Ramadan starting soon around 1st september depending on moon sighting Page 10

  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

    Next
  • jonsaan 15 Aug 2010 17:25:09 25,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheFourteen_Fingers

    FCUTA!

  • Retroid Moderator 15 Aug 2010 17:27:02 44,505 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh yes, him. The swine.
  • Rauha 15 Aug 2010 18:41:55 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NBZ wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Gotta love it when people bring up Mohammed was a paedophile but then go onto defend Christianity. Brilliant.

    (unlike the common misconception, the wife of the prophet (saw) was 19, not 9 so even there it is incorrect. People tried to push a younger number a few centuries later in order to support their political ambitions and even later people defended it on the basis of "I dont care what you say, the prophet (saw) could do no wrong" instead of actually looking into the event. The historical scholars (meaning those that lived centuries ago) had her age as approximately 19 - the 9 number comes from an arab speech pattern where if the part of a number is known, it is not needed to be mentioned - ie if you pick a number between 40 and 50, you can entirely correctly reply "5" and it would be understood as 45.)

    Just been reunited with my sister for the first time in 2 years. And to my suprise she converted to Islam over a year ago. I know this isn't a question and answer thread but there somethings I need to clear up. Feel free not to answer any questions if they seem too demanding.
    1. She was praying for over 2 hours last night. I never knew it was for 2 hours, or is she doing it by her choice?
    2. She wears that long gown (sorry I don't know the name), and the head scarf but not the face thing (sorry again). Why is it some woman choose to wear and some not. She has a good logical reason, but I wanted to know if there was any actual religious reason.
    3. We don't have pork in our house anyway, and I know Alcohol is a no no. If I were to buy meat from a muslim butchers, does it matter if I'm the one who cooks it?

    Sorry if this seems slightly out of the blue, just want to feel as comfortable as possible.

    Happy Ramadan.

  • NBZ 15 Aug 2010 18:46:43 2,371 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1. The "Taraweeh" prayer is extra prayer offered in the month of ramadan (and not compulsory) and this can take some time as people try to divide large segments of the qur'an so that they can recite the whole of it over the period of a month.

    2. The face does not need to be covered, but some want to to either emulate and copy historical women who did or due to culture. Some also wear a long abaya type thing but that once again is optional - the aim is to be modest and to cover the body in a way that the clothing is not too tight a fit.

    3. No, as long as it is halaal meat and the ingredients are halaal, it does not matter who does the cooking.
  • Rauha 15 Aug 2010 18:50:53 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks mate. Yeah just googled it, it is abaya. Actually looks quite beautiful even if its not intended to be :)
  • Khanivor 15 Aug 2010 18:52:10 40,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know which is more scary, the retard or those wanting to call the coppers on him.
  • Deleted user 15 August 2010 19:06:27
    Bit harsh, might be a bit daft wanting to call the cops on a racist retard but it hardly puts them in the same league as the guy.
  • matt6666 15 Aug 2010 19:20:38 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ramadan would do my head in, more than crackers like fish_fingers..
  • Deleted user 15 August 2010 19:21:35
    Wonder if they'd want someone arrested for going 'fucking catholics, all a bunch of manipulative old paedos'.
  • matt6666 15 Aug 2010 19:36:42 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Think the 'Fuck off out of my country towel head' took the analogy away from you..
  • Retroid Moderator 15 Aug 2010 19:42:17 44,505 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, doesn't really work. Mix it in with some very nasty racism and you're getting there.
  • lucky_jim 15 Aug 2010 20:02:34 5,276 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    I don't know which is more scary, the retard or those wanting to call the coppers on him.

    o/ I'm one of "those". Did you actually see all his posts Khani? It was a pretty heat-of-the-moment suggestion from me, I'll admit that, but he was going way beyond the usual misinformed nonsense (you know, the type you can at least attempt to have a reasoned argument with) and well into the territory of hatred and racism. If I'm honest I was more annoyed that he came here to spout it than anything else, I like this place without that kind of shit. There's a law against stirring up racial and religious hatred, and if he'd been saying that about any racial group rather than a religious one there would have been far, far more people here saying it should be reported. As it was, he was just using a religion as a smokescreen for his racism, as the BNP do nowadays.

    And fwiw, in the interests of disclosure I'm an atheist who thinks all religious beliefs are a bit strange. I'll support anyone's right to criticise, mock, poke fun at or plain ignore the religious sensibilities of others, but he wasn't doing any of that, he was in a different league entirely.
  • Khanivor 15 Aug 2010 20:41:04 40,490 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I missed his posts as he'd been GI'd by the time I woke up. But I caught a few of them in quoted replies. So while he was posting ugly, hateful bullshit I don't think he was trying to gather an internet posse to go lynch so muzlims.

    There are laws for stirring up religious and racial hatred and they are a fucking pox on the nation, imo. Unless someone is trying to get people to harm other people - which is covered just fine by other laws - then let them say whatever the hell they want, no matter how noxious. I just find too much similarity in the desire to control thought and to get rid of what one group has decided is bad that is part of both the law you reference and the nasty fuckers who it is aimed at.

    Hurt feelings are not reason enough to put the handcuffs on anyone.
  • heyyo 15 Aug 2010 20:42:35 14,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rauha wrote:
    1. She was praying for over 2 hours last night. I never knew it was for 2 hours, or is she doing it by her choice?
    2. She wears that long gown (sorry I don't know the name), and the head scarf but not the face thing (sorry again). Why is it some woman choose to wear and some not. She has a good logical reason, but I wanted to know if there was any actual religious reason.
    3. We don't have pork in our house anyway, and I know Alcohol is a no no. If I were to buy meat from a muslim butchers, does it matter if I'm the one who cooks it?

    Sorry if this seems slightly out of the blue, just want to feel as comfortable as possible.

    Happy Ramadan.


    I'm not muslim but my best friend is, so use my answers as a guide...

    1. Doubt 2 hours is a requirement. If it were then muslims would be praying 10 hours a day!
    2. Women who wear the full dress do so because they want to show upmost adherence
    3. You can cook it
  • Carlo 15 Aug 2010 20:47:59 17,983 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What I still don't get is why in this day and age they cannot predict accurately and in advance when Ramadan starts! It's a fucking lunar cycle for fucks sake. We KNOW where the moon is!

    Amams being attention whores IMO

    PSN ID: Djini

  • brokenkey 15 Aug 2010 21:26:53 6,975 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    What I still don't get is why in this day and age they cannot predict accurately and in advance when Ramadan starts! It's a fucking lunar cycle for fucks sake. We KNOW where the moon is!

    Amams being attention whores IMO

    yeah, but it might be cloudy.

    3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

  • heyyo 15 Aug 2010 21:39:25 14,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or the moon may be inside out
  • Rauha 15 Aug 2010 21:42:24 4,271 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:
    Rauha wrote:
    1. She was praying for over 2 hours last night. I never knew it was for 2 hours, or is she doing it by her choice?
    2. She wears that long gown (sorry I don't know the name), and the head scarf but not the face thing (sorry again). Why is it some woman choose to wear and some not. She has a good logical reason, but I wanted to know if there was any actual religious reason.
    3. We don't have pork in our house anyway, and I know Alcohol is a no no. If I were to buy meat from a muslim butchers, does it matter if I'm the one who cooks it?

    Sorry if this seems slightly out of the blue, just want to feel as comfortable as possible.

    Happy Ramadan.


    I'm not muslim but my best friend is, so use my answers as a guide...

    1. Doubt 2 hours is a requirement. If it were then muslims would be praying 10 hours a day!
    2. Women who wear the full dress do so because they want to show upmost adherence
    3. You can cook it

    Ah yes, NBZ already answered, but a second opinion is always welcome.
  • matt6666 16 Aug 2010 09:53:44 2,620 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Made a 5 donation to UNICEF to help teh towel heads for fish-fingers.. Karmas back on track big man!1
  • mcmonkeyplc 16 Aug 2010 09:58:01 39,411 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BAN Ki moon has done some good work about raising awareness on the scale of the problem.

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • MetalDog 16 Aug 2010 10:01:42 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why do they call him Mr. Ban instead of Mr. Moon? And everyone chucking a couple of quid that way is probably a good idea if they can manage it.

    Good luck with Ramadan muslim-dudes. Starting a week-long fast myself today, but with drinking, smoking and swearing still on my menu, I'm not sure I could do it your way without going on a murderous rampage, hats off to you.

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • twelveways 16 Aug 2010 10:12:13 3,952 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Most Asians use their family name first, if you were to westernise his name he would be Ki Moon Ban
  • MetalDog 16 Aug 2010 10:13:30 23,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, I see. It's an awesome name, either way.

    -- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

  • Retroid Moderator 16 Aug 2010 10:16:45 44,505 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Ah, I see. It's an awesome name, either way.
    Part of a UN tradition!
  • Deleted user 10 September 2010 17:09:41
    Eid Mubarak.
  • Load_2.0 10 Sep 2010 17:13:12 19,104 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    About time, I have been the only one in the casino at midday.

  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:47:24
    Post deleted
  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

    Next
Log in or register to reply