Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You know what MP is? The new Shadowrun.

I mean that as very high praise.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• 1Dgaf 16 Sep 2011 16:01:31 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I loved Shadowrun but I didn't get that feeling from my first few games of MP. I will try again.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• LeoliansBro 16 Sep 2011 16:04:08 43,227 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You get the same feel with the microgliders as you do with the jump packs, there are close combat kamikazes who've traded in their katanas for thunderhammers, the lascannon is a two shot sniper rifle again and there are slow walking tanks with gatling guns.

A CTF mode would be highly welcome, to be sure.

• phAge 16 Sep 2011 16:06:14 24,336 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    My feelings about the SP are veering from apathy to contempt. Pointless 'clear the spawn waves' gameplay, small objects and scenery to get stuck on, no invulnerability in execution moves, having to hide in cover because you're overwhelmed by spawns, no mid game difficulty change. I liked the demo a lot and even considered getting the expensive edition, but after playing I'm glad I rented. I'm on the final encounter and keep dying before I can actually attempt the boss fight. Not sure I want to keep trying; four or five attempts seems like enough.
    Are you playing on Hard?

Because if not, you must be really, really bad at the game. :)

I died maybe 20-25 times total (on Normal), and at no point more than 3-4 times in a row.

As for not being invulnerable during executions, I say thank fuck for that - would have made the game way, way too easy. Executing people is something you do after you've taken out ranged enemies, or after you've stunned/killed everybody else - i.e. not when there are people around wo can kill you while you gut their mate.

As for the final encounter - use the Thunder Hammer on the demons, build up Fury and then use that to murder the two hammer-marines with. Took me 3 tries, and the last one was only because I got cocky and tried to bolter the final marine to death.
  • L_Franko Moderator 16 Sep 2011 16:08:05 9,694 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is that a little spoiler'ish?
  • 1Dgaf 16 Sep 2011 16:13:20 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm playing on normal. I could do the demo on hard, chainsword and basic gun only. But this game is something else. I'm not really bad at it, it's just got some fucking stupid design decisions, most of which involve outing you into an inescapable cauldron for no reason.

• 1Dgaf 16 Sep 2011 16:17:22 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And dying three or four times in a row was my experience, until i realised the optimal strategy is...hide. Just fucking hide behind a box and take pot shots at people.

Oh yeah, but when ou hide behind a box, even if your reticule lights up as if you can kill someone, you'll actually hit the box instead.

• phAge 16 Sep 2011 16:17:36 24,336 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I'm playing on normal. I could do the demo on hard, chainsword and basic gun only. But this game is something else. I'm not really bad at it, it's just got some fucking stupid design decisions, most of which involve outing you into an inescapable cauldron for no reason.
    Fair play. I didn't experience any real difficulty spikes along the way. The gameplay IS very samey, but if you're having fun destroying orks then who cares´? :)

Also, most encounters can be made significantly easier if you thin out the enemies' ranks with Stalker/Lascannon fire first, and use grenades when you can.
  • Restart 16 Sep 2011 17:03:51 4,704 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kill all ranged attackers from distance (preferably with the Lascannon) -> melee CQC attackers, whilst using combos to keep them stunned -> execute only when needed, & when no lower than 50% hp -> win.

After finishing the game on normal, I went back & did the first chapter on hard, using that strategy, without dying once (though I did it in two parts, thus missing the achievement). ;(
  • Tryhard 16 Sep 2011 18:13:35 3,673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Holy cow just faced a team mostly comprised of devastators, was wearing turtlebeech x11's and when they all started firing my ears almost started to bleed.

I failed about 4 times on the last battle of sp.The meltagun is the answer and run for ammo.Bolter mid range.Melta mid to close.Melee very close.Use the lascannon for the guys floating in the orbs.When I stopped to think about it,I did it in one.
  • couloir 16 Sep 2011 19:44:52 98 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just finished the sp. I really enjoyed it overall, but was having much more fun before chaos turned up. I just found the orks more fun to kill.

mp is a shitshow. between getting my ass handed to me immediately by level 30 players (i'm level 3, so like thanks for the matchmaking) and the minute long wait between matches, I don't think I will be putting much time into this. A shame as I like thought of COD style unlocks with the space marine kit.

Funnily I went back to play Gears 1 after in preparation for 3 coming out... I remember the weapons being pretty meaty but they are weak compared to this!
  • Tryhard 16 Sep 2011 21:17:02 3,673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The same problem with many shooters.For all those who are enjoying it by doing well.Are those who are on the other end getting slaughtered and pissed off.It is an unforgiving world.
  • Kovacs77 16 Sep 2011 21:58:31 364 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've not even got to the Chaos bit yet, but I'll be trading it for Gears next week, I'm not loving it enough to warrant finishing it off. There should be a way of getting health back if you're inflicting ranged damage.
  • phAge 16 Sep 2011 22:33:28 24,336 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tryhard wrote:
    The same problem with many shooters.For all those who are enjoying it by doing well.Are those who are on the other end getting slaughtered and pissed off.It is an unforgiving world.
    IMHO there should be different ways of "doing good". One of the reasons BC2 is so utterly brilliant is the way it rewards both clever, skilled and/or team-oriented players. From my experience, Space Marine requires 90% reflexes, 10% brains and 0% teamplay. Which is cool if you like that sort of thing, but it's all a bit oldskool to me.
  • Tryhard 16 Sep 2011 23:12:29 3,673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Tryhard wrote:
    IMHO there should be different ways of "doing good". One of the reasons BC2 is so utterly brilliant is the way it rewards both clever, skilled and/or team-oriented players. From my experience, Space Marine requires 90% reflexes, 10% brains and 0% teamplay. Which is cool if you like that sort of thing, but it's all a bit oldskool to me.

It is funny you should mention BC2 I got fed up of too many wookies not doing anything.Players not going to defend or take objectives.It just pissed me off and once I hit 50 I could not return.This makes a refreshing change
    from that,lots of close quarter action.And everyone throwing themselves at the objectives on Seize ground mode.

I can understand people not liking the gameplay.I see it as a tune up for BF3 beta for me.
  • Raiftel 17 Sep 2011 16:12:01 163 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For some reason I crawled through Normal on this, getting my ass kicked at all times, but I've flown through Chapters 1 to 14 on Hard in about three hours. Don't know if something just clicked but I seem to be surviving way more on Hard than Normal. Although I am actually using my guns more this time through, I would have got the complete Act 1 without dying achievement if I hadn't got cocky with one of those Ork Launcher Boyz (who are the goddamn devil in this game).
  • Tryhard 17 Sep 2011 16:42:29 3,673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We were dominating a team so much they started to drop out.And the game comes to me and says,you say pay for the punishment you have dished out.We are swapping you to the other team.So it is me against my old team,while everyone else cowers behind spawn shield protection.I gave them a good fight before the loss.
  • 1Dgaf 17 Sep 2011 17:32:16 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Putting players on different teams during a match is fucking stupid. It's penalising people because they are good and potentially splitting up friends - which of course means they have less desire to play at all.

• Restart 17 Sep 2011 18:41:28 4,704 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've never seen it switch people around once in a game.
  • elvenscroll 18 Sep 2011 17:43:57 1,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally got sick of not being able to connect to a match on the PS3 and traded it in for the 360 version. Had my first taste of multiplayer and loved it. Played up until level 4 so I could use the customiser (and change to the space wolf skin). \o/

Shame the PS3 versions matchmaking is so utterly broken currently. I had been trying since launch to get into a game and not once would it connect! 360 version chucked me into a match within 30 seconds.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Anthony_UK 18 Sep 2011 19:45:07 2,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally got round to finishing the single player and other than the purely ork section during the first half overstaying it's welcome a touch I had a blast with this from beginning to end!

My only complaint is the level designers really should have set up some more situations involving stomping around using the heavy bolter and autocannon, I was crying out for the hundreds of orks/demons vs pile of heavy bloters section which sadly never came :(

But still this was top stuff and for me the definition of a solid 8/10. If Relic get given the chance for a sequel, I think they could really give some of the AAA big boys a run for there money!

Now back to that incredibly addictive multiplayer!
  • repairmanjack 18 Sep 2011 23:03:16 5,987 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finding this is getting tiresome in the last levels. Stupidly over-powered enemies are just no fun to fight. Why level up my gear just to have it made meaningless by these double-hard bastards. Been crying out for the orks to return.

Same issue with the over-leveled zombies in Dead Island, actually. It's like the game is stripping the fun out - it's not an issue of quality dipping, at least.

And the online comes off as a Tonka edition of CoD, tbh. Shadowrun? Not seeing the finesse of that at all.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Sep 2011 23:06:55 43,227 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MP is getting clunkier, I must admit. Keep finding myself wishing it was as good as it keeps promising to be.

• PrivateFloyd 18 Sep 2011 23:08:00 4,103 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Forget the name of the weapon...Lancassor? either way its a multi zoom rifle. 2 shots from that kills all the chaos marines.

Similarly the "meltgun" (its like a shotgun) works really well on the dudes that are heavily armoured that carry those fuck off maces.

I breezed through it, its just about finding the best weapons.

it was all a bit meh though.

Goat is hungry.....

• Anthony_UK 18 Sep 2011 23:29:21 2,459 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think think if you are or were a 40k fan, you will enjoy this all the more. They mention in passing things that while not important to the story, would mean something to a fan.

I wouldn't say the later enemies are overpowered, they just need to be felt with in a different way to the orks which despite me loving the game gave me welcome change of pace.
  • repairmanjack 18 Sep 2011 23:48:39 5,987 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sigh. Got to level six in the multiplayer. I was fifteen levels below the next person on my team - and was getting one hit killed from across the map by one of the five level 37+ opponents on the other team.

Might put it down until they sort this bullshit. Assuming Gears hasn't put it to death within three days.
  • Restart 19 Sep 2011 00:23:18 4,704 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only way anyone can one hit kill you from distance is via a Lascannon headshot. So whoever was doing it was either a) very skilled, or b) very lucky. Lascannon guys are fairly useless if you get in close though, & it's tough for them to hit a fast moving target, so pick the Assault/Raptor, move around alot, get in close, & slice them to pieces.

Alternatively, copy their loadout & return the favour!
  • telboy007 19 Sep 2011 13:56:30 426 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nearly up to level 29, my favourite game is killing assault marines with a devasator. That stomp move is extremely useful.

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• LeoliansBro 19 Sep 2011 15:46:36 43,227 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Clicked on the single player hard campaign last night, and love it all over again.

It makes me sad to think that this will be dropped by 90% of people for Gears tomorrow. But not so sad that I don't find myself in that 90%.

• Page

of 29 First / Last