Ninja Blade

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • oceanmotion 1 Sep 2008 11:51:48 15,673 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

This game was rumoured a while ago and is now made official at the Xbox Japan Media Briefing today.

Screens and Teaser Trailer

Official slow ass site

The character designs are by Keiji Nakaoka of Capcom's 2nd Character Development Studio (he did some character modeling and design for Lost Planet), the music is by Norihiko Hibino of Metal Gear Solid fame, and Itsuro Kawasaki from Production IG will be directing the event scene animations. The game is being developed by From Software, and is a completely original brand new cinematic action game where the player will slay monsters while dynamically travelling across the super skyscrapers of Tokyo. It's been in planning and development for over 3 years now and will use the Xbox360's spec to the fullest for interactivity and dynamic action packed gameplay.

Ninja Gaiden take 2.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2008 11:54:12
    I wonder which thread will win? I like this one better.
  • Psychotext 1 Sep 2008 11:57:09 53,855 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At least this one has the right name :)
  • Psychotext 1 Sep 2008 12:12:06 53,855 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also:

Yeah, there was a brief CG trailer and then an in-game one. Very short, but awesome. The main character leapt out of a helicopter, fell hundreds of feet, smashed through plate glass windows into a skyscraper, then continued the battle inside. Totally seamless. The From guy said it wasn't a cutscene and was all playable. Graphics were hugely impressive and everything looked to be 60fps. Lots of destructable elements in the background. "From Software Ninja Action Game" just went from "huh, might be cool" to "GOD DAMN".

Sounds interesting enough. :)
  • Deleted user 1 September 2008 12:17:11
    GOD DAMN !
  • Quint2020 2 Sep 2008 09:34:32 3,484 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm hoping this will be really good, I'm always up for some over the top hack and slash action but it doesn't look too original does it?

The main character's design is a little shite as well.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 09:35:37
    A little shite? Really lazy. I checked out their Otogi game on youtube and THAT had better design work.
  • Quint2020 2 Sep 2008 09:39:21 3,484 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    A little shite? Really lazy. I checked out their Otogi game on youtube and THAT had better design work.

I'm not so much complaining that he looks a bit like Ryu Hayabusa from NG, more that he doesn't really look too cool does he? What the hell is with those things around his eyes?

I still have faith though as they made Otogi 1 and 2 (both of which were horribly overlooked and EGs review of the first one which I've just read is just bullshit, it's an excellent games and I think most other reviewers agree with me).
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 10:49:54
    I don't know! He looks like a rubbish Ryu, so yup I'm complaining! It can't be too hard to design a ninja that doesn't look like other ninjas! At least change the colour design a BIT.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 10:51:36
    I didn't like Otogi. Looked a bit shite and played a bit shite too. I don't know why it got the lip service it did.
  • Psychotext 2 Sep 2008 11:18:36 53,855 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    I don't know why it got the lip service it did.
    Mmm.... lip service.
  • Quint2020 2 Sep 2008 11:20:50 3,484 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    I didn't like Otogi. Looked a bit shite and played a bit shite too. I don't know why it got the lip service it did.

BLASPHEMY!
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 11:23:41
    To be fair I didn't play it for more than a few hours. I really didn't get what the fuss was about, same kinda feeling as SotC and Ico.
  • Psychotext 2 Sep 2008 11:25:27 53,855 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    I really didn't get what the fuss was about, same kinda feeling as SotC and Ico.
    Oh god run! Run run run!
  • Quint2020 2 Sep 2008 11:28:40 3,484 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    .........\o\
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 11:29:26
    /stands ground and punches nerds in their small testicles
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 11:30:40
    Good thing I've got my large Tanuki testicles slung over my shoulder. Those smaller testicles are inert.

/flattens boabg
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 11:31:56
    Heh reminds me of Buster Gonad.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 11:38:00
    Hahaaa! I remember that cartoon. What's he drawn on there?
  • Deleted user 2 September 2008 11:41:06
    Looks like some kind of fighter jet or something.

Anyway, I like the look of this Ninja Blade thing. The fact it's not multiplatform could mean it might have a more focused team that spits out something better than Tenchu Z at the end.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2008 12:20:23
    The Demo is now up on the JPN marketplace, 424 MB :)
  • Deleted user 29 December 2008 14:02:55
    Personal Opinions from the demo :

First of all, the graphics are pretty good, nothing earth-shattering but still pretty good.
    Rock-solid 30 fps gameplay (wasn't this supposed to be 60 fps though?) and good use of lighting.

Gameplay-wise it's not ninja gaiden nor DMC , it has this Otogi button-masher friendly feel which in my opinion is not a bad thing (not surprising since this is from the same developers) and weapons can be switched mid-combo to produce some really nasty results...

Now, and this is something that many people are going to bitch about, i think that the QTE's are going to be annoying for some in that if you fail them, you're presented with a "rewind" effect that takes you back from the beginning of the QTE sequence.The good thing though is that when this occurs, there are no loading times involved, the "loading"/restart is instant so...

The game feels very cinematic indeed with the use of dramatic camera angles (usually in QTE's) and nice up tempo music, running down through a skyscraper while slashing enemies gives a fantastic rush-feel and feels very Ninja-y...

I'm pretty sure that many will label this as a "meh, generic hack 'n' slasher" but there seems to be some potential here, it's one of those games in which the demo isn't enough to give you a proper impression of the game me thinks.

I love ninja games (the good ones at least) and Ninja Gaiden in particular.
    Ninja Blade -at least for me- feels more like a "ninja game" compared to the likes of Gaiden and others.
  • phAge 29 Dec 2008 14:04:34 24,337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers. Can we haz on European Marketplace now, mista Microsoft?
  • Blerk Moderator 29 Dec 2008 14:05:19 48,225 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If they're going to just 'rewind' the QTE if you fail then... what's the point of having the QTE at all? Why not just have a cutscene and let people watch it and then get on with the game proper?
  • merkdot 29 Dec 2008 14:05:51 1,836 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    it looks EXACTLY like Heavenly Sword gameplay to me.
  • crashVoodoo 29 Dec 2008 14:46:50 3,853 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    If they're going to just 'rewind' the QTE if you fail then... what's the point of having the QTE at all? Why not just have a cutscene and let people watch it and then get on with the game proper?
    Agreed. Force Unleashed pissed me off with this. Repeat. Fail. Repeat. Fail ... blah blah .... Success!

It's just shit.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• neilka 30 Dec 2008 20:45:12 15,679 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can download the demo here. Burn the "Content" folder to a DVD and Bob's your ninja uncle.
  • Quint2020 31 Dec 2008 09:27:08 3,484 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This looks pretty awesome but I wish they'd just made Otogi 3 :(
  • Deleted user 7 January 2009 10:46:25
    The demo is quite good. Looks lovely at times.

It's on the Jap store if anyone wants a look.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous