Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Page 28

• Page

of 29 First / Last

• FanBoysSuck 27 Sep 2011 17:09:15 1,538 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah loving multi and apart form the odd laggy match it's all good :)

edit : as in still lots of people playing lol

For the emperor!

• Cardiff1 27 Sep 2011 17:39:22 22 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I'd really love to 1000G this game, the limited weapon achievements in particular are great fun. But there are a couple of achievements I just can't see happening. Shoot 50 raptors out of the sky is far from straighforward as the jumpy buggers are never up thee long enough in my experience. But complete all the weapons challenges... yikes.

I've not got the 50 Death from below kills but I must be close. These are the ways I do it:

Splash damage from the plasma Cannon.
    Sneaking up behind with the Vengeance Launcher.
    Exploding Backpack perk.

Don't think I've actually shot anyone down yet.
  • Cardiff1 27 Sep 2011 18:29:05 22 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • figaro7 17 Oct 2011 12:06:40 1,385 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Late to the party but i blasted through the single player in a few sittings and it was a err.. blast! it is rough around the edges though!
  • LeoliansBro 17 Oct 2011 12:11:35 44,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Go try multiplayer now!

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• TechnoHippy 17 Oct 2011 12:35:46 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I need to go back to this. I'm currently stuck at the top of some lift and keep getting killed. However work kept interfering, now I shall hopefully have time to crave me some Ork souveniers :-)

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TechnoHippy 18 Oct 2011 19:36:35 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Battling my way through the tunnels made me wish they would do a Space Hulk game.

• Phattso Moderator 23 Oct 2011 13:42:12 13,924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've rented this - having been put off by the demo - and I suddenly wish the demo had been the opening section of the game. It nailed the "I'm a fucking well hard space marine, bring it on" in much the same way as that Dawn of War opening cinematic back in the day.

But at the same time I'm thankful that the demo put me off, because in inheriting Vigil's work in the form of the Darksiders engine they've also inherited all the fucking bollocks that goes with it. Mainly unresponsive controls.

Having just spent five attempts in a row being killed in Chapter 4 (on board the battering ram, trying to take down the dropship with the Plasma Cannon) simply because pressing 'B' didn't in fact detach me from the turret in a timely fashion, fuck that - it's just not fun.

It also does the button masher game trick of having half an hour of piss easy encounters followed by a bastard hard 'gating' encounter. Learn a new trick, boys, it's 2011. Make it a fun challenge throughout or fuck off.

Which is a shame, because the jump pack a couple of chapters previously had me grinning like a loon and not minding the linear trudge through uninspiring environment (although it nails the sense of scale nicely) or the relative simplicity of the melee combat.

Just needed a few tweaks, and the formula would've worked for me. As it is, it's going back on Monday uncompleted. :(
  • Gl3n Moderator 23 Oct 2011 13:58:56 5,953 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phattso you old codger, you seldom like anything :)
  • Phattso Moderator 23 Oct 2011 14:01:16 13,924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh apparently this one turret, unlike the others in the game (and other games) has infinite ammo when detached. More than a little obtuse, but at least I'm onto Part II now. :-/
  • Phattso Moderator 23 Oct 2011 14:02:09 13,924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gl3n wrote:
    Phattso you old codger, you seldom like anything :)

Heh. I'm liking Forza 4 and, to a point, Dead Island. Loving Arkham City. So a 25% misery-guts rating on this weekend's gaming is damned good for me. :)
  • TechnoHippy 23 Oct 2011 14:05:44 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So Chaos have arrived and I did enjoy the War Boss' little moment. I'm sure we'll see him again before the end :-) I'm stomping about with a big hammer that is most satisfying to use.

I really want these guys to do a Space Hulk game :-)

• Phattso Moderator 23 Oct 2011 14:06:57 13,924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:

The best Space Hulk game was already released, on mobile, back in the J2ME days in 2004.

/moment of glory

;-)
  • TechnoHippy 24 Oct 2011 10:50:41 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The best Space Hulk game was already released, on mobile, back in the J2ME days in 2004.

/moment of glory

;-)
    Don't think I ever played that, was it based on the old PC/Amiga game? Or something different?

Anyway the Ork Boss is now dead and his Chaos chums will be next :-)

• Phattso Moderator 24 Oct 2011 10:54:27 13,924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was a brand new adaptation of the original board game. Had a top down 2D tactical game that was, in fact, the full rule set of the board game and had all of the original missions/scenarios. Then, for the graphics whores of the time, a first person raycast 3D mode on the same maps but with arcade shooter play. Damn but I loved that game, although I might've made the AI just a little bit too effective.

/game over on turn three as Terminators yet again

Anyways... got to Chapter 9 on Space Marine yesterday. Really wish they'd given the Nobz more than three samples of them going "WAAAAARGH!" as by the end of some of the larger encounters I was ready to put my foot through the speakers.
  • Bleh 26 Oct 2011 09:08:59 248 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Exterminatus is available for download, at least for the PS3. When you start the game it will download patch 1.03. Played some yesterday and it seems pretty nice, need some more time with it of course to make a final judgement.
  • TechnoHippy 26 Oct 2011 09:17:13 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I'm nearing the end now, but I have to say the battle getting to the spire was a definite high point to the game. With hammer and bolter I did purge the heretics. Seldom have I felt so powerful in a game. Great stuff :-)

• Phattso Moderator 26 Oct 2011 10:09:37 13,924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, at Chapter 13 myself now (of 16, I think) so closing in on the end. It does do a great rendition of being a badass near-invincible killing machine, while still being vulnerable to bad decision making and swarming.

I was pleased that the checkpointing in the middle of some boss encounters,specicially in Chapter 12 with the Warboss where it was split into three distinct phases.

Dunno how I've missed some of the skulls, though - I've been scouring every inch of most levels and I've still missed 4 or 5 so far. At least there's a chapter select if I decide to whore the achievement later.

On that subject, I broke 50,000GP last night. It was the achievement for killing ten Nobz that pushed me over the edge. How appropriate. ;)
  • Phattso Moderator 30 Oct 2011 11:26:40 13,924 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aaand just put this to bed. Shame that the very final boss encounter suffered from the same lack of consistency as the earlier encounter that caused me such frustration in Chapter 4 but overall I'm pleased I stuck with it.

Its greatest success is also its greatest failure: it makes the player feel like an ultimate badass, almost unstoppable, a juggernaut of destruction. Which is what makes it so hard to swallow that the squad mates are such steaming turds. They contribute very little to the combat, they often get in the way, and they're just generally shit. Very much not what Space Marines should be. Ho hum.

Had a quick dive into the multiplayer and it seemed like there was potential there, but not enough to make me go and purchase the game (rental copy - without the code can't progress past level 5). I even couldn't be bothered to play through the three chapters where I missed the collectibles which probably says enough.

The game's nice and cheap now - well worth a play through, or a rental - but some distance from the essential purchase the early coverage had suggested it might be. Even for a painty figure old school Games Workshop nerd like me.
  • outy 30 Oct 2011 11:39:18 9 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Purchased and completed the game using Onlive, best quid I ever spent!
  • TechnoHippy 30 Oct 2011 11:55:54 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hate boss battles with a passion, so I was happy that the boss battle didn't end up oa frustrating slog.

• telboy007 7 Nov 2011 13:38:33 698 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Exterminatus is great fun, managed to get to the bonus wave in one game - fecking tricky I tells ya.

I'm playing this instead of BF3, thats how much I'm enjoying the co-op mode.

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• robthehermit 6 Feb 2012 14:26:30 4,319 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spent 30 minutes with this at lunchtime, it's a lot of fun. I think I'm going to enjoy this one.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• the_dudefather 6 Feb 2012 14:36:35 9,417 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished this the other week

That 'oh noes, the inquistor was bad the whole time' twist was so bad, especially the outright denial the ultramarines show

'your time of carrying the mcguffin is almost at an end ultramarines...muhahaha'
    'No inquisitor, don't walk towards that chaos space marine, he's a bad guy! no! don't knell before him, he might hit you in the face or something!'

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• agparrot 14 Mar 2012 13:44:45 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Purely out of curiosity, I clicked on the Games On Demand tab to see how much they are charging for the downloadable version on the 360.

It's 44.99, and presumably this doesn't include the online pass thingy, if it works the same way as the other games on the service that require them?

Given that you can buy the game, including pass, for 7.95 or something on Zavvi, that seemed a little exhorbitant.
  • Trafford 14 Mar 2012 19:23:23 5,969 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's a lot for the empire.
  • TechnoHippy 14 Mar 2012 19:38:55 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Damn I was hoping this was news of a new game :-(

• the_dudefather 14 Mar 2012 19:50:29 9,417 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If anyone has the onlive version (which I got for a pound due to an offer!), multiplayer is now available

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• BeheretiK 21 Mar 2012 08:33:57 884 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Well, except for the bits where it randomly slows down (kinda like a slow-mo affect) but everything else still goes on at normal pace. Made the end a real fucking PITA bastard to complete. Any one else experience this? I would like to play this some more but I can't imagine multi-player or single-player on harder difficulties being much fun with that slowdown. I'm not the only one apparently either.

Still, enjoyed even with that annoyance, so solid 8/10 for me.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Page

of 29 First / Last