The Ale Thread Page 82

• Page

of 89 First / Last

• monkehhh 21 Sep 2013 18:10:41 3,273 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Went to the Jersey beer festival yesterday - really busy and a good selection of booze (and food). The Orkney Skull Splitter stands out as it was the first and strongest 'half' I had (they were more like 3/4 pints), for the strength it was delicious. The others I tried were mainly American-style pale things, and a local Liberation lager-style thing that was also pretty tasty.
  • MikeP 21 Sep 2013 18:23:30 1,771 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Is it sad that I've got a spreadsheet of all of the beers I've tried? I'm up to something like 70 of them now and I don't have a hope in hell of remembering them. :(
    Hah, I've made a little web-app and have been logging them. Any interest in making it public - like a twitter for beers?

I enjoyed this last night: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/90585. Not quite as lip-puckeringly sour as Cantillon's Gueze, but the tartness was really refreshing. Almost reminded me of champagne.
    That would be a great idea.

I was down near Lyme Regis on holiday recently. There's a small brewery right in the centre, called the Town Mill Brewery. Their Black Ven is a good pint.

Had a bottle of the Compass Brewery's Baltic Night yesterday. An excellent stout, with a noticeable coffee aroma. It's dry-hopped, which is unusual for a stout.
  • Psychotext 22 Sep 2013 10:54:54 53,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow... the people on that site take their descriptions seriously!

Mine runs to "did you like it?", "yes".
  • BeardedGamerUK 22 Sep 2013 14:42:16 1,304 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Had a look at the 50 beers that will be in next months Wetherspoons Beer festival and blimey there's a lot of good ones! It starts two days before my birthday as well, which is good and the festival finishes on Halloween.

I can't stand the whole taking beer too seriously and coming up with stupid descriptions thing. Most important thing is does a beer taste good and then you can have some fun with the names of these beers. Couldn't care less what hops they use or what they think there is a hint of in the taste. Real Ale is good for you and over analyzing beer is not :D
  • askew 22 Sep 2013 14:47:54 12,057 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well said!
  • Psychotext 27 Sep 2013 00:35:41 53,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sainsburys just added a massive number of beers to their range. They have a completely new section in my local store just for "award winning" beers and ciders. Walked out with about £40 worth and I could have bought more. :D
  • Psychotext 30 Sep 2013 16:04:40 53,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get in there!

As of Thursday Aldi will be selling Pumpking for only 99p a bottle.
  • JuanKerr 30 Sep 2013 16:20:59 36,204 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good find. There's an Aldi opening near me soon as well, result.
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2013 16:33:13 9,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    There goes the neighbourhood.
  • markh 30 Sep 2013 16:42:21 3,598 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Psychotext This is part of The Great British Beer Hunt which is an annual event in Sainsburys. Basically all of those beer are regional winners and the top three sellers from that range win a years placement on the shelves.

The beers will only be in the stores until 2nd October though!
  • Psychotext 30 Sep 2013 16:42:58 53,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like I'm going on a spending spree then.
  • StixxUK 30 Sep 2013 16:54:56 7,232 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @monkehhh I had some of that at the Bootlegger in High Wycombe (excellent pub btw if anyone lives nearby, massive selection of bottled beers).

It lived up to its name, the next day hurt.
  • JuanKerr 30 Sep 2013 17:02:48 36,204 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Fortunately, it's in the 'other' part of town where the working class hang out.
  • MrSemprini 30 Sep 2013 17:05:12 9,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    MrSemprini wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Fortunately, it's in the 'other' part of town where the working class hang out.
    Thank goodness for that. You can just send one of the staff to pick some up and have them put it in a Fortnum & Mason bag before he gets to the manor.

Edited by MrSemprini at 17:05:29 30-09-2013
  • askew 1 Oct 2013 20:41:15 12,057 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    markh wrote:
    @Psychotext This is part of The Great British Beer Hunt which is an annual event in Sainsburys. Basically all of those beer are regional winners and the top three sellers from that range win a years placement on the shelves.

Aha! Just came in here to post about this. Picked up a haul - for £1.50 a bottle for each of the shortlist, it was rude not to!

They've got Gower Gold ;)
  • Psychotext 1 Oct 2013 20:56:33 53,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had that a couple of days ago, enjoyed it.
  • Vortex808 5 Oct 2013 23:28:52 6,975 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    askew wrote:
    markh wrote:

Aha! Just came in here to post about this. Picked up a haul - for £1.50 a bottle for each of the shortlist, it was rude not to!

They've got Gower Gold ;)
    Cheers folks, thanks for mentioning this. Went in to one today and grabbed an 8 bottle haul.

Sipping a Querkus smoked oaked porter as I type. 5.8% from Ridgeway Oxfordshire.

I really like it, which  is a surprise given my dislike of a rauchbier I tried last year. If all the other brews are as good I shall be a happy bunny.  :)
  • Vortex808 12 Oct 2013 23:00:00 6,975 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A bottle of Barney's brew by Hilden brewing co 5% wheat beer. It's grown on me, but I wasn't too keen on it to begin with. It claims to be spiced with cardamom, coriander and black pepper. It's certainly a bit fruity/zesty to begin with, but it's not too bad after a bit.
  • MrSemprini 14 Oct 2013 09:32:10 9,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wheat beers and I just don't get on.

Now, if you're looking for something to pep you up on a dull Monday morning, look no further than an actual decent ale from the oft rightly maligned Brewdoggers - Cocoa Psycho. 10% Russian Imperial Stout, stacked with everything you'd expect - dark malts, coffee, vanilla and choccy all woven together to give a satisfyingly rich and pleasant bitter taste. This was on tap at the Brewdog bar in Leeds but is likely much the same in bottled form and probably just as overpriced but a welcome little tipple for a treat now and again.
  • askew 14 Oct 2013 10:45:49 12,057 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sainsbury's seem to be stocking Meantime's London Lager (heresy!) and Pale Ale.

Hoping they have plans to bottle their Yakima Red - had that on tap and enjoyed it.
  • BeardedGamerUK 14 Oct 2013 11:15:45 1,304 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Oh Meantime beers are great :D Not sure about trying their lager though O.O
  • Vortex808 17 Oct 2013 17:34:07 6,975 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a bottle of bellerose Bierce blonde last night. A cross between a Bierce de Garde and an IPA from st Amand brewery.

It was very nice I must say. Also had some octoberfest beer from west brewery which was rather pleasant too.
  • BeardedGamerUK 17 Oct 2013 18:37:22 1,304 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Am right now drinking a bottle of Goliath brewed by the Wychwood Brewery :) Tastes like a lower strength Hobgoblin.

Anyone been to the Wetherspoons Beer Festival yet?
  • DaM 17 Oct 2013 18:44:08 12,902 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spent the last few days in a hotel, near the foot of Schiehallion, drinking in the Schiehallion Bar - you might expect even a token effort at real ales could include the lovely Schiehallion from Harviestoun Brewery, available bottled....but nope, piss lager and factory bitter.

That was the view out the window - once you had pulled the thick curtains aside and peered over the bushes outside....they really didn't play to their strengths!

Edited by DaM at 18:45:16 17-10-2013
  • mal 17 Oct 2013 21:36:08 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Speaking of Meantime beers, I ended up at an urban festival thing where they only sold their beer in bottles. Oddly, I found the Lager to be more flavoursome than their Pale Ale.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Vortex808 17 Oct 2013 22:32:53 6,975 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Spent the last few days in a hotel, near the foot of Schiehallion, drinking in the Schiehallion Bar - you might expect even a token effort at real ales could include the lovely Schiehallion from Harviestoun Brewery, available bottled....but nope, piss lager and factory bitter.

That was the view out the window - once you had pulled the thick curtains aside and peered over the bushes outside....they really didn't play to their strengths!
    What? They're missing a trick not having schiehallion on draught there, at worst they could at least have got some bottles of it in. 'Tis a cracking brew.
  • Vortex808 18 Oct 2013 20:37:13 6,975 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonight is a Halloween theme. A bottle of pumpking, then on to a moorhouse's Pendle witches brew.

With a pack of monster munch to nibble on too. Pickled onion of course. :-)
  • Vortex808 26 Oct 2013 01:37:00 6,975 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A Bird's brewery 'Serendipity' followed by a Sadler's 'Mellow Yellow'. Both 4.odd%. First was a golden ale, second was a honey ale.

Both very pleasant, with the mellow yellow being my favourite. That could be due to the fact it was my third of the evening and after a run earlier, so I am definitely feeling a beer buzz which may be clouding my judgement slightly.
  • Psychotext 27 Oct 2013 22:33:29 53,855 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    With a pack of monster munch to nibble on too. Pickled onion of course. :-)
    Try the limited edition spider web ones. Bacony!
  • Vortex808 28 Oct 2013 13:42:09 6,975 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I never knew about those, however, I shall now be keeping an eye open for them!
  • Page

of 89 First / Last