New lad has some questions...

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • sm1979 19 Sep 2008 20:39:18 106 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    and figured this would be the best place to ask.

I'm not wanting to get off on the wrong foot with you guys in here, but unfortunately I can't help it. I'm a bit of a PS3 fanboy I suppose, but would deffo consider getting a 360 for the bedroom now the price is falling. What i'd like to know tho is if the 360 is wireless for connection to the net, and also are the controllers wireless and can charge like the PS3 remotes through the system without the need for any hardware upgrades? Or is it just certain models?

Also, in the bedroom I only have a SD TV so obviously it won't look as good as HDTV but will it look much worse overall?

Any help appreciated, but the smart arses aren't welcome here.

Cheers people ;-)
  • mrblackett 19 Sep 2008 20:43:45 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can get a wireless adapter for your 'net connection. There are two types of controller. Wired and wireless. You can buy rechargeable packs for the wireless controllers separately and they charge via USB cables that come with the batteries. You can also use AA batteries but only fuckwits do that.

As for picture quality, what does your PS3 look like through your SD TV? The 360 is about the same.

Hope that helps.
  • THFourteen 19 Sep 2008 20:44:34 32,904 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you need a wireless adaptor (official one is 60 quid or so) to get on the net without cables

and you'll need a "plug and charge kit" to charge your controller, its a wire that plugs into your ocnsole and your controller

SD will look poopy.
  • sm1979 19 Sep 2008 20:47:32 106 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrblackett wrote:
    You can get a wireless adapter for your 'net connection. There are two types of controller. Wired and wireless. You can buy rechargeable packs for the wireless controllers separately and they charge via USB cables that come with the batteries. You can also use AA batteries but only fuckwits do that.

As for picture quality, what does your PS3 look like through your SD TV? The 360 is about the same.

Hope that helps.

Thanks alot for that mate. My PS3 is in the room through HD so cant compare unfortunately. Well considering I can buy a 360 premium with 60Gb HD and 2 games for 170, i'm definitely thinking I ought to get one. The battery pack sounds a good idea too, if they're not too expensive that is - although it's bound to be better than persistently using AA batteries.

Thanks again mate!
  • sm1979 19 Sep 2008 20:48:55 106 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    you need a wireless adaptor (official one is 60 quid or so) to get on the net without cables

and you'll need a "plug and charge kit" to charge your controller, its a wire that plugs into your ocnsole and your controller

SD will look poopy.

Thanks for your comment too mate - i'm a bit put off now by the SD comment. Might stick to my PS2 in bedroom for time being. Looks like I got some thinking to do.
  • thenastypasty 19 Sep 2008 20:49:33 5,180 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    if your getting a 360 get the pro console its good value , you need a wireless adaptor to play wireless which is quite pricey the 360 is really good t sd tv ,welcome from the darkside!!
  • mrblackett 19 Sep 2008 20:50:12 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No problem. Fanboyism aside, there really isn't much difference. Both have flaws. Both have plenty to get excited about. It's a lot like having a car that goes 400 miles an hour and a car that goes 405. One car is faster but the slower one is still pretty fucking fast.
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 20:50:16
    The 360 is for chavs and paedos who are too downmarket for a Wii.

/kicks off shoes
  • mrblackett 19 Sep 2008 20:51:46 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:

/kicks off shoes

Well that's good because I'm a chav and a paedo who can't afford a Wii.

/kicks off trainers that he stole
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 20:52:47
    mrblackett wrote:
    One car is faster but the slower one is still pretty fucking fast.

But you won't look at the slower one in the same way, it will always be somewhat lesser in your eyes.
  • ronuds 19 Sep 2008 20:53:00 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It also depends on how old your SDTV is. If your SD can take component cables, it doesn't look all that bad at all. Maybe in comparison to HD you'll think so, but all-in-all it's solid.

I've been playing on an SDTV since I bought the console 2 years ago and I'm no worse off for it!

You HD elitist bastards!! :p
  • thenastypasty 19 Sep 2008 20:54:39 5,180 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:

/kicks off shoes

get back to eastenders you dick!
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 20:55:16
    But I don't own a 360
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 20:56:09
    It is obvious it won't look good in SD as it does in HD, but if you haven't experienced the games HD you aren't going to miss it are you.
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 20:56:49
    prawnking wrote:
    It is obvious it won't look good in SD as it does in HD, but if you haven't experienced the games HD you aren't going to miss it are you.

Unless you're playing Dead Rising and have to squint horribly at the in-game text.
  • SpikeRocks 19 Sep 2008 20:57:33 50 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrblackett wrote:

Hope that helps.

You just called me a fuckwit :'(
  • thenastypasty 19 Sep 2008 20:58:16 5,180 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    why are you in this thread then!you prick!!
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 20:58:20
    There is that, but it is not very good anyway.
  • Lukus 19 Sep 2008 20:59:15 19,007 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sm1979 wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

SD will look poopy.

Thanks for your comment too mate - i'm a bit put off now by the SD comment. Might stick to my PS2 in bedroom for time being. Looks like I got some thinking to do.

The 360 looks great in SD, much better than the PS2, though obviously not as good as it would look in HD.

Paintings & Photographs

• peterfll 19 Sep 2008 21:00:42 488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How big is the SD TV? You only really start to appriciate HD on a TV once they start getting bigger than 28, 30 inches.

/takes off pants
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 21:00:50
    thenastypasty wrote:
    why are you in this thread then!you prick!!

And now I make the fishhook in mouth gesture.
  • Retroid Moderator 19 Sep 2008 21:01:32 44,503 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HD will kick arse, SD is horrible. When I first got my PS3 I was using it on an SD telly (RGB scart, though, not the bloody awful composite cables you get with it) and I kept thinking I was getting eyestrain.... everything on the PS3 presumes you have HD, so it tends to look indistinct on SD. In my experience, anyway. Resistance was bad for that.

If you get a Premium (60gb) you'll get an ethernet cable, wireless controller, component/composite (switchable so usable for both) AV cable and a headset which plugs into the controller for online. You'll also get a month's free Xbox Live Gold membership which'll allow you to play online, after a month it'll lapse to Silver which'll still allow you to download & buy stuff online.

Remember: the 360 also has reasonable backwards compatibility with the original Xbox :)

They're both good machines with their plusses and minuses. Enjoy :)
  • Lukus 19 Sep 2008 21:02:24 19,007 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FAO Gremmi:

sm1979 wrote:
    .. but the smart arses aren't welcome here.

Paintings & Photographs

• thenastypasty 19 Sep 2008 21:03:18 5,180 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    well caught ! but thats what i get for having a drink and then posting on here !
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 21:04:35
    FAO Lukus:

Gremmi wrote:
    I like Lukus
  • ecureuil 19 Sep 2008 21:05:55 76,547 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hate playing both 360 and PS3 on SD. Some people can get on with it better than others, but personally I wouldn't even bother if I couldn't get them in HD.
  • mrblackett 19 Sep 2008 21:06:07 856 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SpikeRocks wrote:
    mrblackett wrote:

Hope that helps.

You just called me a fuckwit :'(

I didn't mean to hurt your feeling but, you know, it's 13 for a plug and play kit...you big fuckwit.
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 21:07:45
    Newer games are also a bit dodgy in SD - a lot of shooters for example are becoming more and more reliant on targeting things in the distance. What would be a recognisable shape in HD becomes a tiny blurred dot in SD.
  • thenastypasty 19 Sep 2008 21:08:29 5,180 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I hate playing both 360 and PS3 on SD. Some people can get on with it better than others, but personally I wouldn't even bother if I couldn't get them in HD.

go away !
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous