The Ale Thread Page 76

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• Jono62 15 Jan 2013 20:30:05 14,198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Too far for me Muttler, unfortunately. Have a great time quaffing those ales.

Vortex - What's the offering for today?
  • Vortex808 15 Jan 2013 22:18:10 7,299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:

Vortex - What's the offering for today?
    Sadly, abstinence through the week is my usual motto- or at least until thursday. ;)

Then it's some gaming and a beer.

If it's been a tough week I'll maybe have one tomorrow - having all these beers I've never tasted before is a real temptation.

That rauchbier nearly put me off though

/shudders

Enjoy the beer fest muttler, have one or two for us all!
  • Vortex808 17 Jan 2013 20:29:46 7,299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonight's tipple is a Luckie Ales 'Midnycht Myld'. At 5.6% it doesn't seem that mild. It's a very dark beer, almost to the a stout colour.

It claims to be a dark, malty full-bodied mild ale with some residual sweetness and roast coffee flavours. I'm not getting the coffee flavours, but it is malty and almost a bit fruity.

S'allright, but not earth-shattering.

I wish I had chosen the jaipur or german beer that was fluttering it's eyelashes at me. Either way, it's a lot better than the rather minging smoke beer from last week!
  • Jono62 17 Jan 2013 20:32:54 14,198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jaipur is always a good tipple.
  • Vortex808 17 Jan 2013 20:51:57 7,299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Jaipur is always a good tipple.
    Indeed it is. I've had it before, and bought one again as I liked it a lot. My plan was to buy a load of unknown beers, but I couldn't resist it and a couple of others I'd had before.

I'm trying hard to try to taste the unknowns first. With a few hit and miss results recently, but that's the chance you take.

I wish I could get a few days to hit a beer fest like muttler to make the most of it for a day or two!
  • Jono62 18 Jan 2013 20:10:20 14,198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Vortex808 As I was saying in the Gears thread, this is what I'll be up against:

http://thecraftbeerco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/slide3.jpg

Can't wait!
  • Vortex808 18 Jan 2013 20:55:03 7,299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :)

Have a great night mate!

I'm going to make do with a Maisel's Weisse beer. A really nice and light weiss beer.

The Germans definitely know how to brew a great beer.

Except for that smoky monstrosity from last week, but that's the only German beer that I've not liked much, so I'll forget about that.

Edited by Vortex808 at 21:03:38 18-01-2013
  • muttler 19 Jan 2013 10:39:17 4,132 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a great time at the ale fest yesterday.  Tried the Russian Imperial Stout from Teignmouth Brewery, 13% abv.  Really fookin strong! 

A few recommendations (that I can remember):
    Dark Star / Critical Mass
    Town Mill / Lucy's Sledge
    RCH / Santa Fe
    Salopian / Firkin Freezin
    Teignworthy / Russian Imperial Stout
    Exe Valley / It's Phil's Ale
    Moor / Old Freddie Walker
    Bristol Beer Factory / Bitter Californian
    Butcombe / Old Vic Porter
  • Jono62 19 Jan 2013 10:42:21 14,198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dark Star make some great ales.
  • Vortex808 19 Jan 2013 21:02:31 7,299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the beer fest muttlee.

I tried a Colonsay 80/- last night and am having a Colonsay IPA tonight.

Both were ok, but I wouldn't rush out to try them again.

Might have the Jaipur later.

Mmmm.

Hope you're supping plenty of beers tonight Jono.
  • Jono62 19 Jan 2013 21:56:26 14,198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am and feeling rather squiffy now! Probably wasn't a good idea to have the 11% monster!
  • MrSemprini 23 Jan 2013 23:34:40 9,421 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rauchbier being dismissed as some sort of inferior brew? If it wasn't readily available over here it'd be reason enough to consider moving there.

Now then good people, try some of this if you can find it, Heather Honey Stout. An odd choice to add to a stout, you don't normally expect this kind of overt sweetness. Greg Wallace would love it. And at 10%, I did too.
  • Jono62 24 Jan 2013 08:35:35 14,198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thornbridge do some good stuff.

I tried Evil Twin's Yin and Yang Stout. It was sweet, too sweet for my liking, but went down quite fast and at 11%, is a wrong move!

I'll be making my annual pilgrimage to here in February.
  • MrSemprini 24 Jan 2013 10:34:15 9,421 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Might have to try and get a sample of that stuff. For all their faults, Brewdog still turn out some damn fine ales.

Battersea has a good selection as usual. Make sure you get the 1872 down you this time! The Binghams offerings look tempting, Thornbridge Imperial Russian is a must and you need a go on Dark Side of the Moose if only for the name.
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jan 2013 10:38:47 44,506 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't think of a Brewdog that I'd go out of my way for - which were you thinking of MrSemprini?

If we're mainstreaming it though, Adnam's Old is a lovely dark ale / porter, I was highly pleased.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• JuanKerr 24 Jan 2013 10:42:00 36,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Adnam's Old is technically an Old Ale.

/pedant
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jan 2013 10:46:16 44,506 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't know that was a thing? Well impressed anyway, I got a couple of bottles to store*.

*drink immediately

• JuanKerr 24 Jan 2013 11:09:41 36,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Old Ales, also referred to in the past as "Stock" Ales, are low attenuated beers with high levels of dextrins, creating a full malt body with plenty of character. Old Ales of a hundred plus years ago were often transferred into vats to mature, hence the name.

Rich dark amber in color to a very dark brown; near black. Tamed aromatics. Although bittering levels can greatly vary, expect common fruity, vinous, intense malts and sharp alcohol characteristics. The often racy but mellow attitude of the beer may also include acidic notes, raisins and black currants. Vintage varieties may have a low level of oxidation. Stronger versions may have similarities to a port wine. Brewers may also inoculate a portion of the batch with Brettanomyces lambicus and age for an extended period of time to achieve an old-school acidic character.

Just off the top of my head, of course.
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jan 2013 11:22:18 44,506 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

Anyway, I liked Adnam's Old Ale.

• MrSemprini 24 Jan 2013 11:39:39 9,421 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Can't think of a Brewdog that I'd go out of my way for - which were you thinking of MrSemprini?
    Alice Porter is a thing of greatness. Forget all their hop monsters and gimmicks, their darker ales can be divine.
  • JuanKerr 24 Jan 2013 11:57:29 36,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Never tried Alice Porter - will give it a go though. Last Brew Dog beer I had was their Hardcore IPA (rebranded for Tesco in true 'punk' fashion). Undrinkable shit that was.

I have to applaud what they've achieved in a relatively short space of time though, very impressive.
  • MrSemprini 24 Jan 2013 12:00:44 9,421 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's the sort of swill that does them no favours. Not in this thread anyway.
  • JuanKerr 24 Jan 2013 12:03:38 36,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Precisely. I had a similar strength (9% ish) Emelisse double IPA a few weeks back and that was lovely. You'd never know it was ridiculously strong. Unlike Brew Dog's effort.
  • MikeP 24 Jan 2013 12:19:31 1,942 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As a Christmas present I was given a 24-week subscription to Beer Bods which has some promising beers.

Drank the Saltaire Triple Chocaholic Stout last night.

It's raved about, but for me, it's an example of just because you can do a thing, it doesn't mean you should. It was alright, but I'm not sure why people have been falling over themselves about it. I'm not a massive fan of some of the more esoteric adjuncts in beers.

Last week I did a presentation to some of the guys at work about brewing, so hopefully I can encourage some of my mates to have a go at making decent home brew.

Edited by MikeP at 12:22:38 24-01-2013

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• MrSemprini 24 Jan 2013 12:20:03 9,421 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Alice Porter is a relatively restrained 6% or so and all the better for it. At a guess I'd say it was light on Brettanomyces lambicus due to the lack of acidity. The dextrin content is more of a mystery.
  • MrSemprini 24 Jan 2013 12:23:59 9,421 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MikeP wrote:Drank the Saltaire Triple Chocaholic Stout last night.

It's raved about, but for me, it's an example of just because you can do a thing, it doesn't mean you should. It was alright, but I'm not sure why people have been falling over themselves about it.
    There are so many stouts that claim to be chocolate but many fail the taste test. The Triple Choc is certainly not for everyone but at least it lives up to its name.
  • Vortex808 24 Jan 2013 12:25:45 7,299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Their Punk IPA is utterly awful IMO, as I think I have mentioned numerous times in this thread. Despite knowing a few folk that do rate it, I think I could name a massive list of IPA's that are far more pleasant to drink. Brew Dog's effort is evenly matched in 'not to my taste at all' by rauchbier. ;-)

I will add that porter to my list of 'must try some time' too. I forget the names of one or two of theirs that I have had on tap that were very nice, but I concur with MrSemprini that they were both darker ales.

A mate who has sworn off booze claims that Brew Dog's no alcohol beer 'Nanny State' is the closest to the real thing he has had.

But how can I trust their judgement now they're teetotal? :)
  • JuanKerr 24 Jan 2013 12:33:13 36,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    MikeP wrote:Drank the Saltaire Triple Chocaholic Stout last night.

It's raved about, but for me, it's an example of just because you can do a thing, it doesn't mean you should. It was alright, but I'm not sure why people have been falling over themselves about it.
    There are so many stouts that claim to be chocolate but many fail the taste test. The Triple Choc is certainly not for everyone but at least it lives up to its name.
    Yeah, agree with this. I absolutely love the Triple Chocaholic - proper balls out chocolate stout.
  • JuanKerr 24 Jan 2013 12:47:10 36,311 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MikeP wrote:
    As a Christmas present I was given a 24-week subscription to Beer Bods which has some promising beers.
    Just reading about this Beer Bods thing - looks quite good actually. What beers did you get for the first 12 weeks?
  • Jono62 24 Jan 2013 15:36:20 14,198 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Noted Mr S. Hoping to revisit the Cambridge one as it was a wonderful day bar the company of scoundrels I had to keep. ;)

Everyone should try Dark Star espresso stout at least once
  • Page

of 90 First / Last