Ramadan starting soon around 1st september depending on moon sighting Page 7

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Deleted user 12 August 2010 18:48:06
    Nothing. It's to remind you that there are poorer people in this world than yourself. It's almost a challenge to yourself.
  • heyyo 12 Aug 2010 18:49:49 14,373 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Early this year innit? Or is it a early well wishing
  • Deleted user 12 August 2010 18:50:45
    I just got a Ramadan message from a Muslim friend, so I guess it's early this year.

The act of fasting is said to redirect the heart away from worldly activities, its purpose being to cleanse the inner soul and free it from harm. It also teaches Muslims to practice self-discipline, self-control,[10] sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate; thus encouraging actions of generosity and charity (Zakat).[11]

(wiki says it's today)
  • Deleted user 12 August 2010 18:53:24
    It started yesterday. Today is the 2nd day.
  • Deleted user 12 August 2010 19:05:08
    If you are a pregnant woman, with the upmost respect, don't be a fucking idiot and join in.
  • NBZ 12 Aug 2010 19:12:12 2,372 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    heyyo! wrote:

Its based on a lunar calendar, so compared to the solar calendar, ramadan will be approximately 10 days earlier each year. Approx 355 days compared to 365.

So what happens if you don't fast?
    Nothing. It's to remind you that there are poorer people in this world than yourself. It's almost a challenge to yourself.

While that also happens, it is not the explicit reasoning. It is about becoming more godfearing, patient etc (as with other acts, they generally have a "proof" of some sort to them but not eating is not something that you can easily do to show others, to show off etc.).

With about 90 minutes to go I must say that I did expect to struggle with this, but it has been surprisingly easy. 1 (almost) down, potentially another 29 to go.
  • Khanivor 12 Aug 2010 19:31:00 40,850 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Damn, this Big Mac is fucking tasty ;)
  • BartonFink 12 Aug 2010 19:34:45 34,948 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmmmm just had a beautiful roast chicken dinner with potatoes, corn, and broccoli. Yum yum
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Aug 2010 19:37:22 24,562 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had three Ramadan appeal charity letters in two days! Just because I've got an Arabic name...grumble grumble. It takes all the fun out of getting mail!

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Deleted user 12 August 2010 19:37:37
    NBZ wrote:
    heyyo! wrote:

Its based on a lunar calendar, so compared to the solar calendar, ramadan will be approximately 10 days earlier each year. Approx 355 days compared to 365.

So what happens if you don't fast?

With about 90 minutes to go I must say that I did expect to struggle with this, but it has been surprisingly easy. 1 (almost) down, potentially another 29 to go.

Yeah. Years back I used to think that Ramadan during the the long days i.e Summer will be really difficult. Its not.
  • RabidChild 12 Aug 2010 20:07:43 2,292 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Man, its ramadanadingdong already?
  • NBZ 13 Aug 2010 21:44:05 2,372 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    If you are a pregnant woman, with the upmost respect, don't be a fucking idiot and join in.

Leave that for them to decide please. I am sure most have their own mind which they can use to think.

(and no, pregnant women and ill people do not need to fast, especially if there is risk to their health or the health of their babies.)
  • Lukus 13 Aug 2010 21:47:49 19,143 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What happens if someone fires a tasty burger into your mouth with a catapult during the no eating hours? Will God be angry?

Paintings & Photographs

• NBZ 13 Aug 2010 21:58:37 2,372 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Naturally, you have to stab that person to death using a spoon.

Or, more seriously, you are only accountable for what is in your control and even then, depending on intention.

For instance, if you forget that you are fasting and eat something, that does not break the fast, nor is it seen as something that is to be angry over etc. - it was an honest mistake.
  • Lukus 13 Aug 2010 22:24:01 19,143 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What if you were doing a sponsored eat-athon but rules stated it had to be during fasting hours?

Paintings & Photographs

• heyyo 13 Aug 2010 22:26:43 14,373 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can you drink water or smoke during fasting hours?
  • Lukus 13 Aug 2010 22:33:59 19,143 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can you indulge in sins of the flesh?

Paintings & Photographs

• heyyo 13 Aug 2010 22:34:24 14,373 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Forbidden
  • NBZ 13 Aug 2010 23:51:43 2,372 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    What if you were doing a sponsored eat-athon but rules stated it had to be during fasting hours?

You lose the contest.

heyyo! wrote:
    Can you drink water or smoke during fasting hours?

No.
  • Psychotext 13 Aug 2010 23:59:26 54,301 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No coffee or nicotine would mean one of the following for me...

1: Failure within the first four hours.
    2: Death of everyone within a radius of 1 mile.
    3: Medically induced coma for the fasting hours.
    4: Ascension.
  • Lukus 14 Aug 2010 00:03:17 19,143 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NBZ wrote:
    Lukus wrote:

You lose the contest.

But I thought you were supposed to be extra charitable during Ramadan?

Paintings & Photographs

• mwtb 14 Aug 2010 00:23:19 2,381 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NBZ wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

Leave that for them to decide please. I am sure most have their own mind which they can use to think.

Just out of interest do you actually believe that, by expressing an opinion, he was denying anyone the right to make up their own mind?
  • Deleted user 14 August 2010 00:30:38
    Mostly it's common sense. I'd imagine if you had a charitable eatathon that it would be allowed as it's charitable - and Ramadan is partly about charity.

@mwtb - to be fair on NBZ he's been answering people's pretty douche-y questions, so I'd cut him some slack.
  • mwtb 14 Aug 2010 00:35:18 2,381 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surely it would be better to ask the idiots to cut him some slack?
  • Lukus 14 Aug 2010 00:37:03 19,143 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hey, my questions are charmingly naive, not douche-y.

Paintings & Photographs

• BartonFink 14 Aug 2010 00:38:04 34,948 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bet everyone called Daniel is feeling pretty insecure around this time of the year.
  • Deleted user 14 August 2010 01:12:28
    NBZ wrote:
    mowgli wrote:

(and no, pregnant women and ill people do not need to fast, especially if there is risk to their health or the health of their babies.)
    No, they shouldn't be allowed to fast if in their first trimester. In the same way they shouldn't be allowed to drink and smoke. Just my opinion mate, don't mean to offend.
  • BartonFink 14 Aug 2010 01:17:23 34,948 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    tbh it's probably a bad idea during any stage of pregnancy
  • NBZ 14 Aug 2010 01:28:41 2,372 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    NBZ wrote:
    Lukus wrote:

You lose the contest.

But I thought you were supposed to be extra charitable during Ramadan?

You can be charitable without breaking the fast. Donate the money, do some other event or having the eatathon at iftaari time (but even then, gorging yourself is not exactly encouraged) or outside fasting hours.

If people do not want to fast, they cannot be fored to etc.

@ Mowgli - are you a doctor? If there are health risks, they need to be dealt with, but here, the person would need proper medical advice and this could change depending on when Ramadan falls - the answer for summer fasts would be different for winter fasts etc.
  • Deleted user 14 August 2010 01:34:08
    Well of course it changes with when It falls but regardless it still should be avoided, I can't link at the moment but there has been plenty of studies on the effects that fasting during the long summer fasts. Children being born with severe disabilities and the like.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last