Google Chrome

• Page

of 35 First / Last

Previous
  • Huntcjna 2 Sep 2008 15:25:24 13,871 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, Uber Google are at it again and are releasing at 6pm tonight the first beta of their new open source web browser for windows.

Its apparently been built from the ground up and some of the features do sound quite decent.

The wiki gives a good breakdown of the feature list and Google have published a 40 page webcomic to explain it a bit better.

Wiki

Chrome Web Comic

It does sound quite tasty to be honest so I will probably give it a cheeky trial at work tomorrow instead of using firefox.

Thoughts?
  • istandfreed 2 Sep 2008 15:26:45 2,388 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting, I also shall run a trial version in work tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
  • PearOfAnguish 2 Sep 2008 15:28:59 7,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Google's plan of world domination continues.

Sounds interesting but I really don't trust Google that much, and Firefox will no doubt incorporate some its better features (sandbox, multi-threading) in future versions. And Firefox has hundreds of plugins, I can't switch to another browser because I'd miss them.
  • thefilthandthefury 2 Sep 2008 15:30:36 24,952 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sounds interesting. I'm an Opera user at the mo and I've used Firefox a lot in the past but I've never used plug ins or anything so that's of no concern to me.
  • M83J01P97 2 Sep 2008 15:31:05 6,553 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There was something about this on BBC News 24's Click show a couple of weeks ago, and one of the tech 'experts' made a point of saying while there were a lot of interesting ideas going into Chrome, at the end of the day Firefox and various other open source browsers are no different and basically have the same potential.

But Google can pretty much do what they like... so good for them.
  • Spanky 2 Sep 2008 15:32:03 14,458 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Google can't even get gmail right after all this time... i have my doubts as to its stability.

Plubs

• PearOfAnguish 2 Sep 2008 15:33:14 7,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it's anything like their web services expect it to remain in beta for the next five years.
  • JayeM 2 Sep 2008 15:33:30 3,386 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This will be Legen... Wait for it ...dary.
  • andijames 2 Sep 2008 15:35:39 2,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been reading about this today. Will have to make sure all my web applications play nicely in it but it does sound really interesting. Like the multi-process approach will be interesting to see how it works IRL. Plus the ability to spot a 'naughty' process which is crashing the browser!

This stop browser, next stop OS!

vivir el momento

• PinkSpider 2 Sep 2008 15:36:05 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I shall be testing this ASAP. Recently moved from FF to Opera and I do miss some of the plugins.

I hope there is no chrome involved though... The interface is vital for me. Opera gets used now because I loved the interface out of the box...
  • Quint2020 2 Sep 2008 15:37:40 3,484 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds very good indeed.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 2 Sep 2008 15:39:09 7,299 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting but I highly doubt it will replace Opera for me. Even if it's on par with Opera I simply don't know why I would switch if it doesn't vastly improve on some things.
  • magicpanda 2 Sep 2008 15:40:59 13,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just more fucking ballache from a designer/developer point of view.

Another browser to test shit on. Brilliant.
  • burns 2 Sep 2008 15:41:05 1,138 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's based on webkit, which is used by Safari if I'm not mistaken.
  • Ginger 2 Sep 2008 15:41:41 6,827 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The interesting thing about this is how much information google stores from your browsing habits - even completely anonymised without you logging in they could build a picture of you with this browser.

I especially like the fact that the privacy mode retains no information on your computer - doesn't say anything about whether they retain some info on their servers though

/tinfoil

London open taekwondo champion

• Der_tolle_Emil 2 Sep 2008 15:42:25 7,299 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    burns wrote:

That's it then, because if it is true then the google browser is dead to me. Safari on Windows is a failed abortion of a browser.
  • andijames 2 Sep 2008 15:43:36 2,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    burns wrote:

Yep and ironically they're not releasing a mac version till "later" which is annoying to me being a mac owner.

vivir el momento

• oceanmotion 2 Sep 2008 15:44:50 15,673 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm a little wary of Google, they do get a lot of your info and keep it. I'm sure the boffins will rip it apart to see if it's doing anything dodgy which I suspect it might. Time will tell.
  • consignia 2 Sep 2008 15:50:54 1,433 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    I'm a little wary of Google, they do get a lot of your info and keep it. I'm sure the boffins will rip it apart to see if it's doing anything dodgy which I suspect it might. Time will tell.

Reading their webcomic, it keeps tabs on what sites are "malicous" and will regulate browser activity around them. This probably never be misused, but I'm still a little cautious of Google being the single authorithy on what's malicous or not.
  • Pirotic Moderator 2 Sep 2008 16:00:34 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's open source, nothing really to worry about.
  • mouse Moderator 2 Sep 2008 16:13:52 10,312 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Der_tolle_Emil wrote:
    burns wrote:

That's it then, because if it is true then the google browser is dead to me. Safari on Windows is a failed abortion of a browser.

It's only the rendering engine, not the whole browser. Safari on Windows may well be shit, but that has little to do with how Chrome will perform with regards to anything other than page layout.
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Sep 2008 16:27:01 39,387 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nothing wrong with IE7 and firefox 3. No thanks.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Whizzo 2 Sep 2008 16:32:27 43,038 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not having one tab going nuts and taking down the browser will be lovely. If it lives up to the comic's promises this will be an easy switch for me.

This space left intentionally blank.

• pjmaybe 2 Sep 2008 16:34:45 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    andijames wrote:
    burns wrote:

Yep and ironically they're not releasing a mac version till "later" which is annoying to me being a mac owner.

I wouldn't worry too much. If it does to Gmail what Safari does, you're better off with Camino :)
  • Bloodloss 2 Sep 2008 16:36:34 4,499 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Woah. It was only the other day I went "[Google is awesome]. Wouldn't it be great if they made a web browser - I'd definitely use that." Didn't think they'd actually do one!

So yes, I'll definitely be giving this a go.
  • espy 2 Sep 2008 16:38:17 840 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Should be very interesting. Release is appently at 9 in the evening here in Germany, that would be 8pm for you brits. Hunt, where did you get the 6pm thing?
  • oceanmotion 2 Sep 2008 16:39:03 15,673 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Not having one tab going nuts and taking down the browser will be lovely. If it lives up to the comic's promises this will be an easy switch for me.

IE8 does that too. From reading up it seems that IE8 has all the Chrome features but it's IE at the end of the day. Love Firefox extensions.

Some pics of Chrome

Looks clean. Would go well with XP default theme.
  • faux_carnation 2 Sep 2008 16:40:09 9,091 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Won't be switching to anything other than FF2 until Adblock works and is free on another decent browser

Boatmurdered FC

• Page

of 35 First / Last

Previous