The Ale Thread Page 88

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• Vortex808 23 Mar 2014 01:26:34 7,212 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a few miscellaneous beers over the weekend, but nothing much of note.

Best name so far has been 'Baron von Bellicose bluster & bollocks' IPA. Sadly, it was all hoppy over potent bluster (7.5%). Impressive mutton-chopped fellow on the bottle too.

Not the worst beer, but a sad impression of what could have been an impressive package had the beer lived up to the image.
  • Psychotext 23 Mar 2014 01:39:30 54,301 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm drinking an Old Tom. Reliable.

Had some lovely beers from Brains's craft brewery over the last few days. Achilles Heel, Rye Catcher and Black Mountain. All excellent.
  • Megapocalypse 23 Mar 2014 11:24:10 5,443 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Girlfriend bought me a bottle of Old Tom amongst others for valentines day, not looking at the strength. Looking forward to it but not found the right moment to drink it yet.

Spent a few days down in the New Forest last week drinking Ringwood 49er. Lovely stuff especially when it hasn't traveled far. Couldn't find anywhere with Thumper on though. :(
  • mal 23 Mar 2014 23:59:56 22,605 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had a Jester from Rooster tonight. Apparently a limited edition using new Jester hops. Based on this, a qualified success. A little bitter on the tongue, but a decent if unexceptional aftertaste. With the right other ingredients could do well, but not the best for a straight pale ale in my book.

Next up was something going by the name 3.9, named after its ABV. Can't remember the brewery, and my google-fu fails me, but it's a far more successful session beer than the above. Better body, still lacking in aftertaste.

Last couple of beers were from Salamander, who I think are Bradford based, but if so their website isn't up to much. Their beers are a mite better though. Their porter (which I don't have the name of unfortunately) was impressive stuff, with an initial bitter taste (not unexpected for a porter) which was identified by some as a licorice note, followed by a lovely rounded coffee flavour just as you thought the show was over. Probably the best porter I've drunk for a while. And then I had a Queen's Ransom from the same brewery, which was an example in how to do a pale ale compared to the previous. Hard to review given the then recent memories of the porter, but it had enough body to not be completely lost, and finished on a sweet note, which is always appreciated in an ale by me. I hope to come across this brewery in future tours and see what else they've come up with.

Edited by mal at 00:00:41 24-03-2014

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Vortex808 24 Mar 2014 09:46:27 7,212 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    After a 10k race yesterday I cracked a 'recovery' ale when I got home- a St Eriks IPA from Sweden. It was everything an IPA should be and went down a treat. Nice.

And well-earned too! ;-)
  • Vortex808 29 Mar 2014 23:24:15 7,212 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just had a 'strong suffolk dark ale' from greene king.

It was most pleasant. I will certainly be buying that again.
  • BeardedGamerUK 7 Apr 2014 17:37:45 1,463 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Just had my my second visit to a Wetherspoons pub during the current beer festival and I'm feeling rather merry :D Amongst various ales I had a beer that tasted of plums (fnar fnar) and a beer from New Zealand :)
  • HarryB 7 Apr 2014 19:08:35 6,210 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Currently having a few bottles of Brewdog Jackhammer
  • Vortex808 9 Apr 2014 19:26:48 7,212 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been sampling various Austrian brews while abroad in Vienna. All have been nice so far. Am now trying a 9.6% monster called Urbock. It's definitely potent and up there with the strongest Belgian beers I've tried.

I should probably have known better, there are definite shades of guldendrak-style over-potency here. It's just a little bit too strong to be pleasant.
  • Bremenacht 17 Apr 2014 16:28:21 18,458 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    You likely won't find this outside of Yorkshire, probably not outside of York and even then you'd have to go to the new ale shop on the Shambles where it's sold but believe me booze hounds, it's worth elbowing the tourists aside to sample the new king of the sweets - Two Chefs.

Now, you miserable, jaded wretches are probably wondering why all the acclaim for a honey beer and why can't you stay inside all weekend, eat Monster Munch and play Titanfall like any other social pariah. I say, no. Put that oversized exoskeleton down, get outside into the sun and settle down with a drop of this most majestic of tipples.

Not much on the nose to suggest what the palate is about to experience but tease those taste buds with barely a tincture and they'll be crying for more. Sweet, but not to the point of saccharine, rich without being overbearing and so delightfully smooth, this is a luxury drink for a splendid warm day in the garden, watching the other half doing the gardening.
    Visited the Pipe and Glass recently and had some on draught. Very, very nice indeed. Took the best part of a pint before I could pick out the flavours. Well worth the trip.
  • Psychotext 17 Apr 2014 23:56:44 54,301 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just tried a Japanese White Ale. Was really quite delicious, unlike any beer I've had before.

Hitachino Nest
    "This white ale is brewed with wheat malt and flavoured with coriander, orange peel and nutmeg"
  • Vortex808 18 Apr 2014 10:15:59 7,212 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds nice, I will have to keep my peepers peeled for that if I make a pilgrimage to a beer shop in the next few months!
  • Psychotext 29 Apr 2014 15:03:42 54,301 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brewdog not happy:

On behalf of BrewDog PLC and its 14,691 individual shareholders, I would like to issue a formal apology to the Portman Group for not giving a shit about todayís ruling. Indeed, we are sorry for never giving a shit about anything the Portman Group has to say, and treating all of its statements with callous indifference and nonchalance.

Unfortunately, the Portman Group is a gloomy gaggle of killjoy jobsworths, funded by navel-gazing international drinks giants. Their raison díÍtre is to provide a diversion for the true evils of this industry, perpetrated by the gigantic faceless brands that pay their wages. Blinkered by this soulless mission, they treat beer drinkers like brain dead zombies and vilify creativity and competition. Therefore, we have never given a second thought to any of the grubby newspeak they disseminate periodically.

While the Portman Group lives out its days deliberating whether a joke on a bottle of beer is responsible or irresponsible use of humour, at BrewDog we will just get on with brewing awesome beer and treating our customers like adults. Iím sure that makes Henry Ashworth cry a salty tear into his shatterproof tankard of Directors as he tries to enforce his futile and toothless little marketing code, but we couldnít give a shit about that, either.

http://mashable.com/2014/04/28/scottish-brewer-shows-how-to-issue-a-damn-apology/
  • MrSemprini 29 Apr 2014 19:53:06 9,418 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds sincere enough. Now, where's the apology for Hardcore IPA?

Sampled a couple of sippers at the weekend. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - 15% and £10 of almost intolerable indulgence in a bottle. The bourbon ageing didn't overpower the stouty notes like some whisky ones can and it delivered a full, smooth taste that was heavier than a lactating Katy Perry.

Founders Backwoods Bastard, also bourbon aged but weighing in at a mere 10.2% and £7 a throw. Probably tackled these the wrong way round as this wasn't quite as overpowering as the Goose Island which made it eminently more quaffable but with all taste senses still bewitched it didn't have quite the impact it might have done had it been the aperitif.
  • JuanKerr 29 Apr 2014 22:36:00 36,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brewdog are attention seeking twats, but I do like that response. It's clearly attention seeking, but I'll let them off.

Didn't like the dig at Director's though. Cunts.
  • Psychotext 29 Apr 2014 23:40:53 54,301 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha, it's sad but I sort of felt the same way. :D
  • drhickman1983 29 Apr 2014 23:57:09 345 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Brew Dog are pretty crap really. All image, not much substance. Not awful beer but not that great. Talk like they're a much smaller company than they really are.
  • JuanKerr 30 Apr 2014 09:03:06 36,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's very true - they still like to portray themselves as some plucky little upstart, sticking it to the man. However, they're actually a pretty big company now and you can pick their beers up in Tesco. Not very 'punk' is it?

Edited by JuanKerr at 09:07:40 30-04-2014
  • Goban 30 Apr 2014 10:01:02 9,071 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Victims of their own success a bit.
  • JuanKerr 30 Apr 2014 10:20:04 36,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess so, but they could at least drop the whole 'punk' shtick now. Mind you, that's their USP I guess.
  • Goban 30 Apr 2014 11:51:18 9,071 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's what they've built their business on, and done very well with it. They haven't 'sold out' so fair play to them in my book.
  • mikew1985 30 Apr 2014 11:53:28 12,785 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A load of their beers on tap in a newly renovated pub in my hometown. Much better than the majority of the swill served.
  • askew 30 Apr 2014 11:57:26 12,323 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Just tried a Japanese White Ale. Was really quite delicious, unlike any beer I've had before.

Hitachino Nest
    "This white ale is brewed with wheat malt and flavoured with coriander, orange peel and nutmeg"
    Whereaboots did you get this from? Big fan of weissbier, particularly as it gets warmer!
  • Deleted user 30 April 2014 11:59:55
    Tried a few different Ales in Smugglers Cove at the Albert Docks recently. They had about 7 barrels lined up behind the bar and w aimed to try each one. Managed 3 or 4 but the best of the bunch was called 'West Coast', 7.something%. Delicious, but was quite pissed afterwards not being a heavy drinker.
  • drhickman1983 30 Apr 2014 12:03:49 345 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    A load of their beers on tap in a newly renovated pub in my hometown. Much better than the majority of the swill served.
    There beers are better than the generic bland lager that most bars pump out, but it's nothing special.

And they're overpriced. I'd have a lot more sympathy for their whole schtick if they didn't charge what I consider premium prices.
  • askew 30 Apr 2014 12:12:02 12,323 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If they get folks interested in exploring the world of ale/stout/sours/whathaveyou, then I've got no beef with them. Particularly as they do have a good range of bottles and draft beers from other breweries that change on a regular basis.
  • Goban 30 Apr 2014 12:21:46 9,071 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not up on wholesale prices but supermarkets do seriously take this piss with their mark ups on some 'luxury' brands.
  • Psychotext 30 Apr 2014 12:52:50 54,301 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    feeg86 wrote:
    Tried a few different Ales in Smugglers Cove at the Albert Docks recently. They had about 7 barrels lined up behind the bar and w aimed to try each one. Managed 3 or 4 but the best of the bunch was called 'West Coast', 7.something%. Delicious, but was quite pissed afterwards not being a heavy drinker.
    Most places will give you small samples for free.
  • Benno 30 Apr 2014 13:20:28 9,932 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    MrSemprini wrote:
    You likely won't find this outside of Yorkshire, probably not outside of York and even then you'd have to go to the new ale shop on the Shambles where it's sold but believe me booze hounds, it's worth elbowing the tourists aside to sample the new king of the sweets - Two Chefs.

Now, you miserable, jaded wretches are probably wondering why all the acclaim for a honey beer and why can't you stay inside all weekend, eat Monster Munch and play Titanfall like any other social pariah. I say, no. Put that oversized exoskeleton down, get outside into the sun and settle down with a drop of this most majestic of tipples.

Not much on the nose to suggest what the palate is about to experience but tease those taste buds with barely a tincture and they'll be crying for more. Sweet, but not to the point of saccharine, rich without being overbearing and so delightfully smooth, this is a luxury drink for a splendid warm day in the garden, watching the other half doing the gardening.
    Visited the Pipe and Glass recently and had some on draught. Very, very nice indeed. Took the best part of a pint before I could pick out the flavours. Well worth the trip.
    Yes I went to the ale shop on the Shambles and bought myself a bottle of Two Chefs. A very nice beer, really interesting profile, especially after the first few sips. Thanks for the recommendation.

Are other Pipe and Glass brews of this quality?
  • JuanKerr 30 Apr 2014 15:05:39 36,280 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    I'm not up on wholesale prices but supermarkets do seriously take this piss with their mark ups on some 'luxury' brands.
    It's a bit different with beer - supermarkets often sell even decent beer below cost price. The chap who runs my local independent beer shop says he doesn't even bother stocking the same beers as Tesco as they sell it cheaper than he can buy it a wholesale (I'm aware he could be bullshitting, of course!).
  • Page

of 90 First / Last