360 gimps RAGE

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Zappa 17 Sep 2008 01:34:54 304 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WTF is all I can say, stupid xbox and its inferior dvd gimping both PC and PS3!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169963

During his Austin Game Developers Conference discussion on storytelling and technology, id Software lead designer Tim Willits the developer is cutting back on the amount of content they would have liked to include in their upcoming shooter Rage. The main reason for limiting the game's content is the Xbox 360's limited disc storage, which allows about six to eight GB of data.

"The PC is limitless in the amount of data you can put on it," said Willits. "The PS3 has about 25GB. But the Xbox 360 roughly has 6 to 8 GB of data. We're hoping we can squeeze the game down to two discs for the 360 version."

According to Willits, the game was supposed to feature several wastelands for the player to explore. Because of the limitations of the Xbox 360's media, they had to cut down the wastelands to only two, which are themselves split into multiple instances. These changes have been made across all versions of Rage, not just the 360 port.

"I wouldn't say the overall story was changed in any way in order to fit on the Xbox 360 version," Willits said, "but how the player experiences Rage's story has been altered." Unfortunately, that means the experience has been altered across all platforms. This is one of the first signs we've received of the 360's older DVD media showing its age, but we expect some fans won't be terribly pleased that it's affecting other versions of the game as well.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2008 01:37:49
    Hey, at least the stupid DVD drive doesn't scratch my discs to buggery like the 2 PS3's I've had.

Fuck Blu-ray.
  • Zappa 17 Sep 2008 01:40:18 304 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bluray is scratch resistant dvd is not.

try harder ..lol
  • Deleted user 17 September 2008 01:40:58
    Shut it, Frank.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2008 01:42:45
    Yea I was gutted to hear about that. I had planned to move the 360 whilst the disc was playing but now I can't. -_-

/furious
  • Zappa 17 Sep 2008 01:44:43 304 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dvd is crap you cant even wipe one with a shirt without a scratch.
  • Articulate-Troll 17 Sep 2008 01:46:03 3,104 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If games developers had their way, the current crop of consoles would all have 6 GHz processors with 100 terabytes of storage. The mark of a good developer is the ability to work within the limitations of the consoles, so if the game ends up broken or incomplete then it will be Willits' fault, and no one else's.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2008 01:47:50
    Yup.
  • Zappa 17 Sep 2008 01:51:26 304 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Articulate-Troll wrote:
    If games developers had their way, the current crop of consoles would all have 6 GHz processors with 100 terabytes of storage. The mark of a good developer is the ability to work within the limitations of the consoles, so if the game ends up broken or incomplete then it will be Willits' fault, and no one else's.

How is it his fault crap 360 only holds like 7 gigs.

The megatexture tech is all about massive amounts of gigs.
  • JYM60 17 Sep 2008 01:54:00 16,755 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good thread.

Grimp.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Ryze 17 Sep 2008 01:54:56 3,107 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zappa wrote:

try harder ..lol

wrong.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2008 01:56:35
    360 uses the DVD format for its software, right? Lots of very good games out on the 360. They look great and everything.

:shock:
  • Articulate-Troll 17 Sep 2008 02:00:35 3,104 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Practically every major game that's come on the 360 has only used 1 disc - games that no one would have bought if the console had come out a year later with a hugely inflated price tag for the sake of extra technology to accommodate a few whiny developers.
  • Zappa 17 Sep 2008 02:02:06 304 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    Zappa wrote:

try harder ..lol

wrong.

lol wut? Joystiq did a test and steel wool scratching did nothing and it still worked:)
  • Zappa 17 Sep 2008 02:10:15 304 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disc wrote:
    The PS3 bluray discs have some coating applied to them just as the 360 dvds also have. But they can both be scratched.

Neither is immune.

your wrong, BD has a hard coating because the data is closer to the surface.dvd has none.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2008 02:11:57
    disc wrote:
    N@: Do you think those games could look better if the developers had more storage to use?

:)

I know they'd take longer to develop. Games already take too long to develop.

/impatient

And actually, no, for the most part I don't think they would look better. Simply having more storage space isn't enough to have any significant impact on visuals.

In the future when games are developed by sentient robots that don't need to sleep and when the hardware is sufficiently powerful enough, maybe BR will be useful. Until that time it can be used for pointless stuff like the bizarre television channels found at the start of MGS4.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2008 02:17:08
    Oh, I thought more detailed textures ect would take longer to draw or whatever.
  • Zappa 17 Sep 2008 02:18:46 304 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    N@ wrote:
    disc wrote:
    N@: Do you think those games could look better if the developers had more storage to use?

:)

I know they'd take longer to develop. Games already take too long to develop.

/impatient

And actually, no, for the most part I don't think they would look better. Simply having more storage space isn't enough to have any significant impact on visuals.

In the future when games are developed by sentient robots that don't need to sleep and when the hardware is sufficiently powerful enough, maybe BR will be useful. Until that time it can be used for pointless stuff like the bizarre television channels found at the start of MGS4.

Maybe you should read up on megatextures.

The tech allows you to add as much as you want with no performance hit. As long as you have time and gigs you can keep adding stuff to make a game look better.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2008 02:25:48
    Well if games don't take longer to develop then that's fine. The next Xbox will surely use BR, just a faster drive with no disc scratching features.
  • Khanivor 17 Sep 2008 03:46:35 39,891 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So basically consoleslol then. Fucking consoles and their limited storage fucking up my PC games. FFS.
  • Fatiguez 17 Sep 2008 05:01:35 8,655 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    So basically consoleslol then. Fucking consoles and their limited storage fucking up my PC games. FFS.

Exactly. I mean, there's no point even having Rage on the 360, because FPS games are fucking shite on consoles.
  • Fatiguez 17 Sep 2008 05:20:49 8,655 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OK then, they should just put the driving bits on a separate disc and release that on the 360. Maybe it'd have enough storage if they did that.
  • morriss 17 Sep 2008 06:36:18 70,749 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love Zappa's threads.
  • morriss 17 Sep 2008 07:03:21 70,749 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, disc. The 360 is gimping games. Can't you read?!
  • morriss 17 Sep 2008 07:58:19 70,749 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...and that's that little story put to bed.

Unlucky Zappa. Nice try.
  • Grunk 17 Sep 2008 08:09:19 4,718 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zappa wrote:

try harder ..lol

send me your blu-ray movies/games. I will return them scratched for you.
  • phAge 17 Sep 2008 08:30:11 24,280 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another terrible setback for Team Retard™.

How sad.
  • Deleted user 17 September 2008 09:04:04
    ... and he's gone.

Well, developers can't seem to finish games properly that fit on one single DVD these days, let alone fill a Blu-ray with giant textures the PS3 can't display.

Oh, it's all bollocks anyway. Move along lads.

Morriss' regularly whored news site reported -
    Willits fired back angrily after the story went web-wide, telling Shacknews, “There was NO CONTENT removed from RAGE because of the 360–NONE AT ALL. We feel the 360 is a great platform and will provide a fantastic Rage experience.”

Given the name of the game and the way this is written, fantastic stuff...
  • Der_tolle_Emil 17 Sep 2008 09:48:02 7,294 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zappa wrote:
    Articulate-Troll wrote:

How is it his fault crap 360 only holds like 7 gigs.

My self programmed engine looks like the real world how is it my fault the crap pcs can't handle 500000 etaflops.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous