The Ale Thread Page 75

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• Vortex808 31 Dec 2012 22:56:36 7,063 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thus far:

1x Sierra Nevada 'Torpedo' extra IPA. 7.2% A bit rough to begin with, but pleasant by the end.

1x Swannay brewery 'Orkney blast' 6%. Very nice and is going down a treat.

Possibly further updates as events warrant...

Fyne Ales' 'Hurricane Jack' 4.4% A blonde & fruitily hopped ale. I won't disagree. Slightly cloudy, fair bit of hops, but not overly so. Most enjoyable.

Orkney brewery's atlas range '3 sisters' 80/-

Meh. It's ok. I should have picked the bottle of Alhambra or Warsteiner instead. I think I've tried all their brews in this range and none have really hit the spot.

Edited by Vortex808 at 01:36:59 01-01-2013
  • Jono62 31 Dec 2012 23:17:10 14,052 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Those Inis and Gunn ales were lovely. Will post a review when I'm more coherent!
  • Vortex808 31 Dec 2012 23:39:33 7,063 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Those Inis and Gunn ales were lovely. Will post a review when I'm more coherent!
    Look forward to reading it, but less posting here, more chatting up those metal ladies mate! ;-)

You should be guaranteed a top time at the bells.

Have a good one!
  • JuanKerr 2 Jan 2013 13:52:12 36,239 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where's the review then, Jono?

Kicked off New Year's eve with Marble/Emelisse's Early Grey IPA. Nice to finish the year with the best beer I had in 2012 :)
  • MrSemprini 2 Jan 2013 13:57:44 9,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you ever make it to Manchester, the Marble pub is not to be missed. Not only is the ale choice supreme, they do a superb cheese platter - 9 very generous pieces from around Europe for about £11.
  • bloke 2 Jan 2013 14:06:09 1,489 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dark Star do no wrong in my eyes - and my personal Beer of the Year didn't arrive until December in the form of a pint of their Imperial Stout.

It's the kind of drink they always promised you beer would be, but so rarely ever actually is.

Mind you - at 10.4%, it's hardly a session beer, but is a knockout Winter Warmer.
  • askew 2 Jan 2013 14:12:13 12,163 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:

For the first time ever I saw the Scotch in their natural habitat, and it weren't pretty. I'd seen them huddling in stations before, being loud but… this time I was surrounded. Everywhere I went it felt like they were watching me; fish-white flesh puckered by the Highland breeze; tight eyes peering out for fresh meat; screechy, booze-soaked voices hollering out for a taxi to take 'em halfway up the road to the next all-night watering hole. A shatter of glass; a round of applause; a sixteen-year-old mother of three vomiting in an open sewer, bairns looking on, chewing on potato cakes.
    gLOL - is that from Darkplace?

Dunno if anyone's from round 'ere, but Brewdog have opened up in Birmingham: different ales/stouts/crazy shit on just about every day judging by their Twitter feed.
  • JuanKerr 2 Jan 2013 14:30:57 36,239 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    If you ever make it to Manchester, the Marble pub is not to be missed. Not only is the ale choice supreme, they do a superb cheese platter - 9 very generous pieces from around Europe for about £11.
    If I ever do go to Manchester, I shall definitely check that out. I do like Marble beers.
  • JuanKerr 2 Jan 2013 14:31:06 36,239 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And cheese.
  • smoothpete 2 Jan 2013 14:36:00 31,486 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To my amazement, The Slug & Lettuce now have Sierra Nevada on tap.
  • JuanKerr 2 Jan 2013 14:41:24 36,239 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tasty. Shame it's in the Slug & Lettuce though ;)
  • MrSemprini 2 Jan 2013 15:10:30 9,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    askew wrote:gLOL - is that from Darkplace?
    While I'd like to take credit for it, it is indeed plucked from the genius pen of Garth Marenghi.
  • Jono62 3 Jan 2013 17:11:35 14,052 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry JK, I was still recovering from my New Year's jaunt in a metal. Wow, so much metal and in places I'd thought couldn't be pierced. Anyway....

The first offering from Innis and Gunn was simply called Original and at 6.6% was the lowest abv of the three sampled. Sniffing the ale, produced and amalgamation of flavours including citrus and honey. From the smell alone, this ale was begging to be drunk.It was a nice taste, with a hint of toffee and, once swallowed, a vanilla essence filled the mouth. Didn't taste like a strong ale and was dispatched quickly, each mouthful being concluded by a satisfied 'ahh'. The main problem I had was, being part of a gift set, the bottle was too small and my satifaction was shortlived.

The second offering is known as rum finish and, surprisingly, it had a rum finish. At 7.4%, it had a little kick to it, but wasn't overwhelming. The first whiff had the properties of rum, as well as a hint of toffee and that was the basic flavour. Although tasty, it didn't stand out as much as the Original and as such, don't remember much about it except for the rum finish.

The final offering has the longest name and as a porter fan was the one I was looking forward to drinking the most. Winter Treacle Porter comes at 7.4% and doesn't have the look of porter. In fact, in looks, it seemed like a darker version of the Rum finish ale. The first sniff was of caramel and dark chocolate which isn't overbearing. The taste was similar to the smell, but also had a hint of coffee and faint taste of mulled wine. If this was anything but a porter, it would be fantastic, however as a porter, it doesn't have the colour or the punch of others.

In conclusion, the original was the best, followed by the porter then the rum finish.
  • MrSemprini 4 Jan 2013 13:21:42 9,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice!

But you're going to have to explain this:

Jono62 wrote:
    I was still recovering from my New Year's jaunt in a metal. Wow, so much metal and in places I'd thought couldn't be pierced.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jan 2013 13:28:11 43,767 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oooh, Nightmare from that brewery with a chalk horse as their symbol. Chocolate, burnt coffee and warmth, very full bodied for a 5.0% beer. Top stuff.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• smoothpete 4 Jan 2013 13:36:58 31,486 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Tasty. Shame it's in the Slug & Lettuce though ;)
    It's also 5 quid :(
  • MrSemprini 4 Jan 2013 13:43:44 9,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Oooh, Nightmare from that brewery with a chalk horse as their symbol. Chocolate, burnt coffee and warmth, very full bodied for a 5.0% beer. Top stuff.
    Hambleton? Yes, a very pleasing ale if it's the one I'm thinking of.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jan 2013 13:57:01 43,767 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep Hambleton. Did a lot with a little that ale did, I was highly impressed.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• JuanKerr 4 Jan 2013 14:03:19 36,239 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds good. Think they sell some of their stuff in Sainsbury's.

Had a bottle of Kernel India Brown Ale over Christmas. Absolutely glorious , buy some if you ever see it for sale.

Edited by JuanKerr at 14:03:43 04-01-2013
  • MrSemprini 4 Jan 2013 14:24:18 9,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cam't recall which, but one of their stouts or porters is a winner too. Probably both come to think of it.
  • JuanKerr 4 Jan 2013 14:42:30 36,239 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All Kernel's stuff that I've tried is very nice indeed. Really nice branding too.
  • Jono62 4 Jan 2013 16:04:34 14,052 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone tried any Sambrook offerings? I'm working in Battersea and they have a brewery nearby, so thought about trying them out.

@MrSemprini - I'm remaining tight lipped, much like the lady in question.
  • mal 4 Jan 2013 16:52:56 22,448 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've had a few pints of their Wandle over the past few years south of the river. It's very dependable, if not all that exciting.

Got a bottle of Bath beers at Christmas including Gem, Wild Hare, Dark Side and Barnsey (nee Barnstormer). I'm not a big fan of stouts, and prefer a porter, and the Dark Side is perhaps more of a stout than any of the Irish stouts. Wild Hare is probably the best organic beer I've had, but that's not saying much. Gem is probably the better session beer, being more run of the mill, but I did find it a little unremarkable in the context of a gift set. I did rather enjoy the Barnsey though, and impressively dark dark ale, and worth the price of admission alone.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Vortex808 10 Jan 2013 18:24:20 7,063 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    \o/

My online ale order arrived at home today.

13 bottles of quality booze to quaff. Even if a few are old favourites, 10 are unknown.

Sipping a Victory beer 'Golden Monkey' as I type. It claims to be a belgian inspired tripel beer and I can taste that. A slightly spicy beer that certainly is giving a golden glow on an empty stomach while we cook.

Nice. Hope this augurs well for the rest. I look forward to finding out.

:)

Edit: at 9.5% no wonder it gives a golden glow!

Edited by Vortex808 at 18:25:37 10-01-2013
  • Vortex808 12 Jan 2013 17:16:10 7,063 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Having a US brewed Flying Dog ales 'Old Scratch' amber lager (5.5%).

It looks cloudy, and is more like the colour of an 80/- than a lager.

It's rather bland, with a watery slightly treacle-y flavour. If I hadn't had some other beers from them that were ok, I'd avoid buying any more from them in future as this is not to my taste at all.

I'm glad it's only a 355ml bottle.

Disappointing.
  • TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 17:24:30 3,038 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Everyone knows and loves Brewdog, right? ;))

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 17:27:17 3,038 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just had a poke through the thread, seems most of you have got bored of a brewdog. well I fucking love them. :))

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Vortex808 13 Jan 2013 20:45:12 7,063 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a Williams Bros Scots Pine Ale last night. It was pleasant enough with a light flower-y taste. I've not spent any time around scots pine's to know if it was authentic. ;)

Tonight's brew is a Marzen 'Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer' from Bavaria. At 5.1% it's not too potent, and to paraphrase our ronseal co-alition folks, it does exactly what it says on the bottle.

It's a chestnut hued beer that tastes of smoke.

I can't spot any cigarette residue floating in it thankfully, since it kind of reminds me of drinking from  the wrong can after using an empty beer can as an impomptu ashtray at a party many moons ago.

The beer's ok, but not sure I'd buy it again.

I keep thinking of smoked cheese for some reason too, but it's probably more reminiscent of one of the peat-y whisky malts like talisker, or lagavulin etc. Which I don't really like.

Edited by Vortex808 at 20:50:16 13-01-2013
  • muttler 15 Jan 2013 20:27:33 3,984 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its the camra exeter beer festival this friday, will be there most of the day, if anyone else is going.
  • Page

of 90 First / Last