Merlin Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Merlinho 22 Sep 2008 14:42:18 5,909 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Match of the Day, Six Nations, Autumn rugby internationals, Wimbledon, Formula One from next year.

You'd be amazed at how much of the licence fee goes on sports rights...

Edit: and that's not to mention the one-off events this year: Euro 2008 and the Olympics.

PS I'm sure these Pure adverts are breaking my browser.
  • Youthist 22 Sep 2008 14:46:19 10,011 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sport ?! Poor Mans Sky, at best. Match of the Day is appalling, for a start. Wimbledon is good becasue of McEnroe, he saves it. Rugby meh, F1 even more meh.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Merlinho 22 Sep 2008 14:54:08 5,909 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll take BBC rugby coverage over Stuart "most biased man on TV" Barnes and Miles "boring" Harrison any day.

But that's taking this off-topic. Just as another random aside though, you'd be amazed at how much the BBC paid for Heroes, and also for rights to Hollywood movies.
  • Alastair 22 Sep 2008 15:32:16 15,607 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The BBC will never satisfy everyone all of the time.
    I think they do a pretty decent job on the whole. Better than ITV, which is generally bollocks imo. There's definitely enough BBC output that I like for me not to mind paying the licence fee.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Login-Industry 22 Sep 2008 17:38:18 273 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Merlin was - as expected from looking at who they cast in the lead - a big steaming pile. However, this is probably largely because I'm not 10 years old. I noticed Russel T. Davies' name in the credits too which is never a good sign. They used the Mill for the SFX, so they're crap as well and all the cast are kids. They've also taken severe liberties with the traditional Merlin legend.

Heck, I even heard Merlin say "OK" at one point! I know, small you might think, but it's just one more thing that made me think this should be titled something else. More of a "Inspired by or a reimagining of" rather than trying to pass it off as lore.
  • DaisyD 22 Sep 2008 18:25:01 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    The BBC are so frightened of offending any one group or race that they can't do anything remotely challenging. It'll get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

I don't know . . . . I think little miss Jocelyn is pretty offensive.
  • DaisyD 22 Sep 2008 18:26:44 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    BBC can't do much except documentaries to be fair.

What about their joint projects like HBO. Rome was pretty good isn't it? I never saw much of it tbh, but I understood it was ok.
  • M83J01P97 22 Sep 2008 18:28:35 6,597 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:
    The BBC are so frightened of offending any one group or race that they can't do anything remotely challenging. It'll get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

That's a niche BBC 3 comedy. The writers can do what they like with those, but prime time BBC 1 has some stupidly strict guidelines about equality and what not.
  • ecureuil 22 Sep 2008 18:29:37 76,732 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What the hell is the show, why the hell are people watching it and why the hell does anyone care?
  • DaisyD 22 Sep 2008 18:31:02 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:
    jonsaan wrote:

That's a niche BBC 3 comedy. The writers can do what they like with those, but prime time BBC 1 has some stupidly strict guidelines about equality and what not.

It's been on BBC 2 too.
  • Physically_Insane 22 Sep 2008 18:47:43 8,772 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Little Miss Jocelyn was offensive to comedy. Awful show.
  • Shinji 22 Sep 2008 20:29:10 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Login Industry wrote:
    They've also taken severe liberties with the traditional Merlin legend.

I don't particularly want to defend the show, which looks awful, but there are at least a dozen equally valid versions of the "traditional" Merlin legend - a handful of which do actually have him being of contemporary age with Arthur. That's before you even start to count the hundreds of other less well known variations of Arthurian legend (there's at least one I've read in which Merlin and Arthur are brothers).

Whatever about its production values, I don't think it's really fair to knock an Arthurian story for playing with the "canon" - there IS no canon.
  • nickthegun 22 Sep 2008 20:40:06 59,515 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Plus I dont think there was any canon for 'The new and sexy adventures of young merlin'.

Or Hollyoaks: Camelot

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• silentbob 6 Dec 2008 19:28:08 28,956 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Merlin can FUCK OFF too! So they poured money into the shite that was Robin Hood and think: "My word, how can we make use of this stack of generic 'medieval' sets. I know, let's shit all over the Arthurian myths too!!"

BBC and it's viewers are CUNTS!!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Lexx87 6 Dec 2008 19:28:28 20,869 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :D

Speak the truth hussy!

• HiddenAway 14 Dec 2008 21:29:36 14,877 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched every episode and recorded it thinking it was a one-off. How surprised I was to be told that it's returning for a second season at the end of it...

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Timmy 15 Dec 2009 11:21:12 9,031 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think this show is really shaping up now. If they actually let it reach a conclusion and don't make anymore when they do I'll be happy to see what happens.
  • Bremenacht 15 Dec 2009 14:37:37 17,843 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like it. It's less childish than Doctor Who, and it's more consistent too - none of the ups and downs in quality, and none of the wearying campness either. It's just solid, children's entertainment. It also has nice lead actresses for the dads to enjoy - whatserchops from eastenders in the first series and the woman who plays Morganna. hehe.
  • nickthegun 15 Dec 2009 14:40:53 59,515 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I couldnt be arsed with series two after it seemed to be falling into the smallville pattern of Merlin encounters someone with magical powers, merlin uses his own magical powers to help/defeat said person, everyone around who could witness the magic use is knocked out or in a coma.

Is it actually diverging from that now?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• billythekid 15 Dec 2009 14:43:57 11,109 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first half of this series was pretty much the same, but now there seems to be some forwarding of the plot.
  • gamingdave 15 Dec 2009 14:47:02 4,216 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Me and the wife enjoy it. Its stupid, throwaway TV, but on the whole its good fun. Sure every episode plays out with the same structure.

King says to do something, Arthur does something else, Victor Meldrew tells Merlin not to do something, Merlin does it, Merlin gets stuck, Dragon tells him to sort it out, Merlin sorts it out, Arthur thinks Merlin is an idiot, King begrudgingly maybe accepts he was wrong.

But still its good fun, decent production, and not bad plots for Saturday night TV.
  • dr_swin 15 Dec 2009 14:58:31 4,887 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I watch this with my kids. It is nice to have something to watch together. The whole show is pretty irritating though. Uther would surely have topped himself in a pit of despair by now as he never gets anything right. Arthur has a face you want to hit and has nowhere near the sort of presence or gravitas you would expect from him. Gwen is horribly miscast as well.
  • mal 19 Dec 2009 19:49:14 22,470 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ooh, haven't seen today's ep yet. I guess it's like the last season - promising first couple of eps and a decent last two with very little of interest in between.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• HiddenAway 20 Dec 2009 19:57:38 14,877 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Ooh, haven't seen today's ep yet. I guess it's like the last season - promising first couple of eps and a decent last two with very little of interest in between.

Pretty much...

Last episode was superb.

IMO of course...

• mal 21 Dec 2009 23:23:15 22,470 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, just saw the last episode. Rather good, as was the previous one. Probably mainly cos something actually happened to propel the main story onwards, and the main story is actually quite good.

Mind you, the lady and the lake episode was presumably fairly integral to the overall plot (assuming this is canon, as it were) and I didn't enjoy that one much.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• HiddenAway 10 Sep 2010 01:18:56 14,877 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Merlin returns for series 3

Saturday 11th September at 19:25

• Deleted user 18 September 2010 20:04:03
    Harryhauson style skeletons few!!
  • Whizzo 18 Sep 2010 20:06:07 43,093 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't normally have this on but I'm quite enjoying the skellies, the shrug of the shoulders was quite funny.

The D&D player in me is screaming "use blunt weapons you idiots" however.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 3 First / Last