The Ale Thread Page 87

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• Psychotext 14 Jan 2014 01:38:03 54,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just had a Teleporter Ten Malt Porter by Summer Wine Brewery. Really, really nice. I'd say easily one of the best porters I've ever had.

I'm definitely going to have to find where I can buy more of them.
  • Vortex808 8 Mar 2014 22:25:51 7,162 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonight:

Savour brewery Saison. Very nice.

Speyside craft brewery Moray IPA. Not so nice.

Last night a Shipyard brewing co IPA. Ok, but I have had a lot nicer brews. I probably wouldn't buy it again to be honest.
  • Psychotext 11 Mar 2014 00:25:43 54,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not really had much that's stood out for a while. I guess mostly because I've tried everything that's available in all the local supermarkets.

I need to visit some more off licences.
  • Vortex808 11 Mar 2014 08:35:18 7,162 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Not really had much that's stood out for a while. I guess mostly because I've tried everything that's available in all the local supermarkets.
    Our local morrisons were really good for a year or two, stocking plenty of local brews and changing them around reasonably regularly, but sadly the beer range has been slashed and padded out with cider. Grr.

Hitting shops in a few towns around 25 miles away is generally the only way to get new beers to try now. :(

Had a cracking saison from strawman breweries on sunday night.

That was definitely worth the trek to that shop. I really wish i would buy more than just one bottle when i'm sampling new beers. I suppose you never know if it'll be a hit or a miss when you buy it. They were saying that one was really nice and I should trust their juddgement by now, i've never disagreed with a beer they've said was nice yet.

Edited by Vortex808 at 08:35:55 11-03-2014
  • twelveways 11 Mar 2014 16:27:54 4,024 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got a really nice Cornish IPA called Proper Job at the moment, going down very nicely. Pretty good acquisition considering I live in the arse end of China.
  • MrSemprini 14 Mar 2014 15:32:47 9,416 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You likely won't find this outside of Yorkshire, probably not outside of York and even then you'd have to go to the new ale shop on the Shambles where it's sold but believe me booze hounds, it's worth elbowing the tourists aside to sample the new king of the sweets - Two Chefs.

Now, you miserable, jaded wretches are probably wondering why all the acclaim for a honey beer and why can't you stay inside all weekend, eat Monster Munch and play Titanfall like any other social pariah. I say, no. Put that oversized exoskeleton down, get outside into the sun and settle down with a drop of this most majestic of tipples.

Not much on the nose to suggest what the palate is about to experience but tease those taste buds with barely a tincture and they'll be crying for more. Sweet, but not to the point of saccharine, rich without being overbearing and so delightfully smooth, this is a luxury drink for a splendid warm day in the garden, watching the other half doing the gardening.
  • Benno 14 Mar 2014 15:48:35 9,910 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sold! I live 5 min walk from the shambles, will give it a try :)
  • imamazed 14 Mar 2014 15:50:06 5,642 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Honey beer is always too sweet for me
  • Psychotext 14 Mar 2014 20:40:30 54,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Got a really nice Cornish IPA called Proper Job at the moment, going down very nicely.
    Proper Job is a genuinely good ale.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Mar 2014 21:05:30 38,283 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got some Trooper to drink tonight.

Up the Irons!

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Vortex808 14 Mar 2014 21:41:44 7,162 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's a far better beer than I ever expected. Very drinkable. The wifie on the till wondered what the hell eddie was when I picked a few up in a supermarket when I first spotted it. :)

Another Scapa Special IPA tonight from Swanney brewery in Orkney. Not quite as nice as a Jaipur, but highly drinkable indeed.
  • Bremenacht 14 Mar 2014 22:22:05 18,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    Two Chefs.
    I know the Pipe and Glass. Lovely pub. Ever so posh - shootin' and huntin' and ridin' types galore. I'll try that next time I'm around there.
  • mal 14 Mar 2014 23:21:58 22,582 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I've got some Trooper to drink tonight.

Up the Irons!
    Nice, I picked up a bottle of that last time I was in Morrisons. Oddly, despite having rellies in Stockport, the only other Robinson's brew I know is Old Tom.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• binky Moderator 15 Mar 2014 00:11:02 9,643 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm heading for a tour and taste session at the Shepherd Neame brewery tomorrow \o/
  • Psychotext 15 Mar 2014 01:15:29 54,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 Mar 2014 20:17:12 25,917 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just had a bottle of this:

http://www.ilkleybrewery.co.uk/mobile/beer/the-mayan-chocolate-chipotle-stout

And it is surprisingly delicious! Unexpectedly light, very chocolately and the chilli heat is subtle but gives it a nice tang. Awesome stuff!
  • Psychotext 15 Mar 2014 20:44:01 54,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Found a fucking awesome off licence near(ish) to me. They have about 100 beers I've never tried and the guy says that they've actually got a lot less than usual because they're awaiting new lines.

Win.
  • cjb_bjc 15 Mar 2014 21:21:14 1,094 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm a pretty new ale drinker. Mainly like lager. Well I think its just the bubbles. Wetherspoons have some good American craft beers on at the moment. But I'm really into punk ipa. It's fantastic. Love the grapefruity notes.
  • Bremenacht 15 Mar 2014 21:24:10 18,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loads of nice beers that aren't so different in taste to lager. Plenty of nice lagers that act like beers too!
  • Vortex808 15 Mar 2014 21:32:17 7,162 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Having a Boont Amber Ale (5.8%). Made by a californian solar powered brewery allegedly.

It's an odd one. I'm not entirely sold on it, as it's overly treacle-y tasting for want of a better word, and yet it's ok.
  • Psychotext 15 Mar 2014 21:42:21 54,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had three particularly nice ales tonight. Two from Crafty Dan and another from Brains. 13 guns, Black Mountain and Dirty Stop Out.
  • twelveways 16 Mar 2014 03:24:01 4,024 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bought a logue of ales from the Rogue Brewery in Oregon last night, Dead Guy is quite nice, haven't tried the rest yet and can't remember what they are called :(

The shop had a bottle of maple bacon beer from the same brewery for 400 RMB (about 40 quid). Think I might treat myself on my birthday...
  • Psychotext 16 Mar 2014 08:05:50 54,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kinell, that's a pricey beer. I think I'd want a sample first.
  • twelveways 16 Mar 2014 08:30:13 4,024 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They had one for 1000RMB (about 100 quid). It was only a half litre clear bottle with no writing on it wrapped in brown paper with what looked like a hand drawn penguin and '6.7%' written on it and 'Brewed in Belgium'. I thought he was taking the piss at first until he told me that it wasn't for sale.
  • twelveways 16 Mar 2014 08:32:25 4,024 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    twelveways wrote:
    Got a really nice Cornish IPA called Proper Job at the moment, going down very nicely.
    Proper Job is a genuinely good ale.
    They sold out :( They get all their stuff imported by friends who study or work in the UK so they have no idea when or if it will come back.

Really gutted as I honestly think it was one of the nicest beers I have had for a long long time.
  • mal 21 Mar 2014 00:00:52 22,582 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Had a York Guzzler and (I think) an Abbeydale Absolution today. The former was inoffensive enough, but golden ales are not my favourite style - give me a proper pale ale any day. The Absolution tasted a bit sour to me, though that could possibly have been a duff pint. But heavy at 5.3% as well.

In the end I had to drink guinness. With the weather today I could have done with a nice sweet dark pint of something with a bit of flavour, but all they had were light ales and lagers (and the aforementioned guinness).

• Syrette 21 Mar 2014 00:11:45 43,529 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Going to have a couple of these tomorrow after work:

Chiltern Brewery's white wheat

1 day ago

New for 2014 and the first of our limited edition ales for the year, our White beer has been going down a storm.

Clear, pale, smooth and creamy, it is a lovely light spring ale with a citrus aroma and slight hints of wild flowers overlying a soft wheat malt base.

Great for this time of year and the perfect start to our year of limited edition special ales.

• Bremenacht 21 Mar 2014 00:19:30 18,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    In the end I had to drink guinness.
    I cannot drink Guinness anymore. I've been spoiled by many glorious stouts and porters, so much so that Guinness now tastes unpleasant.
  • mal 21 Mar 2014 00:43:35 22,582 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've always maintained my ability to drink Guinness as a sort of protection against places that only sell lager, cider, guinness and maybe boddies/john smiths, of which there are less than there used to be, but there's still a few around. Normally of course I wouldn't frequent such a place, but if I'm out with a bunch of lager drinkers I can't always veto these places. And there's always the time when all the bitters are objectionable, as above. It helps that Guinness pretty much tastes the same everywhere, although granted it doesn't taste of very much, at least it rarely tastes of anything too bad when you drink it, even in the seediest dives.

In other Ale news, I noticed in Morrisons the other day that Black Sheep and Everards are doing that supermarket's own brand bitters and ales now. I couldn't discern if they are analogues of any of the standard brews from the labelling, but I'll be doing more research to see if I can find out what they actually are.

• Page

of 90 First / Last