GB HDD is made with only 297.6GB of real space. All HDD's/USB flash drives/Memory stick etc... have 93% of the printed storage.

If you burn stuff to DVD's, you might have noticed that you will never get more than 4.3ishGB/8.2ishGB on a blank single/dual layer DVD which we expect to store 4.7GB/8.5GB.

The 500GB HDD in my PS3 is actually a 465GB HDD. The PS3's OS took up an another 52GB of space and left me with 413GB of usable space after I upgraded last year.

As for the CD, you can store just over 702MB on a 700MB CD without overburning. With overburning, you can store just over 708MB.
  • Flying_Pig 20 Feb 2009 15:35:33 11,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just to let you know that the brilliant 320GB WD Scorpio drive is just 50 on Play.com.

I have this in my PS3 and it's ace!
  • Luckyjim 21 Feb 2009 00:24:17 2,873 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ^^^ I have to agree. Picked this up just after Christmas. Bloody bargain. One warning: Play's packing is shocking. The HDD's just left loose in a much larger box.
  • el_pollo_diablo 23 Feb 2009 10:03:01 2,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agreed about their packaging.
    They sent me an HDD in a jiffy bag.
    I returned it saying "I can't take the risk using this, send me one in a box" and so they sent me another one. In another jiffy bag.

Idiots.
  • oldskool4572 14 Mar 2009 11:18:50 394 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I need some help.

Just backed up some save data, including killzone 2 data, and other game data onto a 4gb usb stick. I used the back up utility.
    Formatted the hard drive and went to restore the data and it says there is no restore data on the stick!

Yet when I put it on the PC it clearly shows the folders "PS3", then "BACKUP" and then "RESTORE" and then the long number file containing the info.

I am pretty pissed off as I may have to start KZ2 all over again along!

Any one have any ideas?
  • El_Draque 14 Mar 2009 11:27:31 132 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iam wrote:
    I think when I did mine, I just browsed to the files on the memory stick, pressed triange and then copied them to the appropriate profile.

I *think*
    This is what you have to do.
  • oldskool4572 14 Mar 2009 11:30:27 394 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Except the hard drive is formatted. No files. And you can't copy certain save data like KZ2 as its protected.

I know this allready guys, but thanks anyway.
  • oldskool4572 14 Mar 2009 11:38:27 394 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If it wasn't big enough it would have failed. Only around 2.5gb I needed to back up. And when I browse the stick on XMB it finds no save files.

Its really annoying.

As I stated before you cannot manually back up KZ2 files. It will not let you. You have to use the back up facility apparently if you want to save them. There are other games with this problem.
  • oldskool4572 14 Mar 2009 13:17:41 394 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, there seems to be differing takes on this problem. Just googled it and got various ideas back.

Try different sticks/hd to see if that will work. Some people have said you can't even back up locked game saves, such as KZ2, whilst others have had no problems.

I am so fucked of with this and Guerilla are wankers for locking their game saves. Sony need to put a stop to this nonsense and developers need to recognise that it will just piss gamers off.

I had a lot of hours invested in KZ2 on MP (up to Lt Col) and now I will have to start from scratch. The idea that backing up your data safely and easily on PS3 is bullshit as far as I'm concerned, as in my case this has been a real headache.

Sony/Guerilla can fuck themselves.

Oh and Res Evil 5 save is locked as well. So fuck Capcom.
  • Deleted user 4 May 2009 12:27:50
    Does anyone know a good external HDD for backing up my PS3? I have the feeling my PS3 is dying (again!).

I was using a memory stick the copy my saves, but half the games are now locked to the HDD.
  • WiseGuy 9 Sep 2009 12:02:35 149 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My 60G is almost out of space and im wanting to upgrade it asap but, like others have said, im kinda bricking it to do it myself (i never played with lego much as a kid and am useless at this kind of thing)

I had thought of an lazy solution and need to know if it will work. I have a 250g hard drive that has never been used, could i format it and keep it attached to the PS3 via USB at all times? If i done this would the system recognise them both at the same time. If this works then i dont need to bother with back up etc etc - just the fact i have the external drive always attached (a price im willing to pay)

So can anyone tell me if my half arsed compromise would work or not?
  • tincanrocket 9 Sep 2009 12:13:07 3,009 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @WiseGuy - that should work for music and movies, but I don't think you'd be able to install or save games to it. Have a look at the instructions to install a new Hard Drive, though - it really is very simple. The key thing is to make sure you have downloaded the latest update and stuck it on a USB drive in the correct folder structure (PS3/UPDATE iirc). Backup your old files (sling them on your external drive for instance), and then it takes literally about five mins to swap out the drives.

Here are some good instructions and here is a bargain new hard drive.
  • ThemisB 9 Sep 2009 12:13:58 2,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oldskool4572 wrote:
    I had a lot of hours invested in KZ2 on MP (up to Lt Col) and now I will have to start from scratch.

All your KZ2 MP stats/unlocks are stored with your profile on GG's servers so you won't have to start again.
  • Progguitarist 9 Sep 2009 12:34:26 10,444 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone know anywhere else apart from play.com that does good deals on a similar HD? Play dont ship overseas :(
  • semtex03 9 Sep 2009 12:35:21 168 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oldskool4572 wrote:
    Well, there seems to be differing takes on this problem. Just googled it and got various ideas back.

Try different sticks/hd to see if that will work. Some people have said you can't even back up locked game saves, such as KZ2, whilst others have had no problems.

I am so fucked of with this and Guerilla are wankers for locking their game saves. Sony need to put a stop to this nonsense and developers need to recognise that it will just piss gamers off.

I had a lot of hours invested in KZ2 on MP (up to Lt Col) and now I will have to start from scratch. The idea that backing up your data safely and easily on PS3 is bullshit as far as I'm concerned, as in my case this has been a real headache.

Sony/Guerilla can fuck themselves.

One thing I've found with USB drives is that the PS3 never used to see all the directories. If I remember correctly, try the triangle button. There should be some additional browsing options in there.
  • WiseGuy 9 Sep 2009 13:03:01 149 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers tincanrocket!
  • Flying_Pig 9 Sep 2009 13:47:22 11,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Does anyone know anywhere else apart from play.com that does good deals on a similar HD? Play dont ship overseas :(

ebuyer.com? Amazon?
  • X201 9 Sep 2009 14:16:27 15,487 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:

CCL will ship to Europe, although you have to contact them via their enquiry screen for Euro shipping.

http://www.cclonline.com/enquiries/enquiry.asp
  • Progguitarist 9 Sep 2009 14:20:09 10,444 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thank you kind sir!
  • X201 23 Sep 2009 11:28:52 15,487 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Swapped the drive in my Slim last night. Very easy to do.

Only thing that slowed me down was the console asking for a memory stick with a firmware update on it.

So I downloaded the firmware and put it on a memory stick. PS3 said that there were no updates. Tried with a different memory stick. Still no data found.

Did a quick search and it turns out that the update file needed to be inside a subdirectory of a subdirectory.

The update PUP file needs to be in a directory called UPDATE and that needs to be inside a directory called PS3 (both must be in caps).

After that was solved the Slim formatted the drive, installed the firmware and started up.
    I restored my backup.
    Synchronised my trophies. All present and correct.

And then treated myself to a game of Dirt 2.

It was at this point that the Dirt 2 trophy system went mental :D
    It awarded me five of the trophies that I'd already won.

I then had a race and it preceded to award me the other 20- odd trophies that I'd already won.

I checked my Trophy List to find that I'd re-won all of my 20-30 trophies but the timestamps showed I had done so inside 5 minutes :D

A quick Trophy Sync restored my original winning dates and times to the trophies.

But for a brief moment last night I was a trophy god :D

• dominalien 23 Sep 2009 12:54:47 6,882 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Not since the patch, it isn't.

Commercial - 1000kB = 1MB. 1000MB = 1GB
    Real - 1024kB = 1MB. 1024MB = 1GB

This is not strictly true. SI defines "giga" as "one million" and this is the correct definition. The terms k, M, G, T have been "appropriated" in IT for binary (i.e. powers of 2) numbers, since they're almost the same (as you say, 1000kB vs 1024 kB), at least when small numbers are concerned, but the differences started growing as HDD space, memory, etc grew.

So recently a new abbreviation was created, kiB, MiB, GiB (kibibyte, mebibyte, gibibyte) etc, which pertains only to power of 2 numbers. Windows XP uses (last time I looked) GB to denote GiB, my Ubuntu does the same thing, but I've seen some programs already use the new notation. Apparently Snow Leopard now uses GB to denote GB, so everyone's HDD space magically increased ;-)

Actually, I'm starting to think Apple's move to start counting MBs, GBs etc in actual millions is a good one from the consumer's point of view, even though personally I don't mind multiplying everything by 1024 like I'd been doing for the past 20 years.

PSN: DonOsito

• breedob 23 Sep 2009 13:20:05 471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm considering swapping my 60 gig for a slim as got the ylod and sony sent me a reurb. I've heard a few people say their refurb only lasted a few months so I'm a bit edgy about it.

Wondering if I can back up all my game updates and save games to a memory stick pro duo and restore to the new slim by connecting a psp?
  • Page

of 9 First / Last