Why WW2

  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

    Previous
  • GazzaMackem 3 Sep 2008 12:01:27 165 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why do yous think most war games are mostley based on WW2. Whats wrong with WW1,Vietnam or even todays war.
  • deem 3 Sep 2008 12:02:22 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WW1 - guns are crap
    Vietnam - touchy subject
  • Blerk Moderator 3 Sep 2008 12:02:37 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's a war on today? I must've missed the memo. Are we winning?
  • ApocalypseA 3 Sep 2008 12:02:40 110 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    because developers are retards?
  • MrSensible 3 Sep 2008 12:02:57 25,362 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    World War 2 appeals (if that's the right word to use!) to everyone, being a global conflict. Probably something to do with that.

    Plus as much as I'd like a WW1 shooter, imagine how dull it'd be for most people :p
  • Amajiro 3 Sep 2008 12:03:50 2,214 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have to say I expect to see more Vietnam games soon as we now have engines that can render foliage properly.
  • MrSensible 3 Sep 2008 12:04:42 25,362 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think Vietnam is definitely an untapped conflict really, for the modern FPS. There's been one or two stabs at it, with varying results, but nothing truly spectacular.
  • TechnoHippy 3 Sep 2008 12:08:15 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WW2 is probably the last war that was morally unambigious, to the general public at any rate. It's global nature pays a big part as well I'd imagine.

    More Vietnam War games need to be made. One of my favourite online moments was hunting Americans in Vietcong :-) It has the best sound track as well :-)

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • Retroid Moderator 3 Sep 2008 12:10:23 45,310 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    There's a war on today? I must've missed the memo. Are we winning?
    DO YOUR BIT FOR THE WAR EFFORT - WEAR MORE LEATHER
  • JuanKerr 3 Sep 2008 12:10:24 36,445 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm still not comfortable with WWII games - I think it trivialises it.
  • MrSensible 3 Sep 2008 12:10:24 25,362 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the problem with a Vietnam game is America. I doubt an American developer would want to set many realistic games there.
  • Deleted user 3 September 2008 12:11:08
    I think WW2 more than any other lends itself well to the FPS genre. The nature of the battles was very much of the kind that works in an FPS, plus I agree the subject matter is ideal, as it has a global interest and isnít really recent enough to offend anyway too much.

    There are some decent games based on Vietnam and similar conflicts, but perhaps there could be more.

    More games like CoD 4 would also be welcome.
  • JuanKerr 3 Sep 2008 12:12:04 36,445 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:

    and isnít really recent enough to offend anyway too much.


    It offends me to be honest.
  • MrSensible 3 Sep 2008 12:12:40 25,362 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sick of modern combat games, to be honest. As I said I'd love more Vietnam, but I'd also like to see more games of any war we've not really seen many titles of. No ideas spring to mind but I'm sure there's some!
  • TheSaint 3 Sep 2008 12:13:04 14,827 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I think the problem with a Vietnam game is America. I doubt an American developer would want to set many realistic games there.

    We have had games set during market garden and they also suffered a pretty horrific number of casualties in that as well.
  • Pinewood_Groves 3 Sep 2008 12:13:40 1,347 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I'm sick of modern combat games, to be honest. As I said I'd love more Vietnam, but I'd also like to see more games of any war we've not really seen many titles of. No ideas spring to mind but I'm sure there's some!

    The Australian-American war
  • ApocalypseA 3 Sep 2008 12:14:28 110 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    WW2 is where it's at
  • MrSensible 3 Sep 2008 12:14:57 25,362 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I think the problem with a Vietnam game is America. I doubt an American developer would want to set many realistic games there.

    We have had games set during market garden and they also suffered a pretty horrific number of casualties in that as well.

    True, true. They don't really convey that in the game though. I think they'd do the same with a Vietnam game. I'd like to see if done properly and possibly the ability to play as either side.
  • TheSaint 3 Sep 2008 12:15:25 14,827 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I'm still not comfortable with WWII games - I think it trivialises it.

    You could argue this about any game genre though? Tiger woods trivialises the skill required to be a professional golfer.
  • Amajiro 3 Sep 2008 12:16:29 2,214 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pinewood_Groves wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I'm sick of modern combat games, to be honest. As I said I'd love more Vietnam, but I'd also like to see more games of any war we've not really seen many titles of. No ideas spring to mind but I'm sure there's some!

    The Australian-American war

    That would be a very short game.
  • Pinewood_Groves 3 Sep 2008 12:16:45 1,347 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I'm still not comfortable with WWII games - I think it trivialises it.

    You could argue this about any game genre though? Tiger woods trivialises the skill required to be a professional golfer.

    lol
  • JuanKerr 3 Sep 2008 12:16:57 36,445 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I'm still not comfortable with WWII games - I think it trivialises it.

    You could argue this about any game genre though? Tiger woods trivialises the skill required to be a professional golfer.

    Erm, yeah, okay.
  • JuanKerr 3 Sep 2008 12:17:46 36,445 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ApocalypseA wrote:
    WW2 is where it's at

    What does that mean, exactly? Does the death of millions of people make it 'cool'?
  • Pinewood_Groves 3 Sep 2008 12:17:54 1,347 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Amajiro wrote:
    Pinewood_Groves wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I'm sick of modern combat games, to be honest. As I said I'd love more Vietnam, but I'd also like to see more games of any war we've not really seen many titles of. No ideas spring to mind but I'm sure there's some!

    The Australian-American war

    That would be a very short game.

    Hey, that's the way things are going.

    It would probably be loger than Gears of War anyway, and people like that.
  • MrSensible 3 Sep 2008 12:20:05 25,362 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, JuanKerr, are films about WW2 wrong? Genuine question.
  • Deleted user 3 September 2008 12:20:13
    JuanKerr wrote:
    kalel wrote:

    and isnít really recent enough to offend anyway too much.


    It offends me to be honest.

    Iíd be interested to hear you rationalise why.

    I kind of know where youíre coming from, but I actually think the majority of these games handle the subject with a pretty decent degree of sensitivity, the CoD games in particular really make you more aware of the awful nature of war than you might have been if you had not played them. Recently games like CoD 4 even start to blur the lines between the goodie and the baddies, and challenge you to really ponder the current Middle East situation.

    Itís a step towards games Ďgrowing upí a bit, and I think itís mostly a good thing.
  • Deleted user 3 September 2008 12:21:00
    Most war films are set in WW2 too.

    The Nazis were the best thing to happen to the entertainment industry.
  • JuanKerr 3 Sep 2008 12:22:16 36,445 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    So, JuanKerr, are films about WW2 wrong? Genuine question.

    Well, depends on how they deal with the situation - if they are a genuine attempt at making people aware of what happened and serve a purpose, then fine. However, shit like Pearl Harbour can fuck off.
  • JuanKerr 3 Sep 2008 12:25:45 36,445 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

    It offends me to be honest.

    Iíd be interested to hear you rationalise why.

    I kind of know where youíre coming from, but I actually think the majority of these games handle the subject with a pretty decent degree of sensitivity, the CoD games in particular really make you more aware of the awful nature of war than you might have been if you had not played them. Recently games like CoD 4 even start to blur the lines between the goodie and the baddies, and challenge you to really ponder the current Middle East situation.

    Itís a step towards games Ďgrowing upí a bit, and I think itís mostly a good thing.

    I agree with what you said, but I think the problem is that when younger kids, for example, start playing WWII games and completely lose sight of the fact that these events they are interacting in actually happened.

    I was very close to my grandfather and saw what WWII did to him. He died a few years ago and I know that he wouldn't be happy with the 'commercialisation' of WWII, especially by the games industry.
  • Tremendosaurus 3 Sep 2008 12:27:33 1,197 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amajiro wrote:
    I have to say I expect to see more Vietnam games soon as we now have engines that can render foliage properly.


    Yeah, can you imagine hunting VC through thick Crytech-rendered jungle?

    Look out for Charlie up in the trees!
  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply