Why didn't Shigsy like Donkey Kong Country?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • famous_roy 19 Sep 2008 11:15:09 4,102 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The music was awesome, smooth superb gameplay and groundbreaking graphics. I'm thinking he was jealous.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Lexx87 19 Sep 2008 11:16:10 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Am I missing where this has come from?

Speak the truth hussy!

• famous_roy 19 Sep 2008 11:20:59 4,102 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Random musing, was just listening to some of the superb remixes from Smash bros Brawl and suddenly became frustrated at the fact Shigsy dismissed it.

• kalel 19 Sep 2008 11:24:02 87,683 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I suspect itís because DKC, although never made explicitly clear, was fairly obviously Nintendo/Rareís attempt to get a little of that SEGA money.

DKC was the ninty answer to Sonic imo, and took a very very similar approach.
  • Retroid Moderator 19 Sep 2008 11:44:13 44,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /Thought the DKC games were all fur coat and no knickers
  • JuanKerr 19 Sep 2008 11:45:52 36,248 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved DKC and I'm glad I did too - paid 50 fucking quid for it.
  • BanjoMan 19 Sep 2008 11:49:02 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought this was going to be a joke.

:(

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Cappy 19 Sep 2008 11:52:05 11,940 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably because they weren't really that good.
  • famous_roy 19 Sep 2008 12:01:08 4,102 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

/pelts with golden animal trophies

Really, the first two DKC games are among my favourite platformers ever, cant beat the snow world of DKC one!

• Kay 19 Sep 2008 12:03:06 17,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some of the platform mechanics weren't ideal, but in terms of variety, music and general presentation, they were class games. Not as good as Mario mind, but still very good.

K
  • Retroid Moderator 19 Sep 2008 12:11:41 44,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They were good technical showcases for the SNES, but otherwise they were fairly ordinary platformers.
  • Cappy 19 Sep 2008 12:18:55 11,940 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    famous_roy wrote:
    /pelts with golden animal trophies!

Ouch!

They're not bad games, they serve the needs of the audience they were created primarily for very well... But taking a wider view they just lack the spark and creativity that a lot of other platformers had. Playable, but not the best.

Rare have always been great at showing off technology but a lot of their games were lacking, going back all the way to their days as Ultimate. They made Knight Lore but you then had to wait for Head Over Heels so that you could get the idea properly executed and fun to play.

The real reason I would stick them in the pillory though is for introducing renders instead of sprites drawn by real artists, to the discerning eye the animation is crude and the characters have a soulless quality, they're miles from being great sprites. Fortunately it never caught on entirely and beautifully drawn sprite games such Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire can still be found today though renders have taken over on all the low end stuff now.
  • Razz 19 Sep 2008 12:24:00 61,202 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I suspect itís because DKC, although never made explicitly clear, was fairly obviously Nintendo/Rareís attempt to get a little of that SEGA money.

In what way?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• DFawkes 19 Sep 2008 12:26:05 22,968 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really, really like DKC, but I always felt they took them too far with the sequels. Too many just with the same engine - if you hadn't played the games enough to know what all the levels looked like, you couldn't tell they were different games from screenshots.

Compare this to Super Mario Bros 1-3 (UK versions, my reasoning crmbles away if you use Lost Levels) which all look totally different, or Super Mario World 1 & 2, worlds apart artistically.

I forget what my point was. I liked DKC1 and Shigsy Boy was jealous, then they overdid it.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• kalel 19 Sep 2008 12:30:20 87,683 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    kalel wrote:

In what way?

Iíd have thought it was obvious really. DKC is basically a slightly slower version of Sonic. The gameplay is almost identical, and very different to the measured platforming style you get in Shigsyís games.
  • Razz 19 Sep 2008 12:37:21 61,202 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    kalel wrote:

In what way?

Iíd have thought it was obvious really. DKC is basically a slightly slower version of Sonic. The gameplay is almost identical, and very different to the measured platforming style you get in Shigsyís games.
    But Sonic was all about speed, getting from the start to end as fast as possible. DKC didn't even have a level clock afair(emember). DKC was all about collecting all of the Letters, ballons, and discovering all of the bananas. Imo, DKC is nothing like sonic, the comparison is far from obvious. It was wasn't even stylistically similar. The only similarity, imo, is that they're both platformers and share most of the foundations that all platformers share.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Onny 19 Sep 2008 12:41:19 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    kalel wrote:

In what way?

But Sonic was all about speed, getting from the start to end as fast as possible. DKC didn't even have a level clock afair(emember). DKC was all about collecting all of the Letters, ballons, and discovering all of the bananas. Imo, DKC is nothing like sonic, the comparison is far from obvious. It was wasn't even stylistically similar. The only similarity, imo, is that they're both platformers and share most of the foundations that all platformers share.

+1.

Also, game progression in DKC is very similar to SMB3/SMW, not at all like Sonic's more linear quest.
  • Xerx3s 19 Sep 2008 12:41:40 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:

And in that they where the best platformers on the snes by a country mile.
  • Carrybagma 19 Sep 2008 12:50:44 3,904 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BanjoMan wrote:
    I thought this was going to be a joke.

:(
    Donkey Kong Cuntery arf arf
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 12:59:03
    It seemed rather soulless to me. Perhaps Mr. Miyamoto thought the same.
  • Collymilad 19 Sep 2008 13:02:17 1,266 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DKC was amazing.

I'm thinking Jealousy. Yes.
  • kalel 19 Sep 2008 13:05:10 87,683 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    kalel wrote:

In what way?

First time I played DKC I was immediately reminded of Sonic in many ways. From the general tone (spunky animal character) to the graphics (psedu-3d effect). Furthermore the actual gameplay, although not quite as fast, is much more like Sonic than say, Mario. Itís faster, and the way the bananas are placed to suggest a certain route is very much like the rings in Sonic.

I think you may be taking me a bit too literally, things like it not having a clock are sort of minor points. As I say, to me itís pretty obvious that Ninty saw that most people were either Mario or Sonic people, and attempted to make a game that would perhaps capture some of those that preferred Sonicís approach to platforming.
  • Pirotic Moderator 19 Sep 2008 13:05:56 20,647 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's all bullshit, Nintendo keep Miyamoto pretty reclusive so he rarely (pun intended) gets to try out games other than the ones he's working on, and while he's passionate about making games, he's not really a gamer himself. He might try the odd puzzler on the DS but that's about as far his his knowledge goes of games other than Nintendo.

The early rare titles were an exception to this rule, Nintendo paid very close attention to what was happening with the first DK game and Miyamoto had direct input to the character designs. After the second game they stopped giving a shit and left Rare to it, which explains the downturn in quality after that.

If he was going to hate on a Rare game, it would of been Banjo anyway. That blatantly ripped off Mario 64, at least DK felt original in it's own way (other than a few blatant Sonic homages).
  • thefilthandthefury 19 Sep 2008 14:09:01 25,020 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The original Sonic games weren't really about speed at all. You'd miss out on half of the game if you just ran for it.
  • Menace 19 Sep 2008 14:24:20 5,750 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hate the mario 2D platformers.. And Sonic. Mario64 was great though (at the time).

www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

• Futaba 19 Sep 2008 14:49:26 3,511 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked DKC a lot, I never owned it but I loved playing it round mates. I even have the catchy music playing in my head as I read this thread.

thefilthandthefury wrote:
    The original Sonic games weren't really about speed at all. You'd miss out on half of the game if you just ran for it.

Guess you were playing the 50Hz version too, huh? :(

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• famous_roy 24 Sep 2008 20:28:29 4,102 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    In my top three platformers on the SNES next to Mario World and Yoshi's Island.

Awesome, awesome, awesome game.

This.

• agentk1986 28 Oct 2008 17:26:15 56 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DKC1 and DKC2 were my two favourite games on the SNES! I actually played DKC2 before the first game. The third one, however, doesn't need to be mentioned, as it was mostly tedious and dull. DK64, while excellent in design, wasn't much fun imo because a lot of the minigames were irritating and difficult, and too much collecting!

I don't think it matters whether you were playing Sonic at 50Hz or 60Hz, the speed element did not add to the fun and the game always felt like it was trying to rush you through every level. Sonic is not my cup of tea.
  • DodgyPast 28 Oct 2008 17:42:08 8,468 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    famous_roy wrote:
    Cappy wrote:

/pelts with golden animal trophies

Really, the first two DKC games are among my favourite platformers ever, cant beat the snow world of DKC one!
    That just made the music play in my mind. Was rather superb.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous