Recommend me a good HD camcorder Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• pistol 3 Oct 2008 10:59:14 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    I've not bought anything yet. I'm slowly considering! ;)

I'm still loving my Canon HF100. No HDD so it's small, and the image quality is 2nd to none. 16GB card will allow 2 hours of the highest quality HD.

Go for it...
  • Mike_Hunt 3 Oct 2008 14:22:16 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm also in the market for a new camcorder. I've currently got MiniDV based one, and I'm just finding it a bit of a pain messing about with tapes. I'd much prefer some sort of solidstate memory device, as I expect it's easier to transfer data and they also tend to be smaller and quieter too.

My first thought was of course HD, however, I've since realised that our main TV is just a Standard Def unit (I've got a Hi-Def projector upstairs, but this is really only used for movies and gaming), and I also don't have a means of burning Hi-Def discs/blu-rays - so that's an extra cost, never mind the fact that I don't have a blu-ray player.

So, unless I'm missing something obvious, I think I'll stick with standard def for now and save myself a small fortune.

[MH]
  • pistol 3 Oct 2008 22:16:05 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    I'm also in the market for a new camcorder. I've currently got MiniDV based one, and I'm just finding it a bit of a pain messing about with tapes. I'd much prefer some sort of solidstate memory device, as I expect it's easier to transfer data and they also tend to be smaller and quieter too.

My first thought was of course HD, however, I've since realised that our main TV is just a Standard Def unit (I've got a Hi-Def projector upstairs, but this is really only used for movies and gaming), and I also don't have a means of burning Hi-Def discs/blu-rays - so that's an extra cost, never mind the fact that I don't have a blu-ray player.

So, unless I'm missing something obvious, I think I'll stick with standard def for now and save myself a small fortune.

[MH]

I tried my old Samsung SD camcorder on my 42" HD TV and it looked bloody awful. Deffo HD for the win.
  • mouse Moderator 16 Oct 2008 19:30:08 10,312 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    More example footage of my HDR-TG3. Here's a small collection of clips that I shot while I was in Florida last month.
  • Whatsfor 22 Oct 2008 14:53:28 2,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mike_Hunt Go High def, you can burn the footage in small doses onto DVD in AVC/H264 etc and play them on a high end DVD or blu ray player. The TG3 is a beauty! I dont nearly use mine enough. Mouse check play.com for memory sticks - cheapcheapcheap.
  • jellyhead 22 Oct 2008 15:02:07 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you want a cheapie HD 720p camera then have a look for the Toshiba Camileo HD Pro. It's a rebadged Aiptek camera that does 720p and is about 80. It's not going to be stunning but i've heard that for the price it's bloody good.

Aiptek version. It has issues with low illumination and is nowhere near as good as higher end cameras but for 80, i'm tempted as it'll do for the messing around i'd do with it.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• pistol 22 Oct 2008 15:42:52 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whatsfor wrote:
    Mike_Hunt Go High def, you can burn the footage in small doses onto DVD in AVC/H264 etc and play them on a high end DVD or blu ray player. The TG3 is a beauty! I dont nearly use mine enough. Mouse check play.com for memory sticks - cheapcheapcheap.

Finally managed to get Pinnacle 12 to understand the footage from my Canon HF-100.
  • pistol 22 Oct 2008 15:46:30 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    More example footage of my HDR-TG3. Here's a small collection of clips that I shot while I was in Florida last month.

Nice footage there mouse..looks like you had fun. One question though...you ain't got parkinsons have you?

;-)
  • mouse Moderator 22 Oct 2008 15:54:41 10,312 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :(

Spent a lot of time in that footage zoomed in, but yeah - that means shake-o-vision.
  • pistol 22 Oct 2008 15:56:16 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    :(

Spent a lot of time in that footage zoomed in, but yeah - that means shake-o-vision.

What software do you use to edit your footage and format are the files?
  • mouse Moderator 22 Oct 2008 15:57:33 10,312 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    iMovie for editing - it's the mutts nuts for simple shit like holiday snaps. The TG3 stores footage in AVCHD format.
  • FooAtari 22 Oct 2008 16:04:35 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Samsung SC-HMX20 is supposed to be pretty good. Review here

It seems to compare favorably with camcorders 2-300 quid more. Can be had for 380 at Play I think. Thinking of getting one myself.
  • FixedInfinity 22 Oct 2008 16:08:44 1,682 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    If you want a cheapie HD 720p camera then have a look for the Toshiba Camileo HD Pro. It's a rebadged Aiptek camera that does 720p and is about 80. It's not going to be stunning but i've heard that for the price it's bloody good.

Aiptek version. It has issues with low illumination and is nowhere near as good as higher end cameras but for 80, i'm tempted as it'll do for the messing around i'd do with it.
    The sample footage looks pretty impressive!
  • pistol 22 Oct 2008 16:26:51 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    iMovie for editing - it's the mutts nuts for simple shit like holiday snaps. The TG3 stores footage in AVCHD format.

Shame I don't have a Mac, as I would have loved to use iMovie. Still, Pinnacle 12 seems to do the job and can handle AVCHD files ok. I have the card version of the HF100 and it really is an awesome piece of kit.
  • gizmo 22 Oct 2008 18:10:44 2,027 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought a Sony HDR-SR12 120gb but sent it back after 2 or 3 days because the auto-focus is simply awful. The rest of the camera is A1, but whats the point when everything is blurred!!

I got a Canon HF10 as a replacement and have been really, really pleased with it - lovely bit of kit, and lighter than the Sony as you would expect without the hard disk. Got it from Amazon in the end, because Empire Direct 'lost' my first one in transit, then said they had no stock, even though their site said they did. Hmm.

Camcorderinfo rates the HF10 very highly and I couldn't disagree. Real shame about the Sony, I believe the SR12 was so good it was competing too closely with pro gear so they cripped it to an 'acceptable' (not to me) consumer level.
  • DaisyD 26 Oct 2008 20:37:18 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mouse wrote:

That footage is awesome! The sound quality is pretty good too. I take it your getting on great with it?
  • DaisyD 26 Oct 2008 21:35:33 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    DaisyD wrote:
    mouse wrote:
    I'm thinking about picking up this one, personally.

I saw that earlier today on an american sony site. It's small and shiny!

Indeed. In fact, thanks to you for digging the idea up again, I've just ordered it on Amazon - 480 seems like a good deal.

It's down to 431 now.
  • mouse Moderator 13 Nov 2008 16:15:47 10,312 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    mouse wrote:

That footage is awesome! The sound quality is pretty good too. I take it your getting on great with it?

Whoops, sorry, only just saw this. Yes, I'm getting on with it great. I'm rarely out without it now. I only wish it was better in low light, but that really is the only drawback I can think of. 430 is a steal. Oh wait, it's 426 now :D
  • Lovemoose 13 Nov 2008 16:40:06 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    366 now with cashback...

I took the plunge on the tg3 (despite my post earlier in the thread) after trying it in a shop; also Mrs Moose wanted to be able to use it for our new daughter, so it's ease of use is a bonus.

Got it for 365 so with a voucher deal a couple of weeks ago. The drop below 400 really swang it for me; It doesn't feel quite as much money.

twitter: @chockey

• pistol 13 Nov 2008 17:18:09 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What does everyone use to edit their AVCHD files?

I'm using Vista so my options aren't fantastic. I'd really like a go with Imovie but don't have a MAC. Currently getting on OK with Pinnacle 12.
  • Lovemoose 13 Nov 2008 17:31:27 999 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vegas Pro 8 for me at work, and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum at home.

The newest version of Pro 8 really simplifies the avchd import process.

twitter: @chockey

• Mike_Hunt 13 Nov 2008 21:02:18 23,512 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    Git.

Now I need and HD camcorder.

[MH]
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 13 November 2008 23:16:25
    Post deleted
  • DaisyD 16 Nov 2008 00:11:43 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lovemoose wrote:
    366 now with cashback...

I took the plunge on the tg3 (despite my post earlier in the thread) after trying it in a shop; also Mrs Moose wanted to be able to use it for our new daughter, so it's ease of use is a bonus.

Got it for 365 so with a voucher deal a couple of weeks ago. The drop below 400 really swang it for me; It doesn't feel quite as much money.

Thanks for this. We bought one and it arrived today! I've not had much chance to mess with it yet though.

BTW anyone able to recommend some good editing software for my Macbook? The more professional the better (I minored in advanced digital editing as a student, so know what I'm doing).
  • DaisyD 16 Nov 2008 00:29:07 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And where to find the drivers and software for macs.
  • DaisyD 16 Nov 2008 19:53:27 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    *bump*
  • mouse Moderator 16 Nov 2008 20:10:48 10,312 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't need any drivers or software - just run iMovie and plug it in. If you want something more advanced than iMovie, then Final Cut Studio or Adobe Premiere. I'll leave it up to you to decide where to get those last two though :)
  • Carlo 16 Nov 2008 20:16:38 17,983 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Daisy, my mother-in-law wants to get a camcorder for her husband for Christmas... Would you recommend this camera? She's not given ANY kind of parameters like costs or features... So it's a blank canvas question.

PSN ID: Djini

• DaisyD 16 Nov 2008 22:34:27 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mouse wrote:
    Don't need any drivers or software - just run iMovie and plug it in. If you want something more advanced than iMovie, then Final Cut Studio or Adobe Premiere. I'll leave it up to you to decide where to get those last two though :)
    What about M2TS Convertion?
  • Page

of 5 First / Last